TIAA-CREF Reviews

Reset

Living in the Past, gradually getting into the 90's

Current Employee - Technical Leader in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Leader in Dayton, OH

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Work from home. Company supports remote employees so no need to move to Charlotte NC, Iselin NJ or New York.

Cons

Good ol' boy network. Stuck in the past (though very very slowly trying to move forward). Mostly Indian "Contingent Worker" workforce Process bound. Spends too much time making sure everyone/everything is politically correct while only paying lip service to quality

Advice to Management

Replace the entire infrastructure management team. Really help quality improve rather than just talking about it.

Senior Solutions Architect

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good client-focused culture. Usually a good collaborative atmosphere. Healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Can be very bureaucratic. Lack of clear roles in the IT department. IT department is rapidly changing to catch up to competitors.

Consultant-inbound

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Good benefits and some good people

Cons

Micro-managed daily. If you do your job well not recognized.

Advice to Management

Quit playing favorities

5. Good place to work

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time

Pros

Good culture. Good benefits including really good contributions to retirement plan and good medical insurance.

Cons

Can be very bureaucratic. Highly matrixed so it can be very difficult to get things done.

Technical Lead

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Good pension benefits, nice options for 401k and the company pension plan. That is about it.

Cons

Horrible parking arrangement, you WILL spend good time looking for a spot if you come after 8pm. Employee monitoring - they ARE taking screenshots of everything you do, if you thought government was violating, well, welcome to TIAA CREF. People get fired and escorted out all the time. Diversity - don't let a bunch of crap on the corporate intranet fool you: If by diversity you mean 70% Indian contractors, 10% African Americans & 20% white old guys landed their to get their pension benefits, then you are right on point. When you are a contractor, get ready to be stuck in a lab room with 40 of your peers.

Advice to Management

Good job heading where you should be down the sewer. Keep it up.

Wealth Management Advisor

Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very generous commission grid. If you are willing to focus on pushing clients into Tiaa-Crefs proprietary managed products you can make a tremendous amount of money. External assets placed into Tiaa-Crefs proprietary managed products pays four times the commissions than assets transferred into Tiaa-Cref and are self-directed by the customer. If you convince a client to move assets from their existing, low cost institutional defined contribution plan and place those assets into a proprietary managed solution, you will only receive 2 1/2 times the commission you would have if the assets came from outside of Tiaa-Cref. Base salary plus very generous commissions on proprietary products.

Cons

Wealth Management Directors. I was a top performing Advisor who just recently left for a true Wealth Management Department. Many of the Wealth Management Directors have absolutely no actual Wealth Management experience and practically no client facing experience. Management is very hypercritical of staff who have far more experience in Wealth Management than they have.

Advice to Management

Cull the entire Wealth Management Department from top to bottom. Many of the Directors are very complicit in unethical behavior.

I have in large insurance company,TIAA-Cref as a customer data maintenance specialist and corporate imaging specialist

Former Employee - Corporate Imaging Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Corporate Imaging Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Because I have work in similar job for 24 years.

Cons

Since we relocated from NYC we have outsource two two different company

Advice to Management

To me some of the upper that was at this company was not management material they was very unprofessional and had to much favoritism.

9. Big Company Focused on the Customer

Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits Good Hours. They are focused on the customer and not on putting their profits first. They are financially very stable

Cons

TIAA can still have a little bit of a tenure based approach to promotions which reflects its traditional base as an insurer, though they are aware of this and making great strides.

Advice to Management

Continue focus on creating more senior roles outside of NYC headquarters. Continue focus on putting needs of the member first so as to distinguish company from other financial services firms.

If the performance of the managers were as good as the fund's investment performance

Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot.

Cons

There was not a manager I worked for who had ever done my job. Clueless in the saddle management. They second guessed your every encounter with a client...why didn't you say this, why didn't you MAKE THEM FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE in their investment knowledge so that they will roll their money into an IRA and let us managed it? The best line from a manager 'you don't need to make them bleed in order to feel pain'. NICE..... Your primary job is bringing in new money...if they tell you anything else, you are being lied to your face.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better in giving them a voice to be heard about client concerns which impacts the company. Stop making the person/team who brings up issues be seen as the problem.

to whom much is given much is expected.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. One of the most generous vacation packages in the Industry.

Cons

Very demanding culture. Definitely a New York centric culture at times views Denver, Charlotte and Boston offices as intellectual inferiors. Work life balance can be an issue if you don't set good boundaries. I have gotten emails at 2am on Easter Sunday with the expectation of a response by 8am the following day. I've witnessed folks being carried out on a gurney from exhaustion because they refused to set appropriate work/life boundaries.

Advice to Management

Watch the negativity from your mangers. There's a lot of gloom and doom among middle managers but they sing smiles and rainbows to Sr. leaders. Trust your employees and mind the micro-management style. Most of your newer employees come from outside where the culture was more collaborative. Use that as an opportunity to learn a new style instead of resorting to a "we're different" excuse.

RSS Feed </> Embed