TJX Companies

Updated August 19, 2014

3.1

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme (in 18 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They work hard to meet their Missin Statement

Current Employee - Financial Accounting Supervisor  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Accounting Supervisor in Framingham, MA

Pros

People, job, various opportunities, benefits

Cons

sometimes you have to know someone to promote

lack of trust at times

Was Once A Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA

Pros

Beautiful home office and cafeteria.

Cons

Your Supervisor can make or break this job. This job is "babysat" like you are a child. And it is very difficult to move out of this position. For these reasons, there is a very high turnover with this position.

Treat everyone with respect.

Hard to Move Up

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Framingham, MA

Pros

TJX has a lot of pros. Overall, they have an amazing home office with a lot of perks like two gyms, an amazing cafeteria, and a indoor golfing range. Also since it is so big you have a really wonderful sense of community. They also provide very good benefits and 401K opportunities.

Cons

They cons are great. I found the company to be very hard to move up in. They also gave some of the worst raises I have ever gotten. I would have a wonderful review and a really bad raise and the excuses was always "we are an off price retailer". I never got that since they were making millions all over the world.

Have better opportunities to move up and give more realistic raises.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty decent

Current Employee - Allocation Analyst  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA

Pros

Great company to start your career; excellent training program.

Cons

Salary is barely competitive compared to the cost if living in the area.

High pressure and catty work environment

Current Employee - Senior Allocation Analyst  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA

Pros

- clearly mapped out career path
    - job security
    - good 401k and health insurance plans
    - sufficient PTO
    - interesting types of work (product oriented)

Cons

- when business isn't good, people are quick to point fingers
    - no management training = bad/uneducated managers
    - they try to train people but consistently leave employees more confused than before the training.
    - very old and outdated IT systems that impede productivity rather than improve it. The entire IT infrastructure for merchandising makes the job far more difficult than it should be.
    - HR is extremely misleading about duration of career path at point of hire
    - very high turn over. Only 8/33 members of my new employee class still remaining at the company after only 2 years.

- improve trainings -- better courses, better instructors. Having an educated workforce will drive success in the future. Focus on human capital development to improve business process rather than lousy, unproven, time wasting strategies that show little to no benefits or progress
    - offer more trainings.
    - improve IT systems and the communication between programs
    - remember that we are selling clothes not curing cancer

Good to get foot in the door...

Current Employee - Contract Product Development Specialist  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Contract Product Development Specialist in Framingham, MA

Pros

- wide range of departments to work in
    - overall great company outlook
    - room for growth if willing to wait a while

Cons

- compensation; raises/sick/vacation time not applicable for contractors
    - contractors rarely see growth for 2-3 years

If you'd like to have a dead end career path, become an MA!

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA

Pros

- Hands on experience with samples
    - Option to go beyond your role and assist the buyers with special projects to give you more exposure (YOU need to ask for that)
    - Fun fashion work environment
    - You're able to see merchandise go from an order to on a hanger in stores. Very cool!
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Very team driven. Everyone helps out
    - Fun social events within the company
    - New AVP, Susan, is fantastic and wants to change the Merchandising structure (we'll see if that happens)
    - Onsite gym/fitness classes (newer one in the process of being built now!)
    - Onsite dry cleaners
    - Onsite travel agency
    - Option to take developmental classes Onsite.
    - Job security. The company is doing very well which is fantastic.
    - Benefits/401K

Cons

The Merchandise Assistant position is the backbone of the merchandising world. We handle orders, assist the buyers, work with vendors, and essentially make sure everything runs smoothly from the point of receiving an order to the point of it making it to the Planning team. Not to mention the constant communication between multiple vendors as well as special projects from the buyers. We are UNDERPAID!!! We work our butts off but are looked at as merely a glorified secretary. It's so discouraging.

MAs- NO career path for this position. NONE. Here we are wanting to better ourselves, learn more, develop our skills and knowledge, and you can do that, but it won't get you anywhere! You could become an MM Admin and in that case, same deal. At that point, you're in that position forever unless you move to a different department in the company or go to Staples, where they will offer you about $15-25k more a year.

