TNTP Teaching Fellows Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
CEO

A rigorous preparation for teaching

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having just finished the program, I can say that it did an excellent job of preparing me for the reality of teaching in an urban school. I was given excellent tools by the coaches and staff in the program to ensure that my students are achieving as much as they should, which really showed up in my students' end-of-the-year test scores. Additionally, while I was brand new at teaching last year, I was consistently praised by my administration for my abilities in the classroom; while I wish I could take credit for this, it would not have been possible without the training I was given by TNTP. TNTP emphasizes classroom management a great deal, which enables its teachers to nip behavior issues as they arise and ensure that students are on task and on track (this seems minor, but when I compare my classroom to those of TFA teachers, the difference is noticeable). Instruction in curriculum is solid as well, and I am able to create solid and thought-provoking lesson plans based upon what I was taught by TNTP staff. In my opinion, the greatest strength of the program is its use of coaches. I had two different coaches, one for summer training and another for the school year, and each was excellent in her own regard. I was pushed to become a good teacher, and never let off the hook, which is essential as one builds habits and mindsets in the first year of teaching. Additionally, my coaches were in my classroom regularly and provided top-notch feedback which allowed me to improve my practice quickly. Perhaps the most important considerations for those people considering TNTP are time and money, and for this, TNTP is hard to beat. The program takes less than a year to complete and is as cheap is a teaching license comes (in Nashville, the cost is $5,000). This is a much more efficient use of time and money when compared to the traditional route of higher education; additionally, I do believe that TNTP teachers are better prepared for the reality of urban schools.

Cons

The major drawback of the program is that there are cuts made at two different points: after summer training and at the end of the school year. This unfortunately means that there are people who relocate for the program and do not pass. If you aren't self-motivated, or have difficulty handling strenuous situations, you will have difficulty making it through the program.

Advice to Management

Please do more to let participants know that a possibility of failing the program exists; I recall being blindsided by this fact at orientation.

2. Run, run, run!

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows

Pros

The districts they work with are high need and therefore pay a lot. If you can conform to their program enough to pass, you're almost guaranteed a job with a good starting salary.

Cons

This program believes there is one, and only one, way to be an effective teacher. They do not care about the quality of the content you teach, but only classroom management techniques. They will drill you to become a glorified babysitter for 10-12 (unpaid) hours a day. If you do not fit into their mold, you will be removed from the program. There is zero work-life balance during the 6 week summer program. They take themselves way too seriously. Asking for real advice from anyone who works for this program will only result in a scripted, rehearsed answer with no actual helpful feedback. There are a million other ways to become certified. I would not recommend this program to anyone.

Advice to Management

Lighten up.

3. It was alright

Former Employee - Program Tutor in Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Program Tutor in Merced, CA

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked hands on with many different students Built strong relationships with students and school staff Fun activities for after school programs Free food

Cons

Regulations became way too strict by end of employment Became much more strict on hiring practices

Advice to Management

This job was supposed to be for college students, but you guys stopped hiring students who couldn't be there all 5 days of the week from 2-6

5. Very disorganized

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a teacher in Chicago this year. The summer went fairly well although it was very difficult, It was much more organized than the school year. Good path to fast track your license They are no longer in Chicago so no other students and teachers have to suffer

Cons

Over the summer I almost got kicked out because I was not submitting my completed lesson plans. This is because the person that made the unit made it unrealistic to be taught in the amount of time we had with them. They also did not make a sumative assessment that matched what was being taught. I had a lot of adjusting to do in my lesson plans. Coming from a background of being an Special Education Assistant, it was hard to sit through a lot of the seminars knowing that a lot of the pedagogy would not work for the students that I had taught before. They don't seem to understand what real special education teaching is. The school year was chaotic. I was placed in a great school with plenty of help from other staff members, but Chicago teaching fellows was terrible. They would tell me the opposite of what my principle would tell me as suggestion. My principle gave me great observation ratings. however I somehow recieved the worst principle rating possible on my sumative rating making the score of CTF's observations even worse. My principle can not recall ever being asked to rate my teaching by Chicago Teaching Fellows. I will likely be left without a license since the evidence needed for the appeal will not be available until the start of the next school year. My job was more difficult than the average first year teachers. My coach came to my classroom a total of 2 times and had little feedback fro video lessons. She was barely there and even gave advice that was incorrect. All the teachers in my school think that CTF staff members are idiots, which happens to be one of the highest performing CPS schools. All the staff wish I could stay. The teachers in my school that were trained in the past said what I went through is nothing like what they had 4 years ago. The program has diteriorated

Advice to Management

Get yourself out of every city you are in. teaching for three years with teach for America does not make you "Master Teachers".

