TNTP Reviews

Dan Weisberg

1. Great Nonprofit

Former Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY

I worked at TNTP part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is very passionate and knowledgeable. The management is well-run and solid. People are super friendly and supportive The pay was very reasonable.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about TNTP.

Advice to Management

I think your flexibility, adaptability and willingness to innovate are tremendous! Keep up the good work!

2. Great organization

I have been working at TNTP full-time

Pros

work where you live, smart colleagues, impactful organization

Cons

Fully remote culture can be challenging, but TNTP tries its best to balance the cons

3. Teaching Fellow

Former Employee - Exceptional Children's Teacher K-2 in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Exceptional Children's Teacher K-2 in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TNTP full-time

Pros

Positive can do attitudes. Tenacious teacher training weeds out the weak. Continuous support. Top notch information and unique training gives teaches a 4 year head start.

Cons

High work load. Stress inducing nd energy zapping boot camp. Idealistic at times. Easy acceptance into the program allows for negative and pessimistic people with poor work ethic which ruins morale.

Advice to Management

The quality of the coaching can make or break a cohort. Provide more support through out the school year and less work requirements on the portfolio.

Ed Pioneer

I worked at TNTP

Pros

Very , very smart, committed people.

Cons

Definitely take themselves too seriously.

Coach

I worked at TNTP part-time

Pros

A big pro is this company main goal is to help new teachers. They want to develop teachers so that they will have a positive impact on student achievement.

Cons

There are alot of type of A people there. Type A is good but it would be nice to a have a balance.

Advice to Management

It will be helpful to have more employees who can directly relate to the students they serve. Some employees have a false sense of understanding.

Program operations

I worked at TNTP part-time

Pros

Very professional, productive staff members who are there to work and take their jobs seriously. Generally a transparent environment where people will know how they're doing. Strong emphasis on personal professional development.

Cons

Way too understaffed--people singlehandedly running and managing huge operations that really require at least three or four other people to run smoothly. While it can be nice that everyone takes their jobs seriously, some of them take their jobs too seriously and it can be grating. Mostly staffed by TFA alumni who no longer want to be in the classroom for whatever reason. TNTP has its employees actively enforcing policies that may or may not be best practices for fellows. Part-time work is tricky for an organization like TNTP. They are pretty well set up to offer part-time work, because they have a variety of projects that are seasonal or short-term, but working part-time for TNTP is like working full time for anyone else, without the benefits or salary. They will constantly contact you outside of the agreed upon hours, and because their sense of urgency is so extreme, it can be really stressful. Work-life balance is a constant struggle, especially during the crazier parts of the enrollment season/school year. As someone who has spent the better part of my career working out a work-life balance that I feel comfortable with, having those boundaries violated for a low-paying part-time position was a deal breaker for me. People who enter TNTP after having worked in inner city schools will understand that work-life balance is critical to working effectively in education management.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your staffing numbers at certain sites. Create stronger boundaries and guidelines in protecting part-time workers from being exploited by their salaried supervisors. Focus on retention and keeping staffers in the same departments or at the same sites over constant internal promotion, which upsets the carefully created balance at regional offices.

8. A great opportunity to develop teaching skills in the summer

I worked at TNTP

Pros

Increased familiarity with proven TLAC techniques Leadership experience gained working with adults

Cons

Dis-organized at times Felt like a sorority at times

9. Overall good learning experience.

I worked at TNTP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The purpose is great and TNTP really makes positive change in education. The goals of the company are truly in the spirit of helping students get the most out of their education.

Cons

The managers are often with little or no education experience. While this sometimes helps keep their perspectives fresh, it also limits their ability to work with stakeholders.

Advice to Management

Consider that leadership can be found in very diverse sectors and that the best way to bring out the best results involves all points of view.

Great experience.

Former Employee - Project Director
    Former Employee - Project Director

I worked at TNTP (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great cause, great pay, great benefits. Worked to develop young workers.

Cons

Constant change in focus made aligning priorities hard. It seemed at times things were over-thought and constantly analyzed. Work-life balance was often talked about but hard to achieve.

Good people; too much change and hard to feel like you're succeeding

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TNTP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing, very driven and invested in the organization's mission to help all students get a great education. The leadership is strong and they talk a good game on work-life balance and supporting staff development, but it's not always realized in practice. Many staff work from home, which I really appreciate, but just know that it can be isolating at times and also it's hard to stop working...ever. There are good opportunities for growth for some, but not all employees (even those who do well in their roles) because more senior staff do tend to stick around a long time and there doesn't seem to be a real focus on helping talented people transition to new roles outside their core experience area when there are no growth opportunities within their current departments.

Cons

The organization has always been adaptive, but the pace of change over the past few years has been disorienting and at times demoralizing. Long hours are the norm and expected (they tell you 10+/hour days on hiring, but that can often be low) and it can be difficult to unplug. Given how hard we work and how much we care, it can be frustrating to feel like the organization keeps switching gears to keep up with market developments - it makes you feel like all that hard work has been wasted effort. It also feels like they are pushing into new areas of operation because they see needs and business development opportunities, but the expertise to deliver on those is not necessarily in place. The organization is in a really good place right now, but it's hard to predict how this is going to play out (which is why I rated neutral on organizational outlook and would not recommend the organization to a friend). TNTP has a a feedback-intensive culture, but it can be difficult to feel like you're succeeding because the focus is often on areas for growth. One year, I was incredibly worried about my performance (despite working 70-hour weeks for months at a stretch) because I got so much negative feedback. My annual performance review was mixed, saying that I'd met some but not all of my goals. And then I got a large bonus with a note indicating that I was among the very top employees that year. I almost quit multiple times because I felt like I was working so hard and still not succeeding. Don't get me wrong, the tangible bonus was great, but it would be nice if it was accompanied by encouraging words during the year so that I wasn't riddled with anxiety about my performance when I was apparently seen as doing exceptionally good work.

Advice to Management

Put ideals into practice around work-life balance, opportunities for growth. I know you're working on a new compensation structure - please think about the fact that when people work remotely they still work in different places with different costs and that needs to be acknowledged in compensation or you'll lose access to talented people who live in more expensive places (DC, NYC, Chicago, LA, SF) - many of which happen to also be cities where we work. Bonuses are nice, but personally, I'd rather get salary increases that recognize strong performance but also provide a predictable idea of your annual earnings.

RSS Feed </> Embed