TJX Companies

Updated November 18, 2014
3.1

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible management allowed for a flexible schedule to help give a healthy work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• They have a very good benefits package (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • You only move up if you suck up to upper management and are a favorite (in 22 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent work-life balance with plenty of opportunity to grow and develop

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- work-life balance is important
    - interested in your learning and development and future within the company
    - great benefits @ the Distribution Services level
    - strong sense of associate appreciation
    - embrace a diverse workforce
    - open to new ideas and improvements

Cons

- interview process is rather lengthy
    - on-boarding process at DC level needs improvement for both exempt and non-except associates

Wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Antioch, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Antioch, TN

I worked at TJX Companies part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met a lot of cool people/coworkers.

Cons

Only give raises of 10 cents after 1 year of work. Disrespectful managers, not many chances to move up.

Stop forcing those damn credit cards on everybody, then make us feel like horrible workers if we don't get any.

Great company to rise up in.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is interested in developing its associates. They also treat they're staff well and can often keep the people the have.

Cons

Demanding hours for management. Sometimes to much pressure is put around passing audits, etc.

Talk to your assistant managers more about how to make the company better to work in.

Merchandise Assistant. Try and get in the company another way if you can.

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A way to get into the company. You can wear jeans. Coworkers are friendly willing to help. Good place to work. Bosses were friendly and care about the employees. Good benefits. You must take an hour lunch and you work 9 to 5.

Cons

You need to be super duper organized. Tons of e-mails and e-mailing. If you can learn tricks for Microsoft outlook to organize your e-mails you should. Lots of data entry. Repetitive. You are at the computer alot. The position is a lot of work and not worth it for what it pays. Everyone wants to be a buyer. Try another route if you can

A lot of Merchandise Assistants need to work 2 jobs. I feel this unacceptable at a 30 billion dollar company. The CEO should find away to make sure these hardworking individuals are paid enough so they dont need to work two jobs. Training could be improved. Where and who you train with makes a big difference. Computer programs are outdated need to be updated improved and streamlined.

Allocation Analyst "STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY"

Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a large organization so you get decent benefits, a safe clean environment, and the job security of knowing the company isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Cons

Where do I begin! This place is like a big white sorority house. When I say white, I simply mean if you come from a melting pot and are used to seeing people of all backgrounds, nationalities, and personalities this place is nothing like that! It is literally like walking onto a set for the show The Hills. Everyone talks and dresses the same, and nobody is interested in anyone that is different from what they consider their "norm". From day one you will be bullied and hazed. They have this idea that they can mold everyone into their kind. You will notice that everyone there acts alike, somewhat like robots, because they are taught to be this way! Managers don't know how to manage because they promote solely on popularity, and not work performance. You can work as hard as you want here, if you don't fit in you wont make it.

It's a "thing" that everyone discusses as if its normal and okay, that the first few months of working here was hard for everyone, and it is stressful and you will cry everyday on your way home!!! Work shouldn't make you feel crapy! The managers and HR reps will pick and pull you apart until you feel like little to nothing, making you feel like a weak, vulnerable, insecure person (this is all apart of their molding process). Of course if you are ever going to get initiated into the sorority TJX cult you will have to be beat down to nothing internally, so that they can build you back up with all of their culture crap! If I hear the words personal brand one more time I will scream! These people expect everyone to be upbeat with over the top personality's and be constantly full of excitement. They all literally talk like they have an exclamation point on the end of all of their sentences.

Everyone is catty, and will stab you in the back. During training they will lie to you and tell you to speak up and bring all of your thoughts and feedback back to them. Well take it from me, don't speak up unless you have something POSITIVE to say. If you say anything negative it will come back to bite you in the butt. This company's biggest problem is that they think they are "perfect" and everyone else is wrong. If you don't like something about them, then you need to fix yourself (that's the companies mentality). Most of my training class (of less than a year) is already quitting or looking for new jobs, and the few people who are happy are the ones who conformed, became "one of them" and are okay with kissing butt for the rest of their careers. The people who learn how to "play the game" well enough to stick around for longer, only stay until they get enough experience on their resume to move on to a better company. The "lifers" of this organization have totally drank the TJX kool-aid and will try and convince you to do it too. If you relocated for this job, you will more than likely hate everything about this work place, because people that aren't from the New England area just don't have the same mentalities and upbringing as the people from this area have. You will likely spend the entire first year here counting down til' you can find a new job and quit without having to pay them back your relocation costs. One good thing is they don't like to fire people (sarcasm), instead they will bully you, harass you, make you feel worthless, and back you into a corner until you decide to quit.

