TJX Companies Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
587 reviews filtered by

1. Fantastic company to work for.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Pittston Township, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Pittston Township, PA

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

Huge opportunity for growth and learning potential.

Cons

No cost to speak of.

Continue to invest in developing others. Great programs produce great people

great company to work for

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

Training and development of management team with consistent communication. Able to balance work/life needs.

Cons

none at this time.........great place to work

High Expectations

3. Very unprofessional

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norwalk, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norwalk, CA

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

Started off very well, co-workers were friendly, flexible with your schedule

Cons

unprofessional, management was bad, drama, favoritism, bad hours

Be more professional, use confidentiality

5. Very flexible

Current Employee - Employee in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Employee in Midland, MI

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

Accrued personal time, time off is almost always given when asked, flexibility with scheduling, seem to care about employees

Cons

Lack of communication, new rules being put in place by corporate that makes things difficult

Listen to your employees who are actually in the midst of what goes on in the store- they know the best ways to do things, not someone sitting in an office coming up with ridiculous, random ideas.

6. Wrong Direction, lack of empathy

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at TJX Companies part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great customers. Store management tends to be made up of sociable and hard working people who are good examples to the workers. Since I only worked at the store level and in only one store, my experiences may be different than the average.

Cons

I started to work for this company many years ago. At that time the pay and benefits were more in line with what other retailers were offering. I watched as new hires started at an increasingly lower rate of pay without benefits and had smaller pay rate increases each year, until finally pay raises froze for almost two years. Meanwhile the daily staff on duty shrank. This was very beneficial to the company's bottom line, as evidenced by the fiscal profits letter posted prominently in the employee break room. Constant reminders that the company was making more $ than ever, while the workers were struggling to make ends meet more than ever, had a bad effect on morale. Most of the hourly workers obtain some type of public assistance like food stamps, despite working two jobs. Giving us a letter about how many millions you make due to cutting labor costs-due to reducing how much you pay us- seems like you just purposely want us to feel disposable.

Another morale killer was the inability to move from part-time to full-time status. Many good workers asked for promotions but management placed hiring signs to seek outside hires for full time positions. For those who were lucky enough to get a coveted full time position, there was 0% chance of moving on to store management. These people were ALWAYS hired from other retailers. One full-time person had worked with the company for 25 years and did every single task that management did, including working as de-facto manager alone in the store, but he was never promoted.

Full-time employees were almost guaranteed 37-40 hours per week 7 years ago. Now they are lucky to get 32. Management posts a Sun-Sat schedule on Saturdays, so we never knew what days or shifts we would work until the last minute. Management's response to any complaints about this was that if you need a specific day off you must request it 3 weeks in advance. When workers have a variable schedule they need.to have a 'heads up' about when they will work so that they can plan their lives. This caused many worker absences needlessly. Management expected those who were not scheduled to remain on-call. If we didn't answer our phone when they called they would be angry. Most of us had second jobs to make ends meet and couldn't answer our phone while at the other job. They didn't want to hear that excuse.

I liked my managers but, particularly towards the end of my time with the company, they were always stressed about meeting their quota of TJX Rewards cards. Many savvy citizens are moving away from credit for impulse purchases. Our managers hovered over us to make sure we 'asked' and would sometimes harass customers in an attempt to get them to sign up. It made what could have been a low-paying but otherwise pleasant job become an embarrassment.

Management arranged charity drives throughout the year, often geared toward their particular religion and denomination. Asking food-stamp recipients to donate food items, clothing and money shows an astonishing ignorance and insensitivity about your subordinates' personal challenges. A few people tried to comply, but we found the winter coats from the Christmas donations in our manager's office several months later- when the store was selling shorts and tennis raquets.

Something that should have been a big red flag for me was an on-the-job injury. A heavy piece of merchandise fell on my foot. Even though I was wearing thick shoes and socks, my big toe was crushed and turned black, and I lost my toenail. I was unable to walk for a week and lost income. My manager never once asked if I was feeling better. His only thought was the paperwork we had to fill out on my first day back. I spoke with several managers in subsequent years in an attempt to change stocking procedures so that injuries wouldn't happen again. They ignored me and heavy merchandise is still placed wherever it will fit, even if that means placing 10lb weights above eye level.

The economy has since recovered after the '08 crisis and the jobs market has improved. Many of the more motivated workers left for jobs with MUCH better pay and benefits. TJX still wants to keep their wages at Wal-Mart levels (only due to the Wal-Mart press release that they would give all workers a minimum of $9 per hour did TJX follow suit, and it will likely be accompanied by staff cuts). That is certainly their right, but only time will tell if it's a good strategy. Wal-Mart sells tires; TJX sells the occasional Jimmy Choos. It makes life verydifficult for the Ops Manager, who must staff a store with workers who are knowledgeable about high end merchandise when he offers less pay than the bodega next door that hires illegal immigrants who speak no English.

I recently found a wonderful job with great pay and benefits well beyond anything I had ever imagined. Workers are promoted from within, and my supervisor told me that I'm already in line for a promotion due to great work. I really regret that I spent so many years with TJX and didn't have the confidence to aim higher until things got so bad that I couldn't pay my utility bills and had no other option. No more maxed-out credit cards! The only thing that is maxed-out now is the 401k.

The piece de resistance about my job here: Several times after giving my notice, I was told that I was a 'critical associate' and that it wouldn't be easy to replace a veteran worker like me. Yet they wouldn't offer full-time or a better hourly pay rate, even though I somehow earned LESS per hour than when I started years ago! They blamed that on budget cuts and said they had no complaints against me as a worker. Also, management is unwilling or unable to offer references of any kind for former employees. While I appreciate that they don't want to give my info over the phone, they could offer a reference letter. When I spoke to the store manager about this, he behaved as if he couldn't comprehend why anyone would want such a letter. It's true that the vast majority of his workers would not qualify for such a letter since they don't complete a two week notice, but those of us who care about our reputation need it! This was the final straw that taught me how this company really hasn't the first clue as to how to maintain good relationships with their former workers. Since I didn't finish out my notice I won't be eligible to be re-hired by the company. I'm OK that. If worse comes to worst I'll go and sell water bottles on the street corner. Pay and benefits will be about the same, and I can set my own schedule.

Don't post earnings reports in the breakroom- this hurts morale. For any full-time associates who benefit from company stock options and would like to know about the company's annual reports, offer them this info privately or, better yet, ask them to look it up on this wonderful new invention called the World Wide Web.

Be cautious to not create incentive programs that feel patronising to the workers- anything that involves popping a balloon to find a prize inside or depleting the petty cash fund to decorate the break room in a tacky and childish way for minor holidays like St. Patrick's day is often worse than doing nothing at all. An idea: giving a $50 bonus or gift card to an 'employee of the month' would cost the same but would be more effective. We had an employee of the quarter once in our store. It took two months for management to announce the winner, and it was someone who had already quit....

Create a Monday-Sunday schedule like most other companies rather than the Sun-Sat one you use now. There is a very high rate of turnover at store level, and that will only get worse due to the increasingly uncompetitive pay and benefits. Ops Manager needs more time to create the schedule, and workers can't plan their weekends. Having several days of advance notice about their weekend schedule will greatly reduce the # of call-outs on Sundays- often a store's busiest day- and will reduce management stress.

Offer a reference letter to those reliable and good workers who complete a two week notice. When a worker receives a better offer from a new job, they presently have no reason to finish out their last two weeks, since they and the person who was fired for stealing will have the same status when future prospective employers call for info about them.

DO NOT ASK YOUR WORKERS FOR MONEY. They are poor and are exactly the sort of people who need to benefit from charity. If you insist on squeezing blood from the turnip, make sure that the beneficiary will be a religiously neutral charity.

7. work at the Marshalls Distribution Center

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

Everyone at the company is very easy going, the jobs are performed at a reasonable pace. you also get three breaks during the 10 hour duration and the work is performed from Monday Through Thursday.Fridays you are off unless they offer overtime for that day or the preceding day. You can also earn more money through engineering standards.

Cons

You have to be able to stand for long periods of time and be able to lift 60 lbs or more. there is also what is called engineering standard where your time is measured and your paid extra but everything needs to be written down when you're on the clock or when you're on indirect time, which is a pain when you need to stop and fill this out throughout the day.

8. Associate Review

Current Employee - Associate in Clark, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Clark, NJ

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

nice people, nice part-time hours.

Cons

Too many chiefs and no Indians. Everyone wants to give direction, and most times they are in conflict.

It would work better if one person was the one who is in charge on a daily basis.

9. a decent job

Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

Flexible hours, usually able to pick up extra shifts, great products in the store and usually happy customers (aka excited to find a deal), super casual dress code compared to other retail dress codes I have had to adhere to.

Cons

Only 10% discount (which is understandable but still), fairly repetative work, low associate morale (could be the town I was in tho)

My particular store was a bit disorganized when it came to training me and I noticed lack of training in other associates as well. We didn't have a designated person at our location to handle training (as in, it fell on the asst. store manager but I don't believe that was even part of his job description). They just had me shadow another coordinator and a few weeks later gave me some paperwork (but it wasn't even an employee handbook) They didn't have a training register or anything like that. Poor communication amongst the store managers at my location, would usually hear associates giving out incorrect info, I would correct when I could but sometimes I would be too busy to at the time it happened. But everyone got along really well - no real drama.

10. Good company, forgets that people make the company

Current Employee - Information Technology in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Framingham, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

Established company, good salary, decent benefits

Cons

work life balance is awful. Culture is petty and competitive

11. general

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

is retail, no too much to expect.

Cons

low salary, a lot of stress, but is retail.