TPG Direct Reviews

Reset
3.2
TPG Direct CEO Steve R. Longley
Steve R. Longley

A great place to grow your career. Fun work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

•Great opportunity to learn from some of the top talent in the industry
    •Work environment has a heavy emphasis on team work and collaboration
    •Fun place to come to work everyday
    •Long lasting client relationships, many accounts have been around 10+ years

Cons

•Work environment that often includes night/weekend work (not very different from any other agency)

Advice to Management

•Focus on career development for current employees. You have a great team in place and it is crucial you invest in them.

A great place to work. A fun & fast-paced environment with top-notch employees who are creative, talented & experienced.

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At TPG Direct, employees have the ability to grow their career, interact directly with clients and gain experience they would never get at other marketing agencies. Employees get to work with some of the biggest clients and brands and have an active role in contributing and seeing results from their efforts.

We do innovative work. We recently won several awards for innovative insurance marketing work we completed for a client. Our analytics, marketing and creative teams are always pushing the limits to benefit our clients. Our executive management team encourages all employees to contribute new ideas and run tests to help our clients achieve success in new ways.

We have a great company culture where we all have the work hard, play hard mentality. Employees that are dedicated, work hard and deliver value are rewarded. Those who can’t survive the fast paced, exciting and at times demanding environment of an agency are quickly filtered out. This allows us to have a talented core group of passionate individuals that share the common goal of delivering great results for our clients and helping them achieve success.

We are a family at TPG Direct. Team members frequently pitch in to help others with tight deadlines, share insights and work together to help out fellow employees. A few employees bring their dogs to the office and are just one aspect of the fun environment working at TPG Direct is. We take a break around 3:30 PM on Fridays in the office to get together with fellow employees and have a beer, wine or snacks and socialize.

The benefits at TPG are great. My wife and I are able to get excellent health coverage at a low costs since TPG picks up most of the health care coverage costs for both of us.

Our CEO Steve Longley is a strong leader and is truly passionate about the company. He demands excellence and has a level of loyalty and integrity not often found by CEOs these days. He personally cares about all his employees and their well-being. Steve has the confidence and skills to lead this company into the future and help TPG Direct achieve great success.

Our Co-President Alison Denis has been brought on to compliment Steve’s talents. Alison continues to help us improve our internal processes and culture, delight clients with her extensive marketing experience, great personality and how she clearly communicates her ideas through her well-honed presentation skills.

Together Steve and Alison are a perfect example of how the sum of the parts are greater than the parts individually and are together leading this company in a great direction.

Cons

In the past TPG Direct was held back by a few internal communication inefficiencies and a few employees who didn’t fit well with the direction TPG Direct was going as a company. Recently giant leaps have been made and we have brought on new talented individuals, built new processes, utilized new technology and adopted more efficient ways to communicate internally to ensure all team members are on the same page, understand that is going on and how their work contributes to the big picture of helping our clients.

Advice to Management

Disregard all the negative and unprofessional comments made on GlassDoor.com in the past. Keep pushing forward, we have made amazing progress in the past few months and we can’t let a few bad apples tarnish all the great work we are doing. We employees feel like we are all a part of building something great here at TPG Direct and we are excited to see this company grow.

Keep up the recent momentum and excitement. Continue to bring in top talent to help us build out the current team so we can bring in new perspectives and deliver even better results for our clients. Continue to focus on insurance marketing because of all of the decades of experience we have and it is what separates us from our competition.

Continue to celebrate our success. We truly believe in TPG Direct and are excited to see the company expand and prosper. Adding additional outside of work events such as company celebrations and additional happy hours to celebrate our triumphs would help further boost morale and further develop relationships outside of work.

A fun place to work with a great office location

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TPG is a great place to work; the work is interesting and at times challenges you to stretch your skill set and grow. You have the opportunity to take on new things and expand your career horizons and learn. Recently the agency has sharpened its focus on a few industry verticals, which has helped business grow and enables the team to keep their eyes on the ball.

The location is great, too - very close to the great restaurants, lunch spots and activities of downtown Philadelphia, but sited along the river, which makes it easily commutable (good parking) for people who drive in or take transit into the city. It's very easy, when the work day is done (or the work week) to head out for fun in the city.

The team is also quite fun to hang out with; there are ad hoc get togethers or holiday celebrations, free soft pretzels and beverages on Friday, a good overall vibe.

Cons

There were some recent challenges with more macro economic issues outside of here that caused a little bit of turmoil, but the dust has settled down over the past 6 months and things are really clicking now.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, the new strategies for growth are working!

Good opportunities and great people

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to move up at TPG. Always something to keep you busy. Colleagues are friendly and good people across the board. Everyone is very supportive of each other, and always willing to help out where possible. Some of the smartest people I know work here, and we are working on some very cool and innovative projects and ideas. We have great clients who often express how happy they are with our work.

Cons

Very high workload at times, but management always shows appreciation.

