TJX Companies Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.1

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme (in 18 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a rewarding opportunity with flexiable hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Morrow, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Morrow, GA

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time for more than a year

Pros

Management helps you to achieve advancement.

Cons

You are given the opportunity to move to different locations and they help you with developing your skills to move into management positions

Be more aggressive with District when it comes to promoting employees who have the talent and skills to help the company obtain the vision that they have put in motion.

Good to luke -- training could be better -- not evenly yoked

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

Pretty good logistics, ordering, merchandise; liked the company discount (just a small bonus)

Cons

somwhat political -- even if you work hard & do the 'right' things...pay needs to be much better

train & treat everyone the same -- with the same details -- so everyone understands ALL the details; we're human, so make exceptions for those who really care (about job, customers, store, merchandise, etc.); don't politically get rid of really good workers, just because they've reached any tenure or 401K & 'matching' status, other tax abatement status for your huge company -- or other benefits

Outstanding Company

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager Distribution
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager Distribution

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Work Life Balance, Very Talented Senior Executive Team, Great Compensation and bonuses.

Cons

Pro Union Culture, Archaic WMS, Growth in position can be limited due to number of Hi Potential Employees brought in every year. You must seperate yourself from your peers across the country. Growth does not necessarily happen in the building that you are in.

Invest in associate base and get rid of union

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Home away from home

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Deerfield, IL

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and welcoming co-workers

Cons

Customers were sometimes grumpy

N/a

If you'd like to have a dead end career path, become an MA!

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Hands on experience with samples
    - Option to go beyond your role and assist the buyers with special projects to give you more exposure (YOU need to ask for that)
    - Fun fashion work environment
    - You're able to see merchandise go from an order to on a hanger in stores. Very cool!
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Very team driven. Everyone helps out
    - Fun social events within the company
    - New AVP, Susan, is fantastic and wants to change the Merchandising structure (we'll see if that happens)
    - Onsite gym/fitness classes (newer one in the process of being built now!)
    - Onsite dry cleaners
    - Onsite travel agency
    - Option to take developmental classes Onsite.
    - Job security. The company is doing very well which is fantastic.
    - Benefits/401K

Cons

The Merchandise Assistant position is the backbone of the merchandising world. We handle orders, assist the buyers, work with vendors, and essentially make sure everything runs smoothly from the point of receiving an order to the point of it making it to the Planning team. Not to mention the constant communication between multiple vendors as well as special projects from the buyers. We are UNDERPAID!!! We work our butts off but are looked at as merely a glorified secretary. It's so discouraging.

MAs- NO career path for this position. NONE. Here we are wanting to better ourselves, learn more, develop our skills and knowledge, and you can do that, but it won't get you anywhere! You could become an MM Admin and in that case, same deal. At that point, you're in that position forever unless you move to a different department in the company or go to Staples, where they will offer you about $15-25k more a year.

You could try for the buying program, but you probably won't get in if you're an MA. They'd rather accept a bunch of clueless fresh-out-of-college kids who think the job is some glamorous fashion job. How does that make sense? As an MA, you already know the company, you're obviously interested in moving up in the company, you know the systems, the buyers, upper management, how orders are entered etc etc. I've worked with so many people in planning who are completely clueless with what we do. I think it would REALLY benefit Planning, in general, to hire MAs within because we already have that knowledge of what happens before Planning is involved. From there, planning would be so much more in tune with what's going on because they'd understand the entire process.

MAs have to jump through hoops to get into the buying program- sucking up to anyone who might be able to help you, sitting with planning to get more exposure, sitting with buyers to get advice and maybe take on any extra work that might help you get in, etc. That's interesting considering these recent graduates, who have no knowledge of the company, get right in. However, current employees are made to perform like monkeys to "prove" they're worthy enough for a spot at a company they already work for. It's completely degrading and embarrassing.

Supervisors are generally pretty clueless with the amount of work we have and how tedious it can be. If anything goes wrong, they have no problem throwing you under the bus. However, there are a few supervisors who are amazing and very helpful.

#1 priority: Develop a clear career path for MAs. THIS IS WHAT WE ALL WANT!!!

Don't make current employees jump through hoops and run around sucking up to buyers and MMs to get into Planning. We've already built relationships within the company. We know the business. We have so much experience under our belts, yet we're not good enough.

Offer classes for employees to help prep us for the buying program interviews.
    Provide classes for employees that teach us about Planning and their roles.
    Offer classes for employees that demonstrate the analytical skills needed for the buying program.

Better pay! This is why so many people go to Staples! We do so much and most of it goes unnoticed. In other companies, this position is considered an Assistant Buyer....

Supervisors should not determine raises. I don't work for my supervisor. There are many many things that I do for my buyers that they appreciate. I assist them, not my supervisor. They should have input.

Stable Career

Current Employee - Distribution Supervisor  in  Pittston, PA
    Current Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Pittston, PA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

4 Day work week, Good Benefits

Cons

Working nights is not that great

Some managers are good, some not so good

Freelance

I worked at TJX Companies as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment. People are very respective of each other and make sure projects get done on time. Pleasant atmosphere.

Cons

Really could not find any negatives. Overall a great place to freelance for.

Intern in Public Relations Department

I have been working at TJX Companies as an intern

Pros

All levels of management were more than willing to help with teaching things as little as how to work the copier. Had to ask for bigger roles of responsibility, but the managers listened and adjusted my responsibility accordingly!

Cons

Can't think of any right now.

Varied

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large, Stable Company, that is still growing. The business model lends itself to steady growth, and proves to be especially effective during recessions.

Cons

Technology is one of larger cons to this company, the Home Office is relatively good, however what the stores are able to accomplished with there technology is nothing short of outstanding. Competition is beginning to imitate their model, and are threatening to take market share.

Growth potential seems to be very varied from department to department. Promotions seem to go to the ones who get along best with their direct managers. Additionally salaries don't appear to be as competitive as surrounding companies.

Like a bad sorority -- no free will

Former Employee - Allocation Analyst  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

.....well......... it's a big company meaning benefits are good/steady and everything is very structured, meaning promotions were frequent. The facilities were nice-ish and the

Cons

Where to start.......
    -very little autonomy in business-level decision-making. Management emphasized "speak up!" so much during training that you almost believe it. If you have too many ideas people look at you weird (they do things one way and one way only) and if you don't speak up enough because, say, you analyze internally and do not jump up and down in your chair when your product turns, then you are a black sheep-- and you will be called out.
    -promotions were frequent but they treated people like a mass cycle -- even if you weren't really a good leader you would get promoted for the heck of it
    -never have I ever been as disrespected as I was at this company. I graduated top of my class, had several job offers (clearly accepted the wrong one), and am overly-passionate about my career. I had upper management pull me into their office and tell me, and I quote, "You will never be successful." Talk about encouragement! I've moved on to another company where I've been given the autonomy and respect I deserve/earned.
    -it is considered inappropriate to talk to someone who isn't your direct manager about business ideas/questions or career advancement. EVERYTHING has a process here -- you must pay your dos and fall into rank.

Basically, if you love fashion/merchandising and want that career path then you may want to consider it. But if company culture and top-down respect is important to you, you will be disappointed. If you can stomach it you may want to at least get through training because having this on your resume in the merchandising world is a big plus. Good luck to you.

Management has recently revamped the training program which is nice in theory but according to my 10+ friends who are still there they feel it's had an overly negative effect rather than improving "the next crop" of new analysts. They run a tight business and get what needs to get done done, but employee culture is like a hostile sorority at times and there is little to no autonomy. I would say change this, but unfortunately I think TJX has been and will continue to be stuck in their ways.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!