TJX Companies Reviews

Reset
1.0
TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Great compensation & work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• They have a very good benefits package (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • unnecessary rules, low potential for advancement or full time employment (in 21 reviews)

• The upper management really needs to look into issues like this because upon asking other minority males I have heard very similar stories (in 21 reviews)

1. Allocation Analyst

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High end of pay scale for retail-48,000 for non interns, 50,000 for those who do intern. "Analyst" title to add to resume for future positions. Career path if you can get through 3-5 years shipping product. Great people- most in 20s,30s, good interaction with senior management

Cons

Long hours- 7-6pm at times. Ancient systems data entry and systems management No lunch break. Hour long when in training, 10 minutes at desk when on the job. Fellow analyst train new analysts- high turn over rate creates incomplete training all around.

Advice to Management

True lunch break ( away from the desk and peers-if desired) Need to role out a clearer promotion policy- many are unsure of what they need to do to reach next level More transparent recruiting material-This is a data entry position. This is not spoken about for obvious reasons. As a result, high turn over rate.

2. Cashier

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tough to say, I worked so hard for them and in the end it was the worst work experience of my life. They did recognize birthdays, celebrations, employee of the month

Cons

More politics than Washington. Consistently under staffed. I have never worked harder for such little pay and in the end I was bullied by two people from loss prevention, they were trying to get me to admitting to putting merchandise in someone's bag and not charging them for it. I asked to see the tapes they said they had, they told me they didn't have to. I never took so much as pen cap. I offered to pay for the items in question. They said it wasn't necessary. I was not fired on the spot but told my situation was in review. 2 days later I was told my position was eliminated, most likely because I asked for my lawyer. STAY away from them. There are so many other companies you can work for. They have no appreciation for their employees, just a horrible experience.

Advice to Management

When you have an employee that busted their butt for you, consistently got employee of the month, was never late or called in sick, they probably wouldn't give two bathing suits away to a customer to hurt your profit margin. STOP under staffing the front end and you will avoid a LOT of mistakes and over tired employees. Worst experience ever

If only someone cared ...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson, GA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time

Pros

Great schedule, great location, decent benefits

Cons

No growth, incompetent and dishonest leadership. No structure and no effort to correct issues. Using the Band-Aid method to correct issues. Poor HR structure and leadership. Consistent payroll issues.

Advice to Management

Divide Leadership team. Focus on the business is important but realize that the business will only succeed if you focus on your employees and ensure that they are satisfied. Employees are ignored by the HR staff day after day. Even the new HR staff is trained to ignore us.

Allocation Analyst

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, CAF with endless dining options, benefits, and that is about it

Cons

I started at the TJX Companies directly after graduating college. The position is marketed as product driven, this is true for your first month of "training" or as they call is "MDP." During your training you essentially learn a minimal amount from a team that knew a minimal amount of information themselves. You take part in a lot of store visits and and shopping of the stores and competitor stores. After this two month "training" you are thrown into the job where is it the complete opposite of training and your future is determined by the manager you have and the team you have. Half of being successful is not about knowledge, skills, or experience. Half of your success is determined by if you conform to the idea of what a TJX employee should look like. (Extremely loud and excited at all times, extremely nosey asking every person about every personal detail of their life and also keeping a notebook of these details in order to remember, and walking/acting/talking as if you are a high school clique when it comes to the team you are placed on. I was at TJX for 8 months and had three different managers and two different teams during that time. They often move people around. Once I had my third manager, the challenge truly began. Because I did not conform into this person that "drank the kool-aid) my manager began to create a hostile environment. I felt bullied and began to develop anxiety on a daily basis. FYI human resources does not care if about this sort of thing. Once there is an issue, they will play mind games with you until you quit (they also do not like to fire people). I started last May and a year later more than 50% of my class that started with me has left the company. Many people I started with have also been bullied, manipulated, or "encouraged" to quit. The money, great CAF, and benefits are no where near worth the awful work environment you will inevitably face.

Advice to Management

It is task before relationship, not the other way around.

Drama

I have been working at TJX Companies (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are great to work with and some asst managers will train

Cons

Company does not specialize employees in stores. No self empowerment plus managers never listen to experience employees. Hard work shorten hours

Advice to Management

Management needs to listen to employees who have been with company for years. This would save company time and money.

Don't work for them

Pros

Good products, cheap stuff, ok employee discounts, sometimes a fun work place, good amount of customers, and the best place is the fitting room!

Cons

They don't want to work around your school schedules, they don't pay much, the place is always a mess, and supervisors wants you to be 10 places at once.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Athens, GA

I worked at TJX Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for college students, first time jobs, or part-time work.

Cons

The communication within the stores, between management and staff.

Advice to Management

Learn to really mean what you say, if you really understand a situation then do just that. If something can't or can be done a certain way, be honest.

9. Merchandise Assistant

Pros

NONE other than My supervisor is cool.

Cons

NEVER take this position unless you want to be belittled and bullied all day long. The buyers are awful and have 0 respect. They will treat you like a slave and don't care about you or appreciate anything you do for them. On top of it all, you get paid no money. they say there is room for growth but unless you want to go through 3 interviews for the buyers program or be an admin you're out of luck. I really have nothing nice to say about this position.

Advice to Management

More pay. Buyers need to treat people with respect.

10. Merchandise Assistant

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at TJX Companies as a contractor

Pros

Solid Training during the first few weeks.

Cons

Overall depending on the division you work for, they treat contractors with little to no respect even though you are working on the same level as full time employees and have the same responsibilities. It is not stable. I had to work under one supervisor, finally learned everything I was supposed to do to perform the job and then they moved me to a completely different division that I didn't interview for and had no experience in. I received less than a week of training, had to manage three different departments and their COC process which my supervisor said was a new department they were "trying out". Also, to top it off, when I switched divisions I had no computer, no access to a J drive and all these controls were necessary to perform the job. Instead half of my shifts were consisted of running back between two floors, using a training computer and no time to organize and have a desk. I would also be told to call the help desk to gain access to these controls and half the time they couldn't be properly installed on a training computer. I was given responsibility before I was set up and that is not efficient way to manage or do business. In addition, I would hear my supervisor talking to the GMM's of how they should let certain people go because they weren't catching up "quick". Depending on the division you worked in, you could have a great experience or a completely awful experience. In this role there also is little to no growth. Many MAs want to be buyers and from what I had witnessed does not happen.

Advice to Management

Be professional and not trash talk contractors in front of them. It is unbelievably unprofessional and offer better training if you want qualified individuals to work for your firm. Take into account other peoples learning styles and adapt. It will only help you and your business in the long run.

IT Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay. Excellent benefits. Strong revenue and company future growth.

Cons

IT culture is dysfunctional. Totally separate from the business. Open door policy is a phrase that is said but not followed. No strategy. Poorly managed. Lots of infighting and territory grabbing.

RSS Feed </> Embed