TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 33 reviews)

• Flexible hours with nice managers (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 48 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

It was ok

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Union, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Union, NJ

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistent hours, stable work environment

Cons

2 weeks notice needed for requesting days off.

RETAIL

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Pompton Plains, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Pompton Plains, NJ

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

TJ Maxx was the best retail job I've worked. lots of room for advancement within the retail stores. managers were nice. relocation opportunities available (like when I was leaving for college)

Cons

it's retail, so the stores are usually messy and it can take you another hour or two after the store closes to actually get out of there. If you're "closing", you never really know when you're shift will actually end.

The ups and downs of the maxx

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, understanding to personal issues, open door policy, good health benefits once eligible

Cons

low wages, not enough hours for part time employees, depending on management staff the environment can be differ from location to location

Please remember to treat everyone equally as favoritism can be easily spotted and moral of the team will diminish because of it. Always be wary of the things that you say and the actions that you take.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disorganized and Lack of Communication

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate  in  Bel Air, MD
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very flexible with schedules and understanding when not available.
    - Easy to get hired
    - Good seasonal job for a high school student.

Cons

- Very small chance of advancing in the store if applying for a part-time position.
    - Associates are not trained properly in the different departments making it more difficult for other associates that know the department to clean, organize, and make the store presentable.
    - Very few people know Layaway and Jewelry.
    - Trucks deliver merchandise 5 days a week (Monday-Friday), but around Christmas will change to 7 days a week with various items in different quantity, making it difficult for the small amount of people working each day to put the multiple amount of items on the sales floor in a timely manner.
    - Associates are called to empty the fitting room and service desk of merchandise often, but associates rarely respond because of the multiple tasks they are expected to complete before their shift ends.
    - Breaks are scheduled and are rarely given at the scheduled time unless the associate is a minor, mainly because the Front End Coordinator lost track of time, or there was no one to cover the position of the associate that needed to go on break because of lack of training in employees. Occasionally a 15 minute break will be forgotten or not given to an associate because of the amount of work that still needs to be done.
    - Associates never leave the store at the closing time of the store if they have a closing shift. It is possible to stay at least 30 minutes after store closing depending on how disorganized the store is and how efficiently the associates can work to straighten everything.
    - Rules and guidelines change often making it difficult to learn the already recently changed rule, such as asking for the credit card a certain way, or how to answer the phone when a customer calls.
    - Getting a full time position when the associate is currently a part time is rare.
    - Store cannot afford to have many people working during the day because of payroll making the job more demanding when less people are working during a day with very few associates.

- Managers need to follow the same rules as each other, Each manager has a different set of rules making it difficult for any associate to understand what needs to be the priority.
    - Managers need to understand that the store is disorganized not only by customers, but the associates who don't know what their doing because they were not properly trained.
    - Managers need to understand

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly Staff, easy money, and new clothes all of the time! Various weekends with higher discounts and staff really does get 1st pick of merchandise.

Cons

Grumpy upper management, made minimum wage (lowest salary I have ever made in my 4 years of retail), slow growth within company. No one inspired to work hard because no incentive and poor work environment

Happier employees to start...hire out a positive team and keep everything going up from there. Also don't be so stingy with the pay, sales associates literally make nothing and I made more money as a sales associate at other companies then most coordinators who have been there for 17 years do!

Employed for 3 years; YET to receive a dollar raise

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive work environment
    Love my coworkers
    Easy retail compared to the mall
    Flexible and work around your schedule

Cons

NO HOURS
    LOW PAY
    UNNECESSARY PRESSURE.

I have been an employee with them for three years. I average about 12 hours a week as a part timer even though Im available 5 days a week any time during the day. I cannot stress how horrific the hours are considering it is retail. A quarter raise once a year if youre lucky, but nothing more. OH and every one gets their raise at the same time so there is a good chance you might be getting your annual raise four or six months late. 20 hours a week is the maximum you will ever receive being that they are always hiring to keep a certain amount of employees staffed EVEN THOUGH THEY CANNOT GIVE HOURS TO THEIR CURRENT ONES. If youre a cashier expect the pressure on opening store credit cards (with a 36% interest rate) to customers. After a year it will get tedious. Their turnover rate at my store is ridiculous. Its a good temporary job but people dont stay long, unless theyre stuck in a rut like myself.

If youre trying to get any retail job please..... consider somewhere else and dont waste your time. $16 billlion dollar company with the oldest systems; they dont care about you.

Do better. Start caring about your employees and stop forcing sales down their throat.

TJ Maxx pays every week and has Trendy clothes and furniture.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Novi, MI

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Environment changes everyday with new stock and colors.

Cons

Not enough hours, you'll spend your money right back.

Offer full time to deserving employees

Good company to gain experience in customer service especially for those who rein school.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly environment and really enjoy the people I work with. Associate contests and prizes for being top performer.

Cons

Company at times seems to take customers view over the associates, even if the associate is going by company policy. Advancement opportunities aren't frequent.

Quit overriding the associates who have been there for a long time just to pacify a customer who is clearly wrong.

T.J Maxx

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

fun people to work with

Cons

horrible management and no orgaination

not enough hours but working with great people

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate/Cashier in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people to work with, good company to gain experience

Cons

low pay, only could work part time, not enough hours given

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!