TNTP Teaching Fellows

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
3.4

CEO

A rigorous preparation for teaching

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Having just finished the program, I can say that it did an excellent job of preparing me for the reality of teaching in an urban school. I was given excellent tools by the coaches and staff in the program to ensure that my students are achieving as much as they should, which really showed up in my students' end-of-the-year test scores. Additionally, while I was brand new at teaching last year, I was consistently praised by my administration for my abilities in the classroom; while I wish I could take credit for this, it would not have been possible without the training I was given by TNTP.

TNTP emphasizes classroom management a great deal, which enables its teachers to nip behavior issues as they arise and ensure that students are on task and on track (this seems minor, but when I compare my classroom to those of TFA teachers, the difference is noticeable). Instruction in curriculum is solid as well, and I am able to create solid and thought-provoking lesson plans based upon what I was taught by TNTP staff.

In my opinion, the greatest strength of the program is its use of coaches. I had two different coaches, one for summer training and another for the school year, and each was excellent in her own regard. I was pushed to become a good teacher, and never let off the hook, which is essential as one builds habits and mindsets in the first year of teaching. Additionally, my coaches were in my classroom regularly and provided top-notch feedback which allowed me to improve my practice quickly.

Perhaps the most important considerations for those people considering TNTP are time and money, and for this, TNTP is hard to beat. The program takes less than a year to complete and is as cheap is a teaching license comes (in Nashville, the cost is $5,000). This is a much more efficient use of time and money when compared to the traditional route of higher education; additionally, I do believe that TNTP teachers are better prepared for the reality of urban schools.

Cons

The major drawback of the program is that there are cuts made at two different points: after summer training and at the end of the school year. This unfortunately means that there are people who relocate for the program and do not pass. If you aren't self-motivated, or have difficulty handling strenuous situations, you will have difficulty making it through the program.

Please do more to let participants know that a possibility of failing the program exists; I recall being blindsided by this fact at orientation.

Think twice!

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quick training program for someone who doesn't need training (read: no one)
    Everyone I met was doing this for "the right reasons" but you really need to think twice about whether this is the best route into teaching. Be sure to talk to folks who have done it. Do not assume you will be the exception to the rule.

Cons

Inadequate training
    Unresponsive to needs of trainees. Does not listen.
    Dishonest about attrition rates
    "my way or the highway" attitude
    Ego
    Homogenous group of young white women with 2-3 years teaching experience
    Motivated by compliance (need to sit X hours in class) rather than by providing excellent training
    Poor job support
    Geared toward elementary education only, even if they train for secondary

Be more honest with fellows that a third or more will not make it through the training program and will end up jobless with nothing to show
    Be more responsive to requests of trainees
    Be more flexible with allowable teaching methods
    If you claim something is "evidence-based" share the evidence!
    Hire more experienced, more diverse teachers as coaches
    Get off your high horse

Demanding and a lot of work, but happy of my decision for taking this route.

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows

Pros

You can receive your Standard 1 Teaching license in less than a year. Less expensive then going back to school. I was looking on information on going back to school to become a teacher when I came across TNTP Teaching Fellows. I am glad I choice this route. Now that I have passed the program and am teaching, I may still go back to school later when I know more specifically what I want my degree to be in.

Regular teacher salary and full-time in the classroom teacher while in the program.

One-on-One support. For me personally, the coaches that were assigned to me were well experience in my subject matter, provided wonderful feedback and advise from classroom management to lesson delivery, was open to answer any questions I had, followed-up with me to see how things were going. Like in college when they say your adviser plays a big role on when and how you finish, I feel the same for this program. My coaches and I had really good relationships so that made getting through this challenging and demanding program a bit easier.

Cons

The 6 week pre-training is unpaid, and no guarantee that you will pass and continue in the program. If you have to relocate you are responsible for all expenses. Your in the class pre-training experience really depends on the classroom (teacher and students) you are assigned too.

Seminars and training as whole cohort were not very helpful or productive most of the time. My coaches (2-3 people) working with me one-on-one were really the ones who help me and encouraged me to the end. Evaluators varied widely on scoring and there was no changing of scores allowed even if you felt you had valid reason.

One of the best choices I have ever made!

Current Employee - DC Teaching Fellow in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - DC Teaching Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Deciding to become a DC Teaching Fellow was one of the greatest decisions that I have made for my professional career. I applied to the fellows program as a career changer and appreciated that the program was welcoming of individuals with no prior teaching experience.

I would strongly recommend the program to those looking to become long-term teachers, and are seeking a rigorous program with high expectations.

The program was very fast paced, as you are trained for a short time before entering the classroom. There is a ton of information to learn and lots of practice before your first day teaching. Because teaching is very much a craft, it requires a lot of time, practice, patience, and dedication. Unlike other alternative teaching programs, DCTF allows you to gain real world experience by lead teaching during your training. You are in control of your classroom from day 1 of summer school.

I was fortunate enough to build a close personal relationship with my instructional coach which helped personally and professionally. My coach was extremely supportive during the summer and throughout the school year. We met, practiced lessons together, and she even helped me plan lessons when needed.

Again, I would highly recommend DC Teaching Fellows to all that are looking to become long-term teachers but have not gone the traditional route. The program prepares you as much as possible for entering the classroom and provides a ton of support to guide you through the program. You get what you are willing to put into the experience.

Cons

If possible, I would have liked more exposure to teaching my content area before the official school year began. During summer training, fellows teach reading, writing, and math which is beneficial but may not be applicable to all fellows. Also, there are no guarantees that you will be offered a teaching position during the school year. To some this may be off-putting however if you are willing to put in the work, the rest will fall into place. The program will not "give" you a pass to teaching, you will earn it. It is not for the faint of heart.

