TJ Maxx

Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 38 reviews)

• Flexible hours and not a part time job that felt like a full time job (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 55 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

full time 15 plus years

Current Employee - Full Time in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Full Time in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am thankful I have a job. Have seen a lot of managers come and go and employees some are missed others not so much .Tjmaxx is closed thanksgiving, After 20 years you get 5 weeks vacation.

Cons

management is so busy worried about credit card apps, unions coming in,and keeping the pay of employees down,
    Yes we know that your bonuses are made on the store stats.And if you do not make your numbers you will be shipped off to an under performing store where yes you will only receive your salary.Company values are $ not employees

store manager something is broken.May god save us all if u become a DM. You are rude, the way you treat the staff is disgraceful.

It was good until they change store managers

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Rego Park, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Rego Park, NY

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hrs suck the managers suck

Cons

Managers talk down to you

Please when people call hr listen

Front End Coordinator

Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of new people. From customers to actual Associates.

Cons

There were a lot of negatives working there. Managers are horrible and some coordinators think that they are managers when they aren't. My store manager didn't want to do any motivation for his associates. They are always on you about credits even though you ask and the customer doesn't want one the managers still get mad and tell you basically that they can get one and you can't so step it up. Its sad because i used to really enjoy coming into work when us associates were being thanked for doing our job and helping the company out but as time went on and a few managers left the job just went down hill. Also ive heard the same from other associates i worked with that transferred to another store.

Stop pushing TJX credit when every associate is trying their hardest to sell the card. also thank your associates with motivation not saying with food or anything like that but a thank you will be more appreciated than name calling and being criticized for everything that an associated does.

I would not refer anyone to work for this store or any other store in their branch.

Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A 10% discount is a "pro."

Cons

You only get a raise every year. Yes you've read correctly, every year. If you are granted a raise it can be anywhere from $0.05-0.25. That's it and that's all. No room to "work your way up."

Pick better management.

The whole company sucks

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Hammond, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Hammond, LA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

10% off merchandise which is nice

Cons

Managers suck so much I can't even

Seriously hire better people only advice

Management

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of one! Great music! Prices maybe? Newness with merchandise daily.

Cons

District Manager needs to build relationships with every manager! My experience with this company DM never built a relationship with me and showed favoritism with other managers. Believe and back your managers when you put them in a difficult store.

Move your DM's around! Shouldn't stay in the same area for years. Back your managers, build relationships with all managers!

I wouldn't suggest working here

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There itsnt really much pros, it's like you just have to deal with what ever you go through at this job.

Cons

Dealing with returns from customers, customers attitudes, trying to keep the store clean but keep getting called to the register because they don't have enough people on the schedule

Do a better job

Typical, low-paying clothing and housewares retail job.

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

A decent employee discount and other staff members were often friendly and pleasant to work with. Working there also means you may get first dibs on new merchandise or markdowns.

Cons

Terrible, ever-changing schedule; rude customers; constantly having to clean up a perpetually disorganized store; underpaid for effort. This is not a job for anyone who has a real work ethic and cares about what they do - your efforts will go unappreciated by managers and customers alike.

experience as an employee

Former Employee - Backroom Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Backroom Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its not difficult or stressful

Cons

The challenges that I had working there is for example, one week they will give me 25 hours and the next two weeks only 8 hours for the entire week sometimes it was as worst as only 4 hours in the entire week. My availability was always "Anytime" and I was trained for couple departments and knew how to do everything besides registers. Another thing is that I applied to be at the front registers and I was pushed to backroom that included me coming all the time at 6 am....I was promised several times that I was going to be getting trained at the registers and after a year of working there faithfully with no call offs I stopped asking. My store had no problem ordering pizza and subs every other week but when I will ask why I am only getting 4 hours in one week I was told that the funds are not there.

When Someone applies for a job for part time you should be able to give them at least 25 hours a week, when people apply in the expectations that they will be working full time and you dont even give them 30 hours, then you should expect that your most faithful worker will have enough one day and quit like I did. I will never go to the stop to shop either, thats how upset I am.

The typical retail company that has little respect for its workers.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Coralville, IA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first job, and this was the first company that I applied to that responded to me. They are likely to hire inexperienced workers and give them experience to take with them. Working here gave me something to put on my resume.

Cons

In exchange for hiring inexperienced workers, the company pays barely above minimum wage for a store associate position and frequently does not raise the pay of the trained workers who have earned higher pay than they actually receive. In addition to this, the managers have little respect for their employees' well-being; the main focus is on the amount of money the managers make and the company makes. As an employee who actually did my job well, I received too little credit and too much stress for the amount of money I was working and the position I worked.

Treat your employees with more respect and you might not have a turn over rate as high as you do.

TJ Maxx Photos