TSYS Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.6

TSYS CEO Troy Woods
Troy Woods

Pros
  • work life balance is something the company actually pays attention to (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits with a strong HR department that handles inquiries (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As my time at TSYS progressed, it became quite evident that this is a 'good ole boy' company, stilling operating in a 1980s mindset (in 4 reviews)

• In that time, the middle management levels of the company became too big (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent job security in a market where financial institutions are perforning routine lay-offs. Ethical culture.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job Security; however, salaries are not competetive so there is a trade-off, Opportunity to gain cross functional experience in many areas of the Card Issuing Business that would be impossible to gain outside a very small Financial Institution. . Our Info Security Team is top notch and although restrictions may sometimes feel excessive I feel those constraints are well worth the inconvenience for the sake of protecting data. The culture is such that doing the right thing for the client and end customer is always supported.

Cons

The opportunity to manage teams is not given to those who telecommute full time as management does not believe teams can be successfully managed when tgeographically dispersed. The culture of the company, top to bottom, is such that they do not adapt to new technologies such as WebEx, Live Meeting, etc. to bring together teams working from various locations. Over reliant on face to face meetings internally and with clients. There are peak periods where a lot of extra hours could be required. Desirable leadership positions are often based on personal friendships or family relationships rather than qualifications

The executive management teams are really good people that believe in doing the right thing. However, they need to collaborate better with one another and look for solutions that better the organization - not necessarily grow a particular division. This requires good conflict management. The biggest handicap to this is that our executive team shares a southern culture in which iopen confrontation is considered impolite.. They frown on open conflict resolution and as a result important decisions are significantly delayed.

Great company to work for, especially when making the transition from military to civilian life.

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst Senior  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Client Service Analyst Senior in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything is hit or miss, but this has been a great experience so far. There are good benefits and good people here. People seem to genuinely enjoy coming to work. The salary is fair with the potential for raises based on performance. Training is available and encouraged for new hires, especially those unfamiliar with this industry. There is great work/life balance (your experience will vary based on position, of course) so far, and managers are very conscious that people need time away from work.

Cons

There can be stress based on your position and your level of interaction with clients. There is training offered to familiarize hew hires with the payments industry, but it sometimes falls short when explaining the technical aspects, especially for people without a technical background. It can also take quite a while to develop the knowledge and experience to understand the exceptionally complex processes the payments industry employs. Personal and career growth can be elusive for those extremely unfamiliar with this industry.

Continue focusing on people-centered payments, where people are your employees as well as your clients.

Fast paced, great learning experiences, overall good company to work for.

Former Employee - Collections  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Collections in Columbus, GA

I worked at TSYS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, bonuses, secure work environment, excellent training.

Cons

Lack of knowledgeable supervisors and some favoritism. Company does not like when an employee files FMLA . Did not have empathy regarding my severely ill toddler. Had to request my 90 day review several times and did not get in until I was there almost a year. Hard to get raises even if you are the best on the team.

Supervisor should be monitored better. System should be in place that holds supervisors responsible if employee assessments are not done in a timely manner. Also do not pay new inexperienced employees more than what you are paying the person that has experience and is training them

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A people focused company. TSYS cares about its employees and clients.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is always room for growth. If you are a committed, hardworking individual you will find an area that you are passionate about at TSYS and will enjoy coming to work every day,

Cons

Always lots of work. I see this as a good problem!

Flexible company with a good future, but career advancement can be difficult.

Current Employee - Business Analyst Senior  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Senior in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TSYS encourages work/life balance by offering flexible work arrangements including remote work, alternative work hours, and job sharing. I'm able to work from home if my child is sick or I'm waiting on a repairman, etc. The benefits are good, but I wish maternity leave was longer than the minimum 6 weeks required to meet FMLA regulations. There is a childcare subsidy through the company's partnership with Bright Horizons. Overall, it's a great company if you have a family. TSYS is an industry leader, and I'm confident about the future of the company.

Cons

Upper level positions are occupied by people who have been with the company from its start 30 years ago. There is no overall effort to find and develop young talent. You really have to be lucky or know the right people to make the jump to leadership from being an individual contributor.

Promote due to talent and potential, not simply due to time with the company or "who you know." Women and minorities could be better represented in the top level of leadership. Seems to be a "good ole boy" club at the top.

Great people, great location, slow advancement

Current Employee - Technical Writer Specialist  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer Specialist in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TSYS basically defines job security: so long as you're not a jerk and you more or less do your job, you will eventually reach a place that seems a lot like tenure, in which you cannot get fired. They also value work life balance quite a bit, so having kids and working at TSYS works out well.

Cons

On the downside, that tenure thing has filled the company with a lot of dead weight: people who don't work that hard, don't push or challenge, and actively prevent any kind of change. Compensation is pretty terrible.

Take a good hard look at the people at the bottom of the chain. Stop promoting hard workers into management and leaving the roles that actually do the work filled with people who are just waiting on retirement.

TSYS is a great company, providing wonderful benefits for it's team members!

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company values each team member. Team members and management treat each other like family. We rally together during the good times and during the bad times.

Cons

Keeping up with the fast pace. Clients need everything immediately, but we as consumers have created that mindset. We want everything now and perfect!

Great pay for young people

Former Employee - Chargeback Specialist  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Chargeback Specialist in Columbus, GA

I worked at TSYS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are very reasonable, Pay rate is good for young people in their mid 20's or early 30's

Cons

lack of assistance from your leadership, too many rules

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Software Analyst Senior  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Software Analyst Senior in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy working for TSYS because of the opportunities that have been presented to me over the course of my career (which is a little over 7 years)

Cons

Some of the main challenges, which TSYS is trying to overcome are the encapsulation of the different teams. There still seems to be "silo" type of mentality.

No job will ever be perfect, but TSYS is truly a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Client Server Software Analyst  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Server Software Analyst in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been with TSYS just over ten years now, and while they certainly have issues (just like every other company out there), overall, I have been very satisfied. They executive management truly cares about the employees and the success of the company as a whole. The beneftis packages are fair; not the best I've ever had, but certainly better than most. The company is also very flexible as far as work locations and schedules which is extremely valuable to me personally. TSYS also has an eye toward the future, and is doing everything it can to stay viable through innovation.

Cons

Let's just be honest, nobody is ever going to think they make enough money, and everybody thinks they deserve a promotion. TSYS pays fairly, but they are not going to make you rich most likely. There is a lot of competition for promotions and pay increases, so you're not going to fly up the company ladder like you could potentially do with a young, upstart company. This is an established company, and you're going to have to be patient.

Be more diligent in hiring better managers. Hire people that both good people skills and good business skills. Don't just give management to the longest tenured team members. Other than that, keep doing what you are doing!

Worked for TSYS? Contribute to the Community!