TOMS Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Jim Alling

Pros
  • The office is casual - you'll find some dogs around the office and fun happy hours (in 8 reviews)

• After your first year you participate in a Shoe Giving Trip (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership team that is lacking a strong vision from the very top of the house (in 4 reviews)

• Most of the management and executive team lack a lot of experience (in 3 reviews)

1. Caring Company

Former Employee - Customer Service in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company really cares about their great cause. They also care a lot about their employees and what they have to say. There is a lot of room to move up in company as well.

Cons

If you start off in customer service it may get a little frustrating. Some customers are very angry and demanding. But then again, thats the case with most retail jobs. I will say that TOMS works with you to keep the customer happy though.

2. Fantastic

I have been working at TOMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity, great benefits, friendly group of coworkers, all while helping put shoes on kids.

Cons

Hard to think of any

3. A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is filled with smart, dedicated, and nice people. They care about the cause of the company, and they care about fellow employees.

Cons

It is hard to come up with "cons" when I have worked at so many bad places, but I guess that if you don't like dogs you will not enjoy the dog friendly workplace.

Best work experience I've had in my career

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company runs at full speed so there is always something to do. If you aren't busy, it's because you aren't trying. Growth opportunity is available for those who demonstrate the drive, resourcefulness, maturity and dedication to learn. Company culture and values are aligned with what you'd expect from TOMS. Like any company, there are opportunities areas that can be addressed, but I've worked in other organizations with more history and longevity that isn't near the maturity level that TOMS is at right now. I can't think of any company that believes in its mission as much as this company, where it sends its employees on a week long life changing Giving trip putting shoes on kids. Other perks at TOMS include the ability to bring your dog to work, happy hour every other week, local volunteer opportunities, annual TOMS company getaway and an opportunity to work with a great bunch co-ambassadors (co-workers).

Cons

As stated above, there are opportunity areas that should be addressed. Consolidating company initiatives/projects to focus on work that will help sustain long term growth. Better company recognition system for employees' accomplishments. Also since there is still a lot of process building happening throughout the organization, people interested in working at TOMS should be prepared to build the sandbox instead of just playing in it. Not really a con of the company, just realistically where the company is in it's maturity.

Advice to Management

Before hiring externally, look internally to fill opportunities. Providing constant feedback to team members and occasionally rallying/encouraging them would benefit greatly.

6. Dynamic, creative, fast-paced environment

I have been working at TOMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TOMS is very open to cross-departmental collaboration and its employees truly feel a sense of connection and friendliness towards each other. It's a welcoming, innovative, and constantly evolving place to work. From the moment you walk in the door, people are excited to share the TOMS story and eager to bring you into their world.

Cons

Things around HQ move quickly- employees have to always be on their toes. It's definitely never boring.

7. artist for decorating TOMS shoes at Nordstrom

Former Employee - Artist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in San Jose, CA

I worked at TOMS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun short-time work. All negotiations via email. Kids loved my hand-painted TOMS very much! I love the fact that some money from these shoes go to poor kids in Africa.

Cons

seems none, everything is organized well

8. Working for TOMS

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

-Wonderful people -Your work is helping others -Great company values -Creative workspace -Relaxed environment -Transparency

Cons

-Could work on senior leadership team and the direction others are given

One of the best companies that is true to their mission and change millions of lives.

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a welcoming environment. They don't discriminate against sexual orientation, race, or religion. They truly value you as a human being and treat you as such instead of a number. They send you on an all expense paid trip to a third world country to give shoes to those in need. They change peoples lives and touch hearts. They bring hope to our planet.

Cons

The only thing I would say is that I wish they had another location close by in Orwnge county that I could work for.

Advice to Management

Periodically, reach out to every individual, not just the leads, and seek opportunities of growth or advice.

TOMS - It's just the beginning!

I have been working at TOMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been an amazing ride ever since the first day I stepped into HQ. From an almost week-long orientation process where we are immersed in the TOMS culture, to the giving trips where we get to complete the full circle in TOMS' "One for One," it is a completely unique and gratifying experience that very few get to experience. While it is true that employees are treated to all-you-can-drink latte's, on-campus happy hours, yearly company retreats, and amazing benefits, we are all expected to perform and place it all on the line day after day. TOMS is still very much a movement and like any ripple in the water, the movement is continuing to grow. My coworker and I ask each other all the time if we've ever had those days where we really don't want to show up to work. I'll write back here once the answer ever becomes 'Yes.'

Cons

TOMS is a dichotomy of a laid back culture within a fast paced work environment. Those unequippped to deal with this fusion could easily find themselves losing their footing very quickly. The management staff is always willing to help those that find themselves on this track, it's just a matter of asking!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to remember that we are transforming the way businesses are run, everyday decisions are made, and lives are changed.

TOMS is a great place to work. I know from experience.

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

TOMS employees are welcoming, supportive, and friendly. TOMS compensation, benefits, and HR policies are generous. The TOMS work environment is open, fun, and conducive to creative work. Perks like free coffee bar, happy hour Fridays, and free shoes are nice, but what makes TOMS a special place to work? Even with the enormous success of the last several years, and the growth, TOMS is still small enough that my individual impact is felt every day, hard work is noticed and appreciated, and failures too. This is not a company for people who want to hide and just come to a job. When I think about how and where I want to spend most of my waking hours, I want to work hard, feel valued, be compensated, and grow as a person and professional. TOMS is an exceptional place to have all of those things. TOMS has added management and structure, but the organization is still very flat. There is a small group of executive level managers and the CEO. There are some additional levels of management but the titles don't really drive the way people interact. I have worked in organizations where it seemed almost everybody was some type of manager from AVP (Associate VP), VP, SVP (senior VP), EVP (Executive VP), SEVP (Senior Executive VP) (seriously). How you were treated in those companies and your ability to get anything done depended on which of those letters followed your name. Some people prefer the structure and predictability of these organizations, where the career ladder is a clear path from the bottom to the top and if you're not interested in climbing that ladder, you can hide and put in a minimal effort. It won't really put your job or the organization at risk. Some of the negative reviewers talk about a company that they don't recognize anymore. They reminisce about a better time, and wish that TOMS was still the scrappy club of interns working out of a small warehouse. Fortunately for millions of people on the receiving end of TOMS generous giving, TOMS survived and has grown beyond it's start-up days. Unfortunately for some early team members, that growth brought structural change and organizational rigor that is not for them. If you want the freedom and craziness of a start-up, with hungry entrepreneurs working out of an apartment, then TOMS might feel too structured. If you prefer the structure and predictability of a large company, TOMS may feel too laid back, and maybe even chaotic. Many of the early employees deserve credit for their part in launching something truly special. However, TOMS can't remain a cool start-up forever. Some of the management is no-nonsense, some of the employees have egos, and some days it feels like a job. But, it's almost always fun and almost always rewarding. I would never want to go back to my old employers, and they will have to drag me kicking and screaming out of here.

Cons

Lunch options are scarce around the new headquarters, but this should be solved in the next year with some development happening in the neighborhood (Playa Vista). Food trucks are plentiful, but pricey.

Advice to Management

Stay laser focused on the model (One for One) and the giving mission, and don't forget fun along the way. If TOMS loses sight of it's attitude and priorities, it will grow into another retail brand. TOMS is special, and it needs to remain unique.

RSS Feed </> Embed