TRW Automotive

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014

TRW Automotive Chairman of the Board, President and CEO John C. Plant
John C. Plant

Pros
  • Good people, acceptable work environment (in 9 reviews)

• I have met a lot of genuinely good people who sacrifice a great deal in service to TRW (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work/ life balance, your home is just a place to store your stuff (in 5 reviews)

• Limited career growth opportunities (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, skills valued.

Current Employee - Specialist in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Specialist in Livonia, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time

Pros

Truly believes in the talent that each employees possesses. If you're a hard worker, they'll see it & challenge you to improve yourself, your career & experience at TRW. My team(s) are great - all are working towards a similar goal & are able to contribute when needed. Personalities are mixed which make the work atmosphere fun and different each day. TRW really does want to make a change in some areas and encourages employees to help with that.

Cons

The typical "big company/ corporate environment" can be felt at times. At times some people feel restricted. Easy to combat though with stepping up.

I'd say be different, be bold. Try to get away from the "well this is how it has always been" type of work life. Attract new talent to bring new personalities, new ideas, new creativity to TRW.

Great Company to work for that has all their ducks in a row.

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Livonia, MI

I worked at TRW Automotive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working environment that is small enough where you can have your center stage. Opportunities to learn various disciplines about the business side and the technical side.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult depending on your job function and some weeks you will work more than 40 hours during crisis mode (nature of the business) Maybe tough to move up the ladder within this company but is a great stepping stone.

Invest in updating your technology!

Senior Product Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Livonia, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time

Pros

Some Flexibility with work from home. Good Dental coverage. Worker level employees are helpful and try to fulfill team objectives.

Cons

Medical benefits have high deductable when comparable to other automotive suppliers and OEMS.
    Work Life balance is not balanced. Not much leadership or mentoring. Staffing is short sighted and product knowledge is iffy. No career path.

Get to know your staff; aptitudes, knowledge, and your staff that are "weak links". Reassign people accordingly and compensate the capable ones.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Manager in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Livonia, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

TRW allows me to work on projects where I am able to interact with all levels within the company. There has been plenty of career opportunities available as well. Hard working people who really care about what we do and the products we make.

Cons

TRW is a fast paced working environment and you have to be able to handle multiple tasks at one time. If you are unable to thrive in this type of environment, then this may not be a good fit

Continue to invest back into the company.

Great place to grow your career

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Livonia, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

TRW is a large, global company. If you are looking for a place where you can learn, be challenged, and grow your career, this is the company to join. I have always been able to make a move/take on a new role when I was ready for a change. I have been able to maintain adequate work life balance.

Cons

TRW is very lean. Resources are not abundant and if you are a manager, you must be willing to roll up your sleeves and work - not just manage - not a con for me but is for some others.

Invest in more robust, global systems.

Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I worked at TRW Automotive full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has a good business plan and continuously has a strategic outlook.

Cons

Sometimes no the technology leader.

Great place to intern

Former Employee - Intern in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Livonia, MI

I worked at TRW Automotive as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Got lots of responsibility. The team treated me as a peer. I was given worthwhile assignments to spearhead.

Cons

Had to do some generic intern tasks related to organizing of parts.

Keep giving interns worthwhile projects.

Very Disappointing

Current Employee - Supplier Management in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Supplier Management in Livonia, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of capable people who are willing to work in a team environment. Being such a large company, they can afford to invest in innovative concepts.

Cons

Weak people-leadership from the very top ... creates atmosphere of mistrust, fear and inhibited creativity and problem solving....as well as fostering divisiveness.

Replace the CEO with one capable of inspiring the organization...not just breeding fear throughout it! The culture feels toxic and demoralizing........and caters to the lowest common denominator at the expense of the talented majority and ultimately, the organization as a whole!

Would never recommend to anyone with standards

Former Employee - Program Manager in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Livonia, MI

I worked at TRW Automotive full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. Company is so poorly run. Incredible that company is still surviving. However, competitors are catching up with their products and profits are down. Great place for program managers who have no true skills to get hired into high salaries.

Cons

Overworked employees. Another review discussed in great detail how 12+ hour days are the norm. Each employee has workload of about 3 people. Working systems are ineffective- simply creates busy work. IT systems do not work either. There is no training and no consistency between people who share roles. Turnover is very high as employees soon realize the poor morale and poor working environment. It is the norm for teams to get into "survival mode" which is stabbing others in the back constantly. There is no encouragement to employees for growth and company as a whole is reactive rather than being progressive.

Stop being so selfish and look at the company's growth as a whole and recognize that true growth can only occur when the company invests in ALL employees. Not just upper level managers, VP etc. Mid level managers need to tell executives when their expectations are unrealistic. It's disgusting that the CEO makes millions annually yet hiring freezes are set and bonuses are not paid out to the employees who work 12+ hour days, 6-7 days per week.

Good starter company

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Livonia, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time

Pros

Good place to start a career

Cons

wage increases below inflationary levels for almost a decade resulting in low morale among employees

Your success is because of the people who work here. It is time to recognize that..