TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER

Updated January 29, 2015

CEO

Great Property

I worked at TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER

Pros

Location and trend, great culture.

Cons

Space is too tight. was not meant to be a hotel

Great place to work at.

Great hotel to work at, nice mixture of colleagues from different parts of the world

I worked at TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER

Pros

Solid training for the job, make you feel at ease as you begin your job. Great group of co-workers

Cons

Not much annual vacation and salary are quite low considering how high end the hotel is

Forbes Rated, Great place to learn. Poor environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The biggest pros of the job is connecting with guests and residents and creating relationships. There is the opportunity to meet and connect with people from all over the country/world. There is also the opportunity to go above and beyond for the guest by making their stay special, for example; being able to upgrade for special occasions or sending complimentary chocolate or champagne.

Cons

promotions, poor environment/culture.

When getting an offer at Trump it is a very exciting experience. Going through orientation the excitement continues as you are sold the "Trump Lifestyle" and culture. There is half a week of orientation where you are given the history of the company and an overview of the property. After orientation, there is a week of cross training between departments that is very helpful. Once getting to the position you were hired for, the fraternity style initiation begins. Although they only hire people with prior experience, you are treated as if you have no knowledge in your field. My experience and others, after surveying my colleagues and even managers is that the first 3-6 months is almost a miserable experience. You come home feeling defeated and minimized everyday. The training I received for my position was minimal, it was the busy season but they just threw me out on my own and then criticized every interaction.

The pros and exclusivity of the job is that Trump is a Forbes five-star hotel meaning, every interaction must be conducted within the stringent guidelines; this is something I enjoyed. Managers are quick to point out faults and do secret shops of interactions to ensure guidelines are being followed.

Turnover is extremely high! In my time with the company the front office saw more than 5 new managers, from Front office ops managers, assistant front office managers, even up to director titles.

Part of the company's mission statement is:

We believe that by creating an unsurpassed regard for our associates, our associates will, in turn, create an unparalleled guest experience that will ultimately translate into the success of all of our stakeholders.

The biggest fallacy of the mission statement is the claim that they create an environment that strives to create and unsurpassed regard for associates. The Hotel Manager has an extremely bad and rude (for lack of a better term) reputation among employees. There is a management team of six executive level members: on a good day, you would be lucky to be acknowledged by two of them if you passed all six in the hall on a given day. From my understanding, they used to have an employee appreciation lunch in the ballroom every month when the hotel first opened. They then changed that to once a quarter, or four times a year. In almost two years I recall attending two of these lunches. They also do not have any team building, off property activities, or an employee Christmas party. There are activities that employees feel management engage in to pat themselves on the back, or fulfill a quota. For example, overnight/3rd shift breakfasts, and the executive committee "serving" employees food on 'blue sky day'. It feels disingenuous, like a publicity stunt or an ego boost for them.

A job well done also goes unnoticed quite often. Every holiday season, the company is big on collecting St. Jude's donations. Eric Trump is a big contributor to the organization, hence our participation. St. Jude's is a great organization and a worthy cause, but it gets highly stressed to employees. A college of mine was the number one collector of donations, with over $5,000 collected personally. His "thank you" from management was a Google template, elementary school, certificate of achievement. The endorsement/signature line read "principal/teacher" and was signed generically "management" by the hotel. Very disrespectful. He did get to take a picture with Eric Trump though! :| In the past, former agents said the hotel had given away free nights stays in the hotel to the top two or three fundraisers as well as a gift card. AKA they keep cheapening their appreciation.

Overall, job security is pretty good, they slow down in the winter but you would have to be completely incompetent to be fired. In order to receive a promotion, you will likely have to go to a different hotel unless you are one of the few "chosen ones/golden children" of certain managers or directors. They highly favor foreign employees as well. 75% of the managers are European and if you are as well, you may have no experience, but if you are from overseas, Ireland especially, you will be hired.

It is hard to tell how high poor management goes, to just Hotel Manager or Vice President title and higher. Value your employees more and truly create an environment without pretension.

Spa at Trump under WTS international management not good

Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Chicago, IL

I worked at TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Trump Hotel and Spa. To start there is unbelievable training and the property is top notch.

Cons

Wages. Overall work ethic of upper management team from WTS International that runs Trump Spa . Great training and assistance after that you are on you own... Started out optimistic. Figured out figured out why receptionist position is on constant rotation, basically new person at desk every 3 weeks, or so for months now. Managers shifts start 3 hours after spa opens? Unacceptable. Overworked, unpaid, unsupervised, and under assisted employees.

Spend more time listening to employees and working on the floor and less behind closed office doors.

Best Hotel to Work For!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When you think luxury you think Trump!!! This is a fun hotel to work for. The pay is good and everyone from the upper management to the guests are very friendly. The guests that stay here are very nice and tip very well, even to the front desk associates. This is a great hotel to move up in. Hotel gives quarterly appreciation parties with great prizes.

Cons

I have nothing to say negative about the Trump.

It's all about the outside image, but on the inside this hotel is a mess

I worked at TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER

Pros

-Looks good on resume (because it's a luxury brand)
    -Can be a good learning experience

Cons

-Make you feel bad for requesting time off
    -Employees are nice to your face but stab you in the back if it gets them ahead
    -They love pointing fingers
    -Very few get promoted from inside (and it's the foreigners with Visas who do get promoted)

amazing work place

Current Employee - Front Office in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front Office in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

it's number one on trip advisor and 5 stars hotel ( one of the first 5 stars hotels in canada)

Cons

it's enjoyable work with the best people in the field