6. Good if you are dedicated and willing to not have a life

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows

Pros

opportunity to change education system for the better, rigorous training

Cons

too many hours, lots of work/life conflict. staff often unresponsive

7. Everything they told us was a lie.

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows (More than a year)

Pros

I made some great friends in my cohort. I really have nothing else good to say about Baltimore City Teacher Residency.

Cons

We were told one year to get our certification, then next year we were told it was two years. We were told there would be support, one coach never came to classrooms and then quit before the year was over. Several people were forced out by their principal, and BCTR/TNTP offered no help. BCTR/TNTP shares office space with BCPSS, so no wonder they only care about the school system and not their fellows or the students. One fellow was dating his ACE observer.

Advice to Management

Get the story straight about requirements. I feel that if you said one year, then one year was all I needed to complete. When the school administration turns a blind eye to SPED teacher (BCTR fellow) not doing their job; at least, support the fellow who is trying to get students help, instead of saying "play the game or you won't be certified."

Think twice!

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quick training program for someone who doesn't need training (read: no one) Everyone I met was doing this for "the right reasons" but you really need to think twice about whether this is the best route into teaching. Be sure to talk to folks who have done it. Do not assume you will be the exception to the rule.

Cons

Inadequate training Unresponsive to needs of trainees. Does not listen. Dishonest about attrition rates "my way or the highway" attitude Ego Homogenous group of young white women with 2-3 years teaching experience Motivated by compliance (need to sit X hours in class) rather than by providing excellent training Poor job support Geared toward elementary education only, even if they train for secondary

Advice to Management

Be more honest with fellows that a third or more will not make it through the training program and will end up jobless with nothing to show Be more responsive to requests of trainees Be more flexible with allowable teaching methods If you claim something is "evidence-based" share the evidence! Hire more experienced, more diverse teachers as coaches Get off your high horse

Demanding and a lot of work, but happy of my decision for taking this route.

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows

Pros

You can receive your Standard 1 Teaching license in less than a year. Less expensive then going back to school. I was looking on information on going back to school to become a teacher when I came across TNTP Teaching Fellows. I am glad I choice this route. Now that I have passed the program and am teaching, I may still go back to school later when I know more specifically what I want my degree to be in. Regular teacher salary and full-time in the classroom teacher while in the program. One-on-One support. For me personally, the coaches that were assigned to me were well experience in my subject matter, provided wonderful feedback and advise from classroom management to lesson delivery, was open to answer any questions I had, followed-up with me to see how things were going. Like in college when they say your adviser plays a big role on when and how you finish, I feel the same for this program. My coaches and I had really good relationships so that made getting through this challenging and demanding program a bit easier.

Cons

The 6 week pre-training is unpaid, and no guarantee that you will pass and continue in the program. If you have to relocate you are responsible for all expenses. Your in the class pre-training experience really depends on the classroom (teacher and students) you are assigned too. Seminars and training as whole cohort were not very helpful or productive most of the time. My coaches (2-3 people) working with me one-on-one were really the ones who help me and encouraged me to the end. Evaluators varied widely on scoring and there was no changing of scores allowed even if you felt you had valid reason.

Many hours of unpaid work without job security

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows

Pros

If you can pass the summer training program, you will be able to teach right away. You meet some great people in your cohort.

Cons

beware if you are relocating because you will work over 60 hours a week for 8 weeks without pay, no job guarantee, little help during training, rigorous program (people often leave or get dropped).

TNTP Teaching Fellows is a demanding and highly effective alternative teacher certification program.

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I entered this program with some prior teaching experience, but having never received any formal training and in need of a teaching certificate to move forward in my career. TNTP academy provided extremely practical, hands-on training that prepared me for success in my kindergarten classroom. The coaching and mentoring was excellent. I was given clear and specific advice and feedback and I was consistently challenged to do my best. I really enjoyed that, through my weekly classes, I became part of a network of peers. I learned so much just from talking with other teachers. I also enjoyed the emphasis on practice and self-reflection. Teachers are extremely busy and can easily become isolated, forgetting to take time out to examine what they are doing well and what they need to do differently. TNTP Academy provided the structure and support I needed to make sure that I was pushing myself, which ultimately benefited my students. I am very happy with my choice to enroll in TNTP Academy. I love my school and I love teaching kindergarten. I am really excited about this new stage of my career and I owe my success in large part to the training and support that I received through TNTP Academy.

Cons

This is a highly demanding program that requires a serious commitment. There is an expectation that teachers devote a significant amount of time to their planning, to their coursework, and to making their classroom highly effective in the first year. If you are able to embrace feedback and get comfortable with constructive criticism, then this is the program for you!

RSS Feed </> Embed