TVWorks LLC

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Irv Kalick

Future of Interactive Television.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at TVWorks LLC

ProsCompetitive software development keeps the job interesting. The company allows for a great work/life balance. Scrum and rapid development processes have been recently introduced. This shows management is actively seeking new opportunities to streamline and improve application concept to production release.

ConsSlow move to wide deployment of applications.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a path for employees to seek opportunities for further career growth. Introduce useful mentoring program.

The Good Times are Over

I have been working at TVWorks LLC

ProsStill a fair place to work in a limited market; nice people and atmosphere in downtown London; free coffee and low cost beverages (when available)

ConsWhat once was an agile, exciting 'start up'-like dev shop has become a feeder for corporate giant Comcast; downsizing and many departures have weakened the company with more to come; who's left is the rest...and yet some departments are still management heavy and salary bloated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop following and start leading; Comcast will continue to import senior executives to do the job you ar unable to do.

Good Company over all, but needs better management.

Software Developer (Current Employee)
London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TVWorks LLC

ProsIt is a good company, very relax working environment, reasonable benefit packages. People working here are very nice and helpful. And you also have chance to develop your own skills.

ConsMaybe it is because of the downturn of current economy situation, or because of the flattening of the organization, we have had lots of changes in last year which I think is not quite good for a stable company. And for some reason, some products are being moved out of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the team and company stable, keep as many products as you can, products are the life of the company. Also, shifting products among teams is also not good.

A great place to work

Software Developer (Current Employee)
London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TVWorks LLC

ProsTvWorks is a great place to work. It was formed as a joint venture between Comcast and Cox Communications consisting of 3 divisions: TvWorks Application division based in Mill Valley California, TvWorks Integration division based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and TvWorks Platform division based in London, Ontario Canada. I work for the Platform division. Small disclaimer: The first two companies were previously independent companies before being acquired, so I don't know if what follows applies to the other divisions.

Why is it a great place to work? For starters the people here are incredibly talented... the tech talent pool in London is pretty big with 4 Universities within an hour's drive, and that translates into not only great learning opportunities but also opportunities to really 'strut your stuff', which is very encouraged. The company encourages it's employees to innovate and be creative as much as they expect the work to get done. Combine this with the fact that the company has almost doubled in size in two years (and is still growing) and this means there are plenty of opportunities. Career progression is generally based on merit, with few exceptions.

Benefits include a patent reward program, referral bonuses, performance bonuses (tied to personal achievements and company performance), a very generous benefits package (including Medical, Dental, and Vision), RRSP contribution matching, free beverages, foosball in the lunch room, a health and wellness benefit package, and free company summer picnics and Holiday party. They encourage employees to further their learning by taking courses and designations, and will often pay for it if it's related to your job. The company also is very active in charitable giving within the community, and often donates prizes to employees that give the most.

Hours are pretty flexible, some people work 7am-3pm, others 11am-7pm, others 9am-5pm. Rarely do they ask for more although they generally provide breakfasts/lunches/dinners and time-in-lieu if you do.

After re-reading this, it really sounds like an advertisement for TvWorks. I definitely don't work in HR, but I do think this is a very top-notch company to work for.

ConsThere aren't too many, my experiences here have generally been very positive. A few items come to mind though.

Don't expect to get a lot of leadership mentoring or management grooming, but as much as this is lacking there is an abundance of technical mentoring available.

Although politics within the office I find is generally very little, politics between the other divisions can sometimes be very high, which can sometimes make for a lot of frustration. Depending on what you're working on, your exposure to this can range from very little to a lot, but in fairness the company is trying to fix this, and it is a lot better than it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're over-worked, hire more of you!

Worked for TVWorks LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TVWorks LLC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TVWorks LLC CEO Irv Kalick. All reviews posted anonymously by TVWorks LLC employees.