TOLMAR Reviews

Good team, poor leadership

Current Employee - Chemist in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Chemist in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at TOLMAR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get experience, company seems to have a good future.

Cons

Poor oganization leadership. Too many ra ra speaches by CEO, and no spread of profits to employees.

Profit sharing would boost the moral and effort of employees. Listen to your staff and utilize the suggestions of the people that are in the trenches. We can only hear "we are investing all our profits in R&D" for so long.

Fast paced environment

Current Employee - QC Analyst II in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - QC Analyst II in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at TOLMAR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits provided are pretty good, and the health insurance is very good. The company is growing exponentially and offers a lot of job security. It is located in a wonderful area of Northern Colorado

Cons

Even though it is fast-paced it is disorganized. Sample turn around in the lab is days instead of weeks. There is no advanced planning to make sure everything is available to produce a product or switch to a different product. Everything is needed right now and it makes for a stressful situation. No one is able to pre-plan their work day because the schedule changes at least daily.

The company is growing so fast that it can't keep up. All focus is on new product development and only realizing too late there is not enough manufacturing, warehouse, office, or laboratory space. All profits go back into the company in the form of research and development. Tolmar doesn't invest in its employees either in leadership or in compensation. As a result there is a ridiculous turn-over rate.

If you make sure your employees are happy and appreciated they will be more productive, even through the hard times. As it stands it feels like the company only cares about the next big drug and not investing in their employees. Finding the right people for the job, better organization and training, more organization in manufacturing, and so much more people in all departments would stay. The consideration to do profit sharing of some sort or annual bonuses would help. And that type of compensation isn't just about the money. It gives employees a sense of ownership in their jobs and company.

"Plan" is not a four-letter word. Trust employees' expertise.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at TOLMAR full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good insurance benefits not yet too-affected by Obamacare.
    Flexible work schedules.
    Some coworkers are real gems.

Cons

Planning is not part of the culture. Tolmar seems to value rework over 'right the first time' in order to say some deadline was met. I've never yet been given annual goals that are translated to actionable department tasks/initiatives.

Career path - there really isn't any. Promotions seemed to be based on who you know or time in the saddle rather than on skill, accomplishments, or responsibilities taken on and mastered - let alone whether any goals are met and/or exceeded (see Planning above).

Trust & respect - employees' experience and expertise is frequently ignored on the basis of "that's not how it works at Tolmar". Proposals get no traction or even discussion unless they originate with upper management or long-time employees. Management tends to be entirely reactive - suddenly micromanaging their reports' work when some squeaky wheel gets loud enough rather than proactively planning and supporting goals they set for their reports.

Decision making power in the wrong place: Finance wields disproportionate approval power over spending - usually lacking the knowledge to understand why people request the budgets they propose. QA makes facility design engineering decisions and determines the number of physical servers for software should be purchased. - instead of relying on real A&E or IT expertise.

Tolmar is no longer a small company. You need to stop thinking upper management can and should make or approve every last decision for each project. No one man is invested with all knowledge and expertise - trust the expertise of your employees or hire folks you can trust to make decisions. Set actionable goals around efficiency and cost savings and let your reports be creative and feel like they've got buy-in.

Stop talking about 'reinvesting all profit in R&D' and show your employees you value them enough to reward them financially and with giving them appropriate decision-making and spending discretion. You'd be surprised how much morale, loyalty, and employee retention increase when you demonstrate respect by treating people like they're worth their work and expertise.

quality control analyst I

Former Employee - Quality Control Analyst I in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Quality Control Analyst I in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at TOLMAR full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment with great benefits, tuition reimbursement, great support staff, with opportunity for advancement and mentor-ships. The company listens to their employees and often celebrates accomplishments.

Cons

Training can be tedious. Getting in touch with HR was also quite difficult. Is salary based vs hourly, usually only working 40 hours weekly, but can increase based on FDA review or push to meet customer demands. Also I believe the company has been sold several times, not confident about the financial stability of the company.

Current Employee

Current Employee - Packaging Tech I in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Packaging Tech I in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at TOLMAR full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stable once hired on full time and it pays the bills.

Cons

As some other have said it is still a disorganized mess. If you anger the wrong people you will be out the door as quick as you stepped in. They say there is no "Seniority" throughout the shifts which is total crap.

Bring in some Supervisors for the shifts that aren't bullies and don't pick favorites.

Corruption in the workplace

I worked at TOLMAR full-time

Pros

Good benefits, easy to get a job but hard to keep it if the wrong people don't like you

Cons

Underpaid, high turn over rate, deceitful staff, threatening, corrupt, upper management has favorites, money not invested wisely, old equipment, hostile work environment where no one listens or cares, HR is not doing their job, fear of retaliation is a given

Re-evaluate who you have put in positions of authority, talk to your employees, not just supervisors who play cover up ALL the time. $ is not the bottom line, putting out a safe, quality product is.. what happened to that?

Disorganized Mess

Current Employee - QC Analyst in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - QC Analyst in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at TOLMAR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow analyst are a hard working and conscientious group. Located in Ft Collins which is a beautiful city.

Cons

Mandatory unpaid overtime, huge department turnover, very disorganized, salaries are some of the lowest in the industry, not enough desk and bench space for all of the analyst in QC, not enough HPLC instruments and older models used 24 hours a day so many problems with instrumentation

Allow employees to utilize the "open door" policy without repercussions

Atrix Laboratories

I worked at TOLMAR full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was able to pay my bills.

Cons

threatening, bullying, did I say threatening?

Packaging Engineer

Current Employee - Packaging Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Packaging Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at TOLMAR full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are always looking for a packaging engineer for like the last 4 years

Cons

They won't hire me because they say I don't have enough Medical experience

Why doesn't anyone stay there? Why are you always looking for a Packaging Engineer but don't hire anyone, its very annoying, you should get over yourselves. Every company I have worked for thought they were special and needed special people...its never the case.