TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere with great people, flexible schedule to work around school etc (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible hours, okay environment, some nice people, and okay employee discount (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 52 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Average Retail Job !

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate  in  New Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in New Hyde Park, NY

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall I liked working at TJ Maxx.
    -Cute clothes
    -Can cash your check at the register
    -Easy workday

Cons

Rude customers! They bring old returns back and can only get store credit , they will curse you out in a heartbeat!!
    You are constantly reminded to solicite credit, if you don't you might get written up.
    Lines are always long.. So be prepared to hear customers yelling at you like its the associates fault.

Need more cashiers to work the same shift so lines won't be so long!

Please don't write us up when we honestly forget to ask the customers if they want our TJX rewards card when it has a high interest rate and the customer automatically says no to the credit card.

Customer service

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Easy people to work with.

Easy going environment.

Very flexible with your schedule

Cons

Not enough people working the registers when we had copious amounts of costumers to attend too.

Great company to start a long term retail career.

Current Employee - StoreManagement  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - StoreManagement in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The store management was extremely caring of the workers personal and school lives. Associates were recognized for exceptional customer service and work performance on a daily basis. Although, most jobs are entry level, their was a lot of opportunity to advance into department level or store management level careers. Company very flexible in working with associates availability. Company supports community charity events and local community activities, Store associates enjoy assisting customers with all the new daily designer name brands. Company has a very open and friendly work and shopping environment.

Cons

Store could improve the training process. More structure of associate training on departmental and operational procedures. to much on the job training without daily mentors and store trainers. Store needs more cashiers so floor associates can focus on keeping departments clean, straight and easier to shop. store wage usually starts at minimum wage, which leads to the lack of attracting quality experienced retail associates from applying.

Great morale and team work in the stores from associates and management. Seems to be a need increase hourly pay for consistent performances. May need to have additional KEY level trainers and mentors to just work with new hire associates and not used as cashiers. Great company to work towards a retail career. Corporate must look at differentiating store level hours with compensation and quicker career path movement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TJ Maxx is great if you know the members of management!

Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC)  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment in the store is constantly changing - whether it's new employees or new merchandise, there's something new to look forward to each time you come to work. Discount is 10% - sometimes 20% on special employee discount days. Great insight to beginning in retail. Ability to grow (if you're friendly with the management and good at your job). Decent wages - nothing that isn't expected. Salary (aka hours that can be scheduled in a given week) gets cut at certain times of the year but that's nothing new in the retail world but the amount of hours is still decent. Great health insurance benefits for full time employees.

Cons

The managers have to like you for you to get a decent schedule and sometimes it can be hard to get days off. I wish the discount was bigger! The occasional rude customer puts a damper on everyone's mood.

More incentives for TJX Rewards cards - maybe $$ for each employee that gets one. $3/rewards or something - instead of giving it to the store?

Good job while in school

Current Employee - Cross Trained Associate  in  Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Cross Trained Associate in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, okay environment, some nice people, and okay employee discount.

Cons

Managers don't always show integrity, can be unnecessarily rude, high turnover rate, and will higher almost anyone including alcoholics (occasionally tipsy at work) and perverts.

Stop preaching about integrity while you show none, don't yelling at us to ask everyone to sign up for a dumb rewards credit card, don't promote idiots that steal money or quit within a month, and stop being mad if my college hours decrease my work availability.

Get to see things first

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best pro is being able to see the new things coming into the store and being able to have first pick. Get paid every Friday and the ability to cash your check at the cashier is awesome!

Cons

They really expect a lot of work and only pay flat line minimum. On your feet the entire time, only get a 15 minute break.

Have a better break room, you expect employees to work like slaves, at least provide a nice break room.

My overall experience has been positive.

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist  in  Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Evansville, IN

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement. The benefits package they offer is one of the best I have ever had.

Cons

It requires a lot of flexibility and you put in a ton of hours.

Positive Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Commack, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commack, NY

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

10% sometimes 20% discounts
    Friendly customer service
    Employees feel appreciated
    Everyone is treated equally which leads to great culture and increased morale in the workplace (no favoritism)
    Paid vacation and personal time
    Easy to get promoted to the top
    Great quality and selection of merchandise
    No "empty promises"
    Hours are flexible

Cons

Nothing wrong about working here

Keep up the good work!

retail, pricing, inventory, cash transactions, zoning, hanging, proper sensoring on merchandise,

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Newnan, GA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

everyone in the working environment works together as a team and it makes your job easier

Cons

when customers try to make returns of items that don't belong to our store and having to let them know that we are not able to take it can sometimes be a problem because the customer will sometimes pick an argument with u and if it gets out of hand then definitely call a manager to take over

they treat all employees fear I love working with them

Sometimes fun, but the pay is the main problem here.

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

You will love the environment. Working with people is great.

Cons

The pay is my main concern. This is not something I want to do the rest of my life.

TJ Maxx Photos

Front of the store
Inside the store
Inside the store

+ Add Photo

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!