TJX Companies

TJX Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme"
    in 17 reviews
  • "They don't value temps and it takes time to become a full time employee"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pitiful what they pay their hourly employees for what is expected of them.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou can transfer to other divisions (Homegoods, TJMaxx, Marsalls).

ConsToo many bullies in management. Some need to get with the times & learn how to manage people now, not like they did in the 60s. They have open door policy but nothing ever gets resolved. Too much paperwork & moving store around that takes away from running the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart by treating people with respect and dont ask them to do anything you yourself wouldn't do. Dont play favorites.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Neutral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat compensation & work life balance

ConsInconsistent evaluation process and support of open door policy.

It's an okay job.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsThe work environment is nice. The people can be nice.

ConsThe pay is terrible for low level associates and the scheduling is sketchy. People who have worked there for two years or more were still making under $8/hr. The discount is only 10% and the environment can be gossipy and high school-ish at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule people and don't pull favorites. Everyone needs the hours and could all be payed more as well. Rather than waiting till May to give everyone a raise. Raise the associates salaries based on merit and when it's right not because you have to at a certain point. The discount could be improved for as hard as the people work there do. There also needs to be more supervision on management. The store manager would be in the store from 7am to 10pm at least a few times a week.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong Growing Company

Manager (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsTraining and devlopment opportunities are improving.

ConsHours can be long, in order to meet the expectations of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdding more and more to the expectations / productivity using an outdated payrol matrix just takes salaried management out of their roles to put in the extra hours doing tasks that should be done by hourly associates.

Too much to do with too few employees.

ProsEnjoy the people I work with.

ConsNot enough staff to keep the store running properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more help for us to keep the store in good order.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Narragansett, RI

ProsTime off policies, offered discount for employees

ConsCompany culture was negative, large gap between corporate and store employees, poor communication.

Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to work there (unless you're under 30)

Accountant (Former Employee)
    Natick, MA

Prosnice cafe, great facilities, free parking, secure buildings

ConsHR department, looking for young talent, low salaries

Advice to Senior Managementdon't rule out more experienced professionals over younger talent

Planning & Allocation Intern - Corporate Merchandising Training Program

Planning & Allocation Intern (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsInterning here is a great experience to have on your resume. They expose you to many speakers and sides of the business. The training was about a week long and you learned about shipping systems, merchandise flow, and overall strategy. The structured nature of the program is well done with sprinkles of fun activities like an intern scavenger hunt in Boston and an intern group competition to create a new product division. The best part of the internship was the personal feedback during performance reviews. Even though I did not receive a positive performance review after the first month I appreciated the honesty and worked hard to change my enthusiasm for my daily tasks.

ConsAfter my negative performance review, I did not appreciate the lack of motivation from my supervisor. They didn't really coach me from the beginning and were very demanding with little affirmation. But stepping back from my personal experience, an overall con would be the ratio of men to women. In a female heavy workplace the culture felt like it was missing a necessary male presence. The Corporate Merchandising Program was a great experience, but as a creative mind that felt mismanaged the intern group competition was something I was most looking forward to. In the end they said everyone was a winner, which felt like a cop out for the amount of effort and enthusiasm that was put into the project.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise assigning mentors that the interns could meet with once a week for coffee. A mentor outside their division would allow a supportive personal connection to be made.

The fast pace environment leaves a lot of pressure for interns that don't have adequate training in that first short week and there was a miscommunication between my personal division supervisor and with the internship coordinators. Nothing during the first week of training was hands on with the shipping software. Normal employees spend 2 months learning the merchandise shipping systems and my division manager expected me to pick it up 2 weeks into the internship. This high expectation was not met and I felt thwarted to succeed the rest of my time there.

Also the fact that the Merchandising Interns (MI) and Planning & Allocation Interns (PAI) are compared equally even though the Merchandising Interns aren't put under the same level of daily scrutiny does not feel fair. If you look at the percent of MI's that are hired for full time positions verse PAI's asked back I'm sure you will find that there will be a significantly higher number of MI's. A level playing field is all that I am suggesting.

Great first job

Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits: 401K, Holidays, Vacation
    Good work/life balance, in at 9 out at 5
    Lots of recent graduates
    People are generally very great and supportive
    Good culture

ConsAt the MA level there's very little room for growth, and at a certain point, little room for learning & development.
    i think this may have changed since I've been there, but It used to be very hard, nearly impossible, for an internal associate to even APPLY for the buying program.
    Perhaps to the success of the company, there's a very structured environment which accounts for very little leeway. You must take a certain career path.
    Entry level, MA non-exempt positions don't pay well, and the annual 'raises' are minimal (but exempt entry level/analyst positions have a decent starting salary).
    As with any job, if you're in a good/bad department, it can make or break your experience and career.
    A person, no matter their ranking in the company, can make a recommendation to HR for hire, but it's often discarded (granted TJX employs a few thousand in the home office alone)
    Not a great place if you expect to 'make-it-big' and make a lot of money

Advice to Senior ManagementAs an MA, your supervisor conducts your review which determines your raise, not the people/department who you directly work for. And I don't think anyone even knows who grants you permission to apply for the buying program, it used to be the VP of Merchandising but that didn't make sense. Anyway, not to discount the Supervisor role, but there could be a better way to manage the MA team because this current external relationship separates the MA from the team they work for/with, and it's reflected by not being included on team lunches, outings, meetings, and even holiday parties. It's poor for morale. This role has a lot of potential. Most of the MA positions being filled are from excited, recent college graduates who WANT to be there. I strongly think that to develop the MA role into the buying program would help a lot with both the MA and Buying Program's retention. That is my advice to management, whoever you are.

Progressive and Busy...!!!

Member of I T (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsIt is a great place to work. It's been a pleasure to work with everyone I've interacted with at all levels. All the amenities make for a great day at work every day. Promotions are regular and the more responsibilities you take on the more empowered you become. The benefits are the best in the state. Everything is covered.

ConsReally no "Cons" to put down. Your day is what you make of it...!!! Of course you do not want to put too much noise in your head about the amount of work you have, or that you're having a bad day because the traffic in and out of the office, etc, etc... We all go through our ups and downs every day no matter where you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep up the great work and keep helping the community as you always have. Keep all your reports well informed of all the work involved in the projects coming their way, and encourage everyone to acquire more and more knowledge in the skills that help them grow every day. In other words, always be a friendly mentor worthy of admiration.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TJX Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TJX Companies CEO Carol M. Meyrowitz. All 345 reviews posted anonymously by TJX Companies employees.