TSYS

Updated December 23, 2014
3.4

TSYS CEO Troy Woods
Troy Woods

Pros
  • work life balance is something the company actually pays attention to (in 26 reviews)

• There are good benefits and good people here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As my time at TSYS progressed, it became quite evident that this is a 'good ole boy' company, stilling operating in a 1980s mindset (in 6 reviews)

• some environments are on the 'good 'ole boy' program (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Has potential, but needs to change

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At a team level, it's a great place to work, with a good atmosphere and good people. There is flexibility to work from home if you need to, the start time can be flexible dependent on your role, and the company continued to grow.

Cons

The biggest problem is the very US focused senior management team, who rarely show up in Europe, and seem to be more interested in growing their stock options than in moving the company in the right direction. At a senior level, it is all about politicking and having the right friends than about ability and talent. TSYS is on the verge of moving to an organisation where the good people all leave, and all that is left are the no-hopers and poor workers.

Introduce some senior execs with International (that is, know that a world exists outside of Columbus) experience who can truly make the company a world player.

Good Ole Boys Network - Implosion upon them!

Current Employee - Merchant Advocate in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Merchant Advocate in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company itself has a great history in the industry. I truly thought it could be saved before it was run into the ground.

Cons

A great company with the best values began falling into the ways of the competition by charging fees and opting merchants into products following a short "free trial" period. Lots of smoke and mirrors brings lots of unearned revenue for the company. NO direction from management but lots of finger pointing at poor production. The merchants are leaving quicker than they can sign new ones.

Listen to your people on the street. They truly do know better than you what is working and what isn't. Make tough decisions even if you hurt a few feelings every now and then. Take a stand against what you know is wrong and make it better.

It's been a great experience. I work on a with wonderful team members and we have a wonderfil management team.

I have been working at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty much everything. Management works hard to make sure that we maintain a healthy work/life balance. The company is undergoing a pay restructure process to get company salaries competitive. TSYS is very involved in improving the community.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of. Perhaps even HIGHER salaries :)

You are on the right track. Thanks for valuing your employees. I really feel like I work for a company that cares about me. Thanks!!!

ISD II

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)

I worked at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, great people

Cons

Less onsite opportunity, management system is not transparent

Give promotions

Shamefully hostile and insecure environment

Former Employee - Senior UI Developer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior UI Developer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at TSYS as a contractor

Pros

- A pay check
    - I genuinely cant think of another characteristic to consider as a pro

Cons

- Being berated amongst by your manager your. peers based on he-said she-said information. This happened to myself and I witnessed it happen to others on a regular basis.
    - Office politics that rival highschool
    - A codebase that is ridden with super sloppy spaghetti code that nobody is willing to even recognize, let alone address.
    - Not being told the end date of my contract, until the week after the actual date. (I actually worked a half day the following week and learned the fact in a very humiliating way)

Business Analyst Sr

I worked at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Individual Benefits
    Personal Time was family friendly
    Job duties were basically stress free

Cons

Work was basically stress free but not very satisfying
    Growth opportunities were not available in the area I worked in
    Managers can keep you from being allowed to post for other positions that may be a growth opportunity

Encourage team members and allow them to grow as professionals

TSYS/ProPay = Terrible

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Lehi, UT

I worked at TSYS

Pros

Great benefits, good work life balance, good salary.

Cons

Oh jeez where to start, worst company ever to work at! The IT/Dev department is a train wreck of egos and complete lack of true direction. The IT/Dev leadership are unwilling to support true training and growth opportunities and continually ignore the advice of their senior developers. There are a few good people but it seems most have given up trying to actually care and are there to get a paycheck and know they won't be fired since they seem to be the only one's willing to put up with the situation. Terrible!

ProPay in Lehi, UT is a mess. Just continue your plan to outsource it, at least you'll save money; but for the sake of the next guys stop hiring IT talent in Utah!

Felt like jail

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA

I have been working at TSYS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Don't work holidays
    There is always an event

Cons

Sit at a cube all day, rarely get to enjoy the events, very unorganized, can't have phone or purse

Work was good, until I was threatened; then the company retaliated

Former Employee - Senior Internet Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Internet Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Progressive technologies
    - fast advancement
    - "work-life" balance
    - lots of technologies (old and new) to explore and grow for professional gain

Cons

- work-remote opportunities are sparse and inflexible
    - management is stiff about office presence instead of finding suitable work-arounds for people with challenging situations
    - turnover is excessively high: in the last 12 months, 8 people hired in my department and only 2 remain, not including me.
    - infosec is not trusting of development, so research and hotfix resources are limited
    - on-call procedures are not well-defined, so 2am problems are more problematic due to everyone on the phone with their hair on fire and no idea what to do

1) Find ways to hold middle-management accountable for when things go wrong.

I made a claim in good-faith that a manager threatened my job, she belittled and intimidated me, turning TSYS into a hostile work environment.

The company proceeded to retaliate against me by severing me from the project, denying me a raise, and writing me up on petty performance issues shortly after my report. I NEVER received a write-up on performance until after my report to HR...

The company made it clear that these kinds of behaviours are not only acceptable, but HR will protect managers, especially when they belittle and intimidate their employees. This manager who threatened me wasn't even MY manager, mind you!

This is not an institution I would recommend without severe scrutiny against middle-management and their tactics to take responsibility for claims made in good-faith. I don't see the integrity behind the statement "We have a strict no-retaliation policy" when HR did just that.

2) Find ways to allow for more employee growth
    A big complaint I heard was that TSYS is relatively flat.
    I was skeptical until I saw that there are basically 3 bars or levels of rank: worker, manager and leadership.
    Advancement is nearly impossible without establishing long-term relationships with upper-rank members and becoming "apart of the family". You have to know somebody to be something at this company. There should be places where employees who really stand out among the others can advance at least a little on paper and feel better about themselves.

3) Invite more work-remote opportunities
    TSYS has support for work-remote resources and is sorely missing the use of them. Managers are excessively routine about ensuring employees make an every-day face-to-face experience. Alternate solutions are available to provide workarounds for the sake of the business. Instead, the company feels it important to spend those resources ensuring all get to the office each day. Allow more flexibility, and you might find an increase in productivity!

Fun, but definitely a gateway for experience, not to be thought of as a career.

Former Employee - Resolutions in Coventry, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Resolutions in Coventry, England (UK)

I worked at TSYS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some great personalities there and I made some great friendships, there is also a lot of people coming and going which keeps things interesting.

Cons

Poor management structure, poor employee benefits, poor HR department, no progression

I could not provide you with enough advise in this text box, re-employ me as a manager and I will help you through this obvious tough time.