TJX Companies

TJX Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme"
    in 17 reviews
  • "They don't value temps and it takes time to become a full time employee"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

TJX Corporate Merchandise Internship Program

ProsGroup exercise, but doesn't really show how people really work together

ConsFelt degraded by recruiters
    Biased
    You could tell they already had favorites from the start
    Say they will notify whether or not we go to the next interview, but still haven't heard

Totally cool place to work for people who are still in school, college, high school...

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosflexible hours
    cool managers
    nice selection of merchandise

Conspay rate kinda sucks
    associate discount sucks only 10%

Advice to Senior Managementkeep listening to your store associates!

Good and Bad

ProsCompany has a great future

ConsAttitude behind the scenes is almost bi-polar

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard work of the low hanging fruit

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent experience, excellent people.

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsWhile TJX's Merchandise Training Program is well-known, the company also provides great internship experiences in other functions of the company (IT, Marketing, eCommerce, etc.).

I had a fantastic experience during the summer after my junior year; my department was filled with passionate people who were very welcoming and always willing to help out. Everyone is energetic, well-dressed, professional, and friendly. I learned a lot about marketing and it is a particularly useful experience for people interested in the retail industry. I would certainly return to this company given the opportunity.

ConsHonestly, there are not many cons to report back on. Just that the internship ended and now I have to go through the application process again to try to get back in the company!

Company NOT good if you don't work at the Home Office

ProsSchedule flexibility, employee discount and employee 20% off weekends, peers are are wonderful to work with,

ConsLow pay, technology at a minimum just barely enough to function at your job, many expectations for a very low income

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the 21st Century - treat administrative staff not at the Home Office with financial rewards, reasonable techological advances, and treat employee ideas with the respect they deserve.

What Open Door?

Merchandise Manager (Former Employee)
    Silver Spring, MD

ProsThe job can be very rewarding in it's function and aplication given the opportunity to manage both on paper and planning and physically.

ConsHome office and upper management are completely detatched from the TJX core values of integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the integrity to read the TJX core values and practice them when making decisions instead of the politics that you know you are required play in order to keep your job and advance in your career and then if you survive hire people who do the same, and if you do not survive find a job that suites your own CORE VALUES.

Not a terrible place to work if you want to punch the clock and go through the motions

Merchandise Support Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsGood work/life balance. Friendly coworkers. Good mix of youth and experience. Good extracurricular opportunities.

ConsMerchandising Department (the nucleus of the company) is a complete disaster. Mercandise Support Department lacks managerial strength. Supervisors are hard-working and under-appreciated - Managers use them as shields. Merchandise Assistants are overworked, mistreated, underpaid, and misled about a career path. Many Buyers are arrogant and have a 'diva' attitude. In general, a lack of vibrance and innovation at this company. Severe lack of forward thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the Merchandise Support and Merchandising Departments under the microscope. Turnover is outrageous, structure is inefficient - this puts a lot of strain on MAs and Supervisors. Managers are frighteningly removed from what really goes on at the MA level.

Great experience

Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsTJX gives a great work life balance type environment and is very considerate of their own staff's self and career development

ConsIt would be ideal if TJX companies would give more flexibility on working from home or working remotely especially for those with young children at home

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue with the great support to staff

Great company

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people and the culture are what separate this organization from others. Although large it still has a small feeling to it.

ConsThe salary was on the low end? The benefits are great but because of the high cost of living in the area the salary was low.

Minimum

Associate (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGreat co-workers who like to make the best of the situation. Management provides great incentives for all associates.

ConsNot enough hours to obtain enough money to rent apartment. Scheduling manager needs more training.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours to the people who would like to work more hours

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TJX Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TJX Companies CEO Carol M. Meyrowitz. All 346 reviews posted anonymously by TJX Companies employees.