Many hours of unpaid work without job security

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows

Pros

If you can pass the summer training program, you will be able to teach right away. You meet some great people in your cohort.

Cons

beware if you are relocating because you will work over 60 hours a week for 8 weeks without pay, no job guarantee, little help during training, rigorous program (people often leave or get dropped).

TNTP Teaching Fellows is a demanding and highly effective alternative teacher certification program.

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I entered this program with some prior teaching experience, but having never received any formal training and in need of a teaching certificate to move forward in my career. TNTP academy provided extremely practical, hands-on training that prepared me for success in my kindergarten classroom. The coaching and mentoring was excellent. I was given clear and specific advice and feedback and I was consistently challenged to do my best. I really enjoyed that, through my weekly classes, I became part of a network of peers. I learned so much just from talking with other teachers. I also enjoyed the emphasis on practice and self-reflection. Teachers are extremely busy and can easily become isolated, forgetting to take time out to examine what they are doing well and what they need to do differently. TNTP Academy provided the structure and support I needed to make sure that I was pushing myself, which ultimately benefited my students. I am very happy with my choice to enroll in TNTP Academy. I love my school and I love teaching kindergarten. I am really excited about this new stage of my career and I owe my success in large part to the training and support that I received through TNTP Academy.

Cons

This is a highly demanding program that requires a serious commitment. There is an expectation that teachers devote a significant amount of time to their planning, to their coursework, and to making their classroom highly effective in the first year. If you are able to embrace feedback and get comfortable with constructive criticism, then this is the program for you!

The best alternative teacher certification program.

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in New Orleans, LA

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TeachNOLA (the New Orleans branch of TNTP) is the best way for people with no prior experience in education to become teachers in New Orleans. New Orleans is a demanding place to teach, but teachNOLA's summer academy is specifically tailored to address conditions specific to the city. The summer academy staff are themselves full-time teachers who back up their instruction with real world experience. The staff are attentive to fellows' needs and have a vested interest in preparing fellows (their future colleagues) as thoroughly as possible for their first year of teaching.
    During the school year, you will receive feedback on your performance from a coach, who visits several times a month. The feedback I received from my coach drastically improved my performance. All in all, teachNOLA staff are high quality, responsive, and provide support when you need it.

Cons

TeachNOLA requires a massive time commitment, and you will have to adjust your life outside of work accordingly. Summer academy is roughly 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, and you will have to set aside extra time for planning on weekends. There are also mandatory seminars held nights and weekends throughout the year. The time commitment alone is enough to make some people reconsider.

Streamline course material for fellows, especially in the first 1-2 weeks of training. Provide more support for lesson planning/curriculum design.

Loved teachNOLA

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick path to license, and left me feeling really prepared after only 6 weeks! Lots of support throughout the first year of teaching as well. Great and helpful staff! Intense but really helpful training program, with lots of opportunities to practice.

Cons

Work-life balance is tough, especially during the 6-week summer institute. However, it does get easier during the first year of teaching, and the evening classes are very manageable.

More help finding a school placement would be great!

Big time commitment but worth it!

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff is very supportive. Coaches come into your classroom pretty frequently and give you very applicable advice. Even if your coach does not come in often they are easily reached by email to help with lesson plans or bounce classroom ideas around. At the end of the program I was nervous that I was not going to pass so I emailed the director and she got back to me right away reassuring me that everything was going to be ok. She even offered to talk with me on the phone which I really appreciated. Another pro to this program is you get to choose where you work. Yeah it is hard and stressful to apply to teaching jobs but at least you have a say in what grade level and area you teach in.

During seminars the teachers and other fellows give you a lot of great resources. I would definitely recommend this program if you are seriously interested in teaching. You need to be committed to teaching and kiddos though if you are going to enjoy this program.

Cons

It is definitely a time commitment but when you look at the alternative (going back to school) it is much less than that commitment. The ACE scale is difficult and the observations are stressful.

Good path to teaching license

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my experience with the Chicago Teaching Fellows. I was a career changer and wanted an alternative to going to back to school. I knew I wanted to teach special education, and I liked that CTF allowed me to jump right into a full time teaching job at CPS. Plus, unlike other programs, I was an actual CPS employee from the start (not an employee of the certification program). The school year program is excellent. It is organized and well thought out. I was impressed with the quality of the coaching during the school year. My coach was always there for me if I needed help, and was a fantastic resource. That said, you will need to take control of your own development as a teacher. If you are someone who is willing to put it some of the legwork yourself (they won't spoon feed you), this a great opportunity. Besides, teaching is a lot of figuring it out for yourself- I learned so much by hitting the ground running. CTF was certainly there to help me if I needed it. I'm so glad I did the program, and I would choose it again in a heart beat.

Cons

The summer program (pre-service training) was often very frustrating. You will work with season/summer staff for the most part (not the regular staff). For example, my summer coach was not very helpful to me and didn't seem to understand the program herself. Summer is stressful because your performance ultimately decides whether you will continue for the rest of the year, and be allowed to teach. Summer felt very disorganized -- BUT, get through the summer (don't let it discourage you!) and the school year program is a night and day difference. The full time/ school year staff is much better and incredibly helpful, and the school year program was much more organized. You will be happy you stuck with it! Plus, it sounds like summer training will be structured differently this year, so hopefully it will be a much better experience.

The first month or so of the program felt rocky. Things seemed very unorganized and the summer staff either did not seem to be well trained or did not have their hearts in it. Maybe screen season employees better? If the summer program could match the quality of the school year program, it would be all around perfect!

TNTP Teaching Fellows Photos

Congratulations to our 2014 Teaching Fellows!

+ Add Photo