TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

www.tsa.gov
Profile Unclaimed

It wasn't too bad working at TSA

Current Employee - TSA Screener in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - TSA Screener in Washington, DC

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The $$ was good, but the shifts weren't too family friendly. The shifts killed me the most because its not routine, not even for a 3 month period. I liked getting exposed to the diverse public (except the crazies) its interesting to view some one else's perspective on security.

Cons

Having to deal with difficult passengers were a pain in the neck

Make more job courses equally available to everyone else not just your buddies or your favorites.

Great job with a lot of opportunity and good people.

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

Has a lot of opportunity once you are in, great benefits and compensation right off the bat. Some of the people there are amazing and what's better than looking at the beautiful passengers as they are waling through the airport.

Cons

Work/Life balance is poor. There is no flexibility, you either work the schedule they tell you or nothing. Everything is based on seniority so you will get stuck with bad off days and working a terrible shift.

Half

Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Agana Heights, GU
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Agana Heights, GU

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Pros are that you learn so much and meet new people all the time. Also it helped me appreciate TSA a lot more than I did when I was a passenger. The learning process was awesome, everyday was a new experience. Same procedure, but new people and new steps on them .

Cons

Challenges would be the time, but what can we do about that?!

Please never forget to applaud your employees. You may think that you do, but the employees can feel it. Don't only notice the small mistakes or any mistakes, but take time to notice the hard work they have done and continue to do. I mean, what are you without your staff?

Most corrupt agency to work for

Current Contractor - Tso in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Tso in New York, NY

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) as a contractor

Pros

Higher than minimum wage pay.

Cons

Management never see when you go above and beyond your job, but they always notice the smallest mistakes you might make. No room for growth unless you are kissing the manager's behind or sleeping with them (big thing going on at TSA). It's like HS here, and the supervisors are the bullies. TSOs are missing selectees, doing pat downs wrong, missing threats on the X-ray but yet they receive the highest grade score on their employer review? And others who do their job correctly and efficiently get the lowest score? Is there something I'm missing here?? This is the most corrupt agency to work for.

My advice is to the FSD. Be careful who you hire and promote. Your rules suck, you change how TSA operate every other month, you want TSOs to go above and beyond their job yet your management team does nothing but surf Instagram, drool over all the women that is traveling and harass the employees.

Don't work here

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

The benefits are really good and training

Cons

Pay can be higher and management need training

Horrible management

Starter job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

It's an easy foot into the federal government. That's all.

Cons

You will learn that their is a culture that exists within the agency that aims to undercut you at every turn. Growth depending on your location is minimal. Salary is atrocious. Other federal agencies look down on you and make presumptions upon your character and work ethic based solely on the reputation of TSA.

Unfortunately, upper management is the problem. Rather than trying to create job satisfaction and fix the highest turnover rate in the federal government they have learned that writing unjust punishment serves their own career aspirations much better.

The TSA is just an ok company to work for. It could be so much better but the public's opinion of the agency is horrible

Current Employee - LTSO
    Current Employee - LTSO

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy job, great benefits, opportunity for advancement, great "foot in the door" agency for government work, decent pay

Cons

extremely repetitive, unorganized, hated by the public, inconsistency throughout the organization, reactive not proactive, focused more on customer service than security

Pay more attention to your workforce than you do to the opinions of the public. Proper training of officers could turn public opinions around

TSA- Some good, some bad

Current Employee - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great med/den/vision benefits with part time and full time employment
    -pays well
    -Travel oppurtunity
    -Ability to move states and keep job
    -Meet people from all walks of life and backgrounds
    - very cool training
    - awesome employee events and discounts

Cons

-Supervisors like to micromanage their workers (too many supervisors with power trip)
    -Horrible at organizing officer paperwork
    -Always being tested
    -Not alotted enough time to finish required courses
    -Crazy weird work schedules, difficult if you have kids

Listen to your workforce. We show up everyday ready to work and protect the traveling public, dont make it harder on us by micromanaging the SOP with your own made up rules and preferences while handing out reprimand and guidance letters to us like candy. We know we are the worker bees and we're ok with that but at least back us up the way we back you up.

It has had its ups and downs, but mostly downs.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You cant beat the Federal Health Benefits. If you like a daily challenge of what is going to happen this is the job for you!

Cons

High stress job, very low morale on the screening floor which stems from low morale coming from upper management.

Glass Ceiling at small airports, no room for advancement.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time

Pros

Great government benefits.
    Health Insurance
    Retirement
    Holiday pay
    easy work just see a lot of passengers

Cons

No room for advancement
    a lot of training and you have to re-certify by testing every year.
    work procedures are always changing

listen to the little people.
    treat them well and they will work well.
    work on changing the pay scale to the GS scale.

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Photos

TSA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user jbpics4u All rights reserved.)
TSA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user jbpics4u All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo