TNS Global

TNS Global Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 27, 2014

TNS Global CEO Eric Salama

Eric Salama

Pros
  • Furthermore good exposure in terms of client exposure (in 5 reviews)

• It's a big institution and the best place to learn market research (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is horribly messed up, you have no time at all to do anything else (in 8 reviews)

• They also requested employees to work long hours on occasion (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights
22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work. Learned a lot.

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to work. Learned a lot.

ConsGenerally hard working environment.

TNS Review

Research Executive (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople are hardworking
    Interesting projects
    Lots of different areas of the business

ConsLots of people in the same role as you trying to get promoted
    Pay is much lesser in this industry

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the company more effecient, and reward your employees more.

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorking in what appears to be a nice building, from the outside.

ConsEverything else. I can't stress that enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay, show meaningful paths for employee development, and cut the fat where necessary. Too many people in positions of power who have little skill or ability; conversely, too many underused and undervalued employees, who constantly badmouth the company both on and off the clock.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excited about the possibilities

Regional Trainer/Field Supervisor (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsRemote working, travel, the training atmosphere and attitude

Consno imput at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo input at this time.

Invariably nice, creative people, interesting work, most of the time in third gear

Research Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLots of opportunities to learn - TNS is very flexible and open in this regard - there are always opportunities to get involved with projects around the business if you talk to the right people. Every project I've worked on has been seriously interesting, very clearly presented and has had usually practical conclusions. Almost all are very well thought through and thoroughly well organised. There's a genuine almost academic culture of sharing knowledge and ideas and lots of people in the business who really know what they're doing. Senior management is forward thinking and is expanding and taking the business forward in innovative ways.

ConsPay - for the hours we often work, but this must be qualified because market research clients in general expect to only pay a certain amount for the work we do, and as a result we can't expect to be paid strategy consultants' salaries. The company is usually very flexible about the hours its people work but as is always the case with project based work, people often end up working 50-55 hr weeks, which is less than other professions but quite lengthy considering the remuneration. I've only rarely heard people complain about this because almost everyone seems to have a genuine interest in what they're doing.

In some teams very little responsibility is put in the hands of juniors and more could be expected of them. Promotion also seems at a junior level at least to be based too much on time served rather than an objective look on an individual level at what people are able to bring to the business or natural ability in a particular field.

Avoid the Consumer team

Research Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe people are quite nice...

ConsThe consumer team suffers from a leadership team that is focussed on sales but lacks interest in completing quality research and the efficient operation of the department.

Research Executives and Senior Research Executive are there to support Directors who have zero mentoring skills nor passion for the industry. The team is so inefficient and people typically work 9-7.30+ unnecessarily for low salaries and little reward in bonuses, training or other perks.

The business frequently talks about digital and big data, but is clueless as to how to implement projects in this area.

Zero meaningful training.

AVOID!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild capability within your middle management of Research Directors / Associate Directors. They do not feel empowered to affect change or innovate. Many of them will never, but some could. This lack of ownership filters down to RE and SREs.

Process driven advice to clients leaves you vulnerable to management consultancies and boutique agencies.

stimulating environment, hard-working but slow to change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI enjoy working in this highly intelligent environment with intellectually stimulating colleagues; TNS has a really strong focus on clients and rewards results.

ConsHR slow to react; it can be somewhat political; lots of great ideas, but not enough taking responsibility; resistance to change; at the Kantar level it's a bit of a good 'ol boys network, though they would deny it.

Advice to Senior Managementthink longer term; global is in a bubble and needs to

Great people, not exciting job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNice atmosphere, helpful people, comfortable environment, trainings, great clients

Consno clear path for advancement, stagnation, work could be very repetitive

great experience, poor pay

Prosworking with some excellent people

Conslack of progression / pay

Lots of work - not enough pay

Research Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsA lot of bright, innovative and creative people. Many research solutions and up-to-date market research technology. Encourage cross-company collaboration and learning opportunities.

ConsMuch like any big company - a lot of bureaucracy. Sometimes feels like you are pulling teeth getting something approved, negotiating. A lot of work for little pay. Not much job security and superficial management - not interested in concerns of employees although outwardly showing that they care.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency. Demonstrate that you actually care for the employee instead of just the bottom line.

Worked for TNS Global? Contribute to the Community!