TNS Global

Updated December 14, 2014
2.7

TNS Global CEO Eric Salama
Eric Salama

Pros
  • Furthermore good exposure in terms of client exposure (in 6 reviews)

• It's a big institution and the best place to learn market research (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is horribly messed up, you have no time at all to do anything else (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, structured promotion cycle, basic benefits, not flexible (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

TNS Review

Former Employee - Research Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at TNS Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are hardworking
    Interesting projects
    Lots of different areas of the business

Cons

Lots of people in the same role as you trying to get promoted
    Pay is much lesser in this industry

Make the company more effecient, and reward your employees more.

A hard job for those with a thick skin and indifference to the details.

Current Employee - Interviewer in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a casual position, you can change what days per week you work (with the exception of Saturday, mandatory with one other day of your choosing).
    The expenses cover is fair.
    Generally the people: mentors, supervisors etc seem reasonable and you are listened to more or less.

Cons

For a company whose sole business is to write surveys they cannot apply that practically at all. In fact the Random probability surveys you will be sent out on are atrociously put together.
    Given the emphasis in training on not insulting people of leading interviews, this becomes impossible because the 'Omnibus' surveys are so exhaustive and badly written you will cease to car about what is being said, which makes motivating yourself that much harder.
    Some surveys are complete nonsense and it is evident that services are being mis-sold.
    You have to be outdoors during the weather.
    Worst of all you can be working 10 hour days when things are not well organised, which has happened a lot in the last few months. Having to research locations and inform the police or your presence makes the preparation prior to the 6 hours needed to interview, with travel time easily turn into a very long day at distant locations.
    Having to inform the police prior to interview is a major hassle and not something incorporated into your expenses.
    The phone system was completely messed up and at times when returning a call from my mobile (through my voice mail) I would be taken to the offices of Millward Brown, and not the individual who called me.
    Generally very bad communication between departments.
    Very bad IT management, hence badly written surveys.
    Very poor performance related pay rates, a better rate or equivalent basic rate could be taken into consideration.
    Was told I would have the option of continuing with a day rate past the first six weeks, this didn't happen.
    Very unsociable hours.

Sort out the communication and don't screw people on the prospect of getting a regular pay when it's not going to happen.

The market research interviewers are undervalued

Current Employee - Market Research Interviewer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Market Research Interviewer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The trainer and field supervisor were genuine and good people who helped me out a lot. I have a lot of respect for them.

Cons

The training was a joke. It was 3 days of mainly drinking tea, the computers didn't work so couldn't do some of the important stuff. The laptop for interviewing is a brick and would be much better if interviewers had a tab. We were told the reason for the computers not working in training was just teething problems after recently updating/changing the software. For recently changed software I was surprised at how un-user friendly it is. For example, the list of addresses aren't even in order (eg. 15,12,107,188,2) and after 6 hours out on the street it will drive you crazy that they can't even get that right. Questions are often repeated, such as 'how many people in your household?' is asked at the beginning and end. During my first interview the computer froze and I had to re-start. They told us that knocking on peoples doors while they're having dinner it isn't cold calling, I disagree. The interviewers have to go out in the rain, 6 hours with no break, cold calling knocking on doors, and yet no sense of being part of anything, no sense of value and with no guaranteed hours, no contract, no security, no faith in the management.

If you want TNS to be a great company, you need to make it great through-out. Interviewers are the front line and how the majority of the public will see TNS. Interviewers should have the latest technology - a tab with internet access would allow results to be sent out straight away, and at the very least they should have user friendly software.
    Nobody I interviewed had heard of TNS or Kantar, they are not household names. If people knew TNS, they may be more willing to answer our surveys and we could probably do twice as many - thus double the profits which mean you could pay the lower rank staff what they deserve.
    Give the interviewers a break - 6hrs with no break actually lowers productivity.
    These days, if people do online surveys, they get paid, but when we knock on the door, they don't get anything, so why would they answer a 20min survey? Would you?
    When I attended training, 5 people never turned up! I didn't even have a proper interview and it seems you just take on anybody who applies. Do some proper interviewing first and you'll save yourselves some money and improve productivity.

