TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

www.tsa.gov

265 reviews filtered by

Terrible place to work.

Former Employee - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) DFW Airport
    Former Employee - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) DFW Airport

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

The job is very easy. Pretty good pay. Good benefits.

Cons

I have never worked somewhere that treated their employees more like children. Any opportunity for advancement has nothing to do with qualifications, it just has to do with if you're friends with management. They treat you as a number and only that. I had a friend that worked there for almost 8 years, and when she found another job and left TSA she didn't even get a "so long good luck" from management. Almost 8 years of her life dedicated to that place and that's the way they treat you!!!

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

2. Not bad

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

Steady Schedule with overtime available

Cons

Bad communication and uninformed leadership

Advice to Management

Communicate better

3. High turnover rate for a reason.

Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Nashville, TN

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

Decent benefits.
    Taking leave.
    Meeting people from all walks of life.

Cons

Low moral ethics.
    Management is inept.
    Preferential treatment towards other workers.

Advice to Management

Treat Employees With Respect.

TSO

Current Employee - Tso in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Tso in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to get your foot in the federal door. Pay is better then you'll find at most entry level positions. Job takes a bit getting used to but once you get into the swing of things you'll find that it's easy to keep up with the fast paced environment.

Cons

The union is a joke. If you plan a career here get promoted as quickly as you can. The seniority system resets each time you get promoted meaning the longer you work here and the more experience you have the more it will hurt your career if you decide to move up later in life. A one year newly promoted officer can make just as much as a 12 year veteran. So you can imagine how it can be when you have all new hires running the show because the veterans have more to lose getting promoted. Promotions are based on how well you communicate and solely that. Even if you can't walk the walk as long as you can sell ice to a snowman you're on your way to the top in no time.

Advice to Management

Take an employees overall profile into consideration before promoting solely on interview scores. Have some type of seniority preservation system to encourage officers with the more experience to apply for promotions.

6. Transportation Security Officer. (Screener)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provide national security to the transportation public in the must professional way according Standard Operational Procedures.

Cons

Takes long time term to be promoted from part-time to full time basis.

Advice to Management

Before taking a determination to remove personnel, should be an inside background check of performance records, to consider if the employee deserves a second opportunity to maintain his/her duty position.

Went in with low expectations, left with an abysmal impression.

Former Employee - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) IAH Airport
    Former Employee - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) IAH Airport

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was steady work.

The work was never physically demanding for me as a 35 year old male.

You should be able to meet at least two people who are truly professional.

If you love America and want to protect it you will find like minded people who, for the most part, truly love their country.

Cons

If you love America and want to protect people you may learn that they would perhaps be better off protecting themselves and you should look for other outlets for your patriotism.

Inappropriate advances by aggressive female staff, borderline sexual harassment.

Inappropriate behavior by male staff having illicit affairs with female staff.

Management at the highest level of airport security having multiple affairs with subordinate females.

Passengers and flight crew will treat you like absolute dirt, but you get used to it, which might not be a good thing either.

The more work you do the more likely a mistake will happen and you will be caught in the middle of it. This is bad because there are many people in this world who will work harder to get out of work. This culture of teamwork at TSA leaves more work and potential mistakes for those that work the hardest. The more mistakes the best employee makes then the more she or he is less likely to get promoted. Also, the more time an employee is away from work nosing up to the management the more likely they will be promoted instead.
    In other words, less opportunity for the best employee.

If you are a hard working, self-starting type of person that your management grows to count on, you will not even get the chance to train for promotion because you will be doing the work for the people your management would rather see promoted. Favoritism is a common theme especially in big government.

Diversity is courageously tackled at TSA, but if you are blonde-haired-blue-eyed then be prepared to hear the kinds of racially charged things you would never dream of saying if the roles were reversed. I was verbally threatened by another employee of darker skin tone I kept quiet out of fear and of course nothing came of it. Also, on a countless occasions I was made the joke with statements such as “White is right, huh, (myname)?” However, only one time I abruptly warned another employee to never discuss the disabilities of a passenger on the floor. This employee was having a laugh at the passengers expense, the focus went from his inappropriate comments about people with disabilities to the management focusing on me, a white man threatening a young African American man.
    If you are smart like me and were to run into this kind of treatment you would probably find another job as quickly as possible because it begins to look like a set up.

Finally, it was almost three years ago that I walked away from TSA. Since then I have been unemployed scrounging for odd jobs. Without laying out my level of education and record of patriotic service in the armed forces I must tell you that I have never been able to get past a second interview with a company in the past three years. I do not mention that to get sympathy as an unemployed veteran, I say this because I have great qualifications, but I can not even get a part time job with Home Depot as a cashier. It is bizarre.
    I am not much of detective, but either two things are happening. First, people never want to hire a previous TSA employee or second, someone in the organization may have the ability to do what would otherwise be illegal for most companies. If they can make it difficult for me, then they can do the same for you.
    Either way, “Unemployed after TSA” has been the most substantial “con” I can present, and it hopefully illustrates to you just how bad things could be if you decide to work for them.

Basically, if you work here and it doesn’t appear to be that great a job for you then there is a small chance that you will suffer for it a long time afterwards.

Advice to Management

Have a little mercy and please separate your personal life and feelings from your professional responsibilities.

STSO

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

It's a federal job you can use as a stepping stone to other government agencies.

Cons

FLL has the worst management I have ever seen. They rule by fear! The morale is horrible here. I am an STSO currently at FLL and my advice is to get out. The raise from LTSO to STSO is not worth all the headaches.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all mangment from TSM all the way just below AFSD. Everyone below Rob needs to go. There are maybe 5 mangers that do there jobs. One manager beat his girlfriend, others have slept their way to the top. Change the culture and pay us a decent salary. Until then nothing will change here!

9. Depressing culture. Decent pay.

Current Employee - Behavior Detection Officer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Behavior Detection Officer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

The pay is pretty good compared to what others make in a similar job, with comparable experience.

Cons

The morale is incredibly low. Promotions have more to do with who you know, and how well you "play the game". If you don't get promoted, your pay will virtually never go up. Monotonous work, with little sense of accomplishment. Management cares more about how many passengers get processed, than they do about security. Hard work does not pay off.

Advice to Management

Focus on security, and pay attention to the people who work hard as opposed to those that talk a good game.

Good paying part-time job if you don't have any other obligations outside of work.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits for part-time employees. Pay not bad for a part-time job.

Cons

Forced overtime anytime there is inclement weather. Dont expect to go home on time when there are bad storms, snow or thunderstorms. Low man on totem pole will be forced to stay over for unknown amount of hours until it is cleared for takeoff.

11. N/A

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

Able to work with the traveling public.

Cons

Poor Management. Unable to moved up and set career goals.

Advice to Management

N/A

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Photos