TSYS

TSYS Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

TSYS Chairman of the Board & CEO Philip W. Tomlinson

Philip W. Tomlinson

Pros:
  • "Good Salary and excellent work life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good environment, Excellent place to learn, Never gets boring and financially stable"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "In that time, the middle management levels of the company became too big"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Not managed very well by senior management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid company that has been around a long time.

I have been working at TSYS

ProsLarge company. Really good pay. Insurance benefits are really good as well with relatively low medical premiums and deductibles. Casual attire everyday.

ConsI wish they had a telecommute option. So far they are only looking at a one day a week telecommute option. I'm only getting started so I don't have much input.

Nice Experience

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
Columbus, GA

I worked at TSYS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood upper management and plenty of opportunity to advance. I was able to more than double my salary in 5 years.

ConsPay was a bit on the low side. More office politics than I would like. Lower management in my department was not very good and we went through three managers in 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was able to talk to upper management directly. He was very accessible and when I made my case for my career goals he made it happen on the spot. I couldn't ask for more.

Unfortunately, very disappointing.

I have been working at TSYS

ProsIt is a great company to begin your career with. Great exposure to the financial sector/IT work, as well as a good company to put on your resume.

ConsI started out with great hopes and aspirations for beginning my career at a respectable company. Coming to TSYS, I had not had any previous IT experience or real work experience (excluding internships). As my time at TSYS progressed, it became quite evident that this is a 'good ole boy' company, stilling operating in a 1980s mindset. Pay is notoriously horrible and management can be very unprofessional. I've found no great level of satisfaction or accomplishment in any of my projects/initiatives; and the bureaucracy in every aspect of my day-to-day activities is exhausting. Trained animals can perform the work that is required here. I dread going to work. Columbus is an embarrassingly backwards, dangerous town; but with such little pay it's hard to move elsewhere. Additionally, people on the business side of things are really quite dumb for the most part. Favoritism is blatantly acted out and rewarded. I would not recommend this place for people not from Columbus.

Advice to Senior ManagementMid-manager and senior managers need to make firm decisions. No should mean no, and yes should mean yes.

Programmer Analyst

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
Columbus, GA

I worked at TSYS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFairly stable company. Pay and benefits are satisfactory at best. Commuting to and from work is good in the Columbus area unless a person lives to the northwest. Can be a very long term employee if you keep your aptitude level at no more or less than an average level and don't rock the boat.

ConsHave gone off the deep end with efficiency. That means the best people are badly overworked and leave the company. Turnover is above 20% per year. Many leave due to health problems due to the toxic environment (micromanagement, back-stabbing, and poor decision making of middle management). Egos out of control at the director level and above. Cronyism is a huge problem. Management is old school in the wrong ways. Too much emphasis on seniority and not enough on competence. North Data Center and East Data Center employees don't get the benefits that the downtown employees get.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some new blood at the upper management level. Need a great deal of new blood at the director levels and above. Less emphasis on years of service, and more emphasis on skills needed for the job needed. Pay more attention to the employee survey.

Ambivalent

Information Technology (Current Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery few choices in locale

ConsTech company without tech direction

Advice to Senior ManagementTime will right ship

From Inspiration To Desperation

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTSYS offers job stability if you are reasonably competent in your job and content with extreme forms of micromanagement, bureaucracy and downright abusive supervisor.

ConsFor every hour of work an average of two to three hours will be needed in dealing with bureaucracy, micro manager and abusive supervisor. I have been with TSYS for over a decade and it has gotten progressively worse despite the call of senior management to cut the red tapes repeatedly. I must conclude that there is a disconnect between the calls of sr. management and mid-level managers / supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more drastic actions based on feedback of annual employee survey. For example move your incompetent mid-level managers / supervisors out of the leadership role and put them to work as foot soldiers.

Great company to work for. Really enjoyed it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TSYS

ProsGrowing company with lots of lateral opportunities

ConsStagnant management - hard to to break through existing hierarchy

learn lot of things

Senior Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at TSYS as a contractor for more than a year

Prosgood place to learn and

Consno comments on that good

WORK EXPERIENCE

Senior BA (Former Employee)
Alpharetta, GA

I worked at TSYS full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is nothing worth stating.

ConsFavoritism, Cliques-filled environment, no regard to employee's experience or personal life are some of the appropriate descriptions for the work environment in this company. Time spent in employment with this company is the time wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop favoring manipulative employees and look around. You will find some of the best talents you will have ever come across in your lifetime.

If you are reasonably competent and patient with imbeciles, you will shine!

Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than a year

ProsGood opportunities for new professionals, low-pressure work environment most of the time, upper management makes an effort to show that they value the little guy. Friendly people, for the most part.

ConsUnfortunately the aforementioned efforts are largely lip-service and token gestures meant to stave off high turnover among young professionals. Favoritism is fairly blatant, and this is coming from someone who was receiving the favoritism. Lots of incompetent people have risen to the top simply by outlasting their peers. Middle management is micro-managed, which leads them to micro-manage their people on mundane and inconsequential tasks while leading out of fear. Most of my assignments at TSYS made me feel like I was rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Individual thought and initiative are discouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at your mid/upper level managers and evaluate if they are enabling your employees to add value to the company or just being roadblocks. Then get rid of the roadblocks.

Worked for TSYS? Contribute to the Community!

TSYS Videos

TSYS – Why Work for Us?

Drop off your business card! Interested in working with TSYS and don't see your dream job? We are opening new positions daily, and the best way to say informed is to join our talent network. Just tell us a bit about… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TSYS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TSYS CEO Philip W. Tomlinson. All 119 reviews posted anonymously by TSYS employees.