TOMS Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.9

Blake Mycoskie

Former TOMS Intern

I have been working at TOMS as a contractor

Pros

TOMS is a company where the workforce and culture is contagious. The company culture is filled with hard working individuals who strive to meet the company goals with the vision to change lives. As a former intern, we were shown the in's and out's of how TOMS was established as well as how the business is run on a daily basis. We were trained with great managers, Chief Officers and mentors who instilled in us the ability to work hard and love well - both qualities that TOMS values. I would highly recommend this intern program to anyone who is passionate about learning about business and changing lives.

Cons

The office culture is very laid back which makes it stand out from other companies. There can be a lack of organization throughout each department if you are not on top of your daily goals and work tasks.

Horrible hiring practice

I have been working at TOMS

Pros

Nothing good to write about this company,unless you like free coffee

Cons

Was called to start Monday morning at 9am, met with program manager who stated the dept wasn't ready for me but had me come in to do paperwork and meet the team. Spent 45 min with the program manager and 5 min with the lead of dept who chose to do an impromptu interview. I was told I would hear something about what time I should be back the next day. Received call Monday evening and was told because I didn't have direct experience with their system that I didn't need to come back, they didn't have time to train someone new because they were too busy. This company needs to get their hiring practices together. I guess if your are a business professional you need not apply to work for this company, if you are hippy driven it's a great place to work.

Departments need to get their act together and communicate with each other. Don't rush to have someone make arrangements in two days to start on a Monday when they aren't even going to have you come back

TOMS is a great place to work. I know from experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

TOMS employees are welcoming, supportive, and friendly. TOMS compensation, benefits, and HR policies are generous. The TOMS work environment is open, fun, and conducive to creative work. Perks like free coffee bar, happy hour Fridays, and free shoes are nice, but what makes TOMS a special place to work?

Even with the enormous success of the last several years, and the growth, TOMS is still small enough that my individual impact is felt every day, hard work is noticed and appreciated, and failures too. This is not a company for people who want to hide and just come to a job.

When I think about how and where I want to spend most of my waking hours, I want to work hard, feel valued, be compensated, and grow as a person and professional. TOMS is an exceptional place to have all of those things.

TOMS has added management and structure, but the organization is still very flat. There is a small group of executive level managers and the CEO. There are some additional levels of management but the titles don't really drive the way people interact. I have worked in organizations where it seemed almost everybody was some type of manager from AVP (Associate VP), VP, SVP (senior VP), EVP (Executive VP), SEVP (Senior Executive VP) (seriously). How you were treated in those companies and your ability to get anything done depended on which of those letters followed your name.

Some people prefer the structure and predictability of these organizations, where the career ladder is a clear path from the bottom to the top and if you're not interested in climbing that ladder, you can hide and put in a minimal effort. It won't really put your job or the organization at risk.

Some of the negative reviewers talk about a company that they don't recognize anymore. They reminisce about a better time, and wish that TOMS was still the scrappy club of interns working out of a small warehouse. Fortunately for millions of people on the receiving end of TOMS generous giving, TOMS survived and has grown beyond it's start-up days. Unfortunately for some early team members, that growth brought structural change and organizational rigor that is not for them.

If you want the freedom and craziness of a start-up, with hungry entrepreneurs working out of an apartment, then TOMS might feel too structured. If you prefer the structure and predictability of a large company, TOMS may feel too laid back, and maybe even chaotic.

Many of the early employees deserve credit for their part in launching something truly special. However, TOMS can't remain a cool start-up forever. Some of the management is no-nonsense, some of the employees have egos, and some days it feels like a job. But, it's almost always fun and almost always rewarding. I would never want to go back to my old employers, and they will have to drag me kicking and screaming out of here.

Cons

Lunch options are scarce around the new headquarters, but this should be solved in the next year with some development happening in the neighborhood (Playa Vista). Food trucks are plentiful, but pricey.

Stay laser focused on the model (One for One) and the giving mission, and don't forget fun along the way. If TOMS loses sight of it's attitude and priorities, it will grow into another retail brand. TOMS is special, and it needs to remain unique.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TOMS - It's just the beginning!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time for less than a year

Pros

It has been an amazing ride ever since the first day I stepped into HQ.
    From an almost week-long orientation process where we are immersed in the TOMS culture, to the giving trips where we get to complete the full circle in TOMS' "One for One," it is a completely unique and gratifying experience that very few get to experience. While it is true that employees are treated to all-you-can-drink latte's, on-campus happy hours, yearly company retreats, and amazing benefits, we are all expected to perform and place it all on the line day after day.

