TRW Automotive

TRW Automotive Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

TRW Automotive Chairman of the Board, President and CEO John C. Plant

John C. Plant

Pros:
  • "Great place for program managers who have no true skills to get hired into high salaries"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance for non-plant personnel is reasonable"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Horrible work/ life balance, your home is just a place to store your stuff"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Senior management don't care about their workforce they expect lot with no rewards"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very good company to work for who clearly understands Automotive OEMs.

Leader (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have been able to work myself into different roles as there has been upward movement. Company is resolved to be number one in their market making the tough decisions along the way.

ConsStaff in plants do not seem to have opportunities for training, i.e. (depends on the location).

Good salary, reasonable facilities

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn my area, I receive a good salary for the work that I do, competitve with other industries. I work in a good facility. My co-workers and my team have been very stable, having been largely intact for fifteen years. We are given significant autonomy.

ConsWhile corporate top managment must be given very high marks for solid financial decisions and more than adequate financial preparation for future, some operational and human resource decisions appear to be shortsighted. The CEO is very autocratic and surrounds himself with yes men. The corporate level appears to be primarily motivated by fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't shoot the messenger. The best manager and employees are those willing to tell you the truth even when it is unpleasant to hear. Allowing other ideas than your own is using the strength of your people to its fullest.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TRW Automotive full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company has a good business plan and continuously has a strategic outlook.

ConsSometimes no the technology leader.

Cheapest company to work for, horrible management.

Machine/Assembly Technician (Current Employee)
Tillsonburg, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TRW Automotive as a contractor

ProsThe people I worked with on my line were great to work with, in fact a lot of machine operators are very friendly people and work hard. Not a lot of heavy lifting.

ConsVery unfair treatment of employees. Ripping off their annual raise. Very cheap company to work for. Their machines are broken, and instead of fixing them properly they just "bandage" the situation and hope it goes away. The health and safety of employees is their last concern. The Metal working fluids they use to machine their parts is full of bacterias and mold, and makes a lot of employees ill. Their "union" is a joke. a waste of $60 a month. Use of contract employees, going through a process of hiring on contract employees full time, but seems very biased. Noticing a lot of women with low cut shirts getting hired. Already pissed of GM enough that they are not allowed to bid on new contracts with them, had to resort to BMW and keeping existing GM lines. Talk among a lot of employees on the floor about the plant possibly going under in a few years. Always running out of components and missing shipment, and management always blames the operators, when in reality, it's management not ordering enough components or not allowing proper maintenance of their machines, thus a lot of machine downtime!! Also, noticing some lines won't have any work all week, yet I see them get mandated every saturday. Totally wrong and should not be allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about you smarten the hell up before you all lose your jobs? learn to take care of your employees.

From family owned & oriented to employees are a commodity

I have been working at TRW Automotive

ProsThe long time employees remember when it was locally owned.

ConsLeadership views long term employees as easily dismissed. This observation comes from seeing 20-40 year veteran engineers that cared deeply about the company & products being walked out like untrustworthy criminals.

Good Company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Johor Bahru (Malaysia)

I worked at TRW Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTRW is a great place to learn new aspects , employees are given sufficient freedom.

ConsMost of the development work happens in Europe & America. AP has virtually no development activity expect handling customer and manufacturing.

Okay company

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Lafayette, IN

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

Prospretty lay back, learning environment

Constop heavy, laid off a lot of people to hire high level executives

Advice to Senior Managementneed to cut cost

Top Management Lost in Their Own Agenda ($)

Senior Staff (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany has great employees and great unlocked potential. Highly skilled workforce. The working staff just need a better working working environment.

ConsTop management watches numbers and does not think that employees are a resource. No trust of employees to do the right thing, Lots of checks and balances that are insulting to the professionals that work for TRW. It used to be a great place to work. Stock price is up but not sustainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit, move on, take your spoils and move on. Let the company prosper with proper non bean counting management. The CEO and top staff is over compensated taking value from share holders and employees.

Very Disappointing

Supplier Management (Current Employee)
Livonia, MI

I have been working at TRW Automotive full-time for more than a year

ProsPlenty of capable people who are willing to work in a team environment. Being such a large company, they can afford to invest in innovative concepts.

ConsWeak people-leadership from the very top ... creates atmosphere of mistrust, fear and inhibited creativity and problem solving....as well as fostering divisiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the CEO with one capable of inspiring the organization...not just breeding fear throughout it! The culture feels toxic and demoralizing........and caters to the lowest common denominator at the expense of the talented majority and ultimately, the organization as a whole!

Great place to intern

Intern (Former Employee)
Livonia, MI

I worked at TRW Automotive as an intern for less than a year

ProsGot lots of responsibility. The team treated me as a peer. I was given worthwhile assignments to spearhead.

ConsHad to do some generic intern tasks related to organizing of parts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving interns worthwhile projects.

Worked for TRW Automotive? Contribute to the Community!

TRW Automotive Videos

TRW Automotive – Why Work for Us?

TRW Automotive is one of the largest automotive suppliers in the world. TRW Automotive's eight product lines include: aftermarket, braking, chassis, commercial steering, electronics, engine components, engineered… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TRW Automotive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TRW Automotive CEO John C. Plant. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by TRW Automotive employees.