TNG Merchandising

2.6

CEO

Fun job

I have been working at TNG Merchandising

Pros

I really like that I am not stuck in one place all the time.

Cons

Not enough pay for time spent waiting on products to be delivered. To much waiting around makes all the work need to be done on the same days.

Get your shipping and deliveries figured out so your employees can do the job they want to do for you.

Merchandising company that doesn't interact with employees

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at TNG Merchandising part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Little interaction with management, everything is done through a phone app.

Cons

You might get 5 hours or 10 hours of work a week. You might not get paid. If they screw up and don't send you correct information you will not receive pay for the work done. They rely on a phone app to communicate and if you don't follow all the steps they will dock your pay, even if you didn't receive the correct information. For all the trouble, it's hardly worth doing 6 hours of work a week.

Don't offer employees 10 to 15 hours per week during the interview and then have them work 6 hours per week.

Great company for stay at home mom or college students

I have been working at TNG Merchandising

Pros

I love the flexibility of the job. Also like the fact that I have no boss looking over my shoulder constantly. Clip Strips is a newer part of the job so I can't speak for magazines, books, cds, etc....also if I stock more than one store in a day, I get mileage between stores. Perfect job for stay at home mom like me to do while the kids are in school.

Cons

Not any that I can really think of at the moment. More pay is always nice, but that goes for any job.

One of the Worst Places I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Merchandiser in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in San Jose, CA

I have been working at TNG Merchandising part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very few pros for working here, at least as a merchandiser. Have worked for them for over 5 years now. Flexibility and being able to somewhat work the hours that work for you would pretty much be the only pro to this job, besides dealing with mostly nice people at the stores that you service.

Cons

So many cons to working here. It's part-time and your hours per pay period will vary. Difficult to work another job along with this one, because when there's a holiday, they'll give you the holiday off (w/o pay) and you'll have to work Wednesday, the day you would usually have off. Very little support from management or instruction. Have had 5 different supervisors. When this happens, you may or may not stil be servicing the same stores, as the company may change that supervisors territory coverage. This means you may be able to pickup hours or just as easily lose hours. The company has changed names 4 times since I started working for them and has been involved in at least 2 class action lawsuits, brought on by employees. Expected to do work related tasks on your own time using your personal phone, computer, printer. Doing a good job and being reliable does not constitute a raise!. Have been offered, a supervisory position with them, but there was no way, after seeing, what they go through and how much time they are expected to put in to this job, would I even consider it for the salary they offer. Totes are very heavy, so if you don't have much upper body strength, may not be the job for you. In my opinion, this job is best suited for college students, wishing to make a little money (emphasis on little) that go to school nights or maybe retirees, with upper body strength, that are looking to supplement their income.

Advise potential employees of all of the things they will be expected to do on their own time, for the company. Provide better training. Provide better training to management, so that we feel that we actually have support.

Politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TNG Merchandising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Set own schedule, good people to work with, mostly.

Cons

Politics, to much CYA. People not valued.

Merchandiser

I worked at TNG Merchandising

Pros

Fast Paced, great hours for students.

Cons

No benefits, non professional management.

Wasted 5 years on this company

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Louisville, KY

I have been working at TNG Merchandising part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was the flexibility of different stores.

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE, including SUPERVISORS who do not care about you as an employee!

LEARN how to run a company. . .answer your emails, If you are going to terminate a person, you could at least let them know instead of blocking them from ALL systems.

Very dysfunctional management and distribution system.

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at TNG Merchandising part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being one's own boss, and flexible (part-time) scheduling,

Cons

Lack of willingness on the part of mgmt to support their employees, heavy lifting, too much driving, orders not filled. There is also an expectation that employees have to perform managerial functions, such as getting cooperation from individual store managers. There is also no definite delivery schedule. Some store managers have little respect for tng employees. Also, books are hardly ever checked in when a merchandiser arrives at a store.

Increase pay, get district supervisors to be more involved, and stop blaming all of the store problems on the merchandiser when the district supervisor provides no back-up. Give a vehicle allowance; drive time is a joke.

Favorite Job!

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Springfield, OH

I have been working at TNG Merchandising part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The flexibility of the schedule is the best! Some accounts can be serviced any day of the week when ever you want. Others have specific days. I can take it slow getting ready in the morning and do chores at home and then go in a little later if needed. If it snows I don't have to be there right at 8am or anything so, I can take my time and be safe getting there. There aren't any other co-workers with me so, I can work the way I like without anyone bugging me. Most of the people at the accounts are really nice. I've made some friends by getting to know some of them. The few supervisors I know are really nice and understanding. If you make a mistake they just let you know what you did and how to fix it. They never yell or make you feel bad. There isn't a supervisor breathing down your neck everyday.

Cons

Only part-time, unless you move into management. Can be very few hours depending on how many accounts you pick up. Can be annoying if the shipment doesn't arrive on time, but that doesn't happen too often. Management at some accounts can be a pain, but you usually don't have to deal with them too much. No pay for mileage or wear and tear to vehicle. The job can be pretty physical if you do books and magazines. They are pretty heavy. Lots of walking if that is a problem for you. I personally like it to keep moving and not sitting at a desk all day. If you have an apple computer the programs don't work well with it.

Offer full-time potions. Let merchandisers earn some vacation /sick time. Pay mileage, gas is expensive! Have computer programs that will work with a variety of computer systems since you require the employee to provide their own computer. Have a MAC friendly operating system option.

Merchandiser

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Lake Worth, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Lake Worth, FL

I have been working at TNG Merchandising part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being on your own, manger wasn't horrible

Cons

Everthing else wasn't very good

none