TJ Maxx

TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed(in 33 reviews)

• Flexible hours with nice managers(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased(in 48 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward(in 36 reviews)

VERY temporary, NO room for advancement.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

ProsWork is simple, basic retail environment.

ConsMinimum wage (it takes a VERY long time to get any kind of raise); very few hours, many employees are sometimes rude and unfriendly; poorly managed; LOTS of favoritism among employees and managers, which leads to unnecessary raises and promotions; always issues with employees' schedules, zero opportunity for advancement and growth for the employees who actually take their jobs seriously; most employees are high school and college students who would rather have a social life and not come to work with a hangover the next day, and when people leave and hours become available, instead of letting current associates have the hours, they would rather hire MORE employees to an already over-staffed store.

Reprimanded after requesting to speak to the diversity officer.

Release Manager (Current Employee)

ProsShould be stable since company is very profitable

ConsNever provided with the diversity officer's name.
    Company cannot alter simple policy to accommodate needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do you act this way?

Wasteful

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsFlexible, weekly pay, coworkers are cool.

ConsHours, short staff, you'll work every single weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementRewards cards are stupid and few want them, so employees shouldn't be graded off that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working here is as cheap as its prices.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSimple, easy work! Consists of cash handling, customer service, merchandising, processing, and meeting a credit card quota. Working here, you'll catch all the deals and latest styles.

ConsWorst pay ever, no stability, no respect, management was the worst I ever seen, dishonest staff/management. This is a company that wants your soul for pennies. Do not be surprised if you are making 7.50 hour, working 15 hours a week. So you do the math??!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake communication classes, keep in mind that your employees do not make enough to make a steady living, learn to respect those who help you get a pay check, while others struggle off this minimum wage pay.

Disgusting Management!

Associate (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsMet many hard working people.

ConsIf you speak up for yourself or anyone else you are OUT! management bullying tactics, everyone afraid!

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to arrive unannounced or even work under cover to get a true realization of what goes on

Cashier/Returns

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot many. The dress code was relaxed, and the customers were nice. They have a variety of items. That's really it.

ConsThey expect you to work extremely hard while paying minimum wage! The person who trained me was abrasive and demeaning. They had the highest "shrink" I've ever seen! I could raffle off a dozen reasons off the top of my head why. It's a fun place to shop, but not to work. They pass the savings onto the customer by; understaffing, under-paying, and over-working the employees. It's ok if you're in high school. But most of the employees are not! The turnover is high, and most employees are completely miserable. Only a couple of managers don't hide in the office...for their entire shift!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the office!!!

Overall this experience was horrible!

Merchandise/Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPros to this job is that you get 10% off every purchase that you make, and the occasional 20% off holidays, back to school, beginning of summer. Overall you might not like your management team but your associates that you work with you will love

ConsYour management team will never be on the same page, you will have associates that run circles around your coordinators. Be a sales associate you also be a cashier janitor, 6080 associate, fitting room associate jewelry associate (no commission sales) and also when you're in jewelry your management team will make you say announcements every 15minutes. also be cover the guard all will being paid eight dollars an hour (not worth it)

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your associates that actually work hard and wants something other than just to be an associate at TJ Maxx. Management has to have the best team morale out of all associates and I feel like they don't T.J. Maxx

Worst company to work for if you are a salaried worker.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNone to report for this position.

ConsYou work 50 hours a week and get paid for 40hrs. During the Christmas Holiday Season, you work 60 hours a week and only get paid for 40hrs. You work 14 straight days before end of year inventory, but only get paid for five days.

Management is not happy. Too many unqualified people work here

Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPay check every week. I gained a lot of experience because I pushed myself. The resources are there, you have to find them. Once you gain knowledge of this industry, you can apply that knowledge to a better company. I recommend everyone who truly loves fashion and people to avoid applying at TJ Maxx, especially if you are knowledgeable, very fashion oriented, and professional with good manners.

ConsManagement hires too many people that are immature, unprofessional, and ugly (attitude and appearance). The interview process did not consist of any questions. Basically, TJ Maxx just calls everyone they were interested in, put them in a room, talked about the company, and dismissed everyone. They basically pick anyone, that's why TJ Maxx is full of employees that are incompetent (literally, they can't count rocks even if their life depended on it). There are call-outs everyday and the customer service score is very low. From my experience, I've had an employee in the back house curse at me and then "sympathetically" apologize, I've had a person above me always try to find my flaws (I put a black censor on a runway apparel and put it on the return rack. Of all the things she could of found on the return rack, she went to the one I processed and took the censor out just to say: the yellow dot needs to match the price of the clothes. I'm thinking, customers don't even see the dot, it's just a small issue. Would it have hurt for her to just fix it? She was so proud to find my flaw, she said it loud and breathing heavily with so much happiness to discover that I made a flaw. I've experienced employees that refuse to cooperate and listen to what I have to say because they are sincerely proud of coming from the streets with ABC knowledge. I have loss all respect for this company to the point where I am leaving. Before I am leaving, I enjoy doing call-outs just to drive you guys nuts. I don't care anymore because Management knows well who is mean to me and does nothing about it. I mentioned the attitude a co-worker gave me to a manager and the manager says, "she's ghetto". That's it. Also, the store manager's intelligence is comparable to a stone. I was scanning a customer's purchase. I encountered an issue and asked for assistance. She comes, looks at my screen and says, "you scan that item twice." The customer says to the store manager, "well, I bought two of those." Even the store manager just comes up to me and chooses to be an egg-head. Right when she walks in, she complains about the shoes being on the floor in the shoe department before even looking on the line-up to see who is working the shift and where every associate is. To think that I ever wanted to grow with this company, I just feel silly. Managers don't even look like they want to be here themselves. Where is the "lead by example" idea demonstrated?

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the people you hire. Tattooed, wearing tights and tennis shoes to work, talking with broken vowels and slang. These are the people you want to represent your company?? Absolutely pathetic. Even after I leave, of course with notice, I won't even shop at TJ Maxx. I have zero respect and interest for TJ Maxx and your sister stores.

Horrible

Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC) (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsOk hours, Customers are good

ConsHorrible management, No one helps, Stressful, To many tasks at once, No one listens, horrible salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe open door policy is a JOKE! I used to today and my DM(district manager) talked to me like I was worthless and had no sense. They never get to the bottom of the issues. Management doesn't care. Managers lie to make you make and to work. I would never recommend anyone to work for this company. The pay horrible and the raises are once a year about 25 cents. I've worked for the company five years and I'm not quitting because of the lack of experience, ignorance, and no one cares attitude from management in the building and upper management. Practice what you preach management and teach assiocates better how you want to be treated!

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!