TWG Insurance

TWG Insurance Reviews

Updated May 8, 2014

TWG Insurance CEO Mark E. Jones

Mark E. Jones

Pros:
  • "The thing that sets TWG apart the most is the work environment"
    in 13 reviews
  • "I wanted to be recognized for my hard work through promotions as quick as possible, and I wanted to learn sales"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long Hours, Benefits are cheap, but can have limited coverage"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The picture the recruiters paint is much different than the reality of life in the ranks of a call center"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great place to start your career

Irving, TX

ProsGreat people, great management, great product, and you get weekends off.

ConsYou have to work hard at first to build your success. Patients will be needed to start off the job, but it will pay off in the long run.

Great learning experience in building a business

Director (Former Employee)
    Colleyville, TX

ProsThere is great potential to move up and build the business. Getting involved from the ground up in a start-up company is rare, and I value the time I worked at TWG. The atmosphere is young, vibrant and energetic. This too is a rare find, and unlike many large companies where you only know the people in your department, TWG is much more inclusive and team-oriented. They are great with team-building activities and you do feel closer to your coworkers. Hard work is expected and if you apply yourself, management will recognize your accomplishments. The compensation structure for entry level salaried employees is competitive. TWG focuses on hiring very smart and future-focused employees, so it is a great atmosphere to voice your opinion on better ways to do the job.

ConsSenior management during my tenure was for the most part young, so nearly all of the mentorship came from the CEO. In my experience I found it difficult to balance work and my personal life as there was always much more work than I could complete during work hours. We always looked for ways to re-engineer and re-organize methods, but with each efficiency realized came a larger workload. Coming in early, working late, working on weekends and on vacation was typical for me. Taking time off was difficult because of the amount of work that piled up while you were gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve the work/personal life balance by making daily workloads something that can be accomplished. Keep hiring great people and TWG will continue to succeed!

Phenomenal Structure Compared to Previous Sales/Consulting Positions I've had; but Definitely Not for Everyone.

Irving, TX

ProsIf you have the fortitude and desire to work hard, smart and ethically to earn a great long-term living with reasonable job security and a positive working environment, this is an excellent place for you:
    The most important word in the previous sentence is the word "If."

A ton of the posts on this site highlight a romanticized view of the perfect job for everyone, and others are clearly posted by disgruntle employees upset about their lack of success in the workplace or the fact that they were caught doing things they shouldn't.

One of the things I respect most about this company is that no one employee is view by the upper management as 'above the law' so to speak. I have worked in various corporate environments and learned that unfortunately incompetence and laziness are simply a matter of life with many of America's top companies (name banks, hospital, government agency or restaurant to your self and observe their employees if you doubt this). At TWG I have a daily goal which is reasonably realistic (admittedly aggressive, as any progressive sales company should be), and a weekly and monthly goal based on this number that I am expected to achieve; and rewarded when I do so.

I fully acknowledge that the company's checks and balance system will become aware if I engage in any destructive practices. This means that I have absolutely zero incentive to try to lie, cheat or steal my way to the top. I have to rely solely on my principles, sales skills, and hard work to achieve success.

The income structure clearly supports employees who have a long-term commitment to the company, and justifiably so. Realistically, why would any relatively young company reward fair-weather employees? I, personally, want to work for a company that I know is providing a service to its clients, and will benefit me long-term for helping to provide that service. Quite honestly, I don't care much about the first year's income; with the economy as it is I'm thankful that I haven't had to miss a paycheck since I started work after College. I'm more concerned that I will be able to support my family when they need me years down the road, that I'll be able to retire comfortably and enjoy a long-lasting career without the stress of job hopping every few years.

The innovative nature of the company is also quite impressive. Having bought and sold several houses prior to employment here, and helping dozens of others to do the same, I have never seen many of the features utilized by TWG in this industry. It is very refreshing to be able to correctly state to my friends that no other insurance company that I know of does business the way that we do, and that I can confidently state that for a very large majority of our prospective customers, we are poised to provide them the best service available. (Hats off to our service team for this, especially)

The lower level management system currently in place is proving to be pretty effective as well. I have regular meetings behind closed doors with my immediate supervisor so that I can discuss any issues or concerns that I have with my performance, with my co-workers, etc. I have yet to have an concern that wasn't answered swiftly and to my satisfaction. While no management style is perfect for everyone, the "How Can We Help You Be Successful" attitude is immensely appreciated.
    Even when I have been behind my projected goal (and have been a few times), meetings focus on the necessary changes required to return my production numbers back into the black. It's never a question of "Why are you under performing" but has so far always been "I know you can perform better; how can I help you reach your potential?"

ConsIf you want a 9-5 job that will let you get by with minimum effort and no real commitment and dedication, please don't waste your time or our corporate resources.

