TJX Companies

Updated Jun 9, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you'd like to have a dead end career path, become an MA!

Merchandise Assistant (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

Pros- Hands on experience with samples
    - Option to go beyond your role and assist the buyers with special projects to give you more exposure (YOU need to ask for that)
    - Fun fashion work environment
    - You're able to see merchandise go from an order to on a hanger in stores. Very cool!
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Very team driven. Everyone helps out
    - Fun social events within the company
    - New AVP, Susan, is fantastic and wants to change the Merchandising structure (we'll see if that happens)
    - Onsite gym/fitness classes (newer one in the process of being built now!)
    - Onsite dry cleaners
    - Onsite travel agency
    - Option to take developmental classes Onsite.
    - Job security. The company is doing very well which is fantastic.
    - Benefits/401K

ConsThe Merchandise Assistant position is the backbone of the merchandising world. We handle orders, assist the buyers, work with vendors, and essentially make sure everything runs smoothly from the point of receiving an order to the point of it making it to the Planning team. Not to mention the constant communication between multiple vendors as well as special projects from the buyers. We are UNDERPAID!!! We work our butts off but are looked at as merely a glorified secretary. It's so discouraging.

MAs- NO career path for this position. NONE. Here we are wanting to better ourselves, learn more, develop our skills and knowledge, and you can do that, but it won't get you anywhere! You could become an MM Admin and in that case, same deal. At that point, you're in that position forever unless you move to a different department in the company or go to Staples, where they will offer you about $15-25k more a year.

You could try for the buying program, but you probably won't get in if you're an MA. They'd rather accept a bunch of clueless fresh-out-of-college kids who think the job is some glamorous fashion job. How does that make sense? As an MA, you already know the company, you're obviously interested in moving up in the company, you know the systems, the buyers, upper management, how orders are entered etc etc. I've worked with so many people in planning who are completely clueless with what we do. I think it would REALLY benefit Planning, in general, to hire MAs within because we already have that knowledge of what happens before Planning is involved. From there, planning would be so much more in tune with what's going on because they'd understand the entire process.

MAs have to jump through hoops to get into the buying program- sucking up to anyone who might be able to help you, sitting with planning to get more exposure, sitting with buyers to get advice and maybe take on any extra work that might help you get in, etc. That's interesting considering these recent graduates, who have no knowledge of the company, get right in. However, current employees are made to perform like monkeys to "prove" they're worthy enough for a spot at a company they already work for. It's completely degrading and embarrassing.

Supervisors are generally pretty clueless with the amount of work we have and how tedious it can be. If anything goes wrong, they have no problem throwing you under the bus. However, there are a few supervisors who are amazing and very helpful.

Advice to Senior Management#1 priority: Develop a clear career path for MAs. THIS IS WHAT WE ALL WANT!!!

Don't make current employees jump through hoops and run around sucking up to buyers and MMs to get into Planning. We've already built relationships within the company. We know the business. We have so much experience under our belts, yet we're not good enough.

Offer classes for employees to help prep us for the buying program interviews.
    Provide classes for employees that teach us about Planning and their roles.
    Offer classes for employees that demonstrate the analytical skills needed for the buying program.

Better pay! This is why so many people go to Staples! We do so much and most of it goes unnoticed. In other companies, this position is considered an Assistant Buyer....

Supervisors should not determine raises. I don't work for my supervisor. There are many many things that I do for my buyers that they appreciate. I assist them, not my supervisor. They should have input.

They work hard to meet their Missin Statement

Financial Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsPeople, job, various opportunities, benefits

Conssometimes you have to know someone to promote

Advice to Senior Managementlack of trust at times

Great people and great work ethics.

Senior IT Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsOpen and great communication channel with management team. Great peer support.

ConsUnrealistic time management for projects.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like a bad sorority -- no free will

Framingham, MA

Pros.....well......... it's a big company meaning benefits are good/steady and everything is very structured, meaning promotions were frequent. The facilities were nice-ish and the

ConsWhere to start.......
    -very little autonomy in business-level decision-making. Management emphasized "speak up!" so much during training that you almost believe it. If you have too many ideas people look at you weird (they do things one way and one way only) and if you don't speak up enough because, say, you analyze internally and do not jump up and down in your chair when your product turns, then you are a black sheep-- and you will be called out.
    -promotions were frequent but they treated people like a mass cycle -- even if you weren't really a good leader you would get promoted for the heck of it
    -never have I ever been as disrespected as I was at this company. I graduated top of my class, had several job offers (clearly accepted the wrong one), and am overly-passionate about my career. I had upper management pull me into their office and tell me, and I quote, "You will never be successful." Talk about encouragement! I've moved on to another company where I've been given the autonomy and respect I deserve/earned.
    -it is considered inappropriate to talk to someone who isn't your direct manager about business ideas/questions or career advancement. EVERYTHING has a process here -- you must pay your dos and fall into rank.

