TUI Travel

Be The First To
Add Photos

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long

Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic(in 3 reviews)

• international working environment(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted(in 4 reviews)

• Firstly location (Luton - need I say more)(in 4 reviews)

THE BEST TRAVEL INDUSTRY EMPLOYER

Travel Adviser (Former Employee) Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

ProsGood Salary
    Fantastic product
    Easy to use system
    Great training program
    Beautiful destinations
    Good staff offers
    Easy working environment
    Amazing team and manager

ConsMystery shoppers are probably one of the hardest things to deal with as they really stress you out and you feel unnatural serving when knowing they are going to come.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining was great when I started and my team were fabulous. An education wouldn't go a miss as I know it really improves product knowledge.

Good Fun

Overseas Holiday Advisor (Former Employee) Salou (Spain)

ProsSun and more often than not, sea and sand....The initial training is fantastic as soon as you get to your destination or even if you have training at a different venue. Once you then get to your resort you get a fantastic overview of the whole resort and all the excursions you are going to sell as you get to go on them all before you start selling!
    Once you are out in your resort and within your team you become a new family and everyone is there to help each other but also to have fun with work.
    You get to meet some fantastic people who can even be your guests. You get to know people very well over a short space of time as you are constantly seeing and chatting to them.
    Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic. If you get all the right results throughout the season you can also often get to choose where you really want to go for the following season(s).

ConsThe living arrangements can often be less than expected. You can often be overlooked for the good work that you put in and rewards that are supposed to be given are often overlooked and forgotten.
    Also some management can not listen to your needs and preferences when you have a certain type of work you would like to do in a resort they may not listen and not give you your preferences.
    The caps on commission can be disheartening as when you hit the top bracket you have no incentive to keep on going above as there is little to no incentive to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your staff as often if preferences are given to staff they can be much happier and work much better. Also living accommodation should be looked at in a lot of resorts to check if they are still adequate for modern living as many I have been placed in are not!
    HA commission should match that of the 2wentys reps as there would be much more incentive to not stop at 20% above target as there is only £10 more per 10% above - There is no point trying to get any higher which is a poor way to run the business as the more money we bring in even if you do give us more money the more you will earn.

Creatively crushing

Designer (Former Employee)

ProsThere seems to be some good recruitment where talented individuals are hired who bring knowledge, big ideas and are always a good laugh. Industry as a whole is interesting and there's a lot of potential to experiment with new ideas and technology.

ConsOld school view of how a company should run. Minimal acceptance for anything new.
    Too many 'no' people.
    People always want something new and exciting yet seem terrified of doing anything different when it comes down to it. "Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results".
    Most ideas are trampled on.
    Always 'something' better on the horizon to appease concerns but concerns are never quite addressed.
    Little development, education or training. Minimal investment in staff.
    High turn-over of staff - Quickly lose those talented individuals.
    Politics get in the way of everything, you just can't get anything done without every level having their input (sometimes felt like people would say something for the sake of it).
    Blame culture.
    Little time given to do a good job before something else needs to be done yesterday.
    A very top heavy structure with little support for those towards the bottom.
    Seems to be lots of talk but no action. Resulting in another meeting.
    Quite often low moral.
    Ideas/Strategy seems to change as it comes down the chain of command which is confusing. Being told one thing my the most senior staff but direct management are relaying something different - occasionally the opposite?!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust those talented people you have hired to do their specialist job. Things might actually pick up if you allow people to exercise the ideas they have from time to time. Respect the fact that new ideas might fail but if something is learnt then it has been a success - allow the staff to know its ok to fail. Visibility of a sound strategy would be helpful. Invest in your staff. Invest in the culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very effcient, very corporate, a company that seems to care about employees

Marketing Exe (Former Employee) Luton, East of England, England (UK)

ProsEfficient structure,
    Entertainment in head office
    Visionary

ConsPay
    personal growth
    company culture is ageing, not as suitable for younger 'go employees'

Advice to Senior Managementmore opportunities needed for growth in that it's quite difficult to progress, so opportunities are more likely else where

This job opened up so many great opportunities for me to explore, learn and develop through an amazing summer!

Children's Representative (Former Employee) Cales de Majorca (Spain)

ProsYou can travel the world and meet some amazing people!

ConsBeing away from home and the accommodation wasn't anything to shout about!

It was amazing

Children's Representative (Former Employee) Los Cristianos (Spain)

ProsGreat opportunities, memories that will last a lifetime, make new friends

ConsHard work sometimes, got to be motivated

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are fantastic

Things don't move fast

Web Developer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsRelaxed atmosphere. People aren't very strict. Healthy work-life balance.

ConsIt can be hard to get things done, like working with HR and figuring out the bureaucracy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat travel benefits, employee reviews consistent.

ConsBrands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted.

Wonderful product, passionate co workers, hierarchical organisation

ProsFun product (holidays), great co workers

ConsMedium level salaries, unmature HR

An international experience with many exciting challenges

Commercial Support Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- international working environment
    - opportunity to develop and try many different types of roles
    - dynamic and result driven company

Cons- as it is a large organisation, the internal politics can be inefficient and time consuming
    - although it is an international environment it is still challenging to move roles across businesses if you do not know the right people. (HR have limited visibility, motivation to work across businesses and markets)

Advice to Senior Management- continue to challenge yourselves
    - evaluate/analyse cost savings and actions better and understand what their long term impact will be for the business

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!