TOKYOPOP

Add Photos

Stu Levy

Summer intern

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGave me great opportunity to learn forecasting and budgeting (in 2001 intern)

ConsNone to think of from the internship program

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to think of from the internship program

Great co-workers. Some opportunities for the lucky and/or ambitious.

Designer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun product and even better co-workers.

ConsWork there was subject to small or nonexistent budgets. Even worse after 2011.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Upper management had their own backs, but mid-level and rest of the staff made it worthwhile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTalented and creative people to work with
    Opportunities to do as much as you want
    Lots to learn about the publishing business

ConsUpper management seems to be very apart from the rest of staff and CEO especially lacks respect for staffer's ideas and does not listen so well.
    Company business diminishing, low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's not much they can do now given the state of the company (poorly) but I guess they should have listened to their employees earlier.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company to work for in good times, tough in the tough times.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosflexibility, casual atmosphere, ability to meet a lot of talented people

Conslow recognition / appreciation, low salary, unnecessarily long hours

Lots of experience gained, but you pay for it. Literally.

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsLocation - you're right across the street from LACMA.
    You are doing legitimate work.
    There are many opportunities to network outside of the company.

ConsThey use interns to replace full-time paid employees and you must register to receive college credit in order to intern there.
    They overwork you to the point where they expect the company to come before school, you often have to seek guidance.
    There is a power struggle between the CEO, COO and President of the company and it causes a lot of tension in the workplace.
    While your internship is in a specific department, you shouldn't be surprised if you get pulled to do something else (i.e. going from marketing to graphic design).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior management needs to put their egos aside and step back, they're old dogs not willing to adapt. No trust is given to anyone younger - their target demographic. Nobody wants to see the company go down and it seems the people who have the ability to bring TP back from the dead are getting cut one by one.

Overworked, almost no chance of a full-time job

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou can make some good connections to help you in the future, although with so many interns the full-time employees often don't pay attention to you.
    Experience in the publishing industry.
    It's a fun environment. I mean, you're working at a manga publishing company.

ConsSince the company basically hires lots of interns to avoid paying for real employees, you have no chance of lining up a job right after your internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't insult workers that try to give you feedback, because it means they won't give you feedback ever again.

My experience as an intern...

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou get to sit in alot of the big meetings and get to learn about what's really going on in the world of publishing. You also get to do (or I did at least) alot of different varieties of REAL work instead of grabbing coffee or doing chores all day. I didn't have to do much office work, I designed and did real work they actually used which was really satisfying.

ConsIt felt like sometimes they were really looking for interns to use as a free labor (as in there aren't enough people working in the place) Alot of people left while I was there so that's a bit questionable as well...

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps TP shouldn't rush into making into the movie business just yet... I think it'll be safer to do it the other way around, like Twilight. I also agree Stu shouldn't be in charge of everything, he makes some terrible decisions...

Wanted: New CEO

Designer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe location on the 20th floor provide spectacular vistas of Los Angeles.

ConsThe CEO/CCO thinks he is an expert in everything and therefore trusts no one to do what needs to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace Stu. He's killing the company. It has outgrown him. Time to step aside.

Worked for TOKYOPOP? Contribute to the Community!