Basically, if you love fashion/merchandising and want that career path then you may want to consider it. But if company culture and top-down respect is important to you, you will be disappointed. If you can stomach it you may want to at least get through training because having this on your resume in the merchandising world is a big plus. Good luck to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has recently revamped the training program which is nice in theory but according to my 10+ friends who are still there they feel it's had an overly negative effect rather than improving "the next crop" of new analysts. They run a tight business and get what needs to get done done, but employee culture is like a hostile sorority at times and there is little to no autonomy. I would say change this, but unfortunately I think TJX has been and will continue to be stuck in their ways.

A big company that could be great but due to poor management and culture leaves many employees dissatisfied

Framingham, MA

ProsThere is a lot of room for growth if you are lucky to be placed in a good division with a good manager. The career path within Planning and Allocation is very well defined, although most analysts don't actually stay with the company to advance.
    There are a lot of benefits right away including medical insurance, paid time off, 10% corporate discount, and average compensation for the Boston Metro area.

ConsTJX's Planning and Allocation division does not embrace diversity; beyond a lack of diversity in race and cultures, there is a lack of diversity in the way people think which led to processes and people being hesitant to change. If you fit into their mold then you might have a great experience at TJX, but there is a very low retention rate due to people falling outside of that mold and being very dissatisfied.
    Work-life balance is highly dependent on the division you are placed into, some work 9-5 everyday while many others do not, some even requiring weekend shifts. Around the holiday seasons it can be difficult to get time off if you are in a smaller team because they always need some people in the office.
    Overall, I am in agreement with other reviewers who believe that the culture is driven by sorority style politics. Rather than promoting development in employees it is more important to adapt to the culture. The professionalism is very low and body image/unhealthy dieting are commonly discussed topics in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually employ managers who have the ability and interest in managing their employees, rather than those who are solely self-interested in their own career path. Most managers, but not all, within P&A are just there as a stepping stone to going into the buying world.
    Also, instead of instilling the philosophy that employees are disposable, continue to develop employees after the training period and work together to place employees with a proper manager for their skill set.
    Don't expect recent college graduates with no previous planning education and only a few months on the job to be tremendous. The pressure of feeling disposable and having little support does not produce a great environment for those employees to grow.

The worst professional experience and a demeaning training program

Framingham, MA

ProsGood benefits and time off.

ConsOne of the most stressful, dueling training programs ever. Not only was the training very uninformative but the training instructor and Planning managers attacked at our personal brands. Since the training program has ended, the stress has not stopped. Several recent grads from my training program have since been fired or left due to the awful experiences and terrible hours.

very disappointing experience

Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

Prosthere are various events happening in the building...

Constime limit of the contract is not defined and employee does not get even a single day notice before the contract gets over

Advice to Senior Managementplease be clear of your requirements at the time on hiring people

Management Monsters

Employee (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsDecent benefit. Nice work environment. Somewhat flexible schedule. Okay hours. Okay vacation & retirement benefits, although recent changes have made them much less attractive for long time employees.

ConsManagers are egotistic, rude, overbearing & in general treat their employees very poorly to the point of harassment. Money could (and should) be better. Limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for management - they need people skills and should be held accountable for their bad behavior. Employees are tired of being belittled and treated like they're worthless.

"Off-price at it's best'

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsStable company, great compensation and room for growth with the right support from management

ConsVery political corporate environment. Demanding workload and time constraints, can be a challenge for work-life balance without support of management

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in promoting from within

Doesn't pay well

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsPersonal Perks - can take sick time and work from home good vacation time

ConsDoesnt pay well, no work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your resource well

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TJX Companies reviews and ratings in Framingham, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TJX Companies CEO Carol M. Meyrowitz. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by TJX Companies employees.