TMC Transportation

Updated Mar 29, 2014

TMC Transportation CEO Harrold Annett

Harrold Annett

Great first job

Professional Flatbed Driver (Current Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time for more than a year

ProsMade very good money as a company driver/trainer. Very safety conscious company. Excellent equipment to drive

Consnone that I can think of. I loved my job.

It's a job

Fleet Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible lunch hours, when you get to take a lunch. Casual dress, free coffee, and nice landscaping to look at when you come into park in the morning. There is more freedom than you have at most entry level jobs. They're pretty upfront about what to expect with most aspects of the jobs they provide.

ConsEntry level office jobs with very little chance to be promoted, ever. Mostly salary positions that are treated like hourly positions whenever it benefits the company so you're stuck with the worst of both worlds. You'll be expected to work a minimum of 10 hour days and rotating weekends. Benefits are the lowest that can legally be provided; Vacation time is horrible, but that's often the case with transportation companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees growth and treat them like an asset. You can't lead by only using fear.

Line Haul Driver

Driver (Current Employee)
Albany, NY

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHometime, pay, and great equiptment

Construcks only run at 62mph

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company you can be proud to work for.

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHigh standards, great reputation among drivers in an industry where most drivers do not trust company management. Good, honest people to work with at all levels. The best group of drivers I have been asociated with after many years in the industry.

ConsManagement could be more progressive but they are improving in this area. Career advancement opportunities are not always obvious and there is no formal development training.

The Blame Game

Fleet Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TMC Transportation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGet your check every week

ConsUpper Management blames everything on the bottom guy

Advice to Senior Managementfollow the rules you have the worker follow and apply them fairly

The best company that'll hire new drivers

Driver (Former Employee)
Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at TMC Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOverall, the company was good to work for. The trucks are maintained very well. I made about $1000 a week after taxes, and the company will get you home almost every weekend. The training program is solid, safety(read: liability) is paramount, and they care about their drivers. They won't make you do anything unsafe, or get upset with you for conforming to hours of service laws provided you're operating efficiently. Pay is variable based on how well you drive- if you get good fuel economy and don't go out of route, your pay will improve. Load securement can be a pain, but the exercise is good for you and will help keep you from becoming fat. Your driver manager is everything, so if you don't like the one you've got, speak up about it and get assigned a new one. I was overall pretty happy working for TMC, and only left because I was moving to a place they don't operate.

ConsA lot of the people in the training program are enormous jackasses(it is very much like the military), but stick it out and it's much better when you get on the road. The trucks are "well equipped", but what that means is a lot of "safety" sensors that will beep at you annoyingly and drive you nuts. Maintenance is slow as all hell, and if anything breaks, you're going to be spending a ridiculous amount of time in the terminal. When you're put in a hotel, they will put two drivers in a room, which means the other person will snore like a foghorn or blast stupid crap on the TV, and you won't get good sleep. The safety department cares about liability first, cost next, and safety as a distant third. People in the safety department can be extremely disrespectful. They have absolutely insane rules about cleanliness, and you'll be washing out the inside of your truck for untold hours when you go in for maintenance. No prepass on most trucks- you pay tolls out of pocket and get reimbursed.

Great environment to be involved with

Sales (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I worked at TMC Transportation full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly and professional group of people

ConsA bit stuck in their ways

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen dialogue

dispatcher

Fleet Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TMC Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

Prosdecent pay, food on site, teamwork environment

Consload planners playing favors with dispatcher on who gets best loads, dispatchers punished for driver's behavior on the road, dispatchers are made to make promises to drivers that end up making them look like big lies.

Advice to Senior Managementlet dispatchers see what the load cordinators have on their boards, don't have a dispatch promise a drive a return load from a certain destination when it can't be guaranteed in the first place.

Best place to Train

Driver (Former Employee)

I worked at TMC Transportation

ProsThe Flatbed training program is second to none,
Clean trucks

Conscheap freight
don't care about promised home
drama at main terminal

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better paying freight and Load Planners need to stop paying favorites.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TMC Transportation

Prospay, benefits, teamwork atmosphere, on site meals, fitness center

Conslong hours, pressure at times

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to listen to your people

Worked for TMC Transportation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TMC Transportation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TMC Transportation CEO Harrold Annett. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by TMC Transportation employees.