TIRR Memorial Hermann Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
5 reviews filtered by
3.5
CEO

Incredible place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at TIRR Memorial Hermann full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

TIRR is seriously one of the best facilities I've ever worked in (and I've worked in multiple settings, both full time and as contract). The culture here has constantly pushed me to grow as a clinician and as a person. Being "good" at what we do isn't enough - we strive to constantly be better and better in order to provide the patients with the best possible chance of recovery. The patients and their families inspire me daily and my co-workers are some of the most dedicated, compassionate therapists I've ever seen.

Cons

It is a high-stress facility. That just comes from working with the catastrophic injuries that we see on a daily basis. It's impossible NOT to get close to the patients and families that we see for at least an hour and a half every day, for sometimes several weeks. That being said, I do feel like our management and leadership staff do a good job of preparing us and giving us the resources we need to do our job as well as throw in some fun stuff here and there just to "de-stress."

As for benefits, health insurance gets worse each year with less coverage, higher premiums and higher deductibles.

2. Fabulous Patients however therapists are not valued

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Houston, TX

I have been working at TIRR Memorial Hermann full-time

Pros

The variety of neurologic patients that come to TIRR are wonderful. As a therapist you are able to challenge yourself clinically and grow in your skills treating neurologic patients. There is a good orientation, and exposure to technology/equipment not found in other places.

Cons

Collaboration is near none. There is no value placed on keeping experienced therapists or even 1-2 year experienced employees with the company. There seems to be a 2-3 year rotation of staff except for the senior level staff, who most are part time, because most people burn out in a few years from the unrealistic time expectations. In outpatient PT there is the addition of many satellite locations, however the therapists that are experienced are few, making the quality of care less beneficial for the patient, and putting new graduates in a position to fail. This is increased by the case management, paperwork, and special project requirements that are put on staff. Most therapists end up working at least 50+ hours per week because with this patient population you are not able to document while treating like in many settings. Leadership is Memorial Hermann who only cares about the bottom line, and numbers are everything. They have multiple mid-level managers who are ultimately not powerful enough to enact meaningful change. Benefits are terrible, MH is it's own HMO, no out of network benefits, and other perks of a large system are nothing special.

Value staff's time, experience, and

3. I love working for Memorial Hermann Hospital

Current Employee - Mlt in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mlt in Houston, TX

I have been working at TIRR Memorial Hermann part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice colleagues and mellow environment

Cons

No holiday bonuses or celebrations

Give holiday bonuses to give incentives to work.

5. Excellent exposure to fast-paced healthcare delivery

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at TIRR Memorial Hermann full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HR made it easy to hire new staff. Meaningful work that clinical and non-clincal workers alike could agree made a difference in patients' lives.

Cons

Senior leadership not interested in grooming staff, revolving-door management. Face-paced environment and tight budgets left little resources for training. Information systems not designed for rehabilitative medicine.

Focus on training staff instead of asking managers to throw employees into "sink-or-swim" environment.

6. Great staff and patients but poor managers

I worked at TIRR Memorial Hermann full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful and knowledgeable staff working with patients in a caring manner. Good benefits and 40k plan with opportunity to learn from experts in your field of study.

Cons

Managers have little people skills and poor judgement. Most decisions by management based on $$$ and not what is best for patient recovery. Constant battle to get what patients need.

Get some training on dealing with people and stop being afraid to make decisions.