TJX Companies

TJX Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme"
    in 17 reviews
  • "They don't value temps and it takes time to become a full time employee"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It definitely wasn't the worst place I've ever worked, but then again it wasn't very good either.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Lima, OH

ProsFast paced environment, with the ability to work with a lot of different customers and types of people.

ConsCleaning up after people got really old really quick. It is your typical retail job in every sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on putting the needs of employees before the needs of upper management and maybe something will get done.

Expect to do the amount of work for 3 people for awful pay.

Customer Experience Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsManagers and certain co-workers are a blast to work with and are encouraging. Discount.

ConsAwful pay, awful customers, unreliable co-workers. Overall an extremely stressful and dissatisfying job.

If you'd like to have a dead end career path, become an MA!

Merchandise Assistant (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

Pros- Hands on experience with samples
    - Option to go beyond your role and assist the buyers with special projects to give you more exposure (YOU need to ask for that)
    - Fun fashion work environment
    - You're able to see merchandise go from an order to on a hanger in stores. Very cool!
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Very team driven. Everyone helps out
    - Fun social events within the company
    - New AVP, Susan, is fantastic and wants to change the Merchandising structure (we'll see if that happens)
    - Onsite gym/fitness classes (newer one in the process of being built now!)
    - Onsite dry cleaners
    - Onsite travel agency
    - Option to take developmental classes Onsite.
    - Job security. The company is doing very well which is fantastic.
    - Benefits/401K

ConsThe Merchandise Assistant position is the backbone of the merchandising world. We handle orders, assist the buyers, work with vendors, and essentially make sure everything runs smoothly from the point of receiving an order to the point of it making it to the Planning team. Not to mention the constant communication between multiple vendors as well as special projects from the buyers. We are UNDERPAID!!! We work our butts off but are looked at as merely a glorified secretary. It's so discouraging.

MAs- NO career path for this position. NONE. Here we are wanting to better ourselves, learn more, develop our skills and knowledge, and you can do that, but it won't get you anywhere! You could become an MM Admin and in that case, same deal. At that point, you're in that position forever unless you move to a different department in the company or go to Staples, where they will offer you about $15-25k more a year.

You could try for the buying program, but you probably won't get in if you're an MA. They'd rather accept a bunch of clueless fresh-out-of-college kids who think the job is some glamorous fashion job. How does that make sense? As an MA, you already know the company, you're obviously interested in moving up in the company, you know the systems, the buyers, upper management, how orders are entered etc etc. I've worked with so many people in planning who are completely clueless with what we do. I think it would REALLY benefit Planning, in general, to hire MAs within because we already have that knowledge of what happens before Planning is involved. From there, planning would be so much more in tune with what's going on because they'd understand the entire process.

MAs have to jump through hoops to get into the buying program- sucking up to anyone who might be able to help you, sitting with planning to get more exposure, sitting with buyers to get advice and maybe take on any extra work that might help you get in, etc. That's interesting considering these recent graduates, who have no knowledge of the company, get right in. However, current employees are made to perform like monkeys to "prove" they're worthy enough for a spot at a company they already work for. It's completely degrading and embarrassing.

Supervisors are generally pretty clueless with the amount of work we have and how tedious it can be. If anything goes wrong, they have no problem throwing you under the bus. However, there are a few supervisors who are amazing and very helpful.

Advice to Senior Management#1 priority: Develop a clear career path for MAs. THIS IS WHAT WE ALL WANT!!!

Don't make current employees jump through hoops and run around sucking up to buyers and MMs to get into Planning. We've already built relationships within the company. We know the business. We have so much experience under our belts, yet we're not good enough.

Offer classes for employees to help prep us for the buying program interviews.
    Provide classes for employees that teach us about Planning and their roles.
    Offer classes for employees that demonstrate the analytical skills needed for the buying program.

Better pay! This is why so many people go to Staples! We do so much and most of it goes unnoticed. In other companies, this position is considered an Assistant Buyer....

Supervisors should not determine raises. I don't work for my supervisor. There are many many things that I do for my buyers that they appreciate. I assist them, not my supervisor. They should have input.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They work hard to meet their Missin Statement

Financial Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsPeople, job, various opportunities, benefits

Conssometimes you have to know someone to promote

Advice to Senior Managementlack of trust at times

Good to luke -- training could be better -- not evenly yoked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty good logistics, ordering, merchandise; liked the company discount (just a small bonus)

Conssomwhat political -- even if you work hard & do the 'right' things...pay needs to be much better

Advice to Senior Managementtrain & treat everyone the same -- with the same details -- so everyone understands ALL the details; we're human, so make exceptions for those who really care (about job, customers, store, merchandise, etc.); don't politically get rid of really good workers, just because they've reached any tenure or 401K & 'matching' status, other tax abatement status for your huge company -- or other benefits

This is a rewarding opportunity with flexiable hours

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Morrow, GA

ProsManagement helps you to achieve advancement.

ConsYou are given the opportunity to move to different locations and they help you with developing your skills to move into management positions

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive with District when it comes to promoting employees who have the talent and skills to help the company obtain the vision that they have put in motion.

Outstanding Company

Assistant General Manager Distribution (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Work Life Balance, Very Talented Senior Executive Team, Great Compensation and bonuses.

ConsPro Union Culture, Archaic WMS, Growth in position can be limited due to number of Hi Potential Employees brought in every year. You must seperate yourself from your peers across the country. Growth does not necessarily happen in the building that you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in associate base and get rid of union

Varied

ProsLarge, Stable Company, that is still growing. The business model lends itself to steady growth, and proves to be especially effective during recessions.

ConsTechnology is one of larger cons to this company, the Home Office is relatively good, however what the stores are able to accomplished with there technology is nothing short of outstanding. Competition is beginning to imitate their model, and are threatening to take market share.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowth potential seems to be very varied from department to department. Promotions seem to go to the ones who get along best with their direct managers. Additionally salaries don't appear to be as competitive as surrounding companies.

Home away from home

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Deerfield, IL

ProsFriendly and welcoming co-workers

ConsCustomers were sometimes grumpy

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Freelance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work environment. People are very respective of each other and make sure projects get done on time. Pleasant atmosphere.

ConsReally could not find any negatives. Overall a great place to freelance for.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TJX Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TJX Companies CEO Carol M. Meyrowitz. All 346 reviews posted anonymously by TJX Companies employees.