TJX Canada Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
29 reviews filtered by
Carol Meyrowitz

Planning manager

Former Employee - Merchandise Planning Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planning Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TJX Canada

Pros

The company has no competition. It's easy work. Bonuses are consistent.

Cons

The most vicious political environment you'll ever enter. Management encouraged competition that results in polite face to face but repetitive backstabbing. Lack of competition results in little to no innovation. Adherence to this behaviour is mandatory or eventual firing will occur. Those that challenge the status quo will be forced out.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth in the hiring process. Either admit it's about political jockeying for promotion or move to a true merit based reward system as opposed to the current system that's reliant on "getting in the the cool crowd".

2. Store level disconnected with Head Office/Regional Office

I have been working at TJX Canada

Pros

Each store is different and I feel lucky that my store has a family feeling to it and everybody's nice.

Cons

No consideration for career advancement. Stuck in one position with little opportunity to try new tasks.
    Little to no communication between Head Office/Regional Office and store level employees.

Advice to Management

Train store associates on TJX Canada's company values and brand essence. Give them opportunity to learn more things in the stores and opportunity for career growth.
    Regional office/head office people should come to the stores more often and introduce themselves to store associates. Store associates should have opportunities to express opinions and make suggestions to head office.

3. I completed my co-op placement in the Property Development Department at Home Office

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at TJX Canada as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly collaborative department, extremely well managed and operated, fantastic corporate culture, one of the best business environments I have ever worked in, employees are treated very well, subsidized fitness plan, lots of perks in general, and product discount

Cons

Wasn't challenged creatively (but I had little expectation of this going in), however I did gain a good amount of technical skills/job experience

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

5. Great company

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at TJX Canada as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture, friendly, collaborative and fast-paced. The president is down to earth and approachable. A culture that embraces feedback and development.

Cons

Low base salary, few permanent roles

6. Sales Associate

I have been working at TJX Canada

Pros

It's just a great company to work at

Cons

Benefits for full time and atleast (?) one year part timers, usually

7. TJX Canada

I have been working at TJX Canada

Pros

TJX Canada is a great retailer

Cons

Not much to say here

8. i had a toxic training manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at TJX Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

big name with a unique business model, organized and structured.

Cons

Poor training execution, lots of politics

Advice to Management

implement real open communication practice by inviting employees to speak their minds

9. You get nowhere fast.

Current Employee - Associate Planner in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Associate Planner in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TJX Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, great benefits, friendly company culture. Super friendly and happy place to work at. The company business cycle and business model is very interesting. From a retail perspective you learn a lot.

Cons

Company Politics, no promotions, zero career growth. Too many politics to fight and get through, there is a lot of stabbing in the back, you have 50 people going after the same non existent promotion. You work and work and work hoping to get a competitive advantage but 99% of the time it gets you nowhere. There is zero career growth, you will be stuck at the same level forever.

Advice to Management

Don't give people false hopes and expectations. Don't micro manage. There are a lot of skilled people. HR does a great job at recruiting amazing individuals, but give them more responsibility and decision making power. Reward initiative and skill. Let people see their hard work pay off.

Underpaid, and under-appreciated

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TJX Canada part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, nice co-workers, many different departments to work in (if they let you), some nice customers (if you can put up with the horrible ones)

Cons

I have been a part time associate for 3 years while I finished school and did a couple internships, and they were flexible with adapting to my always changing availability. But, that being said, the number of times they call me when I am not working and not available (as per my WRITTEN availability), is annoying, and ridiculous.
    I have been trained in every area of the store, and because people are always quitting left, right, and center, and they don't want to train new people, I end up being called in for shifts I have told them I can't take. Train more people properly, and you will have more people willing to work, and stay longer.
    Closing the store is always an absolute nightmare, because there are never enough people scheduled. One or two people have to clean the entire store, and it's always a disaster. We never get out on time, and that is unacceptable when you are a student, or have other commitments. I have even talked to an HR rep about this, and was told we only have to stay until we are scheduled (so 9:30pm for example), but this never happens. Everyone stays as late as it takes to clean, because if you don't, someone else has to clean in the morning, and it's just a vicious cycle.
    Upper management (District) don't care about employees, as much as they try to make it seem like they do.
    Customers must think Winners employees are morons, because cashiers have been told to accept returns that clearly are not even from our store! Customer trying to return an h&m shirt, that's fine, take it. And they wonder why shrink is so high. It must be because the employees are stealing, right?
    Polices seem to change every other week. We are lectured about the stupid customers service survey literally every week.

Advice to Management

Quit being so cheap, and schedule more people if you want to store to be spotless and organized 24/7. One person in each department per day is not enough. Especially when they are being called to cash, jewellery, and to CLEAN THE BATHROOMS every 5 minutes.

11. Worst managerial job i've ever had

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Thornhill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Thornhill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TJX Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse group of employees. Made great friends while employed. Very structured and process driven company with mature processes in place.

Cons

Lots of politics, hardly any payroll to effectively run the business. Upper management is to increase productivity to its fullest with little regard to its employees. If you like to be constantly watched by the company's internal investigators, then you'll like working here.