TJ Maxx Reviews

741 reviews filtered by
3.2
TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 38 reviews)

• Flexible hours and not a part time job that felt like a full time job (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 55 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 47 reviews)

1. Great Place!

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

The atmosphere is fast paced and fun. The company makes it easy to learn the best ways to accomplish your job. They don't like their employees to stall. In fact TJ Maxx actively coaches you on all the different departments and different positions within the company.

Cons

The hours are not really full-time. If you're hired at full-time, be lucky to get 30 hours a week. Also, forget about the overtime.

District management should learn that scare tactics just hinders the efforts the local management is making.

2. Best job ever.

Current Employee - Cec/Key Carrier in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Cec/Key Carrier in Tustin, CA

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management, and company. Associates are grest. We are like a family. Everyone helps. We are a great team. I have never seen a management team work like this one does.

Cons

Changes policy alot. Nothing else bad I can think of. Love TJ MAXX. Needs Jr. Plus size clothing. We get asked a lot for that.

Keep up the good work.

3. You can go far if you work hard.

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Albany, NY

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company benefits, inclusive work environment, flexible schedule. Hard work is recognized & rewarded. Promotions opportunities for the ambitious. Fast paced environment makes the day go quickly. Team atmosphere.

Cons

Call outs and lazy workers are tolerated. Frustrating to those who truly work hard. Makes you wonder what management is so afraid of--why do they accept this behavior?

Get some backbone, get rid of the no-shows and don't cares.

5. It was a pretty cool job.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

It was a great first job. You will learn a lot of skills, especially customer service skills.

Cons

There are minimal advancement opportunities.

Allow all interested employees a fair opportunity to advance.

As a seasonal employee my experience was limited but I enjoyed the team I worked with as well as the company itself.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seeing first hand the different products the company sells.

Cons

The lack of hours given is not enough for the average employee.

I feel the management did a good job educating & interacting with staff members.

7. great employer for entry level job

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Flexible hours good employees fun

Cons

Low pay, long hours no advancement

listen to employees, better pay

8. It was a good first job for me. It's dependable, stable and all that jazz

Former Employee - Retail Associate/Infield in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Associate/Infield in Houston, TX

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Higher than minimum wage, hires quickly, can learn several parts of the store.

Cons

Sometimes your manager can place your worth as an employee based on how many credit applications you got from customers that day. Also, promotions can be difficult if you're younger. Also, the discount is very low.

The store manager was great, she was friendly and involved. They have a lot of managers, so there's always one or two there and they're pretty useful.

9. A good starting point for young professionals, but only the truly determined and driven will succeed.

Current Employee - Fitting Room Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Fitting Room Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, flexible schedules, and anyone can learn any part of the job. Not everyone is crosstrained, but if you request it, they deliver. Advance knowledge of stock - which changes often - and an additional employee discount on already-discounted merchandise. Sporadic opportunities to climb the corporate ladder.

Cons

It's really only a starting point for most people. If you want to be successful, you have to have drive and tenacity. I had the same job for five years. In that time, I watched a colleague get hired, learn every part of the store, and rise through the ranks until she went to another branch for further training. While inspiring, it's not for everyone.

If you work in the fitting room, be ready for at least one person to let their kid pee on the fitting room floor and then not tell anyone.

Also: Christmas is difficult. Just keep smiling and ask for help from your coworkers before you become desperate (they'll be busy, too, and will need the extra response time).

Re-familiarize your district managers with associate tasks. In my few years at TJ Maxx, our district manager imposed some unreasonable changes that not only made others' jobs harder, but made shopping more difficult for our customers.

10. Amazing

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

I work part time and get at least 25-30hrs a week which is great, I wasn't treated as the "new girl". Mangers are very willing to work with your schedule. I love working here (:

Cons

Sometimes I would get scheduled to close and then open the very next day, which wasn't ideal.

11. Store Manager

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Looks at promoting talent quickly

Cons

Seems like the employees run the store. Management has no leverage against underperforming associates

TJ Maxx Photos