TSA Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014

CEO

Great

I worked at TSA

Pros

Great pay, uniform a plus, friendly team work unit.

Cons

Stressful at times. And very repetitive.

Stop treating staff like their contribution to the workload is not a benefit to the company.

Repetitive with spontaneous, interesting moments.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at TSA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Steady income, decent benefits, matching 401K-like plan, and interesting. A good opportunity to see people from all walks of life in the workforce and the crowds. Decent opportunity for those without specialized training or college degrees. Ability to transfer to other areas all over the nation, wherever there is airport with federalized security.

Cons

Changes to small details make it hard to keep up on everything you need to know to perform your duties. No flight benefits. Your environment can be depressing after a while. Not all that interesting after a few years.

Find a better way of recruiting and holding on to the best employees. Give bonuses for people who meet expectations like other companies do. This would help the retention problem.

Treated like a hamster on a wheel, in other words your replaceable if you fail.

Former Employee - Transportation Security Administration Officer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Administration Officer in Seattle, WA

I worked at TSA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Meeting people from different walks of life, interacting with the public including famous people in political arena, to entertainment field.

Cons

long hours, forced overtime, no balance between work and family time, employees that are back stabbers, favored staff , supervisors are not on same page.

listen to the employees, accommodate them to some degree, don't steal their ideals and then say its yours.. value them and they will be more productive

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TSA Life Balance approach - What a joke just a waste of money to some contracting guru

Current Employee - J Band  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - J Band in Arlington, VA

I have been working at TSA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I left TSA a month ago and was a J band with basically nothing to do since the reorganization. So Pro would be getting paid a nice pay check for nothing. Also, Tele commute was awesome could sleep on the couch and monitor my laptop! Retirement for a few years of work is also cool.

Cons

TSA listens to so called contracting experts who started some BS life balance approach basically it's a scheme to get better marks on job satisfaction while you let good employees turn into lazy bums and bad employees just do what they do everyday NOTHING.

Go back to the old ORG chart and let the J and K bands manage the people instead of them managing themselves. There are K bands walking the halls that don't manage anyone. This contractor that suggested this was a joke even the stakeholders are pissed off and don't even work with TSA anymore. It's like the mutiny on kane

Great Company, Great People

Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at TSA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job was serious but fun, all my co workers I still talk to now cause they were great. The leads and supervisors were quite helpful and great people.

Cons

It was such a new company when I started that you constantly felt as if you were falling through the cracks, there was on a regular basis a loss between paperwork or words from lower employees to upper management.

Communication, Communication, Communication

An experience worth taking

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at TSA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great pay with wonderful benefits

Cons

the norms in any government organization

seek out other avenues to increase employee morale

Screener- Officer

Current Employee - Screener-Officer  in  La Guardia Airport, NY
    Current Employee - Screener-Officer in La Guardia Airport, NY

I have been working at TSA full-time for more than a year

Pros

okay Pension, pay is fair, Government Clearance, government discounts

Cons

shift times, strict management, Passangers and co-workers

Challengin and rewarding

Current Employee - Tso  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Tso in Portland, OR

I have been working at TSA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very dynamic. Everyday is different

Cons

Work can be repetitive. Passengers can be a real pain

Management at PDX is very hands on compared to other airports. However, don't forget its your front line employees that keep PDX moving.

Worked for TSA? Contribute to the Community!