TSC Stores

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Enjoyable Place to Work!

Support Centre (Current Employee)
    London, ON (Canada)

ProsWorking at TSC Stores has been positive experience for me. I enjoy coming in to work each day. My team is very close and I consider my colleagues to be my friends as much as they are my co-workers. To see your company succeed in the most difficult retail environment because of all the hard work that everyone puts in, from the President to the store cashier, is something that makes me very proud to be a part of. I also like working for TSC Store because the brand is well known and well respected in the many communities we are in. I like running into people no matter where I go who when I tell them where I work, they say “I love that store” or they sing the jingle that used to be on the radio!

ConsA lot of moving around within our stores of managers and MIT due to promoting and relocating so sometimes its difficult to remember who is where.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Rapidly plummeting respect for the company.

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Bowmanville, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are no good reasons to work here anymore, unless one is desperate.

ConsIrregular scheduling - when management is approached for more shifts, they confirm and acknowledge the situation, and proceed to slash that employee's shifts or do nothing about it. If an employee comes to you requesting more shifts, and you don't have the legroom to provide, don't lie to them.

High turnover rate - Constantly hiring new employees and spending the whole budget on them with no training. Honestly, there are employees who have been with the company for years who are scheduled less hours than the probationary staff.

Failing to keep up with payroll - Self explanatory. They call you in for shifts, you work them, and they neglect to pay you for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management - Please work out some form of plan to increase the budget to your stores, or downsize. Your managers do not have enough to implement what you are demanding at stores, and the training at store level is nigh-on non existent for most branches.

Great potential for this company. Senior mngmt needs a reality check.

Store Level Management (Current Employee)
    London, ON (Canada)

ProsConcept is sound. Unique product lines. Can be enjoyable at times. Benefits are ok.

ConsRidiculous expectations from senior management. Have to deal with competing egos from DMs. Budget for payroll hours is unrealistic. Stockrooms are often overloaded.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your store management teams have a life outside of the company. 45 to 50 hours is tops. No one needs to be working 60+ hours a week. Your company has good potential, but the DM backstabbing, competing egos and understaffing need to stop.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Disorganized with Poor Direction

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFrom a company standpoint, there are no pros, I did however meet some nice people while working there.

ConsHorrible hours and pay; not enough workers, and not enough trusted workers, to carry out the tasks at hand; upper management is very authoritarian, belittling, and generally out of touch with reality, expecting way too much of managers and giving them more tasks then they can handle; Managers have very little say on what goes on at store level and are not given any real authority with which to do their jobs.

After nearly year of working for this company I decided to leave as my fellow employees were quitting faster than they could be replaced, leaving me with a never ending pile of work. I had also not received my benefits for the entire time I was employed and any training that had to be done was never done in a timely manner. The final nail in the coffin was constantly having to deal with irate customers who were upset over the fact we did not have advertised items in stock or could not find them if we did.

I would urge everyone to look elsewhere for employment before even considering working here...it should be a last resort.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you employees like people, and not like disposable parts of a whole. Decide what this company is all about. Is it a farm store? a hardware store? a clothing store? a toy store? because right now it is all, but none, of these things at the same time. Focus on something and do it right, and once you have figured this out, train your employees properly and accordingly.

TSC Executives need to stop Bullying

Category Manager (Current Employee)
    London, ON (Canada)

ProsStill have a job for another day

ConsExecutive Team needs serious self check. Bullying is common and atmosphere is not healthy.
    Witnessed a few years ago our COO, who is now with Canadian Tire and CMO, corner a category manager on a meeting room and verbally abuse him to the point of tears.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease reflect and give the employees the opportunity to perform, not be Darryl Jenkins personal punching bag.

TSC is getting harder and harder to work for.

Supervisory (Current Employee)

Prosfor the most part the staff easy to get along with, customers are usually pretty nice as long as they can find what they came for.

Consno direction really from the store level, warehouse is overloading the store with merchandise but with no staff to put it out, the place constantly looks a mess. We can't find anything in that mess for sales so we are handing out rainchecks like crazy. The cut to hours has caused rampant theft, horrible customer service, not able to answer phones and low morale. If you were trying to lose our customers to close the store -- you are probably on track with that. The only thing you people are accomplishing is you are making people with good experience look for jobs elsewhere because of low pay and stress in an understaffed environment. In my store alone there is are probably at least 5 people with decent experience and good customer service skills looking for another job. Personally if someone offered me a job tomorrow -- i would probably be gone -- and i have many many years experence. Can you really afford that????????????

Advice to Senior Managementtry working in a store -- you will soon find out everything your are trying to implement can't be done without employees. You need to allot more hours to the stores for payroll. The customers have noticed what you have done with the staffing and they are not happy.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Head office management is in need of serious work

Pros-Good sized store somewhat easy to find product
    -easy to know customers
    -lots of interesting product that is very useful
    - pretty well organized
    -well known locally

Cons-Head office heavily restricts store managers more and more getting to a point where they can't do much to help their store out
    -Not enough hours to get the jobs done that are being assigned, which is leading to the stores warehouses getting messy, disorganized, cluttered and full
    -Dissatisfied customers that could be easily satisfied if employees got proper training with PRODUCT and if the product could actually be found and make it to the floor.
    -MORAL IS LOW

Advice to Senior Management-LISTEN to your part time employees, your store managers, and your customers
    -Losing high dollar farmer customers
    - MORE HOURS
    - TO MAKE MONEY YOU MUST SPEND MONEY

low pay but fun job

Prossteady work, clean buildings with good light , as good as any retail business , flexable hours ., health plan is ok , looks like the company will be around for a while.

Conslow wages and long hours and bad shifts and no room for advancement and no stock or low stock at all times

OK

ProsCompany structure and growth is good

ConsPAY is below standard for retail

Advice to Senior ManagementFAIR

Worked for TSC Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TSC Stores reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by TSC Stores employees.