TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible hours, okay environment, some nice people, and okay employee discount (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 53 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Tj Maxx is hard work, but by far the best job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Cash Office Coordinator
    Current Employee - Cash Office Coordinator

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have an open availability, you can literally work as much as YOU want. They will start off scheduling you around 2-3 shifts a week. But there are ALWAYS people looking to give up their shifts. And if you take them, and show that you're dedicated, they will start scheduling you more and more. And then you'll have the opportunity to apply for a Coordinator position eventually, which is a dollar pay raise and many more hours. And from my understanding, after you're a coordinator for so long and you make it known that you'd like to be an assistant manager, you'll eventually get there if you work hard enough&they believe you have what it takes. You can make a career out of this job if you need/want to.

Cons

While being a full time coordinator is great, you work 8-10 hour days 5 days a week. If you call out, you screw everyone over. Even if you're super sick, have a migraine, or are upset with family matters, GO IN. If you call out, it looks extremely bad.You also maintain a set schedule with other coordinators, and switch off weekends amongst each other so not one person is stuck working every Saturday for a month straight. But if one of them requests that saturday they were supposed to work off, one of you will have to take it. I've only been a coordinator for a short amount of time, so I feel that everyone just expects me to be fine with working close to every Saturday. I feel that by being the newbie, I get walked all over and tend to get the short stick. So respect comes with time, don't expect it to be given right away.

Positives in joyful etc happy

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

Not enough hours for 120 ppl

Cons

Longer hours better discounts df

I had a wonderful experience with TJ Maxx. I worked part-time in the evenings and on weekends.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost, the discount, salary was decent for part-time and the interaction with staff and customers.

Cons

Sometimes the weekends can be a bit much and employees needed more training in order to advance.

Full and part-time employees should have the option for medical benefits. Also more training for employees to advance.

Tj maxx is good for people who plan to stay a long time

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

Flexible, managers usually care, open door policy

Cons

Poor pay, high expectations, high turnover

Love my job but its stressful to a point.

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

Been there 5 months, love absolutely everything about it. In 5 months of working there everything comes more naturally now cause when you first start everything seems a mess. Every promise was kept, moved up fast in the business, management is great and caring and so are coworkers.

Cons

all the young kids they hire, everyone quits and we tend to stay short on people and it stresses everyone out. High school kids aren't that responsible, also I wish they'd drug test if we had drug tests we wouldn't really need an "associate tip line" if you ask me...

nothing all of you are absolutely amazing I wish people appreciated y'all more so we wouldn't feel so low our selves sometimes when we deserve a pat.

Front Line Supervisor

Former Employee - Front Line Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Front Line Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome management, decent wages, & rock solid benefits!

Cons

long work hours and sometimes rude customers

Customer Service Sales Associate

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Riverhead, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Riverhead, NY

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of retailing.

Cons

Mixed scheduling low pay scale.

Hire from within the ranks towards management.

Benefits are awesome. Management very weak.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

Benefits are the only reason I stay. They also raise your wage every couple months or so. They are very flexible about availabilities.

Cons

Management does not know how to manage when it comes to employees. They are fine with customers but when sexual harassment is happening, they do not even take action. Women are not safe.

Do not contact your supervisor when someone is shot! You are supposed to call 911!

Great Place To Grow

Current Employee - Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly management throughout all levels of the company. There is an actual, encouraged, open dialogue between associates and management; it isn't just some talking point provided by HR. The company encourages and tries to develop growth from within the company and there is actual opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The technology is very dated. The company's unwillingness to embrace certain advances in available technology has lessened over the years, but they are still very much behind where they should be at this point in integration of different areas of the company.

Push for technology upgrades, it would probably decrease shrink, especially in target stores.

everything is going nicely

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

fairly treated and reasonable hours i like the environment here and getting the job was a farily straight forward process

Cons

nothing for now as it appears the pay is above minimum and not an extremely hard job to perfom

TJ Maxx Photos