TSC Stores Reviews

1. Pretty good place to be

Current Employee - Team Lead I in Farmington, NM
    Current Employee - Team Lead I in Farmington, NM

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay are good. Small stores big responsabilities

Cons

Lots of things to do if you are dowm a few people the others struggle to cover

Advice to Management

Some new managers are trained by those who cannot wait to get to the next store.....lots of pressure to succeed and work cheaply at times

An honest assessment of TSC

Current Employee - Analyst in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can see how management is trying to high jack this site to put a positive spin on the company. Here's an honest review. Honestly the store support centre is an overall decent place to work. Everyone is friendly, and that creates a good culture. They do bbqs and other events to keep the culture up. Two weeks of vacation is standard and the pay is in line with the market. Company is very small so it's growing in a retail market that is not. Lots of room for advancement

Cons

This is a company that doesn't struggles with processes. Both from a technical level and a decision making level. On a technical level their systems are out of date, even the MMS/as400 isn't as updated as it could be. You wait 20-30 minutes for something to load from the database. When it comes to decision making.. It's even worse. It's a constant change depending on what the flavour of the week is and depending on if senior management were in the room prior to you. Personal agendas and egos get in the way of change. Processes constantly change for the worse. They offer 3 personal/sick days which is very low for any organization. No training, no training plans for any roles, and no on boarding plan. It's sink or swim. Their training is ask your peer how to do it.

Advice to Management

Spend a little money on bring someone in to streamline processes. It will save time, produce productivity and saves money in the long run. Give more than 3 personal/sick days... That is unacceptable to expect people to come in sick because they used what little they had. Decide on a direction or decision and stick with it. Indecision and reworks lead to more stress and less productivity. How can a company that has 50+ stores not have any training budget or training process for staff. Create an on boarding plan for your employees.

depressing work environment. extreme low employee morale

I worked at TSC Stores

Pros

some opportunity for quick advancement

Cons

unrealistic work expectations. continuous short term focus

5. Amazing Place To Grow

Current Employee - Store Manager in Smiths Falls, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Smiths Falls, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have started with this company as a Clerk. Informed them that I was interested in moving up in the company. Within 2 years I now run my own store. This has been one of the best companies I have worked for.

Cons

Working as a Clerk to Sales Manager to Store Manager, the only negative I have noticed was when I was a clerk feeling like I wasn't being recognized for my hard work. It wasn't until I mention my desire to move up in the company is when they said they had been noticed how I worked.

Advice to Management

Just for Management to recognize hard working individuals. And understand that everyone does have an out of work life as well.

6. Great growing company with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company offers competitive wages, good benefits and the people are great to work with. People who believe in TSC Stores, work hard and are customer service focussed can be rewarded with lots of opportunities to grow with the company.

Cons

As with all retail, hours can be long and busy at certain times of the year. If you can manage your time wisely, work-life balance should be great.

Advice to Management

Better recognition of good work always goes a long way. And keep up the good work.

great company for advancement

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to move up in a company, lots of advancement in the near future with the new stores opening. friendly staff and located where the stores should be

Cons

not enough staff on the floor at once, staffing levels are really low thus harder on salaried employees that have to work longer every week to keep up on agendas and deadlines

Advice to Management

spend more money on staffing levels as this will help the stores give better customer service and have neat and tidy stores all day every day

8. Great Place with lots of advancement opportunities!

Current Employee - Senior Management in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Management in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love my job! Great place to work if you are looking at moving up the ladder in retail. Hard work is noticed and compensated fairly.

Cons

Sometimes struggle with Work and family life balance. Can be overwhelming to some.

Understaffed and Cluttered.

I have been working at TSC Stores (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers they all are willing to help out!
    Customers are nice.. If we're not sold out of what they came for.

Cons

No training at all, even for managers.
    Never have enough staff especially for busy holidays.
    Always out of stock, often we don't even get product that is in the flyer.
    Way too much clearance!!
    Old technology for registers, always crashing or freezing.
    No breaks for employees, we often don't have lunch till the shift is just about over.

Advice to Management

Increase your staffing budget, customers will be happier if the product is on the shelf not sitting in the back room.
    Stop buying way too much clearance product, it's just filling our stores with clutter and overstock.
    It looks like a garage sale with clearance tables everywhere.
    Train and educate your staff and management team - this will benefit everyone.
    Take a look at how other successful retail companies run. They all have departments with people working in them, not just one or two employees on the floor. Therefore people will take pride in their work and the store will look better and product will be refilled and faced.
    The rover position is extremely hard to do when the store is super busy and extremely short staffed.

Overworked and underpaid.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at TSC Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great group of people. The short day on a Friday is nice (if you can actually leave on time) and the recliners in the lunch room are comfortable to watch the big tv.

Cons

The 37.5 hour salaried work week is a joke. A normal work week is upwards of 45 hours. There is so much rework that needs to be done because upper management is so short-term focused. The salaries are well below the industry average and benefits are terrible. Have to wait a year just to receive dental benefits, even though you pay for it during the entire year. And in terms of leadership, there is none, which creates a very hostile work environment. Turnover is incredibly high. I was told turnover was low in my interview, however, I quickly found out that it was the complete opposite. I do not see a very bright future for TSC Stores.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at your employees. You have some very good people working for you but they need to be recognized for the hard work they do.

11. The Company that lets people live in the country

Current Employee - Director in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TSC Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

TSC has competitive pay rates by anyone's standards but is also located in places where that pay goes a lot further. they inhabit the small communities that the Big Box retailers usually stay out of, where houses are affordable and life is less hectic.
    This is a company that wants and needs input and, if you're looking to start a career in Retail Management, is an environment where you'll learn lots and find a ton of opportunity

Cons

This isn't the store to work in if you're a city dweller or love retailing things like fine art and high end fashion. We cater "to those who enjoy the country lifestyle" and that means a product assortment based on farming, hunting, fishing and the outdoor life.

Advice to Management

Find even more rural towns to locate in. There's 53 locations already, but still a ton of farming towns who'd like their own TSC...