TJ Maxx

Updated August 18, 2014

3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 33 reviews)

• Flexible hours with nice managers (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 48 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to gain experience in customer service especially for those who rein school.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

Pros

Friendly environment and really enjoy the people I work with. Associate contests and prizes for being top performer.

Cons

Company at times seems to take customers view over the associates, even if the associate is going by company policy. Advancement opportunities aren't frequent.

Quit overriding the associates who have been there for a long time just to pacify a customer who is clearly wrong.

Employed for 3 years; YET to receive a dollar raise

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

Positive work environment
    Love my coworkers
    Easy retail compared to the mall
    Flexible and work around your schedule

Cons

NO HOURS
    LOW PAY
    UNNECESSARY PRESSURE.

I have been an employee with them for three years. I average about 12 hours a week as a part timer even though Im available 5 days a week any time during the day. I cannot stress how horrific the hours are considering it is retail. A quarter raise once a year if youre lucky, but nothing more. OH and every one gets their raise at the same time so there is a good chance you might be getting your annual raise four or six months late. 20 hours a week is the maximum you will ever receive being that they are always hiring to keep a certain amount of employees staffed EVEN THOUGH THEY CANNOT GIVE HOURS TO THEIR CURRENT ONES. If youre a cashier expect the pressure on opening store credit cards (with a 36% interest rate) to customers. After a year it will get tedious. Their turnover rate at my store is ridiculous. Its a good temporary job but people dont stay long, unless theyre stuck in a rut like myself.

If youre trying to get any retail job please..... consider somewhere else and dont waste your time. $16 billlion dollar company with the oldest systems; they dont care about you.

Do better. Start caring about your employees and stop forcing sales down their throat.

ok.. not enough hours for me

Former Employee - Backroom Attendant  in  Miami Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Backroom Attendant in Miami Beach, FL

Pros

Its a nice place to work .
    I worked on Miami Beach..

Cons

No No No No No

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

Pros

Friendly Staff, easy money, and new clothes all of the time! Various weekends with higher discounts and staff really does get 1st pick of merchandise.

Cons

Grumpy upper management, made minimum wage (lowest salary I have ever made in my 4 years of retail), slow growth within company. No one inspired to work hard because no incentive and poor work environment

Happier employees to start...hire out a positive team and keep everything going up from there. Also don't be so stingy with the pay, sales associates literally make nothing and I made more money as a sales associate at other companies then most coordinators who have been there for 17 years do!

My time here requires too much work for so little money.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Good company values
    Decent shift arrangements

Cons

Poor communication
    Only know when you work 2 weeks in advance, so it's hard to plan if you have another job

Use social media to post work schedules.

Great Culture, positive employees and management

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Very easy scheduling. Able to work the times of the day that seem to be the best for each employee.

Cons

the reason for easy scheduling is because there many part time employees. So during non peak periods of the year the hours are cut quite a bit.

My experience has been with the store management which is awesome.

Great Work Environment

Pros

Benefits were fantastic as was the overall work discount and the benefit of having a discount. Hours were flexible as well

Cons

Lack of diversity in certain settings, not requiring employees to speak English, no set way to run things as each manager seems to push their own criteria

Require all employees to at least speak some English. While being bilingual is definitely a plus, speaking little to no English can be advwrse to a positive customer exeperience

" TJMAXX is a choice if you want to be a full time student, but still be employed."

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  La Canada, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in La Canada, CA

Pros

Employees chose their working hours as they want it to be. All employees also get 10% off at all TJX company stores(TJ MAXX, Marshalls, Homegoods) all the time, and once in a while it increases to 20%.

Cons

You work for the minimum wage. No matter how hard you work that is all you make, minimum wage. The wage increases every year, but it is so little that you cannot see any difference on your pay check.

Try to get more hours for your workers. Since five years ago that I started working for the company, you kept cutting the hours of your employees.

Wonderful!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ypsilanti, MI

Pros

They're not a union, so you don't get BS union taxes pulled out of your paycheck. You actually get the amount you probably work for. The management is so lovely. They care about their employees and their pay checks. Also, they feed you a lot. At my TJ Maxx, they had a lot of holiday parties and random pot lucks. A great first job, and I should have stuck with it for a very long time.

Cons

Very slow, so sometimes boring and not much to do.

N/A

T.J Maxx

Pros

fun people to work with

Cons

horrible management and no orgaination

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!