Great place to work. Learned a lot.

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at TNS Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work. Learned a lot.

Cons

Generally hard working environment.

Great clients, not so great management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

TNS works with every blue-chip client you can name, so it's a fantastic opportunity to work with some really great clients on high-profile projects. I worked with a brilliant team of bright, enthusiastic people. The company has a huge global reach. There are good opportunities for progression, though the slow pace of the company means it's hard to promote people quickly even when you know they deserve it. Salaries are decent though not exceptional. Benefits are ok.

Cons

There could not be a greater contrast between the front-line researchers (enthusiastic, imaginative, dedicated to clients) and management. The company is run like a Soviet-era bureaucracy. Senior management cares only for empire-building and being seen to comply with whatever this month's corporate priority is (which will be forgotten by next month). Senior management is totally internally focused rather than focused on clients. Teams are under-resourced, which means everyone is expected to work long hours as a matter of course.

Flatten the management structure. There are too many levels of management above Research Director who get in the way of researchers serving their clients. Make supporting your researchers in delivering great service to clients the number one priority.

Excited about the possibilities

Current Employee - Regional Trainer/Field Supervisor in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Remote working, travel, the training atmosphere and attitude

Cons

no imput at this time.

No input at this time.

Awful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in what appears to be a nice building, from the outside.

Cons

Everything else. I can't stress that enough.

Increase pay, show meaningful paths for employee development, and cut the fat where necessary. Too many people in positions of power who have little skill or ability; conversely, too many underused and undervalued employees, who constantly badmouth the company both on and off the clock.

Invariably nice, creative people, interesting work, most of the time in third gear

I have been working at TNS Global full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn - TNS is very flexible and open in this regard - there are always opportunities to get involved with projects around the business if you talk to the right people. Every project I've worked on has been seriously interesting, very clearly presented and has had usually practical conclusions. Almost all are very well thought through and thoroughly well organised. There's a genuine almost academic culture of sharing knowledge and ideas and lots of people in the business who really know what they're doing. Senior management is forward thinking and is expanding and taking the business forward in innovative ways.

Cons

Pay - for the hours we often work, but this must be qualified because market research clients in general expect to only pay a certain amount for the work we do, and as a result we can't expect to be paid strategy consultants' salaries. The company is usually very flexible about the hours its people work but as is always the case with project based work, people often end up working 50-55 hr weeks, which is less than other professions but quite lengthy considering the remuneration. I've only rarely heard people complain about this because almost everyone seems to have a genuine interest in what they're doing.

In some teams very little responsibility is put in the hands of juniors and more could be expected of them. Promotion also seems at a junior level at least to be based too much on time served rather than an objective look on an individual level at what people are able to bring to the business or natural ability in a particular field.

Avoid the Consumer team

Current Employee - Research Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are quite nice...

Cons

The consumer team suffers from a leadership team that is focussed on sales but lacks interest in completing quality research and the efficient operation of the department.

Research Executives and Senior Research Executive are there to support Directors who have zero mentoring skills nor passion for the industry. The team is so inefficient and people typically work 9-7.30+ unnecessarily for low salaries and little reward in bonuses, training or other perks.

The business frequently talks about digital and big data, but is clueless as to how to implement projects in this area.

Zero meaningful training.

AVOID!!!!!

Build capability within your middle management of Research Directors / Associate Directors. They do not feel empowered to affect change or innovate. Many of them will never, but some could. This lack of ownership filters down to RE and SREs.

Process driven advice to clients leaves you vulnerable to management consultancies and boutique agencies.

stimulating environment, hard-working but slow to change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working in this highly intelligent environment with intellectually stimulating colleagues; TNS has a really strong focus on clients and rewards results.

Cons

HR slow to react; it can be somewhat political; lots of great ideas, but not enough taking responsibility; resistance to change; at the Kantar level it's a bit of a good 'ol boys network, though they would deny it.

think longer term; global is in a bubble and needs to