TOMS is still very much a movement and like any ripple in the water, the movement is continuing to grow. My coworker and I ask each other all the time if we've ever had those days where we really don't want to show up to work. I'll write back here once the answer ever becomes 'Yes.'

Cons

TOMS is a dichotomy of a laid back culture within a fast paced work environment. Those unequippped to deal with this fusion could easily find themselves losing their footing very quickly. The management staff is always willing to help those that find themselves on this track, it's just a matter of asking!

Keep up the good work and continue to remember that we are transforming the way businesses are run, everyday decisions are made, and lives are changed.

Bad Management

I worked at TOMS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun and comfortable workplace. The building is a newly renovated, open space warehouse with bunch of windows and two slides! It has modern décor, outdoor workspace and coffee bar. It's not unusual for employees stop by the lobby and hang out for a bit during work . The employees are friendly, young and free spirited people from all around the country (or the world). Company throws happy hour every Fridays and company events 3 to 4 times per year. Everyone at TOMS works for the same purpose: growing the company and help more children in need. Working at TOMS gives a polish image for "working for a cause"

Cons

A common practice at TOMS is for new managers to push out existing workers and build out a new team. Like other reviews have stated, the new group of managers are poor culture fit at TOMS. Individually, these managers are pretty useless and insecure. They establish relevance by pushing out old employees and gather support by hiring new ones. This is a top-down approach that was executed at the highest level at TOMS. When the President was hired two years ago, he immediately hired a team of C-Level executives to report to him. Then each of these execs hired their own sets of VPs and then Directors and so forth. None of these positions were promoted from within TOMS.

This self-serving management tarnished the managers/employees relationship beyond the professional level. As a result, gossip and clashes were formed and company became divided. It deteriorated workers efficiency, core value and morale, which eventually impacted sales. I don't think TOMS can turn this around.

Sure these things happen in all companies. But TOMS should have been the exception because it was built on employees values and working together for a cause. However, the employees who help built TOMS are all gone because of poor management. The real losers are the children/adults in need of TOMS giving shoes and eye treatments. At this rate, TOMS won't be able to provide to anyone but the greedy managers.

None

Abusive relationship

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

The whole thing about giving, one for one? Yeah, that's real. The giving and logistics teams know their stuff, and are truly dedicated to what they do. Employees get to go in the field to witness giving firsthand, and it's amazing. The benefits are good, and they work hard to create the impression that you are valued in broad ways, just enough to make you want to stay even if on a long-term basis you might feel sort of worthless. Work/life balance is good.

Cons

For those outside of the aforementioned departments, it's become a toxic, back-stabbing place to work. You never know who's lying to you or when you'll be out of favor and for what reason. As an employee who was there in the warehouse when it was really inspiring and special, it's been heartbreaking to watch poisonous people get hired in senior positions who feign empathy but embrace greed and political games. So sad - it had the potential to continue to be an inspiring and special place, but poor hiring decisions and out-of-control growth into new product and geographic markets seem to just be motivated by greed instead of making any real global change.

It's hard to give advice to people whose motivations I don't understand, and who don't share my values, like caring and listening to the people they are supposed to support.

Execs Ruined Everything

Former Employee - Creative
    Former Employee - Creative

I worked at TOMS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- This is a very friendly environment with young, spirited people
    - Dog-friendly!
    - Work-Life balance is great
    - Nice office with lots of open workspaces and a great lunch area

Cons

I started at TOMS when the office was in a warehouse in Santa Monica, it was a cramped space without any ventilation, but it was awesome. Back then, everyone had a voice, people were willing to collaborate and it truly had a "we're in this together" vibe to it.

But over the years, as TOMS became bigger and started selling more, the company started hiring more executive level people that completely changed the culture. What was once an ego-less company became filled with giant egos of executives all trying to push their own agendas, hiring their own people and demanding their own private offices even when TOMS never had any before - TOMS founder Blake Mycoskie used to sit out in the open with all the regular people.

Now, there's an HR department that doesn't care about you - they're all gunning for promotions and don't want to speak up for the employees. There are layers and layers of new managers and execs that care more about kissing up to each other than their employees' ideas and growth. And worst of all, it's become a company that lost its identity: No longer is it about making a difference, it's about making sales so the executives can get their giant built-in bonuses.