You are treated like you are in kindergarten, and like you can't be your own person. You are expected to eat lunch daily with everyone on your team, not doing so will get you dirty looks and stares. People will question where you went for lunch, as if it isn't your own free time to do as you'd like. You are expected to constantly share your personal life with everyone, otherwise you will be treated like a black sheep. My advice if you are a private person: just make up a few lies that you can keep telling and have a fiction personal life created to share at work. You cannot survive here being a private person, no one will like you, and therefore you will likely never be promoted.

Buyers are allowed to be disrespectful and rude. It's a "thing" that is discussed in training where they describe some of the buyers as having "difficult personalities!" This is absurd, and exactly why everyone feels crappy everyday. Everyone for the most part that becomes a buyer here has to go through the training program and pipeline of roles first. Meaning they have endured all of the bullying, brain washing, and mistreatment for 4+ years until they finally have gotten into a place of power. Now they get to abuse it and relinquish all their hateful nasty ways back onto those beneath them. It is a sickening cycle, that will likely take years to reverse because it has been tolerated for so long.

The pay is below the industry average, and for all you have to go through and endure it's not worth it. The Boston area is VERY expensive to live in, and most people have 2-5 roommates just so they can afford rent. Managers that are 26+ years old still have roommates, and not by choice!

I mean I could literally write a 5 page letter on why this place is dreadful, and honestly I am on my way out the door as soon as I can as well. I used this site when I was looking for a job, and I saw some of the other reviews that said almost exactly what I was saying, and I ignored them. That was obviously a bad choice! Take it from me, the people on here complaining about the company aren't just disgruntled employees, this is real true factual information. Don't let them sell you on how friendly and nice the company is, because trust me it is all a front. One last piece of advice, if you are a minority RUN AWAY FAST....you will feel like the elephant in the room daily, and will have a much harder time making it because they are so inherently racist, and don't even realize it. You will be their shiny new toy, that everyone finds interesting and wants to play with (for the moment) and you will feel that way, because you will likely be the only one like you in your entire area! Then they will get bored of you, and you will be just "that girl" that nobody gets.

Train people to be managers before giving them managerial responsibilities. Managing people requires maturity that most of the managers here do not have. Create autonomy in the workplace. Everyone deserves respect and a voice. Stop utilizing your fake "open door" policy as a way to trap people into telling you what's going on, or how their feeling just to use it against them, or talk behind their back. You all keep saying you don't understand why the retention rate is so low, it's because you all don't treat your employees like people. You treat them like mignons that have no purpose other than to try and be molded. Why not celebrate differences, and allow people to be themselves. People don't want to come to work everyday and put on a face of fakeness just so they can get along with everyone and hopefully kiss enough butt to get promoted. Make promotions based on work performance, and eagerness to bring success to the company. People shouldn't get promoted because they gossiped with you the most, and now you guys are BFF's. Hire more men! This place is full of catty emotional women, who if you rub the wrong way one time will harbor a grudge towards you for the rest of your career.

Look at creating more realistic salaries based upon the cost of living. You all pay your Upper Management and Executives very handsomely, and pay those of us doing all of the hard grunt work very poorly, while many other companies are offering up much better starting salaries. Get rid of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality." You are seeking to fill positions with millennials who aren't interested in working for an old school company. Most of the retailers are tech saavy, fun, and interesting. TJX is not at all! Get with the program people it is almost 2015! Being off-price doesn't mean that everything including systems, salary, and work place environment has to be off-price too!

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brewster, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brewster, NY

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (more than an year)

Pros

20% every three to four months
    Birthday months people being cakes
    12 call outs allowed
    Paid training

Cons

Always schedules on days you said you were unavailable
    Coworkers throws your things when they are mad
    Forgets to add some hours on paycheck
    Advancement isn't to good

Brewster: try to keep all your employees tame. Many think of themselves as bosses even the young ones! The system isn't very strict way to easy.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at TJX Companies part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are really good at giving you the time off that you need. They are good about working around your schedule as well.

Cons

You have to deal with rude customers but that's part of life.

Decent

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

TJX is an established company.

Cons

Always spur of the moment, never concrete direction.

Typical retail job

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy work, no heavy lifting or breaking a sweat.

Cons

Laid off. Horrible pay. No benefits.

Great company culture, easy/simple policies and procedures, management style is pleasant

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, customers, & management were fantastic 99% of the time (at a great Marshalls branch in Cincinnati)

Cons

10% discount, strange. unnecessary rules, low potential for advancement or full time employment.

Be more authentic in your interactions with customers and employees rather than using an obvious fake, over the top, robotic method in your communications. It is nice that you're trying to be friendly, but if it isn't genuine sounding then it's hard to build trust.