Is this the easiest job ever?
    Will you work long hours? Yes
    Will you earn more than the Salary the first year? No (in fact, the CEO informed me prior to my accepting the offer letter that I should anticipate earning at or around the salary the first year)
    Will there be pressure to work overtime? Not if you work hard during the regular 44 hour work week!
    Do I work more than the required 44 hours? Yes, solely because of my poor (but improving) time management skills, and has only included one Saturday due to a ton of missed production days that I needed to catch up from.

If you plan on working for a year or two, then moving on to something else, please don't even apply for this position. Since the model is based for long-term employee benefit and retention your first year will require a lot more work than other sales jobs. If you want to make 100K your first year out of college, then go sell mortgages and accept the risk of no residual income if your sales falter. If you can accept a modest income while you build a book of business worthy of being rewarded year after year, then the model works for you.

The job is office based. You will likely be at a desk for a year doing nothing but selling insurance. If you join with the intentions of moving on to bigger and better things within the company, make sure that you can accept paying your dues becoming proficient at phone-based sales before you expect anyone to give you a shot at any more prestigious positions or sales models.

If you can't handle rejection, don't like pressure, or are easily frustrated with customers doing illogical things this probably not a good fit for you. Since we service a very broad market we see a lot of people make poor choices and it can be very frustrating when people tell you "no" for the sole reason that they are willingly doing the wrong thing because it takes less effort or feels better.

Again I stress the largest con:
    This job requires a lot of work. At times it feels futile (as any sales agent will tell you on a bad day) to try to keep up with all of the activities and follow ups with customers that require attention. Sometimes I feel so limited by my time management that I have no clue how more senior agents produce so well and maintain their work-life balance. Any new hires should remember to focus long term, and always practice principles that hold true regardless of scale. I'm working on this greatly, and have improved some, but am still not as efficient as I would like to be, and will likely take a good bit longer to satisfy myself.

Also, if you're the type of sales person prone to manipulate, fabricate, mislead, or otherwise misrepresent material information just to get the sale or earn the revenue, don't even bother with TWG. The checks and balance system will catch you, and is ever-improving. While honest mistakes happen, it is very evident that malicious behavior of this nature is not tolerated, regardless of how much revenue you're bringing in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the "What can we fix/do to help you be successful?" Attitude that a lot of the management team has now. Remember that turnover can be curbed if you are continually hiring the right people, and dedicating the corporate structure to making them successful as individuals.

The learning curve dictates that a year-3 agent should, on average, be vastly more efficient (read, More Profitable) than a typical year-1 agent.

One option to help reduce turnover could be to offer greater (more immediate) incentives for the first year to keep the new hires engaged and eager for the long term profitability that is sure to come if they follow the business model and honest sales practices.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

unique

Dallas, TX

Pros-small company, you get to know everyone
    -fun and energetic environment, feels like you are working with friends rather than just co-workers
    -great personal growth
    -open and honest communications between all employees on all levels
    -sales managers are extremely helpful and care about your personal success

Cons-disconnect between upper management and sales team - but this is a young company - still growing and working on making it a better place each day
    -high turnover (a lot of these are young employees moving around and making life changes)

Advice to Senior Managementkeep listening to feedback of sales and service team. if we work together as a company, we can continue to grow TWG and make it a great place to work for all positions

Great company with an even greater future.

Pros1. Managment
    -From the top to the bottom all individiduals in leadership positions not only want TWG to thrive, but want each individual succeed in all aspects of life.

2. Compensation Structure
    -Although no structure is ever perfect, in general, pay strucutre at TWG compensates fairly and provides GREAT longterm growth opportunity. If you plan on making $75K after your first year this job may not be the right one for you.
    -However, if you truly put the time and the work into your job and have the patience to do what it takes to succeed you will top the 6-figures probably in 4-7 years. If you are a soon top be college grad think about how many of your friends 4-7 years from now at ages 25-28 will be making 100K or more a year.

3. Work Schedule
    -In my opinion, could be considered both a pro and a con. Admitedly, this is not the job for someone looking to work 40 hours a week. Hours are officially (8-6pm M-Th, 8-5pm F). If you are in the top 10% or so you will have more flexibility than this. With my math, that makes required working hours about 44 per week which is not at all unreasonable for a job that is predominantly sales.

5. People!
    Our CEO will tell you that this company's competitive advantage is truly its people. Although I am not close with every individual at the office, I can say that those that work here, for the most part, care very much about making the office a great atmosphere and a comfortable place to work.

6. Comapny Events
    -Although this is more of a bonus than a positive, I do appreciate the fact that TWG cares enough about its employees to spend hug amounts of money every other month or so for an event that rewards its employees. These events are also an excellent way for co-workers to get to know one another better, which makes the workplace a much more comfortable place.

6. Diversity
    -When I started work at TWG, one demographic accounted for the vast majority of employees at the company. I can now say that this is quickly changing. Although a slow process, recruiters at TWG are making a huge effort to recruit outside the box. By this I mean that TWG is no longer soly recruiting large state Universities. They are using other resources that are more capable of finding qualified individuals from a multitude of backgrounds and life experiences .Although bringing diversity into the workplace is a slow process, I am already seeing a huge difference from the day I started working.

