TSC Stores

Updated December 20, 2014
3.1

David Roussy

Amazing Place To Grow

Current Employee - Store Manager in Smiths Falls, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Smiths Falls, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have started with this company as a Clerk. Informed them that I was interested in moving up in the company. Within 2 years I now run my own store. This has been one of the best companies I have worked for.

Cons

Working as a Clerk to Sales Manager to Store Manager, the only negative I have noticed was when I was a clerk feeling like I wasn't being recognized for my hard work. It wasn't until I mention my desire to move up in the company is when they said they had been noticed how I worked.

Just for Management to recognize hard working individuals. And understand that everyone does have an out of work life as well.

Pretty good place to be

Current Employee - Team Lead I in Farmington, NM
    Current Employee - Team Lead I in Farmington, NM

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits and pay are good. Small stores big responsabilities

Cons

Lots of things to do if you are dowm a few people the others struggle to cover

Some new managers are trained by those who cannot wait to get to the next store.....lots of pressure to succeed and work cheaply at times

Great growing company with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company offers competitive wages, good benefits and the people are great to work with. People who believe in TSC Stores, work hard and are customer service focussed can be rewarded with lots of opportunities to grow with the company.

Cons

As with all retail, hours can be long and busy at certain times of the year. If you can manage your time wisely, work-life balance should be great.

Better recognition of good work always goes a long way. And keep up the good work.

great company for advancement

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great place to move up in a company, lots of advancement in the near future with the new stores opening. friendly staff and located where the stores should be

Cons

not enough staff on the floor at once, staffing levels are really low thus harder on salaried employees that have to work longer every week to keep up on agendas and deadlines

spend more money on staffing levels as this will help the stores give better customer service and have neat and tidy stores all day every day

Great Place with lots of advancement opportunities!

Current Employee - Senior Management in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Management in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love my job! Great place to work if you are looking at moving up the ladder in retail. Hard work is noticed and compensated fairly.

Cons

Sometimes struggle with Work and family life balance. Can be overwhelming to some.

Overworked and underpaid.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at TSC Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a great group of people. The short day on a Friday is nice (if you can actually leave on time) and the recliners in the lunch room are comfortable to watch the big tv.

Cons

The 37.5 hour salaried work week is a joke. A normal work week is upwards of 45 hours. There is so much rework that needs to be done because upper management is so short-term focused. The salaries are well below the industry average and benefits are terrible. Have to wait a year just to receive dental benefits, even though you pay for it during the entire year. And in terms of leadership, there is none, which creates a very hostile work environment. Turnover is incredibly high. I was told turnover was low in my interview, however, I quickly found out that it was the complete opposite. I do not see a very bright future for TSC Stores.

Take a close look at your employees. You have some very good people working for you but they need to be recognized for the hard work they do.

Understaffed and Cluttered.

I have been working at TSC Stores (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers they all are willing to help out!
    Customers are nice.. If we're not sold out of what they came for.

Cons

No training at all, even for managers.
    Never have enough staff especially for busy holidays.
    Always out of stock, often we don't even get product that is in the flyer.
    Way too much clearance!!
    Old technology for registers, always crashing or freezing.
    No breaks for employees, we often don't have lunch till the shift is just about over.

Increase your staffing budget, customers will be happier if the product is on the shelf not sitting in the back room.
    Stop buying way too much clearance product, it's just filling our stores with clutter and overstock.
    It looks like a garage sale with clearance tables everywhere.
    Train and educate your staff and management team - this will benefit everyone.
    Take a look at how other successful retail companies run. They all have departments with people working in them, not just one or two employees on the floor. Therefore people will take pride in their work and the store will look better and product will be refilled and faced.
    The rover position is extremely hard to do when the store is super busy and extremely short staffed.

Demanding workload with not enough people

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time

Pros

Great team mates, benefits are decent

Cons

Kinda funny that all of a sudden the reviews are getting better on here since head office found out this site existed. It still doesn't change the fact that the stores are constantly short staffed even at this time of year -- too much work for too few people

Spend some more money on payroll -- it will go a long way in increasing sales -- and bring up store appearance.
    Your managers don't like working for free. Yearly bonuses aren't worth ruining the reputation of our stores.

This company recognizes hard workers and provides opportunities!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This growing company is recruiting continuously and promoting internally as well. If you are a good worker then the opportunities will be provided to you!

Cons

Being in retail it is face paced and because retail operates seven days a week during the day and evening it is sometimes challenging to manage work with personal life!

Continue to grow and recognize top performers who contribute to the business.

The Company that lets people live in the country

Current Employee - Director in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

TSC has competitive pay rates by anyone's standards but is also located in places where that pay goes a lot further. they inhabit the small communities that the Big Box retailers usually stay out of, where houses are affordable and life is less hectic.
    This is a company that wants and needs input and, if you're looking to start a career in Retail Management, is an environment where you'll learn lots and find a ton of opportunity

Cons

This isn't the store to work in if you're a city dweller or love retailing things like fine art and high end fashion. We cater "to those who enjoy the country lifestyle" and that means a product assortment based on farming, hunting, fishing and the outdoor life.

Find even more rural towns to locate in. There's 53 locations already, but still a ton of farming towns who'd like their own TSC...