TSG Solutions Reviews

1 Rating

1. Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at TSG Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary with career opportunity. Entrepreneur environment. Empower employees to do what is right for them and the company.

Cons

Long work hours with questionable work life balance. Industry is very stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

2. Was good, now has gone downhill

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at TSG Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was initially good. But the ability to travel and see the world for free was awesome! Being able to travel all over Europe and Japan was huge! I've got to experience once in a lifetime experiences. Also the company parties used to be a lot of fun and made me feel appreciated. Also, the software provided is very cool and useful. Feels good to be a part of a safety and security oriented mission.

Cons

I never really received any decent raises. When I moved into a new department, I wasn't given the proper pay, but I dealt with it. It's also funny to see the reviews below because I echo most of their cons. I'm sure I even know the hard working manager mentioned below. He's from the public safety group and, in my honest opinion, the company and its great image to big clients rides on his shoulders. I personally think he's crazy for staying there but to each their own. They're lucky he does! His value would be well rewarded elsewhere. Also, before I officially left the company, they hired a new software manager. Huge set back to the product line. I don't understand 99% of what this manager says...and yes I mean that in multiple ways. The company also let go of all its GIS staff. Another terrible decision. But hey, I also had a 65+ year old technical newbie trying to tell me how to develop software.

Advice to Management

Executives- Consider yourself lucky for having a few people who truly work hard and care. If it wasn't for them, you wouldn't be where you're at now. A little appreciation, especially financially would go a long way. Trust the good management you have, they obviously have a more active role in keeping the company growing.

3. TSG

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at TSG Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to travel was a huge perk. The people you travel is the heart of the company, and what ultimately kept me stay as long as I did.

Cons

If you have technical skills, they may be used here and there, but most likely it will not be utilized.

5. TSG Solutions will be out of business soon.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at TSG Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great place to work. Opportunity to travel the world and steady work.

Cons

Everything started to go downhill after the corporate headquarters was moved to Carlsbad. The new management is clueless and lead by an old retired couple. The digital mapping and public safety division will be gone very, very soon.

Advice to Management

Look into Roth IRA's.

6. Average place to work

Current Employee - Carrier Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TSG Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of good people who work there. The people there are what really make it worth wile. This is the reason I was tempted to stay

Cons

The work is very tedious and monotonous. Lots of micromanagement. Need to trust employees to make their own decisions.

Advice to Management

Help people envision their potential upward progression

Good job for those not seeking too much career-wise

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at TSG Solutions full-time

Pros

Travel opportunity for me was a big PRO since I was single/unmarried at the time. The memories and experiences out in the field (both on the job and off the the job) are priceless if that's your sort of thing. Glaciers in Alaska, tropical Hawaii, exotic European destinations, you name it. The work is super easy. To be honest, I'm surprised they pay even $16-$18 because the work is so easy a caveman can do it. The culture is very casual, as are most employees' personalities, even though some times they try to pretend like they're bigger than they are. People have a sense of humor, and usually it's easy to get along with people although the maturity level in general is relatively low. Not necessarily a bad thing - but be warned if you're an experienced professional or if you desire to be one day. If you're sharp, the work there is so easy you can do more office work than the average person there in less than six hours, then spend the rest of your time learning something else that's actually good for your career on your own. In the field, if you're sharp, you can do your work perhaps 50% faster than everyone else, and then relax, take a break, and then report how much higher your numbers are than everyone else when it's time to regroup. Also, and this can be a pro or con depending how you look at it, most people there are just non-exempt hourly employees and are RESTRICTED to 8 hour days. It's practically a blue-collar type of structure. But, it does force you to stop working. :)

Cons

The job itself doesn't really provide you with any real technical skill. Many employees there think they have some technical skill because they get to touch a little HTML, CSS, XML, JavaScript, TSQL and if they're aggressive perhaps some C#. They'll boast that because they've "been exposed" to those types of things, they are qualified in those type of technologies. This is simply because, technologically speaking, most people there are in this bubble and don't realize that the most advanced thing they do there is really, really rudimentary when viewed against the technology industry as a whole. Perhaps the only person who has real technical knowledge there is the Chief Software Architect who can design, write, and maintain the entire product line all on his own if he wanted to. I mean this both as a testament to the knowledge and skill of the CSA, but also a testament to the relative simplistic nature of their product line. Their product is elegant in concept, but is mostly a bunch of hype. Most of the workforce, therefore, are practically glorified data entry clerks. They may take offense to this comment. But, again, this is because they think they're more prestigious than that due to the bubble they're in. This job is only good for you if you're ok making an average $35k-$45k a year, not gaining any real tangible skill, and are happy simply getting SOME money and doing something that's intellectually simple. If you are career minded, want to do something challenging, and continue to raise your game, this place should be a temporary stop - but consider stopping here for a little while, at least. Many people that I know who left voluntarily (yes, they have had numerous layoffs) left because they realized all of the above and make way more money and do far more amazing work than they could ever have imagined. For example, I left this company less than 5 years ago and now make more than three times what I made at that company, and my work and benefits is far more rewarding. The only thing I miss is the travel. :)

