TMK Reviews

Updated August 7, 2014
2.3

Alexander G. Shiryaev
1 Rating

Management really doesn't care about the their employees

I worked at TMK

Pros

Not going to make the money I make anywhere else.

Cons

Not a fun place to work.

Treat people the way you'd want to be treated.

Good people to work with

Current Employee - NDT Supervisor  in  Catoosa, OK
    Current Employee - NDT Supervisor in Catoosa, OK

I have been working at TMK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay and benefits. Hourly employees often must work 7 days a week 12 hour shifts.

Cons

Difficult as a supervisor to work with Union employees at times. Work most Hollidays

Do more to show you care about hourly employees. Try to eliminate the "Us vs. Them" culture

Good company, but Russian management style can be challenging

Current Employee - Finance  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Houston, TX

I have been working at TMK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is leader in the industry, fair compensation and work life balance is manageable

Cons

Working in U.S. division, Russian management is rather hands on. Much of good U.S. management was crippled with orders from Russia. When these orders failed to produce results, management was replaced. Even U.S. company has become more Russian.

Adopt more global management practices, the company is unfortunately not as well respected as leading two companies. Tenaris and Vallourec have better reputations in industry. Other Russian companies are more well respected, such as Evraz, because they have adapted to global business better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going straight to hell

Current Employee - Machine Operator  in  Camanche, IA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Camanche, IA

I have been working at TMK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay when I started. Health benefits are good.

Cons

My plant is non union so we have a lower base wage and our incentive is supposed to make up a higher percentage of our check. When I started it was good money, but the incentive has continued to drop at alarming rates since I started. Favoritism is out of control. The only way to get ahead is to have that same last name as someone in management. Safety comes after production. Hours are being cut and layoff rumors are everywhere.

Grow up and try to have a little professionalism in your career.

Room to Grow

I have been working at TMK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid benefits. Salary is comparable, but not extraordinary. The company has its share of faults and growing pains, but that leaves open the opportunity for individuals to make a name for themselves and positively affect the direction of the company. Middle management has some solid personnel, but their impact can be diminished by higher/ overseas decision makers.

Cons

Too much influence from Moscow results in a lack of clear direction. Upper management sets goals without a concise plan to achieve them. Routing of manufactured products can be a headache, but little can be done about that aspect due to geographical location of various facilities. Still, there remains much room for improvement in planning and communication. Too often the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Company is beginning to move towards a more quality focused mentality as opposed to product-out-the-door, but still has many strides to make.

Greatly reduce the amount of direct involvement from Moscow. That culture does not mix favorably with the domestic landscape and is a large cause for the extremely high turnover rate.

Lots of opportunity to make valuable contribution, but little room to grow

Former Employee - Non Management  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Non Management in Houston, TX

I worked at TMK full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are really nice, especially at the production sites. If you get to travel to other company sites, you'll really enjoy your job. Also, it's a relatively small company, so ambitious people can really make a difference with projects if they have the support of management. The pay and benefits are decent, reimbursements for business expenses are made quickly.

Cons

There is very little room for growth at TMK IPSCO, especially at the corporate headquarters. The company prefers to hire from outside rather than promote internal people when vacancies are made. There are not many training opportunities. There also seems to be some age bias, with anyone under 40 or 45 being viewed as unequal or inexperienced. Finally, the senior leadership is totally dysfunctional - both the Moscow headquarters and the U.S. managers.

Act more like executive leaders and less like micro-managers. Be more willing to promote people from within. Take time to communicate with employees by writing emails, newsletter stories or simply walking around more and getting to know your employees.

Don't apply here unless you are in need of experience to move on to a better company

Current Employee - Finance  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Houston, TX

I have been working at TMK full-time

Pros

Benefits are good
    401K match
    Great health insurance

Cons

I worked in finance. The systems are antiquated- it will bring you back to the '90's. Brush up on your excel skills!! Management soft skills are nonexistent. If you are not part of the "good 'ole boy" clique, then you are excluded. The finance department has rotated 100% with the exception of its directors. HR has not realized that without changing the directors, this trend will not end. We already know that there will not be a bonus for the 2013 year even though the company is making money.

You need to realize that we are not in Russia, here employees are treated with respect. Long hours are not the norm. You will continue to lose all of your talent by condescending and talking down to your professionals.

BIG MISTAKE WORKING FOR TMK IPSCO

Former Employee - Sales  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at TMK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are great, opportunity to work overtime everyday of the week.

Cons

Management consist of a bunch of brainless monkeys who need to be put down like dogs.

TMK IPSCO needs to hire people who have managed and trained others, not people who know how to manage emails and spreadsheets.

Do not work for a Russian Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at TMK full-time

Pros

The company offers good pay and good benefit package. I can only speak for the head office division.

Cons

There is too much politics going on. Moscow only makes it worse. Instead of focusing on improving quality and customer satisfaction (which are low), the senior management plays games with Moscow and with each other. Competition is getting fierce in this economy sector. The Chairman!!! is definitely not helping to smooth the situation between Management players. If you do not approve of current "democratic" political regime in Russia you are not likely to fit in.

There is really no good advice for management to give: look for other career alternatives because eventually you will go like everyone else. Company also has suspicious links to Russia, which stunts business development.

Glad I Left

I worked at TMK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary and health care benefits. Worked with some very nice and competent people,

Cons

Many middle managers have no idea how to work with people. Very antiquated computer systems.

Get to know the people doing the work.

Worked for TMK? Contribute to the Community!