TOMS used to do cool things to inspire, but now all the efforts are towards sales promotions under the "get $5 off towards changing a child's life" guise, making new products to in industries they're completely unfamiliar with, and aggressive expansion into foreign markets.

Lose all the executives with their own agendas - not only did TOMS culture suffer, but so did the profitability AFTER all these people were brought on board.

Company with big problems

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

What remains are a small group of people trying to make a difference in the world. But they are so outnumbered by the ones there only for a paycheck that it's a downhill battle.

Cons

Two kinds of people work at TOMS. They are either overqualified and never asked for their input even if they try to contribute or they are under qualified and promoted to manage a project. I agree with an earlier poster. Once someone thinks they have Blake's ear they lose all of their integrity trying to stay in his favor. In other words their true colors are revealed quickly. Blake can not be expected to manage the leadership team like a daycare. They were hired to run a company. They did anything but that when I was there. They were constantly fighting for his attention or a pat on the head. At one time the TOMS leadership team was made up of smart, respectful, kind, funny compassionate people who wanted to change the lives of children. Then they were slowly pushed out of the company and what remains are a bunch of cut throat self centered ( me me me people) who are looking out only for themselves. They aren't even loyal to their teams.

The company is now up for sale. That may be a good thing because it is poorly run. The current leadership team will get a golden parachute and walk away with heavy pockets of gold. It will just be a line on their resume someday. For those of us who took pay cuts to help build a scrappy young company into a global movement because we wanted to make a difference in the world it will be so much more. We will remember the respect we showed each other and the constant gratitude. The fun we had and the friendships we made. We will move onto others companies but our hearts will always be at TOMS. The way TOMS was not what the current leadership ran into the ground.

A Real Shame

I have been working at TOMS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Nice, office with a few perks like free coffee, exercise classes and a lovely outdoor area. Oh and a ping-pong table, because every "hip" company comes equipped with one of those.
    - A few handfuls of truly decent people who care about their co-workers on a personal and professional level
    - Clean bathrooms

Cons

What started out as a great place to work, is now a shell of its former self. The corporate culture, which used to be one of genuine community and support, has become a game of constant power grabbing amongst upper-management. This is clearly the result of the sycophantic nature of a business in which there is truly only one person who can actually call the shots because they own the company. Every six months there seems to be a new person who won the coveted position of "Having Blake's Ear". Once a Director or VP achieves this goal, you begin to see that person's true nature shine through and most of the time it isn't pretty. Instead of being concerned with the morale and growth of their team, their focus typically shifts entirely to furthering their own careers and gaining more power via their access to Blake.

Obviously this problem is not endemic to TOMS and can be found at many companies. The difference though is that TOMS masquerades as a magical, loving place to work where each employee is part of "a family". Well, if a constant lack of respect, empty promises and cruel gossip are considered acceptable habits of a family, I'd prefer to be an orphan. And apparently I am not the only one who agree with this sentiment seeing that the place has lost well over 80 employees since the beginning of 2014 (with many others currently searching for employment elsewhere). Many leaving without having another job to go to. Most having been with the company for many years.

It is a real shame to watch something that you believed in fall apart due to a small group of self-serving, under-qualified executives who lack the empathy, knowledge and backbone to lead their departments. Just another promising brand that is dying on the wine.

I don't believe that there is currently anyone in management that can or who cares to change the state of the internal culture unfortunately.

But if there is, it would probably be a good idea to show the remaining employees that you mean what you say and say what you mean. That requires making tough decisions, taking action and having some integrity. Let's hope someone steps up to the plate before it is too late.

A company that is spiraling out of control

I worked at TOMS full-time

Pros

Some great people work here and there's free coffee in the morning. I guess the slides are fun?

Cons

Most of the management and executive team lack a lot of experience. There are people on the executive team who come from every background but footwear or anything else relevant to what TOMS does and the departments they run. HR is totally incompetent and put up a facade of caring about everyone in the company. Truth of the matter is that the only team HR cares about in that building is their own.

They preach work/life balance by hosting happy hours and offsite company retreats. Unfortunately, a lot of people are over worked and the last thing they want to do on a Friday is attend a happy hour when they could go and work from home.

There are individuals there who are incredible in everything they do but are under appreciated, under utilized, and glanced over. It was frustrating to see them passed over for any sort of recognition, no matter how much effort HR feigned to put in to "employee recognition" programs. The interns are treated better than their employees.

A lot of really amazing and talented individuals have left the company or are actively job hunting.

None. Replace the management team.

Worked for TOMS? Contribute to the Community!