TNTP Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
3.4

TNTP CEO Ariela Rozman
Ariela Rozman

Mission-driven, brilliant people who are working to change the face of teaching

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are incredible and hard working. In addition, the organization values its employees and how hard they work day in and day out. It's also an extremely flexible working environment.

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge with everyone working so hard to advance the mission. Other than that, it's a great place to work!

Good people; too much change and hard to feel like you're succeeding

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing, very driven and invested in the organization's mission to help all students get a great education.

The leadership is strong and they talk a good game on work-life balance and supporting staff development, but it's not always realized in practice. Many staff work from home, which I really appreciate, but just know that it can be isolating at times and also it's hard to stop working...ever.

There are good opportunities for growth for some, but not all employees (even those who do well in their roles) because more senior staff do tend to stick around a long time and there doesn't seem to be a real focus on helping talented people transition to new roles outside their core experience area when there are no growth opportunities within their current departments.

Cons

The organization has always been adaptive, but the pace of change over the past few years has been disorienting and at times demoralizing. Long hours are the norm and expected (they tell you 10+/hour days on hiring, but that can often be low) and it can be difficult to unplug. Given how hard we work and how much we care, it can be frustrating to feel like the organization keeps switching gears to keep up with market developments - it makes you feel like all that hard work has been wasted effort. It also feels like they are pushing into new areas of operation because they see needs and business development opportunities, but the expertise to deliver on those is not necessarily in place. The organization is in a really good place right now, but it's hard to predict how this is going to play out (which is why I rated neutral on organizational outlook and would not recommend the organization to a friend).

TNTP has a a feedback-intensive culture, but it can be difficult to feel like you're succeeding because the focus is often on areas for growth. One year, I was incredibly worried about my performance (despite working 70-hour weeks for months at a stretch) because I got so much negative feedback. My annual performance review was mixed, saying that I'd met some but not all of my goals. And then I got a large bonus with a note indicating that I was among the very top employees that year. I almost quit multiple times because I felt like I was working so hard and still not succeeding. Don't get me wrong, the tangible bonus was great, but it would be nice if it was accompanied by encouraging words during the year so that I wasn't riddled with anxiety about my performance when I was apparently seen as doing exceptionally good work.

Put ideals into practice around work-life balance, opportunities for growth.
    I know you're working on a new compensation structure - please think about the fact that when people work remotely they still work in different places with different costs and that needs to be acknowledged in compensation or you'll lose access to talented people who live in more expensive places (DC, NYC, Chicago, LA, SF) - many of which happen to also be cities where we work. Bonuses are nice, but personally, I'd rather get salary increases that recognize strong performance but also provide a predictable idea of your annual earnings.

Work, work, work, work... then no license in the end.

Former Employee - Fellow  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Fellow in Chicago, IL

I worked at TNTP

Pros

They do an alright job supporting teachers and getting them in the class with many necessary skills.

Cons

Even though, there is individual coaching there was a lack of knowledge in advising on specific content areas in the sciences specifically. Also, they adhere to their one size fits all evaluations and are unwilling to account for individual situations and experiences.

Need some better strategies for supporting the different content area teachers that they are supposed to be supporting.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exhausting and overworked

I worked at TNTP

Pros

The mission is very clear. They will kill you doing it along the way ...

Cons

They expect you to work 60 plus hours a week and not receive any compensation for it.. 683 per week before taxes to work 7 to 7 every day... Then send you home with many extra hours of work to accomplish for their mission .

Check into labor laws.. You have to be paid for overtime ...

Great for Flexible, Part-Time Work

I have been working at TNTP part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are many opportunities that allow you to work from home, with flexible hours.
    It is a rigorous organization with high standards. There are countless opportunities to learn.
    People are friendly and eager to help.

Cons

It is difficult to get consistent part-time work, as most positions are seasonal or temporary.
    When working part-time, you are sometimes called upon to work many additional hours, or to know information/have skills you may not have.

Mission-driven, challenging, and rewarding work.

Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at TNTP full-time

Pros

There is a unique concentration of high-quality people at TNTP - I've never collaborated with such smart and hard-working colleagues. I've learned a ton working here, far more than any other company or academic program could have taught me. The flexibility to work from home is a perk.

Cons

Work-life balance is inconsistent across the organization - some managers do a good job protecting staff, but the org-wide culture allows some people's hours to get out of control.

gives great training but you work for it

Former Employee - Pst Instructor  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Pst Instructor in Washington, DC

I worked at TNTP part-time for less than a year

Pros

they are very organized and provide great training

Cons

very demanding work that can be overwhelming

Excellent place to hone skills necessary for the classroom!

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN

I have been working at TNTP full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Skills were clearly modeled for me and I got a lot of coaching to make sure I understood "what to do"
    - Skills I learned at NTF training have paid off in my classroom and impressed my principal
    - My kids, nothing beats working in education!

Cons

- Fast pace!
    - Nerve racking finding a job over the summer (this worked out)
    - A lot of hours

Keep working to share feedback, this was the most helpful part of all training

Great place to work with others to help recruit quality instructors.

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I worked at TNTP as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent place to hone your recruiting experience.

Cons

Very limited amount of time to finish paperwork involved in evaluating candidates.

Purposeful work but no time for yourself

I worked at TNTP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues, mission of the organization, professional growth, benefits.

Cons

Salary appears high but isn't when you take into account how much and how hard you work, work-life balance (they advertise 50 hour work week as the standard, when really it is 70+ hours per week), constant changes in upper level management and organizational priorities leads to chaos and lack of support on sites. Constant stress, inability to truly "unplug" after hours/on weekends/on vacation.

Worked for TNTP? Contribute to the Community!