TRC Companies

Chris Vincze

Fantastic Company

Former Employee - Engineer Intern in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer Intern in Franklin, MA

I worked at TRC Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Walked in and asked if they need an intern, was hired as an Engineer Intern a month later.
    They notice talent when they see it.
    Interesting work.
    Good work, life balance.
    Provides opportunity to begin a career after school through relevant experience.
    Pay was just OK. To say no to a paid intern job as an engineering student would be foolish, however.

Cons

Boring at times when there was not enough work.
    Once went an entire week without doing any legitimate work.
    Not much training.
    Not challenging enough to convince me to return in the winter.

Keep doing you.

A decent place to learn

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Augusta, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Augusta, ME

I have been working at TRC Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and some experienced engineers.

Cons

A corporate mentality. Manager's car little for others suggestions.

Listen to your employees.

Minimal engineering performed.

I have been working at TRC Companies full-time

Pros

Great place to start for a first job.

Cons

After you have a year or two of experience, look for a company that offers more experience.

Management is OK.

Work there for two years and move on, good spring board company.

I worked at TRC Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large national presence. Plenty of exposure to electrical design. Co workers are wonderful. Able to discuss issues directly with middle management. Good benefits package. Supplied with more than ample resources and materials.

Cons

There is no communication between upper management and the rest of the employees, all information filters down through office managers and PC's. If you are young don't plan on being compensated even closely to what older, already once retired people make there. Huge discrepancies in work loads. Keep a lot of dead weight around just to bill the client. And the kicker is no formal career path laid out for the younger employees, the most intelligent and talented employees always leave after about a year or two.

Cut the fat, way too many people work there that have no clue how to do their job. Also, quit just buying companies to increase the workforce, actually give the quality employees raises of value.

Terrible middle management. No team values. Everyone for himself. Backstabbing is the norm.

I worked at TRC Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people who work for TRC. Some of the HR people are top notch. These are the only things that brought me brought me above one star. I really loved working with some of the individuals here. Unfortunately, most of the best have been flushed out or have left for various reasons. The others just keep their heads down.

Cons

There is very much an "us versus them" culture in the company. For example , "it's the environmental people's fault, not infrastructure," and vice versa. A lot of inter-specialty hostility. No esprit de corps whatsoever. If you are not in the "in" clique, you have no chance of being a project manager, regardless of your experience. In fighting, back biting and backstabbing are the norm and certainly not discouraged by middle management. In fact, the office environment encourages these qualities. Upper management tends to be oblivious of this as well as day to day issues. To them it is all about utilization percentages. If you fall below 70% or so, for whatever reason, then it's bye bye to you (see back biting above). As a result, people would rather be completely overworked and behind schedule, with angry clients, than ask for help from other staff. If you work here, watch your back and befriend management and you'll do fine.

Encourage teamwork. "Us" should be TRC, not Infrastructure or Remediation, etc. Encourage upward mobility to project/program management and discourage petty backstabbing. Take a close look at middle management who tend to micromanage and point fingers rather than take responsibility.

Management sinking the ship

I worked at TRC Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the employees are truly gifted individuals. Benefits package, while not exceptional, make this company tolerable in small doses. Great opportunity to see how management can tear down what the employees build up.

Cons

As has been stated in other reviews, the petty backstabbing and "us vs them" attitude is prevalent in most of the TRC offices. Management highly unethical, and more than willing to throw an employee if front of the train to make themselves look good. Corporate politics at its worst. Very cliquish, if you are lucky enough to be in the "right group", you may have a chance at advancement, training, or other promises made during the hiring process...if not, keep your head down and wait for the axe to fall.

Lead by example. Inspire loyalty instead of expecting it when you stab your own employees in the back. The employees are what make the company what it is, stop stepping on them to boost your own image or ego. Consider keeping promises. Remember that true respect is earned, so stop with the us vs. them mentality.

Ok place to work

Former Employee - Part-time Hygienist in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Part-time Hygienist in Windsor, CT

I worked at TRC Companies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked part-time. Tought to get into the office to do necessary lab work with my other full-time commitment.

Cons

worked a few 2nd shift jobs where the construction site was sketchy. I would not have worked those sites alone on 2nd shift.

TRC is a very positive place to work that will contribute to your overall education and advancement.

I worked at TRC Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management at TRC is VERY family oriented. For the most part, my experience has been that they're open minded and helpful. My experience here was very positive. My supervisor was trusted me to do my job without micro-managing and with that, it made me want to do a better job.

Cons

Petty in-fighting, gossipy, quite a few with immature behavior. Some of the staff are openly rude to clients and in the end, that will hurt the company.

I'd suggest taking a deeper look at the "work from home" abilities of a few staff members. I'd also suggest monitoring of the computer use for surfing, shopping, games, and IM chats since all of those activities are being abused throughout the day. Employees are well aware of their coworkers and a particular manager who is guilty of this and gets away with it anyway.

Best taken with a grain of salt

I have been working at TRC Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great many of the employees within TRC are both friendly and knowledgeable, and the work environment differs from office to office.

Cons

Wages are not competitive, raises practically non-existent, inner corporate political maneuvering greatly reduces the effectiveness of the company, and very effectively dampens any aspirations of upward mobility within the company unless one belongs to a certain clique.

Stop trying to sound so impressive using corporate buzzwords, and get behind the efforts of the company's true assets...the employees.

Decent Place to Start

I have been working at TRC Companies

Pros

Lots of opportunities to gain experience with the projects flowing in regularly. As a young engineer, I've learned a lot so far. The office is very laid back and hours are relatively flexible. They've hired a lot of experienced retired engineers from utilities to help the younger engineers with projects. Definitely a good learning environment - can't stress that enough.

Cons

The company need to compensate employees better. There are many in the office who work their tails off, get their PE license and leave because managers refuse to dish out the cash to keep them on board. This is causing a loss of talent and retention is slipping. With the retires mentioned earlier not getting any younger, management has to realize they need to retain their talent.

Also, we hire so many young engineers who don't do anything for years and drive up overhead costs, which really upsets people who work hard every day and their bonuses/raises are chump change.

There is a massive bottleneck in the management systems. Managers need to start delegating power to those they have been training for years. Continuing this way will not work.

There is corporate involvement and everything seems underdeveloped. In general I think the company is pretty cheap.

Drop the dead weight.
    Trust your employees and delegate power to those who have earned it.
    Compensate your employees properly.
    Organize events for the employees.
    Stop being so cheap.