TSYS

Updated January 27, 2015
3.4

TSYS CEO Troy Woods
Troy Woods

Pros
  • work life balance is something the company actually pays attention to (in 26 reviews)

• There are good benefits and good people here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As my time at TSYS progressed, it became quite evident that this is a 'good ole boy' company, stilling operating in a 1980s mindset (in 6 reviews)

• some environments are on the 'good 'ole boy' program (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at TSYS

Pros

Great place to work in Columbus,ga

Cons

ex military management present, need to say yes sir

care middle level managers always

TSYS rating

I have been working at TSYS

Pros

Good team members and facility

Cons

MAnagament, pay, and politics, playing favorites

Overall, it's an OK place to work

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, good/flexible work arrangements (i.e. - working from home, flex hours, etc). They're pretty understanding when life happens, and you need to go take care of something away from work. This may not be the case everywhere, but in my area it is.

Cons

Salaries aren't that competitive. Advancement doesn't seem to happen a lot. You might move from a level 1 to a level 2, or a level 2 to a senior w/in 2-4 years, but getting to a lead or management level is extremely difficult. At least it is in the IT area (which is the majority of the company).

Quit being so slow to promote from within.

It's been a great experience. I work on a with wonderful team members and we have a wonderfil management team.

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pretty much everything. Management works hard to make sure that we maintain a healthy work/life balance. The company is undergoing a pay restructure process to get company salaries competitive. TSYS is very involved in improving the community.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of. Perhaps even HIGHER salaries :)

You are on the right track. Thanks for valuing your employees. I really feel like I work for a company that cares about me. Thanks!!!

Merchant Services is poorly managed at the top.

Current Employee - Merchant Advocate in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Merchant Advocate in Remote, OR

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good managers in the field and decent pricing options to offer merchants.

Cons

No support internally and no management within sales support group.

Support your sales team and provide some direction from the top instead of just worrying about what's been entered in Salesforce.

Great Company, pay a little low however.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work life balance is excellent. The relationships with people there are great. Job security is excellent and company outlook is good.

Cons

The pay is a little low for the amount of work required. Compared to the national average the pay is sub par.

Business Analyst Sr

I worked at TSYS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Individual Benefits
    Personal Time was family friendly
    Job duties were basically stress free

Cons

Work was basically stress free but not very satisfying
    Growth opportunities were not available in the area I worked in
    Managers can keep you from being allowed to post for other positions that may be a growth opportunity

Encourage team members and allow them to grow as professionals

Work was good, until I was threatened; then the company retaliated

Former Employee - Senior Internet Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Internet Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at TSYS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Progressive technologies
    - fast advancement
    - "work-life" balance
    - lots of technologies (old and new) to explore and grow for professional gain

Cons

- work-remote opportunities are sparse and inflexible
    - management is stiff about office presence instead of finding suitable work-arounds for people with challenging situations
    - turnover is excessively high: in the last 12 months, 8 people hired in my department and only 2 remain, not including me.
    - infosec is not trusting of development, so research and hotfix resources are limited
    - on-call procedures are not well-defined, so 2am problems are more problematic due to everyone on the phone with their hair on fire and no idea what to do

1) Find ways to hold middle-management accountable for when things go wrong.

I made a claim in good-faith that a manager threatened my job, she belittled and intimidated me, turning TSYS into a hostile work environment.

The company proceeded to retaliate against me by severing me from the project, denying me a raise, and writing me up on petty performance issues shortly after my report. I NEVER received a write-up on performance until after my report to HR...

The company made it clear that these kinds of behaviours are not only acceptable, but HR will protect managers, especially when they belittle and intimidate their employees. This manager who threatened me wasn't even MY manager, mind you!

This is not an institution I would recommend without severe scrutiny against middle-management and their tactics to take responsibility for claims made in good-faith. I don't see the integrity behind the statement "We have a strict no-retaliation policy" when HR did just that.

2) Find ways to allow for more employee growth
    A big complaint I heard was that TSYS is relatively flat.
    I was skeptical until I saw that there are basically 3 bars or levels of rank: worker, manager and leadership.
    Advancement is nearly impossible without establishing long-term relationships with upper-rank members and becoming "apart of the family". You have to know somebody to be something at this company. There should be places where employees who really stand out among the others can advance at least a little on paper and feel better about themselves.

3) Invite more work-remote opportunities
    TSYS has support for work-remote resources and is sorely missing the use of them. Managers are excessively routine about ensuring employees make an every-day face-to-face experience. Alternate solutions are available to provide workarounds for the sake of the business. Instead, the company feels it important to spend those resources ensuring all get to the office each day. Allow more flexibility, and you might find an increase in productivity!

Great

I worked at TSYS

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

No cons to say about this company.

N/A

Good Ole Boys Network - Implosion upon them!

Current Employee - Merchant Advocate in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Merchant Advocate in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company itself has a great history in the industry. I truly thought it could be saved before it was run into the ground.

Cons

A great company with the best values began falling into the ways of the competition by charging fees and opting merchants into products following a short "free trial" period. Lots of smoke and mirrors brings lots of unearned revenue for the company. NO direction from management but lots of finger pointing at poor production. The merchants are leaving quicker than they can sign new ones.

Listen to your people on the street. They truly do know better than you what is working and what isn't. Make tough decisions even if you hurt a few feelings every now and then. Take a stand against what you know is wrong and make it better.