TRUSTe Reviews

Updated March 9, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
3.5
Chris Babel

Lack of direction but great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRUSTe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great, top level management is moving in the right direction and know how to take care of employees

Cons

Company in general lacks focus. Mid to high level management is sub-par in some departments.

Advice to Management

Cut your hanger's-on in management - find people who can drive the company forward, not drag it back. No matter how senior they are, they are part of the problem, not the solution.

Product Management

I worked at TRUSTe

Pros

- Most of the executives are great - knowledgeable, personable, and truly care about the company culture.
    - Friendly environment
    - Stable

Cons

- The products are not going anywhere - need a lot of strategic planning and timely execution.
    - Too relaxed. If you're looking to work and learn, this might not be a place for you.

Advice to Management

- N/A

Great place to work but won't really go anywhere

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRUSTe

Pros

Awesome culture and people
    Love the fully stocked kitchen

Cons

the pay is below market and there's really no career path

Advice to Management

There needs to be a better and defined career path

I look forward to coming to work every day!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRUSTe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I feel valued for my expertise and am included in relevant meetings/conversations
    - Employees are super friendly and inclusive
    - Great communication from management and between teams
    - I feel that I am adequately compensated for my level, education, and experience
    - Centrally located office in SF right above the Westfield Mall (elevator goes straight down to the food court)
    - We're getting ready to launch a pretty disruptive product - our Data Privacy Management Platform
    - TRUSTe has long been a thought-leader in the privacy field
    - Unlimited vacation days, awesome company paid healthcare
    - Senior Management is informed, open, intelligent, and communicative
    - There is a peer recognition and feedback system (Pulse) in place - it's integrated into company g-Mail, so it's really easy to give kudos to employees who have contributed to the team or helped me out.
    - Management is flexible - as long as you get your work done, you can work from home once a week or so
    - Many Happy Hours and team & company events

Cons

- The office space is great, but we need more space as the company grows.
    - It's distracting to work in the office sometimes because the break area is next to many of the cubes and it can get very loud during lunch.

Advice to Management

- Consider 401K matching
    - Continue to hire more privacy-focused experts
    - Continue to increase onboard training
    - Create more documented/defined processes for employees to refer to

6. Exciting growth at TRUSTe, both for the organization and for my own professional development

I have been working at TRUSTe

Pros

1. My opinions and suggestions are seriously considered. I am invited to contribute to various cross-functional efforts.
    2. I have autonomy to try out new strategies, and make things happen that are new and/or have never been done.
    3. Most people I'm surrounded by are thinking creatively and making an impact. This is a very smart, fun team - the best I've worked with!
    4. There has been great opportunity to network, learn new skills, and develop professionally
    5. Newest offerings coming out of Product are AWESOME.

Cons

1. Expectations of the sales team can sometimes be unrealistic, and accomplishments under-acknowledged at the highest level
    2. Your job priorities can change quickly and you need to be able to respond accordingly...it's never dull!

Advice to Management

I'd like to see more communication about leadership accountability. What standards are all the executives being measured against, and how are they doing? I'd like to see a bit of a mixup at the executive level so that we can continue to get more innovative. The recent leadership changes at Policy and GPSO, plus integrating EU team back into Sales are all great examples of how leadership innovations are good for the organization.

Investments in many areas over the past year have been tremendous, but there are always more opportunities for improvement in areas such as: a stellar customer experience, customer value beyond the service, customer and prospect content (generated by marketing and policy), and TRUSTe's visibility in the regulatory circles at State, Federal and International levels.

7. Not the worst, but not the best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TRUSTe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Most people were friendly and easy to get along with
    - Snack area focused on healthy food
    - Periodical team-building activities and company-wide events
    - Better than average pay, compared to similar in the industry
    - Sales reps and IT had the best collaborative vibe
    - Renown brand in the tech industry

Cons

- Some managers were not suitable leaders (may no longer be employed)
    - Various employees were cliquey and gossip
    - Not everyone had a team-player attitude
    - Workload was uneven; some days were hectic and busy, while others involved asking for ad hoc projects
    - Company rules were sketchy and had "gray areas;" be wary of people around you and what you do in your spare time

Not a great place to work

I worked at TRUSTe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Greatest things about this place include: free snacks, a tapped keg, happy hours, and refrigerator full of free beverages. There was work life balance, and I must mention the perk of unlimited vacation that everyone took advantage of, however this didn't boost morale or productivity.

Cons

Leadership is clueless and disjointed. It was shocking to see the lack of alignment for high level strategy. No one was that motivated to work, especially the sales team, who were inexperienced and unprofessional. You can walk through the office at the end of quarter and no one would be there. The CEO had to reinforce rules for people to come into the office to work. The company is trying to pivot or do something interesting.

Advice to Management

Be clear on what the strategy is and communicate it and inspire your teams. It just looks like everyone there is coasting.

Such a chill environment that it is demotivating

I have been working at TRUSTe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Unlimited vacation is awesome
    - Semi-stocked kitchen
    - Ultimate freedom
    - friendly, genuinely good people who work there

Cons

- No one there cares about anything (Example: you could not hit your goals and would still be able to show up late and leave early and take extended vacay)
    - No accountability
    - No SOPs in place
    - Breeds laziness across all departments
    - Zero follow up that isn't client driven
    - Execs are completely out of touch with the reality and health of the organization (Example: CEO saying all renewals should be a slam dunk but not realizing half of the people who signed up and payed haven't been reached out to by client services, didn't complete certification or haven't been happy with us because we have no customer service.

Advice to Management

Crack down a little more. Hold people accountable and be accountable yourself. The company touts transparency but no one ever knows anything be it internal changes, product rollouts or exits. No training where it's important. The people are great and everyone is supportive but that could really be cultivated into an amazing and productive culture that would breed drive instead of indifference and laziness.

Upper Management = Middleman

I have been working at TRUSTe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great perks
    - Team culture (everyone helps out everyone)
    - Great location
    - Products are actually something you can get behind
    - Well known brand

Cons

- Company outlook changes a lot ( they constantly make changes instead of sitting down and figuring out a long term plan)
    - Seems like there is little communication between upper management. Most people don't really know exactly what some people do and are in charge of on a day to day basis or they just don't care if others are doing their job

Advice to Management

Trim some fat, there are some people in charge of making decisions that really don't need to be there for the simple fact that they DON'T make the tough calls, don't provide clear direction.

They just take what is given to them by upper management and communicate that down to their team and don't contribute any helpful, creative, or insightful suggestions.

11. I have been with TRUSTe for just over 2 years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRUSTe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Emplyees are encouraged to find innovative solutions to privacy problems.
    -Emplyees are recognized for their contributions
    -Open communications from management
    -TRUSTe is the leading company in the privacy space - and privacy is on every company's agenda and is a fast growing market
    - Management fully embraces social responsibility and the company participates in many worthy causes that help underprivileged families and support cancer research
    -Endless summer leave policy

Cons

No major cons that I can think of