Advice to Management

Not a ton of advice to management. I actually DON'T think you are a bunch bullsh**ers. Your business model is solid, and it's not like you trick employees into working there. You've created "take it or leave it" type of jobs for most employees, and I actually respect that. I also thank you for how hard you've worked to get contracts and keep people employed. Perhaps I'd suggest that the officers of the company should take more time to interface with the grunts more often. Goes a long way IMHO.

Enjoyable Place to Work

Current Employee - Tech in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at TSG Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I'm a newer employee (about 1 year with TSG), I've been extremely pleased with my employment. I've worked at several other companies and I was always unhappy because I felt like I was just a number and never really a person. I never saw any room for growth and I was there to collect a paycheck. Here at TSG, I see room for growth. There are some truly awesome people working there. There is 1 very hard working manager that probably doesn't get enough credit for everything he does, but he has made a direct impact on the employees and holding them accountable and to very high standards. He is the role model I want to follow and I hope others see itas well. TSG has very talented people and I can see why they keep them around. Also, I really enjoy the new office location, as our old location wasn't the best and it was falling apart.

Cons

Some employees tend to stick around too long and don't respect the company or its staff. I wish management would get rid of them and make room for more people who want to be here and want to do the best they can. I would also list travel as a con (because it can be at times). When hired, I was told I may travel up to 3 months out of the year. Within a 1 year timeframe, I'm close to being over that mark and travel sometimes tends to be on holidays. My last small complaint is the fact that I wish we had more interaction with the heads of the company. They're just on the other side of the wall, but we never see them or hear from them.

Advice to Management

Get rid of employees who don't want to be here and do more to keep those that do!

Expendable Workforce

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at TSG Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The service they provide (Digital map and panoramic building tours for first responders) is unique and may save lives. There is a lot of travel with paid flights and hotels. However...

Cons

This is not a company that seems interested in keeping its employees in the long run (The only exception being a small "Inner Circle.") Corporate heads promise company growth, new contracts and future opportunities. When millions were spent on upgraded offices and the acquisition of a new subsidiary, the claim seemed legit until nearly half the operations staff were laid off a month later. This division is the main workforce of the company. It wasn't the first time and most likely not the last. Actual work culture fairs no better. You are given very little feedback on your hard work until you do something wrong. Furthermore, what is right and wrong will differ greatly depending on who is looking. Micromanagement in spades. Intimidation also seems to be a favored method used by management with pep talks that steps on the borderline of verbal abuse. All in all, you never feel appreciated for your hard work, and the minor perks you do get seem to be there to keep you quiet until your inevitable axing.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

A company that has seen much change in the past couple of years seems to be headed in the right direction

I have been working at TSG Solutions full-time

Pros

Work with interesting technology in the security field (Range Services, Cyber, Physical, Risk Management, etc) Relavent products and services Good client list and past performance Nice office spaces and work environment

Cons

Need to get rid of the entitlement babies. There are some here with bad attitudes that try to ruin it for the rest of the team. They need to take their bad attitudes elsewhere but rather than leave, they continue to try to poison those that are here and want to learn and earn an honest living It might help employee motivation if there was some sort of ESPP or stock grant program

Advice to Management

Celebrate those workers that are committed and motivated and remove those who have a rotten attitude

Politics and nepotism

Former Employee - Tech
    Former Employee - Tech

I worked at TSG Solutions full-time

Pros

The travel is nice, as is the opportunity to get a security clearance (if that appeals to you.)

Cons

The positive review ("Enjoyable place to Work") is not honest. I believe it to have actually been written by management or someone aspiring to a promotion. Or perhaps it was written as a between-contracts time-killing assignment. The review titled "Expendable Workforce" is accurate. The product is not actually very useful as a tool for first responders and may not even be used by at least some of the clients. It can be rather demoralizing to feel as if you are wasting huge amounts of time and taxpayer money. The job itself is very easy. Still, a lot of people manage to do a mediocre to terrible job at it. Doing an excellent job won't keep you from being laid off in favor of people who were hired because they were friends of other employees or are engaging in non-professional career development. (Yes, that is what I mean.) The company has way too many "managers" and far too little standardization which makes working here frustrating. In addition, a lot of these managers have difficulty working productively with others, due to poor communication or to lack of respect. Take the job if you are desperate- the benefits are okay (not "excellent" as they claim) but keep looking for something better.

Advice to Management

Management is too dysfunctional to take advice, so I won't bother

RSS Feed </> Embed