Advice to Management

Continue on our current path and stay focused on what is working.

All is Fair in Advertising

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's no fake it till you make it here. EVERYBODY work really hard to understand our client's business and to become experts on what we preach. There's no short cuts. Our young and seasoned team is driven and talented, but also very nice people to share a beer with.

Cons

Always changing environment. Not just here, but in our industry and our client's industries. That's the nature of the job. Our client's needs are always evolving and it is hard keeping pace. It's not fun when you see somebody that you really like, pack up and leave, and that makes us very nervous about the integrity of the team and how it could affect the quality of the work.

Advice to Management

Even on a changing environment, while keeping eyes on the ball, lets just focus on doing a couple of things really well and do it better than anyone else. The rest will follow.

TPG moving in the right direction!

Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New ownership is allowing TPG to breath and prosper now that Omnicom no longer has us under their thumb.

Cons

At times, we have to wear a couple of different hats, but that's a good thing because TPG gives you the chance to learn new things.

Advice to Management

The new ownership has an open door policy that allows you to express your ideas and if you are committed to your beliefs, they will support you in every way. The Agency reminds me of how the old ad agencies used to run ... you work hard, come together as a team and enjoy the fruits of your labor - it's a great place to work!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TPG Direct is one of the best jobs I have had. I have been here for a little over 2 years and can honestly say I love my job. The people I work with are absolutely wonderful and make the work day a fun and positive place to be. Our CEO, Steve, is an incredibly hard working and talented man who treats his employees with the utmost respect. He pushes us to do our best, and encourages us with positive reinforcement. My position at TPG challenges me and pushes me to produce the best work I can, and I feel my skills and diligence in working have grown tremendously since working here. All in all, a great place to work.

Cons

The commute isn't the most ideal for my situation, but its worth it. Also, a lot of days are long work days, but that is to be expected in this kind of work field.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep pushing us to do our best and continue leading us in the way you are.

Poor leadership ruining a company with great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people who I work with. Location of the office is ideal.

Cons

The CEO steve Longley (now the President) took over in the fall of 2008. Since that time TPG has continually lost business, revenue, great talent and now that he has ruined the business beyond survival the ownership of TPG gave him a ultimatum - either you buy the company or we close the dor. Well I guess his ego hot in the way of smart decision making and he bought TPG. Thanks steve now us remaining employees have lost our tenure and self respect in the industry. This company has one chance and that is for Alison (his wife and co president) to fire Steve since she has the business mind, not sure what he brings to the table. The one hope that we have is that former owner and the man who started the company buys TPG and sends Steve packing. TPG haslost project managers, we have HR and no IT, and most of the digital department has moved on to more successful jobs.

Advice to Management

My advice, which is shared by most of the company is for our fearless leader Steve to step down and move on to his next gig, probably a circus clown.

TPG Direct Response

Oct 13, 2014Co-President

The agency has expanded the its capabilities and has gone through a transformation. The TPG management team has worked hard to keep the agency competitive. Change can be invigorating for some and ... More

CEO is one of the biggest egomaniacs and jerks I have ever met

I worked at TPG Direct

Pros

Colleagues were fantastic. Working as a group, collaborating, and helping each other succeed was really great. People from all walks of life so you learn a lot. Some of the original founders are still there and are amazing to learn from and work with.

Cons

Steve Longley probably wrote the most recent positive review actually, which is the funniest thing in the world (minus the kudos to the Account Services team and leader). He had NO idea HOW to talk to his employees and clients, and was paranoid beyond belief and a time-sucker. I learned from everyone else BUT him, and he has no tact or class. Does not care about employees, just the benefits he gets himself, and pretends that he is a "true team player."

Advice to Management

What is left of management, utilize other resources and find a new job. Let Steve sink with his ship. Supporting something and someone with no accountability and backbone will only make you more miserable than you are.

Company is drowning

I have been working at TPG Direct full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

TPG is a Omnicom owned company, which means the company is safe until Omnicom cuts ties.

Cons

Senior management is less than desirable. CEO is paranoid about everyone to the point that everyone has to report to him. The company was on good stable ground in 2007 and before and then Omnicom brought in a new CEO. Since then the company has lost clients, revenue and talent. In 2007 there were more then 60 employees, now there are about 18. There is no HR and no IT, when they left the company for better opportunities they were not replaced. We used to get pay raises (been 3 years) and we used to get bonuses. Training opportunities are non existent - been told to spend time with so and so to learn something new, the problem is everyone is over 100% billable so you can't justify time for training. The enviroment here was so great - like a family away from family. Now people have that blank look - and when it 5pm they run out the door, unlike in the old days people stayed late to get it done. I do like working here but it is harder and harder to come to work. Our holiday days off keep shrinking the last two years.

Advice to Management

Please consider a change at the top. I can't believe that a ownership company will let a great agency run into the ground if there is time to fix it.

TPG Direct Response