TNS Global Reviews

2.4
TNS Global Global CEO Richard Ingleton
Richard Ingleton
1 Rating

Pros
  • Furthermore good exposure in terms of client exposure (in 6 reviews)

• This place acts as a good place to learn the different aspects of Market Research (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, structured promotion cycle, basic benefits, not flexible (in 8 reviews)

1. Interviewer

Former Employee - Market Research Interviewer in Ealing, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Market Research Interviewer in Ealing, England (UK)

Pros

Flexible shifts, paid more than minimum wage

Cons

Treated very much like a child and/or given very little direction from management. Training is completed with 2 days which is unpaid and you're placed on a probation period of 6 weeks/25 shifts and only a few people are kept on after that. There's very little discussion around soft skill expectation. Management do very little to make staff feel welcome and often treat them like school children when half of staff are graduates inbetween work. Supervisors have favourites who progress in the company before other individuals who are of higher calibre.

Advice to Management

Treat staff like employees rather than students as this will retain far more staff. Incentives play an important role so ensure that they are realistic and achievable. Promote staff for merit rather than who they know.

2. Senior Research Execuitve

Current Employee - Senior Research Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Established global research agency, part of the WPP group of companies.

Cons

Woeful senior management of the UK business.

3. Ok-ish

Current Employee - Team Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok ish office, some nice people. Company days are a good excuse to get out of office. Department I work for is forgotten by directors etc

Cons

No life/work balance, crap pay, upper management blinkered as they have been there too long. No development or room for movement

Advice to Management

Listen

5. just a job

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Landore, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Landore, Wales (UK)

Pros

good pay for what you do but you need your own transport to and from locations and prepare to work in all conditions

Cons

They do not value the talent that they have.

Advice to Management

Promote your people

6. Awful Company! Avoid!

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Hull, England (UK)

I worked at TNS Global part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free hot drinks, nice colleagues

Cons

The premise of the job is to cold call clients in their homes and ask them interview questions on a variety of topics e.g health and lifestyle. I heard about TNS from a friend who worked at the company. They were looking for new Telephone Interviewers so I rang the company and they took my details. I then attended an assessment day where there were team-building exercises such as introducing yourself and moral scenarios. You are not paid for this two day training and you are only give 30 minutes lunch time for a day lasting from 10am-5.30pm. Once I passed the assessment centre I was put to work on the call-centre floor,which was exciting at first as with all new roles. However after working there for a couple of weeks, I realized a few things. A) The environment of this workplace is very demotivating! The supervisors look like they hate their job, which in turn demotivates the staff. B) I asked my new colleagues if they enjoyed their job and everyone I asked hated the job or said that it was an ok place to work. You are assigned seating randomly in different colored sections so you sit next to new people all the time. C) The amount of abuse you receive is not worth the minimal £6.30 pay. Strike Rates are next to impossible to achieve due to slow-diallers, answerphones and fax machines. Of course the presence is that every 1 in 10 person will do an interview. This is nonsense. D) I came across graduates and people who were wasting their lives with this company. Most of the time you are perceived as a nuisance caller even if you are ringing on behalf of the government! If you are looking for to be treated as a person, this is NOT the company for you. And if you are a school leaver, graduate or a part-time self-employed person this company is only looking to exploit people into doing fast-paced labour at minimal cost. I quit in the end, because it wasn't worth my time or intelligence.

Advice to Management

A) Pay your staff more. B) Improve working conditions. Not the worst i've seen, but certainly a sweat box smelling of Pot Noodle. C) Make your supervisors wear actual clothes (or smart casual at the very least). Not ripped jeans and smelly shoes! D) Get rid of the company and do something useful instead.

7. Research Executive

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at TNS Global as a contractor

Pros

Relaxed and friendly environment. Flexible with time

Cons

Low pay. Recruitment freeze prevents move from temp to permanent

Advice to Management

Communicate with staff. Provide paths for improvement

8. Delivery/Development restructure makes doing good interesting research difficult

Current Employee - Research Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is fairly relaxed, has a laid back culture, The training available is amazing There is an alright benefits package Quite a few opportunities to social with other people in the company and the team. If you prove yourself you are rewarded with bonuses There is the opportunity to progress if again you prove yourself

Cons

My biggest issue was the delivery/development departmental split. I think that it has added some unnecessary bureaucracy to the whole research process. There were squabbles over which department is supposed to be doing what task, but if teams spent that time just doing the task it would have been done! Another issue is that one department is so obviously more desirable than the other, and although on several occasions I asked to be transferred to the other department i was actively discouraged from doing so. Despite the fact that I spoke of low levels of job satisfaction and had demonstrated that I would have thrived int he department. A lot of my colleagues left the company because they were not given the opportunity to transfer. A lot of time/money/effort is wasted on process, filling in additional forms, updating all the additional systems and I understand that a business so large has to have some regulation, but there are instances where it becomes inefficient and costly and there is a lot of that on projects.

Advice to Management

All of the regulation in an effort to make the company efficient has in fact made it very inefficient. There is far too much emphasis on our internal processes and not the clients that we are supposed to be research. So much time and effort is allocated to rolling out new initiatives and training employees in the new systems that they don't even have the time to do the desk research for their clients! It makes the job boring, and the company as a whole less desirable. I also think that it is important to give junior employees the room to explore and see what it is that they are interested in doing, what they are good at. This will prevent the company loosing talent because a lot of these people are leaving to work for your competitors because they feel trapped in a department with low levels of job satisfaction!

9. Great place to learn about the industry

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at TNS Global as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Office culture is generally quite Informal, making it easy for newcomers to fit in -Flat office structure -Good work/life balance

Cons

Generally not much dissatisfaction, however informal office culture might have taken an expense to general work efficiency.

10. Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Research Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TNS Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of potential for career progression Good office culture - friendly and collaborative Large company means more able to spread high workload

Cons

Lower to middle of the range pay for this position Seems difficult to get a pay rise Rigid corporate structure

11. Overall good place to start career

Current Employee - Statistician in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Statistician in London, England (UK)

Pros

- trainings - work environment - variety of projects - variety of clients

Cons

- poor communication on the execs-analysts line - too many boring meetings - too many announcements - pay rise almost impossible

RSS Feed </> Embed