TSYS Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.7

TSYS CEO Troy Woods
Troy Woods

Pros
  • work life balance is something the company actually pays attention to (in 25 reviews)

• There are good benefits and good people here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As my time at TSYS progressed, it became quite evident that this is a 'good ole boy' company, stilling operating in a 1980s mindset (in 6 reviews)

• some environments are on the 'good 'ole boy' program (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Extraordinary culture and people

Current Employee - Associate Project Director in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Project Director in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company and leadership walk the talk. There is a sustained emphasis on improving culture and making the company an outstanding place to work. People care and do a great job. Many years of knowledge position this company to remain an industry leader.

Cons

Acquisitions have caused segmented groups that need to be consolidated to gain efficiencies. Pay is simply not competitive. It wouldn't be unheard of for someone to get an offer elsewhere in excess of a 30-40k difference. The company has to address this.

My only advice is to get a competitive bonus structure in place, Grant more options and please please please take the plunge and get the salaries competitive for those worth keeping. Your top talent is recruited by other companies due to it being known on the street that salaries aren't competitive enough.

Great company, everybody works as a Team player in every process or business project, no is left out in the process when it come getting done..

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's help avalable, as a team player, everyone is a key part in the company over all goals to getting the work done..

Cons

If your not a Team player, then your isolating yourself...

Continue to promote TeamPlayers and have Great Team Leaders..

Love the culture tsys is trying to implement

Former Employee - Senior Internet Developer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Internet Developer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at TSYS as a contractor

Pros

Tsys is trying to foster an engineering culture and doing a pretty good job at creating a silicone valley like environment in the south. Agile processes, engineering challenges, free food, video game competitions, free flowing ideas, latest technology and decent work life balance.

Cons

Because of the nature of their products, access to the internet or any outside environment is very restrictive. Management needs to provide clear direction for the engineering & QA teams.

I understand the process in an agile environment is iterative, but management needs to make sure the teams clearly understand the changes the moment they happen.

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Systems Software Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Software Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First company that I have ever worked for where I want to show up on Monday morning! I've been with TSYS for over a year and it truly is a great place to work. The amount of training that they have available to us is unbelievable. Learning my job is difficult because they don't teach mainframe in college too much anymore, but with all of the classes that I have taken it has made learning everything I need to know a lot easier to grasp.

Cons

I honestly haven't found any.

N/A

All about who you know

I have been working at TSYS full-time

Pros

Anyone with a pulse can work here

Cons

They're more worried about the Great Place to Work survey than actually making it a great place to work! The pay can be insulting but the promotion practices are the worst! If you're white or know someone, you might be able to get promoted in time

Good company for the area.

I have been working at TSYS full-time

Pros

Good health benefits and nice corporate environment.

Cons

Salary increases minimal but they are working on it.

Compensate good employees with better pay.

Good company for white males

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

TSYS believes in a work/family balance. They have recently implemented a formal flexible work arrangement that includes work from home opportunities as well as flexible schedules. It is a fast paced environment and can be an excellent learning opportunity for someone starting a career.

Cons

TSYS has a very strong good old boys network. Women and other minorities have little opportunity for advancement. I could not recommend my company to a potential minority candidate who was looking to advance at TSYS. In the last 6 months I have seen 3 women whose senior director positions were eliminated. The work for which they had been responsible was transferred to white males. TSYS likes to tout diversity as a company value but you find little diversity in the upper levels of the company including in the Board of Directors.

Admit that you have an issue in promoting minorities into leadership and make a plan to address this weakness. Women and other minorities are an untapped resource in our company.

Excellent job security in a market where financial institutions are perforning routine lay-offs. Ethical culture.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security; however, salaries are not competetive so there is a trade-off, Opportunity to gain cross functional experience in many areas of the Card Issuing Business that would be impossible to gain outside a very small Financial Institution. . Our Info Security Team is top notch and although restrictions may sometimes feel excessive I feel those constraints are well worth the inconvenience for the sake of protecting data. The culture is such that doing the right thing for the client and end customer is always supported.

Cons

The opportunity to manage teams is not given to those who telecommute full time as management does not believe teams can be successfully managed when tgeographically dispersed. The culture of the company, top to bottom, is such that they do not adapt to new technologies such as WebEx, Live Meeting, etc. to bring together teams working from various locations. Over reliant on face to face meetings internally and with clients. There are peak periods where a lot of extra hours could be required. Desirable leadership positions are often based on personal friendships or family relationships rather than qualifications

The executive management teams are really good people that believe in doing the right thing. However, they need to collaborate better with one another and look for solutions that better the organization - not necessarily grow a particular division. This requires good conflict management. The biggest handicap to this is that our executive team shares a southern culture in which iopen confrontation is considered impolite.. They frown on open conflict resolution and as a result important decisions are significantly delayed.

Very pleased so far.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TSYS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I came from a company that was hands on, micro manage. Everything was Monday morning quarterbacking. I've only been here a brief time but this is like night and day. I feel like I'm now working for a company that not only trust you but is there anytime you have a need, want or question. Everyone I've met so far is willing and able to help you succeed. The pay may not be the best in this industry but to fix that just go sell something. I could not be happier working for another company so far. I hope my attitude never changes.

Cons

I have no cons yet. Management and every team member I've met so far are great. Everybody has a good positive attitude.

Keep up the good work.

Great company to work for, but like any large employer it does have some idiosyncracies.

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is proud of it's family-like culture, has a great reputation in the industry, and does have good facilities. Good room for growth through excellent training opportunities, and room for advacement if you are willing to move from job-to-job. Plenty of travel available, in the right positions. Southern charm.

Cons

Typical southern good-ole-boy mentality is alive and well, although diminishing a bit. Compensation is not up to industry standards, but good for the area. Communication throughout the ranks could be better, but that is probably a con for almost all large companies.

Improve communication and keep your words trustworthy. Look at issues with open eyes and minds, less assumptions.