TJX Companies Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.1

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible management allowed for a flexible schedule to help give a healthy work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• They have a very good benefits package (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • You only move up if you suck up to upper management and are a favorite (in 21 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

The TJX corporate buying internship provides interns with real world experience in the off-price retail industry.

Current Employee - Corporate Buying in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Buying in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TJX Companies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As a buying intern at TJX, you have the rare opportunity to shadow top buyers in the market and in the office. Full access to vendor relations, decision making, and business analysis is given to interns. Interns spend most of their time shadowing and gradually learn the skills required to perform tasks on their own. Compensation is above market standard for the retail industry.

Cons

Interns are placed in different departments, which can result in different experiences, some more positive than others. Hourly pay terms are difficult when shadowing salaried buyers.

Great business model. The company truly values and respects their associates .

Current Employee - Buyer II
    Current Employee - Buyer II

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Huge growth year after year provides a ton of opportunity for personal growth and responsibility . Associates are given the training support and autonomy to do their jobs effectively .

Cons

Base salary low compared to the competition but bonuses can be good in strong sales years .

Don't ever stray from the business model and culture , it works !!

Values

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TJ Maxx has a solid foundation in believing in treating people with dignity and respect. Providing people with support and training is a top priority.

Cons

Work life balance it great. If you are willing to relocate promotions are available to those who qualify.

Fantastic company to work for ever growing

Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Front End Coordinator in Greenville, SC

I worked at TJX Companies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great sense of direction
    Easy to move up
    Beautifully maintained

Cons

Man agent not on same page

Waste of time but okay first job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at TJX Companies part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met lots of great co workers with whom I still stay in touch with. Easy to get hired.

Cons

Horrible management, whenever we got a good manager who understood and liked us and listened to us, they were fired. A lot of our hard working employees got beat down and reprimanded unnecessarily and therefore all the lazy, deadbeat, no-show workers remained.

Listen to your workers and don't take all the bonuses, spend some money on repairing the ceilings and the break rooms, thank you.

Overall, good first job.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with really nice people from my 7 years of experience. TJX companies like to promote from within which is always nice. Great benefits for full time associates.

Cons

Its low paying for the amount of work. When you do get promoted it is for only a dollar raise unless you are changing to salary instead of hourly.

Good Company, Mediocre middle management.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has a very solid business plan. Company is going through growing pains...but, taking on new modern approaches to business. Company culture design from headquarters is ideal, but does not trickle down to managers.

Cons

Company is growing, and promoting store managers into district manager position is no longer successful. District managers need to be more qualified managers capable of multi unit leadership and needing motivational abilities. NOT A POSITIVE PLACE FOR SALARIED MANAGERS WORKING IN STORES.

Be more sincere, and spend less time politicking, and trying to maintain your position. Earn your position by doing your job, and actually supporting your subordinates, which will earn you respect.

Was Once A Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful home office and cafeteria.

Cons

Your Supervisor can make or break this job. This job is "babysat" like you are a child. And it is very difficult to move out of this position. For these reasons, there is a very high turnover with this position.

Treat everyone with respect.

Company needs more caring People

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

Have nothing good to say about the TJMaxx division

Cons

Senior Management are well protected even the HR Dept they all stick together not a family /work balance company speaking of the TJMaxx division, training is terrible and no cares about anything but themselves.....rude and very out of touch with there employees

Retail inferno

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

Great place for kids in HS to work during Summer as they don't have to wear an uniform, they have stores everywhere so it is possible to transfer. It is really close to my house so I don't spend a lot with gas; not that they care.That is it!

Cons

Bad salaries, bad mentality ( they prefer to yell first instead of proper training), the opportunity to grow is limited, at least not shared, there is no team work mentality.

Learn team work mentality before you try to show us those stupid videos about it.