TOTO USA Reviews

Reset
2.4
Daijiro Nogata

1. Good company

I worked at TOTO USA (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company. Good benefits including 100% paid maternity leave.

Cons

Not much room for upward movement.

Do your homework.....

Former Employee - Engineering
    Former Employee - Engineering

I worked at TOTO USA

Pros

My reason for writing this review is not to simply trash the company (there is enough of that below). I’m writing this to help individuals make an informed decision as to whether or not the company would be right for them based on experiences I had working there. If you are interviewing and serious about working for the company I highly recommend you acquaint yourself with the Japanese culture. I cannot stress this enough. I went to work for the company relatively ignorant to their culture and ways of doing business. You owe it to yourself to perform complete due diligence. After having many conversations with individuals about the topic, the consensus is that the culture leans more towards an “old school” Japanese approach, this being the first and only Japanese company I have or will ever work for, I cannot say this with certainty however reviews below corroborate this. There are a number of very good people who work and have worked for the company. Some personalities tend to fare better in the organization. From what I witnessed, strong willed and driven individuals tend to get burned out and leave. If you do your homework as suggested above you will find the culture does not appreciate and or accept confrontation or in many circumstances a differing opinion. This varies from department to department. Some of the more successful people in the organization are competent, intelligent yet content to be more of a cog than a leader. Individual thought and achievement is not really embraced or respected. This as well transcends down to disagreements as well with the consensus….i.e..if you feel strongly about an issue that goes “against the grain”…best to keep it to yourself. The long-and-short of this is; do your homework and make an educated decision. If you get an interview ask pertinent questions if you feel anything I mention above would be an issue for you personally. Like I said earlier it is a good company…but not for everyone.

Cons

American culture plays "second fiddle" to Japanese culture.

Advice to Management

Get a better understanding of American culture.

3. Warehousing Opportunities

Current Employee - Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TOTO USA

Pros

Great Benefits package after probationary period.

Cons

Gets a hot in the summer

Working at TOTO USA

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOTO USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is stable and has some good technology and well established products. Management is based in Japan and US management is based in Atlanta, GA.

Cons

Company is 98 years old and their Japan management is relatively "old school" and provincial.
    US management hires survive by being compliant "yes men".
    Japanese management has trouble training or understanding US employees and culture.
    Statistically, they typically rate US employee factory performance as inferior to Asian facilities.

Advice to Management

Train to broaden your base of qualified international managers.
    The depth and culture of your current management team is far too limited and provincial.
    To become "international" TOTO must eventually enter the European market.

6. security engineer

I have been working at TOTO USA

Pros

work life benefits technical challenge good life in work place

Cons

work life benefits technical challenge good life in work place

7. Place is like a bad Craig's List ad!

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Morrow, GA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Morrow, GA

I have been working at TOTO USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. If you are looking at this company don't! It's a toxic environment run by shady Americans and clueless Japanese here on a three year vacation. They took advantage of the downturn some years back and fired a number of senior and junior people. Business was good but they used the downturn as a smoke screen to get rid of older people and potential insurance risks (no really!). There are still some decent people at TOTO but they are overshadowed by one American at the top who gives squat about morale in the plant. Compensation is decent, even better if in office areas, bonus was laughable: I could fill my gas tank up with what they offered. I even offered it to my manager to keep one year it was such a joke.

Cons

No chance for advancement and no career advancement. So many talented people have left this place and they don't care. Everything is centered on Sales and no one cares about anything else. Products from years ago are still what they push today. All design is done in Japan with little to no input Stateside. There is no development of employees and no long term outlook. No internal promotions or anything like that. Very stressful environment bombarded by the fact HR group doesn't do anything, doesn't care or is clueless. Think long term they'll close shop and move to Mexico for even cheaper labor. Leadership is nonexistent: one American dude at top calls all shots while Japanese hang out. No perks, maybe a free toilet here or there from five years ago. Online retailers sell same products for less than employee discount.

Advice to Management

Your company is ripe for a union!

Warning: very low glass ceiling

I have been working at TOTO USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are generally great coworkers who want the best for the company. They have a fairly good benefits and insurance package. If in Sales there are travel opportunities available to attend tradeshows.

Cons

Unfortunately upper management is a boys club and assertive women are deemed pushy or bossy when voicing opinions. Of which they are rarely weighed evenly or given proper consideration.

Advice to Management

There are plenty of valuable and capable women in the company who have been looked over for advancement. Start looking and you'll grow the company even more to not only meet but exceed company goals.

9. Good company with a lot of potential

Current Employee - Manager in Morrow, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Morrow, GA

I have been working at TOTO USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, the work is challenging, opportunity to make a difference

Cons

Need to establish standards and processes for office staff. Plant folks have strict guidelines and training but the office staff are working without fully understanding the reason behind what they are doing

Advice to Management

Set standards and processes so everyone understands their jobs better

Not Employee Friendly Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrow, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrow, GA

I worked at TOTO USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting and good quality products

Cons

Senior executives are rotated out from parent company in Japan. Most of them cannot speak English. Not much attention or interest from senior executives is given to improving the work environment for employees. Most of the executives from Japan tend to be micro-managers which make it a stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

Let the American executives manage the business in USA. When employees feel that their employer cares about them, employees tend to be more productive.

11. great job overall with great benefits

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TOTO USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good projects, nice people and good salaries

Cons

no training
    career path is not clear

RSS Feed </> Embed