TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 33 reviews)

• Flexible hours with nice managers (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 48 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

The typical retail company that has little respect for its workers.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Coralville, IA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

This was my first job, and this was the first company that I applied to that responded to me. They are likely to hire inexperienced workers and give them experience to take with them. Working here gave me something to put on my resume.

Cons

In exchange for hiring inexperienced workers, the company pays barely above minimum wage for a store associate position and frequently does not raise the pay of the trained workers who have earned higher pay than they actually receive. In addition to this, the managers have little respect for their employees' well-being; the main focus is on the amount of money the managers make and the company makes. As an employee who actually did my job well, I received too little credit and too much stress for the amount of money I was working and the position I worked.

Treat your employees with more respect and you might not have a turn over rate as high as you do.

Disorganized and Lack of Communication

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate  in  Bel Air, MD
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very flexible with schedules and understanding when not available.
    - Easy to get hired
    - Good seasonal job for a high school student.

Cons

- Very small chance of advancing in the store if applying for a part-time position.
    - Associates are not trained properly in the different departments making it more difficult for other associates that know the department to clean, organize, and make the store presentable.
    - Very few people know Layaway and Jewelry.
    - Trucks deliver merchandise 5 days a week (Monday-Friday), but around Christmas will change to 7 days a week with various items in different quantity, making it difficult for the small amount of people working each day to put the multiple amount of items on the sales floor in a timely manner.
    - Associates are called to empty the fitting room and service desk of merchandise often, but associates rarely respond because of the multiple tasks they are expected to complete before their shift ends.
    - Breaks are scheduled and are rarely given at the scheduled time unless the associate is a minor, mainly because the Front End Coordinator lost track of time, or there was no one to cover the position of the associate that needed to go on break because of lack of training in employees. Occasionally a 15 minute break will be forgotten or not given to an associate because of the amount of work that still needs to be done.
    - Associates never leave the store at the closing time of the store if they have a closing shift. It is possible to stay at least 30 minutes after store closing depending on how disorganized the store is and how efficiently the associates can work to straighten everything.
    - Rules and guidelines change often making it difficult to learn the already recently changed rule, such as asking for the credit card a certain way, or how to answer the phone when a customer calls.
    - Getting a full time position when the associate is currently a part time is rare.
    - Store cannot afford to have many people working during the day because of payroll making the job more demanding when less people are working during a day with very few associates.

- Managers need to follow the same rules as each other, Each manager has a different set of rules making it difficult for any associate to understand what needs to be the priority.
    - Managers need to understand that the store is disorganized not only by customers, but the associates who don't know what their doing because they were not properly trained.
    - Managers need to understand

TJ Maxx pays every week and has Trendy clothes and furniture.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Novi, MI

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Environment changes everyday with new stock and colors.

Cons

Not enough hours, you'll spend your money right back.

Offer full time to deserving employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok.. not enough hours for me

Former Employee - Backroom Attendant  in  Miami Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Backroom Attendant in Miami Beach, FL

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a nice place to work .
    I worked on Miami Beach..

Cons

No No No No No

VERY temporary, NO room for advancement.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work is simple, basic retail environment.

Cons

Minimum wage (it takes a VERY long time to get any kind of raise); very few hours, many employees are sometimes rude and unfriendly; poorly managed; LOTS of favoritism among employees and managers, which leads to unnecessary raises and promotions; always issues with employees' schedules, zero opportunity for advancement and growth for the employees who actually take their jobs seriously; most employees are high school and college students who would rather have a social life and not come to work with a hangover the next day, and when people leave and hours become available, instead of letting current associates have the hours, they would rather hire MORE employees to an already over-staffed store.

Reprimanded after requesting to speak to the diversity officer.

Current Employee - Release Manager
    Current Employee - Release Manager

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time for less than a year

Pros

Should be stable since company is very profitable

Cons

Never provided with the diversity officer's name.
    Company cannot alter simple policy to accommodate needs.

Why do you act this way?

Wasteful

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, weekly pay, coworkers are cool.

Cons

Hours, short staff, you'll work every single weekend.

Rewards cards are stupid and few want them, so employees shouldn't be graded off that.

Working here is as cheap as its prices.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

Simple, easy work! Consists of cash handling, customer service, merchandising, processing, and meeting a credit card quota. Working here, you'll catch all the deals and latest styles.

Cons

Worst pay ever, no stability, no respect, management was the worst I ever seen, dishonest staff/management. This is a company that wants your soul for pennies. Do not be surprised if you are making 7.50 hour, working 15 hours a week. So you do the math??!!

Take communication classes, keep in mind that your employees do not make enough to make a steady living, learn to respect those who help you get a pay check, while others struggle off this minimum wage pay.

Disgusting Management!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Met many hard working people.

Cons

If you speak up for yourself or anyone else you are OUT! management bullying tactics, everyone afraid!

Upper management needs to arrive unannounced or even work under cover to get a true realization of what goes on

Cashier/Returns

I worked at TJ Maxx

Pros

Not many. The dress code was relaxed, and the customers were nice. They have a variety of items. That's really it.

Cons

They expect you to work extremely hard while paying minimum wage! The person who trained me was abrasive and demeaning. They had the highest "shrink" I've ever seen! I could raffle off a dozen reasons off the top of my head why. It's a fun place to shop, but not to work. They pass the savings onto the customer by; understaffing, under-paying, and over-working the employees. It's ok if you're in high school. But most of the employees are not! The turnover is high, and most employees are completely miserable. Only a couple of managers don't hide in the office...for their entire shift!!!

Get out of the office!!!

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!