TSYS Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
3.6

TSYS CEO Troy Woods
Troy Woods

Pros
  • work life balance is something the company actually pays attention to (in 24 reviews)

• There are good benefits and good people here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As my time at TSYS progressed, it became quite evident that this is a 'good ole boy' company, stilling operating in a 1980s mindset (in 6 reviews)

• some environments are on the 'good 'ole boy' program (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent job security in a market where financial institutions are perforning routine lay-offs. Ethical culture.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job Security; however, salaries are not competetive so there is a trade-off, Opportunity to gain cross functional experience in many areas of the Card Issuing Business that would be impossible to gain outside a very small Financial Institution. . Our Info Security Team is top notch and although restrictions may sometimes feel excessive I feel those constraints are well worth the inconvenience for the sake of protecting data. The culture is such that doing the right thing for the client and end customer is always supported.

Cons

The opportunity to manage teams is not given to those who telecommute full time as management does not believe teams can be successfully managed when tgeographically dispersed. The culture of the company, top to bottom, is such that they do not adapt to new technologies such as WebEx, Live Meeting, etc. to bring together teams working from various locations. Over reliant on face to face meetings internally and with clients. There are peak periods where a lot of extra hours could be required. Desirable leadership positions are often based on personal friendships or family relationships rather than qualifications

The executive management teams are really good people that believe in doing the right thing. However, they need to collaborate better with one another and look for solutions that better the organization - not necessarily grow a particular division. This requires good conflict management. The biggest handicap to this is that our executive team shares a southern culture in which iopen confrontation is considered impolite.. They frown on open conflict resolution and as a result important decisions are significantly delayed.

Love the culture tsys is trying to implement

Former Employee - Senior Internet Developer  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Internet Developer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at TSYS as a contractor

Pros

Tsys is trying to foster an engineering culture and doing a pretty good job at creating a silicone valley like environment in the south. Agile processes, engineering challenges, free food, video game competitions, free flowing ideas, latest technology and decent work life balance.

Cons

Because of the nature of their products, access to the internet or any outside environment is very restrictive. Management needs to provide clear direction for the engineering & QA teams.

I understand the process in an agile environment is iterative, but management needs to make sure the teams clearly understand the changes the moment they happen.

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Systems Software Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Software Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than a year

Pros

First company that I have ever worked for where I want to show up on Monday morning! I've been with TSYS for over a year and it truly is a great place to work. The amount of training that they have available to us is unbelievable. Learning my job is difficult because they don't teach mainframe in college too much anymore, but with all of the classes that I have taken it has made learning everything I need to know a lot easier to grasp.

Cons

I honestly haven't found any.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very pleased so far.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TSYS full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came from a company that was hands on, micro manage. Everything was Monday morning quarterbacking. I've only been here a brief time but this is like night and day. I feel like I'm now working for a company that not only trust you but is there anytime you have a need, want or question. Everyone I've met so far is willing and able to help you succeed. The pay may not be the best in this industry but to fix that just go sell something. I could not be happier working for another company so far. I hope my attitude never changes.

Cons

I have no cons yet. Management and every team member I've met so far are great. Everybody has a good positive attitude.

Keep up the good work.

Great company to work for, especially when making the transition from military to civilian life.

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst Senior  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Client Service Analyst Senior in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything is hit or miss, but this has been a great experience so far. There are good benefits and good people here. People seem to genuinely enjoy coming to work. The salary is fair with the potential for raises based on performance. Training is available and encouraged for new hires, especially those unfamiliar with this industry. There is great work/life balance (your experience will vary based on position, of course) so far, and managers are very conscious that people need time away from work.

Cons

There can be stress based on your position and your level of interaction with clients. There is training offered to familiarize hew hires with the payments industry, but it sometimes falls short when explaining the technical aspects, especially for people without a technical background. It can also take quite a while to develop the knowledge and experience to understand the exceptionally complex processes the payments industry employs. Personal and career growth can be elusive for those extremely unfamiliar with this industry.

Continue focusing on people-centered payments, where people are your employees as well as your clients.

Fast paced, great learning experiences, overall good company to work for.

Former Employee - Collections  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Collections in Columbus, GA

I worked at TSYS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, bonuses, secure work environment, excellent training.

Cons

Lack of knowledgeable supervisors and some favoritism. Company does not like when an employee files FMLA . Did not have empathy regarding my severely ill toddler. Had to request my 90 day review several times and did not get in until I was there almost a year. Hard to get raises even if you are the best on the team.

Supervisor should be monitored better. System should be in place that holds supervisors responsible if employee assessments are not done in a timely manner. Also do not pay new inexperienced employees more than what you are paying the person that has experience and is training them

A people focused company. TSYS cares about its employees and clients.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is always room for growth. If you are a committed, hardworking individual you will find an area that you are passionate about at TSYS and will enjoy coming to work every day,

Cons

Always lots of work. I see this as a good problem!

Culture of The Heart Has Never Changed

Current Employee - Director  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employees well being is foremost and considered over work. There is a lot of opportunity to grow. The open door policy goes all the way to Troy Woods the CEO.
    The people that work in the company feel more like family than co-workers. I have been in Corporate America and this company no matter how big still cares about the little guy and our clients.

Cons

Communication can be slow at times getting it out to everyone and the other con is that the employees equipment is the latest technology and you think it would be if we are a technology company.

Don't ever lose what we are able to do for individuals in need as that is our best charector trait.
    Keep doing what is right for the client, company, and employee because we have core values
    Let's look at investing in the latest tools that are of course security is in place but we follow our clients and we should be leading.

Flexible company with a good future, but career advancement can be difficult.

Current Employee - Business Analyst Senior  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Senior in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TSYS encourages work/life balance by offering flexible work arrangements including remote work, alternative work hours, and job sharing. I'm able to work from home if my child is sick or I'm waiting on a repairman, etc. The benefits are good, but I wish maternity leave was longer than the minimum 6 weeks required to meet FMLA regulations. There is a childcare subsidy through the company's partnership with Bright Horizons. Overall, it's a great company if you have a family. TSYS is an industry leader, and I'm confident about the future of the company.

Cons

Upper level positions are occupied by people who have been with the company from its start 30 years ago. There is no overall effort to find and develop young talent. You really have to be lucky or know the right people to make the jump to leadership from being an individual contributor.

Promote due to talent and potential, not simply due to time with the company or "who you know." Women and minorities could be better represented in the top level of leadership. Seems to be a "good ole boy" club at the top.

Great people, great location, slow advancement

Current Employee - Technical Writer Specialist  in  Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer Specialist in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TSYS basically defines job security: so long as you're not a jerk and you more or less do your job, you will eventually reach a place that seems a lot like tenure, in which you cannot get fired. They also value work life balance quite a bit, so having kids and working at TSYS works out well.

Cons

On the downside, that tenure thing has filled the company with a lot of dead weight: people who don't work that hard, don't push or challenge, and actively prevent any kind of change. Compensation is pretty terrible.

Take a good hard look at the people at the bottom of the chain. Stop promoting hard workers into management and leaving the roles that actually do the work filled with people who are just waiting on retirement.

Worked for TSYS? Contribute to the Community!