TJX Companies

TJX Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme (in 18 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, Mediocre middle management.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompany has a very solid business plan. Company is going through growing pains...but, taking on new modern approaches to business. Company culture design from headquarters is ideal, but does not trickle down to managers.

ConsCompany is growing, and promoting store managers into district manager position is no longer successful. District managers need to be more qualified managers capable of multi unit leadership and needing motivational abilities. NOT A POSITIVE PLACE FOR SALARIED MANAGERS WORKING IN STORES.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more sincere, and spend less time politicking, and trying to maintain your position. Earn your position by doing your job, and actually supporting your subordinates, which will earn you respect.

Why you should think twice about working for the TJX companies.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a very reasonable work schedule, with most managers only working 45 - 50 hours a week, including holidays. They have a very good benefits package. They have a very casual atmosphere. They have a very flexible time-off policy. Your sick time and your vacation time are two separate accounts.

ConsAs an assistant manager, you have very little control over the decisions in your building. You expected to work in all areas of the store without limiting yourself to a "title", yet are still held accountable for the responsibilities of that title, whether or not you are given the time to work in your assigned areas. If you have a underperforming store manager, you are expected to take up the slack for their short-comings. Therefore you put yourself in the position of having credit taken from you for the good things and blame placed on you for the bad. If you are a good manager, and have a special project, you are given little or no extra payroll, because you can work with those restrictions, so you are basically punished for being good at your job. Payroll is based on the amount of merchandise you receive rather than on your sales, but there is no accurate system to track the amount of merchandise you receive. The Paid-time-off system has a ceiling for the amount of sick time you can accumulate, and you cannot role over your vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a better review system, other than simply the opinion of the district manager. As it stands now, the ability to be promoted is based on whether or not the DM likes you rather than on your performance. There is not any system of accountability for the store managers in place. Anonymous surveys by the assistants and associates would allow you to get a more accurate view of the SMs performance, instead of leaving it up to the subjective opinion of a single person. The way the training system is set up for managers has it based on the honor system, so there is a very good chance that trainees that are less than honest or SMEs that are overworked and under a lot of pressure to pass the trainees are allowing untrained managers to go into the store.

Break time and co-workers made it worth it

Merchandise Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI have built friendships with co-workers, and they give more break time than most companies (for a typical 8 hour work day, you have a 45 AND a half).

ConsCustomers, Management, Management needs to all stick to one return policy

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the same policy ideas, do not bend the rules differently.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty decent

Allocation Analyst (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGreat company to start your career; excellent training program.

ConsSalary is barely competitive compared to the cost if living in the area.

TJX needs to focus on developing internal talent

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

Prosstable company with a good business model.

Conscompensation (salary and all other benefits), training and development

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop internal talent

Love working for the company. Especially my store. Lots of food and flexible scheduling

Floor Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLove my managers and my job.. Great wok schedules and flexible hours.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Ups and Downs

Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) Diberville, MS

ProsThe nice part about working at a TJX company is that you get paid every week, and most of the management team is pretty open minded and willing to work around any other schedule or prior obligation that you may have.

ConsThey do not give a lot of hours, unless you are a full time employee or it is around the holidays and they have very few full time positions available.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only thing that needs a lot of improvement is the organization of the operations side of things. For example, there have been plenty of times that my schedule was changed out of the blue and I didn't even get a call to notify me of the change. There was a note put up in the break room the day before.

ok

Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) Daphne, AL

ProsI like the family/friend atmosphere. I like that they enpower you to take charge and make the call.

ConsThe pay isn't good, most people there make minimum wage with minimal hours. You have to be a key carrier to at least make 40 hours a week. The pay isn't sufficient to live off of and most of the employees need other jobs but full time coordinators don't really have the availibility to work a second job to make a real living. It's a great job for students but not really anything you can make a career of.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay and hours would be great. People need opportunities to motivate them. Also the AC is not ever cool enough, customers complain and those of us working so hard to make the store run are hot. I'm pretty sure that not just at my particular location but in your company as a whole, your turn over rate is ridiculously high.

Positive Work Environment

Technical Support (Former Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsWorking as a contractor, Staff treated me well.

ConsTechnology was outdated to the point that they were paying Microsoft for Support of old Solftware

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some of your contractors full-time; invest more in IT

Overall good experience.

Customer Experience Coordinator (Former Employee) Zanesville, OH

ProsIt was a fun atmosphere.

ConsThe company has some weird rules and regulations.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!