You could try for the buying program, but you probably won't get in if you're an MA. They'd rather accept a bunch of clueless fresh-out-of-college kids who think the job is some glamorous fashion job. How does that make sense? As an MA, you already know the company, you're obviously interested in moving up in the company, you know the systems, the buyers, upper management, how orders are entered etc etc. I've worked with so many people in planning who are completely clueless with what we do. I think it would REALLY benefit Planning, in general, to hire MAs within because we already have that knowledge of what happens before Planning is involved. From there, planning would be so much more in tune with what's going on because they'd understand the entire process.

MAs have to jump through hoops to get into the buying program- sucking up to anyone who might be able to help you, sitting with planning to get more exposure, sitting with buyers to get advice and maybe take on any extra work that might help you get in, etc. That's interesting considering these recent graduates, who have no knowledge of the company, get right in. However, current employees are made to perform like monkeys to "prove" they're worthy enough for a spot at a company they already work for. It's completely degrading and embarrassing.

Supervisors are generally pretty clueless with the amount of work we have and how tedious it can be. If anything goes wrong, they have no problem throwing you under the bus. However, there are a few supervisors who are amazing and very helpful.

#1 priority: Develop a clear career path for MAs. THIS IS WHAT WE ALL WANT!!!

Don't make current employees jump through hoops and run around sucking up to buyers and MMs to get into Planning. We've already built relationships within the company. We know the business. We have so much experience under our belts, yet we're not good enough.

Offer classes for employees to help prep us for the buying program interviews.
    Provide classes for employees that teach us about Planning and their roles.
    Offer classes for employees that demonstrate the analytical skills needed for the buying program.

Better pay! This is why so many people go to Staples! We do so much and most of it goes unnoticed. In other companies, this position is considered an Assistant Buyer....

Supervisors should not determine raises. I don't work for my supervisor. There are many many things that I do for my buyers that they appreciate. I assist them, not my supervisor. They should have input.

Great people and great work ethics.

Former Employee - Senior IT Business Analyst  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Business Analyst in Framingham, MA

Pros

Open and great communication channel with management team. Great peer support.

Cons

Unrealistic time management for projects.

Like a bad sorority -- no free will

Former Employee - Allocation Analyst  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA

Pros

.....well......... it's a big company meaning benefits are good/steady and everything is very structured, meaning promotions were frequent. The facilities were nice-ish and the

Cons

Where to start.......
    -very little autonomy in business-level decision-making. Management emphasized "speak up!" so much during training that you almost believe it. If you have too many ideas people look at you weird (they do things one way and one way only) and if you don't speak up enough because, say, you analyze internally and do not jump up and down in your chair when your product turns, then you are a black sheep-- and you will be called out.
    -promotions were frequent but they treated people like a mass cycle -- even if you weren't really a good leader you would get promoted for the heck of it
    -never have I ever been as disrespected as I was at this company. I graduated top of my class, had several job offers (clearly accepted the wrong one), and am overly-passionate about my career. I had upper management pull me into their office and tell me, and I quote, "You will never be successful." Talk about encouragement! I've moved on to another company where I've been given the autonomy and respect I deserve/earned.
    -it is considered inappropriate to talk to someone who isn't your direct manager about business ideas/questions or career advancement. EVERYTHING has a process here -- you must pay your dos and fall into rank.

Basically, if you love fashion/merchandising and want that career path then you may want to consider it. But if company culture and top-down respect is important to you, you will be disappointed. If you can stomach it you may want to at least get through training because having this on your resume in the merchandising world is a big plus. Good luck to you.

Management has recently revamped the training program which is nice in theory but according to my 10+ friends who are still there they feel it's had an overly negative effect rather than improving "the next crop" of new analysts. They run a tight business and get what needs to get done done, but employee culture is like a hostile sorority at times and there is little to no autonomy. I would say change this, but unfortunately I think TJX has been and will continue to be stuck in their ways.

very disappointing experience

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Framingham, MA

Pros

there are various events happening in the building...

Cons

time limit of the contract is not defined and employee does not get even a single day notice before the contract gets over

please be clear of your requirements at the time on hiring people

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!