TIAA-CREF Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Changing Culture And Not For Good

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Great benefits, great co-workers, and competitively depending on your job title.

Cons

Ere currently is a culture clash in which the company wants to act like a public company in regards to production but is not ready for that kind of change. Inefficient process, old technology, and management doesn't understand the market or the industry.

Advice to Management

Need to begin hiring experts from other successful companies. Too much internal hiring can lead to group think that at the end of the day never brings fresh ideas or new perspectives.

2. Great company

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everything is great at the company

Cons

Nothing is wrong with the company

Advice to Management

None

3. Financial Analyst

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Great benefits and the flexibility is great.

Cons

Not many downsides of working at Cref.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with the employees.

5. Excellent Company. Lots of growth

Current Employee - Infrastructure Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has a great IT budget, Great Vision and supporting execution of the strategy for the company.

Cons

Too focused on headcount, and not overall budget of the company. Also TOO focused on diversity/ inclusion. I think they are significantly ahead of any other company.

6. Great place to work in the industry

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Good pay good people and benefits

Cons

There is a lot of overtime required

Good salary, good people, overall good experience.

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

5+ years with company. TIAA-CREF allowed me the freedom to develop my skills without feeling micromanaged. I was paid well and treated well. The training was superb. I was offered training in personal and professional development. Employees felt free to attend training when time allowed. I never felt afraid that I was going to be judged for not knowing something; instead, I felt at ease to ask a colleague.

Cons

Not too many cons. Management should do a better job about policing who is hired within management. There were a couple of people that were obviously contributing nothing. It literally felt as if they were allowed to hang around because they were someone's favorite or they hung out with the right group.

Advice to Management

See above.

For Information Technology (IT) roles - potentially difficult place to work. A good company in many aspects.

Former Employee - IT Technical Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - IT Technical Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits and compensation, excellent diversity. Many opportunities to learn and help fix things. Training is available for self starters, on site health care. They are trying to improve things. Met many good and knowledgeable people. I believe most employees are doing the best the can within their roles, training and political constraints.

Cons

Application environment is fragile and fragmented after many years of change to business processes after which many knowledgeable people were let go and replaced by clueless contractors. In reaction an agile scrum devops approach was implemented and is driving massive change which creates instability in the environment. Management levels are under pressure to deliver new features while also improving reliability. For some teams in IT there is little or no work life balance. There is too high a dependence on contractors/contingent workers. Environment can be chaotic when things go wrong. Politics drives the wrong behavior at times.

Advice to Management

IT Senior Management needs to implement skip level meetings with the troops. Don't wait for them to reach out. Just schedule them. Find out what the troops think and forget about IT mid level managers who are driving their own agendas. Make work life balance for those with little or no power your number one priority.

Used to be Amazing

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

brilliant people, tricycle race, good offices

Cons

senior management doesn't listen to employees
    decisions are passed down the chain of command

Advice to Management

reach out to your employees and ask how you can make their jobs better.
    don't fire people for reasons other than performance

10. Analyst at TIAA CREF

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Many contract workers that weren't as committed to projects or knowledgeable with processes

In many ways, a utopia away from the wirehouse & big bank/brokerage worlds

Current Employee - Wealth Management
    Current Employee - Wealth Management

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative, team atmosphere. The people, culture, mission, clients & benefits make this a great place. Very unique in this regard. 10 years in the business and feel that I can finally solve problems with clients who are fantastic to work with as intelligent, engaging and inquisitive investors who are more reasonable in their expectations, more savvy in investment acumen, and more willing to go through the planning process than I have experienced anywhere. A very captive audience of educated doctors, professors and professionals in non-profit, academia, healthcare, research and more makes the job all that much more fulfilling every day. I find the interests of the firm are never at odds with the interests of our clients, and this is a very special place for this reason. I enjoy the challenge of bringing your A-game, for those of us who have been in the business for several years, you will appreciate advising ivy league Econ professor types. Not for the inexperienced, entry level, or fake it to you make it cheap salesmen. Our clients are gonna see right through ya. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Cons

The systems, tools and processes are THE WORST. Unfortunately, the worst part of the job is when someone else does not do theirs. There are many excellent reasons to come to TIAA-CREF, the back office & platform is NOT ONE OF THEM. A rapidly growing broker dealer that is experiencing growing pains, but rapidly making positive changes. If you come here from a big 4 wirehouse, you will go through culture shock. I see many who have a difficult time with the concept of becoming an employee and no longer having everyone pandering to their needs and "practice". You have great partner resources, but no sales assistants or internal business teams bending over backward to earn your business. All employees here, nobody works on commission, and those of us who stick it out and find it a fit rather like this. You will likely miss the platforms you took for granted. You will be doing a lot of data entry, processing and operational duties yourself. If you are a rainmaker and owning your own book is important to you, you probably will not be looking at a WMA position here to begin with. You have too many clients, this can be a good thing in many ways, but a con trying to manage. Many tier 1 WMA's who bring in $50MM a year wish they were doing so somewhere where they saw the real money, which means you eventually work into the quandary of not making the high payouts and trails over time you could elsewhere, but in all likelihood would never have been in the position networking & dialing on your own. Not exactly the place to make it rich, but is the place to lead with real planning & have more than enough people to get in front of, a generous income, retirement benefits, and feel good about the work you do. In other words, I never miss the Wells Fargo Advisors or Merrill Lynch culture, but do find myself homesick for the technology & efficiency, but to each their own. The good out-ways the bad for me day to day.

Advice to Management

My colleagues all agree, the biggest barrier is not getting in front of people, but doing business with the firm. TC could go from good to great with some investments to IAS efficiency. Growing quickly, but need to reinforce the infrastructure before the headcount at this juncture. Service issues, NIGO paperwork, CAG delays and working on 7 different systems is a massive productivity drain. We have faith in you Roger, Kathy, Chris! Let's make it happen. The firms has built a great reputation and culture for the right reasons, striving to become more like our competitor peers would be a mistake. Preserve the culture! Keep hiring the best- TC is not a good place for entry level, our clients see through inexperience and sales cronies. They deserve the best experienced personnel. We are poised to win more business and grow if we keep the wheels on and be the best we can be.

RSS Feed </> Embed