TUI Travel Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

3.3

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long
Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• international working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

• Firstly location (Luton - need I say more) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

An international experience with many exciting challenges

Current Employee - Commercial Support Manager
    Current Employee - Commercial Support Manager

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- international working environment
    - opportunity to develop and try many different types of roles
    - dynamic and result driven company

Cons

- as it is a large organisation, the internal politics can be inefficient and time consuming
    - although it is an international environment it is still challenging to move roles across businesses if you do not know the right people. (HR have limited visibility, motivation to work across businesses and markets)

- continue to challenge yourselves
    - evaluate/analyse cost savings and actions better and understand what their long term impact will be for the business

Things don't move fast

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. People aren't very strict. Healthy work-life balance.

Cons

It can be hard to get things done, like working with HR and figuring out the bureaucracy.

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great travel benefits, employee reviews consistent.

Cons

Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Luxury Travel, but employees are not respected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

You're constantly learning about new destinations for travel. Once in a while you can take advantage of a good travel deal.

Cons

Senior management does not support or provide enough resources to allow employees to do a great job. Staff is overloaded and overworked, resulting in low morale.

Treat your regular employees better; they are the ones making memorable trips happen for employees. Treat employees with respect and compensate them appropriately.

Great work environment, fun people to interact with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

Friendly staff, interesting job meeting many new people every day. Head staff is always willing to help you out and you never need to be afraid to ask for anything. Very flexible in work hours

Cons

Mostly part time staff, you can't make a living only doing this job, ships do not come in every day. Sometimes travel is a hassle to get there.

Good, but not great. Competitive benefits but offices are uninspiring and little culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gatwick, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England (UK)

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salary, generally good atmosphere in office, nice people to work with, great internal communications.

Working hours are great.

Working for TUI Travel is working for a market leader

Cons

Hierarchical system means it is very difficult to get things done. Location of offices isn't great. Very political environment. Salary reviews are rubbish. Little company culture or social life due to location.

Internal sign off is a nightmare and slows down the rate of movement across the company

Had to leave as was not granted holiday for 18 months.

Former Employee - Holiday Advisor  in  Playa del Carmen (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Holiday Advisor in Playa del Carmen (Mexico)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, training, availability of management, chance to learn different job skills and even another language.

Cons

I worked for 18 months with one day off a week, no weekend, no holidays and became completely exhausted- when I asked for a weeks unpaid leave it was not granted! Our manager said this was because we were not hitting target as a resort- no wonder-none of us had had a break!

I believe after I left the reps in Mexico were thereafter given holidays, please ensure this keeps happening!

Potentially great, but too many bureaucrats, too much back-stabbing/brown nosing and lack of forward thinking approach.

Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Inbound  in  Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Inbound in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a job, the staff are all in the same boat. The training and development is well structured and educational trips are a nice touch.

Cons

There is no 2 way avenue... It's all about metrics, scheduled adherence. Sales targets are rarely achievable and a lot of the time when staff levels are low, the targets are split between who ever is left. It's not approached sensibly, when your opinion is given to management, it is usually looked down on and you feel worthless. The company will have it their way at any cost, changes to bad practices take too long to rectify.

Take your head from where it doesn't shine and listen to your staff, give them what they want once in a while. Business is business yes, but without morale you have no engagement. It's always very difficult to get time off so that needs attention. When you take on new people, you always do the maths test. When you apply for a job within, you always have to do all the stupid tests again (even though you had to be able to do them when you first started). Why do you make people take the tests again? You know they are intelligent/arrhythmic as they had to pass to start employment with TUI. There are lots of things that are back to front. I suggest that when a staff member isn't happy with something or a decision their manager has made, that manager takes up to the director level... since a lot of the time, the bureaucrats within will say there is nothing more that can be done, when they are lying because they can't be bothered to help you (or they have made a decision that goes against the company values or is ethically challenged). Stop asking people for their personal information all the time too, you have asked for it a number of times. I could go on and on and on and on.

Bullies

I worked at TUI Travel

Pros

All positives were completely and utterly crushed......

Cons

Line managers bully their staff as they too are bullied. So you cannot approach anyone for help to prevent this as those above rule in a similar way.
    Targets reached so they find something else to shout about. Humiliating, upsetting, destroying, disaster of an experience.
    I quit a good job to join Tui and feel gutted I was duped from day one. False promises of what's on the horizon.
    Absolutely NO employee care whatsoever.

If you wish to keep staff and save on training costs. Treat them as human beings. Value their work, educate if they fail. Praise often..

Great experience for young people looking to work abroad

Former Employee - Chalet Host  in  Le Freney-d'Oisans (France)
    Former Employee - Chalet Host in Le Freney-d'Oisans (France)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Provides the opportunity to work with like-minded people in some of the best winter and summer holiday destinations in Europe and beyond.
    Necessities ranging from accommodation to insurance are arranged for you prior to departure so you don't have to worry.
    Interacting with a wide range of guests allows you to make a lot of new friends.

Cons

Often work long, hard hours and following the deductions receive very little income. Not a problem if you are are happy just about breaking even but definitely not a money maker!

Ensure in-resort managers make the effort to integrate with their team. The knowledge that you are working for a manager that you like and who cares about you provides inspiration when the going gets tough.

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!