TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 33 reviews)

• Flexible hours with nice managers (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 48 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

TJ Maxx is great if you know the members of management!

Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC)  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment in the store is constantly changing - whether it's new employees or new merchandise, there's something new to look forward to each time you come to work. Discount is 10% - sometimes 20% on special employee discount days. Great insight to beginning in retail. Ability to grow (if you're friendly with the management and good at your job). Decent wages - nothing that isn't expected. Salary (aka hours that can be scheduled in a given week) gets cut at certain times of the year but that's nothing new in the retail world but the amount of hours is still decent. Great health insurance benefits for full time employees.

Cons

The managers have to like you for you to get a decent schedule and sometimes it can be hard to get days off. I wish the discount was bigger! The occasional rude customer puts a damper on everyone's mood.

More incentives for TJX Rewards cards - maybe $$ for each employee that gets one. $3/rewards or something - instead of giving it to the store?

Positive Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Commack, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commack, NY

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

10% sometimes 20% discounts
    Friendly customer service
    Employees feel appreciated
    Everyone is treated equally which leads to great culture and increased morale in the workplace (no favoritism)
    Paid vacation and personal time
    Easy to get promoted to the top
    Great quality and selection of merchandise
    No "empty promises"
    Hours are flexible

Cons

Nothing wrong about working here

Keep up the good work!

retail, pricing, inventory, cash transactions, zoning, hanging, proper sensoring on merchandise,

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Newnan, GA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

everyone in the working environment works together as a team and it makes your job easier

Cons

when customers try to make returns of items that don't belong to our store and having to let them know that we are not able to take it can sometimes be a problem because the customer will sometimes pick an argument with u and if it gets out of hand then definitely call a manager to take over

they treat all employees fear I love working with them

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TJ Maxx gave me the chance at a career.

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Open communication; 45-50 hour work week; Unlimited potential for advancement; Recognition of hard work, motivation and determination.

Cons

Moving from Merch Manager to Operations Manager is considered a lateral move, even though it comes with a lot more responsibilities, so it doesn't come with a pay increase.

All in all, my experience with TJ Maxx has been very positive. Most co-workers have been very agreeable and the work environment makes leaving my family every day bearable. Given the opportunity, I can see myself making great advancements within the company. Thank you for the opportunity!

This is an amazing friendly place to work

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate  in  Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Niles, OH

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. Yearly raises. Some nice people.

Cons

Some people are just a pain to work with

Great Culture, positive employees and management

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very easy scheduling. Able to work the times of the day that seem to be the best for each employee.

Cons

the reason for easy scheduling is because there many part time employees. So during non peak periods of the year the hours are cut quite a bit.

My experience has been with the store management which is awesome.

Great Work Environment

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were fantastic as was the overall work discount and the benefit of having a discount. Hours were flexible as well

Cons

Lack of diversity in certain settings, not requiring employees to speak English, no set way to run things as each manager seems to push their own criteria

Require all employees to at least speak some English. While being bilingual is definitely a plus, speaking little to no English can be advwrse to a positive customer exeperience

Wonderful!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

They're not a union, so you don't get BS union taxes pulled out of your paycheck. You actually get the amount you probably work for. The management is so lovely. They care about their employees and their pay checks. Also, they feed you a lot. At my TJ Maxx, they had a lot of holiday parties and random pot lucks. A great first job, and I should have stuck with it for a very long time.

Cons

Very slow, so sometimes boring and not much to do.

N/A

Fantastic work environment great management

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Florence, KY

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Its great to work for tj maxx they work with almost any schedule and are very open to where if you have a problem its very easy to come to them about it. they offer annual reviews which determine raises. hours are within reason for a retail store ours was 9:30am to 9:30pm. excellent training and a very charitable company there is always some kind of charity event going on and also people often bring in food or will order pizza for the employees.

Cons

the work life balance can be difficult because i did not have a set schedule but they work well with varying schedules such as school and other jobs.
    i found my store to be a tad sexist towards men who work there no men will ever work in the womens department, rarely jewelry, and never ever in the fitting room so your only option is mens & kids or the home department.
    the hours were slightly strange the most common shift was 5:00pm to 9:45pm they leave 15 minutes for time to close.

let male employees work other areas the same area can quickly become stale and coordinate the training a little better people often will teach completely different things but this was being improved on when i left.

Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

This company offers flexible scheduling, open atmosphere, and benefits. Excellent for first time job.

Cons

The company doesn't have a job posting board at the location to update employees about what positions are available.

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!