Cons1. Work Schedule
    -This, like I said above, is both a Pro and a Con. I completely agree with the official work hours here but, unfortunately, often find it difficult to actually be ready to go by 6pm. This is partly because I am still learning to become more efficient at how I manage my time, but is also partly because I am often stuck on the phone with a potential client that requires attending to at a late hour. Neither of these issues are the direct fault of TWG, but ARE an inevitable part of a sales career, especially this one. With time, I am sure I will learn how to use my time better and put myself in position to head home at closing. Many people, even less experienced people do this.

2. Emotional Toll
    -As this job is cyclical in nature, there will be times that will make you want to question your desire to stick with it, or will make you question your ability to succeed (In my opinion, this more than any other factor has contributred to the high turnover that other before have referred to). It is important, however, to always think long term with this job. It is also important to be mentally tough so that down times only make you stronger and do not casue you to make a rash decision and give up before having an opportunity to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say. Management is doing a great job!

Positive learning experience

Pros1) you get to learn from the best
    2) you don't have to wait 15 years to get a promotion
    3) fun work environment, great people
    4) commission on new sales + commission on renewals

Cons1) not everyone can sell
    2) people who are allergic to hard work can bring down office morale

Advice to Senior ManagementTWG leadership does a great job. Management shows genuine interest in the well being of all employees.

TWG Insurance is the right place for ambitious and dedicated people.

Irving, TX

ProsHard work is rewarded, no politics involved. The work you put in is recognized by management. Management does a great job helping you develop your strengths and strengthen your weaknesses. Promotions and compensation are fair and merit based. Fun work environment and plenty of events/parties that allow for socializing outside of the office.

ConsJust like every other company, some coworkers who don't want to put in the hard work necessary to develop their own skills and to further the productivity of the company as a whole can create negativity in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leaders of TWG do a great job facilitating learning and growth.

Strong learning and professional development.

ProsGreat People
    Fast paced learning environment
    Management is respectful and knowledgeable
    Growing company
    Room for upward movement
    Pay for performance
    Fairly paid
    Fun work environment
    Great location (next to a bunch of restaurants)
    Very nice building
    Comfortable work environment
    Management is interested in you as a person

ConsPay for performance is a two edge sword- If you are performing well you are paid well but if you are having a slow month you do not get paid very much
    Work hours can be long
    Some employees have an entitlement attitude that gets frustrating to those around, some of the out of state hires have been particularly annoying

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being in touch with employees on a personal level. It makes them feel like you care about their individual growth.

Challenging but rewarding

Colleyville, TX

Pros- much more responsiblity than I would have had elsewhere
    - pushed me out of my comfort zone
    - great benefits; considerably better than my husband's job

Cons- high pressure
    - frustration with the lack of commitment of some coworkers
    - hours weren't completely static--my attention was required outside of normal business hours at times

Advice to Senior ManagementI know that recruiting practices have changed to give potential employees a more accurate view of what it means to work in insurance. My advice would be to continue that trend so that the employees you hire are committed and prepared for their jobs.

TWG, My Career Choice

Irving, TX

ProsI am very happy at TWG and plan at this point to make it my career. Many of my close friends are co-workers and it is fun to work around a generally positive, energized team. Over the last couple of years there have been a number of major changes to help an agent succeed in his/her job.
    1. Technology. The company's use of technology is awesome. TWG gives you the tools you need to be very successful.
    2. Training. Starting with the August 2010 class, the company implemented a new training program that has been dynamite. People are well prepared for their jobs. In addition to managers working the floor, there is a floor trainer who circulates and helps people real time. Plus, work stations are clustered so everyone has at least one experienced person readily at hand to answer questions. In addition, the company has developed a good program for those interested in outside sales to mortgage lenders. It is led by a very experienced outside sales manager who supports and trains the participants well.
    3. Management. The sales teams in Dallas are managed by full-time managers who's primary function is to help their people succeed. They are smart, use good analysis and are very helpful.
    4. Product. In connection with expanding to other states, the company has added several new carriers. Our product is almost unbeatable.
    5. Growth opportunities. My career is what I make it. I get the support I need from management and help focusing on my strengths. Team managementy is one option, outside sales is another, helping to open another market (New York right now) or another office (Chicago down the road), getting involved in marketing or other corporate projects, training is another possibility, etc. Growth creates opportunities for people to assume more responsibility. In 2 weeks we will be adding to our agent force by over 20% and adding to our service team by about 25%.
    6. Work environment. The employee group is young, energetic and ambitious. The changes in training and management have resulted in strong morale. I don't believe we have had any turnover of new agents that completed training since these changes were made last summer. The office is very professional and comfortable and I am proud to show my friends and family where I work.
    7. Flexibility. There are several women at TWG with children and the company does a good job helping them balance their responsibilities in a way that works for their lives. We have several women (in HR, Risk Management and Sales) who work from home part of the week. This flexibility helps make TWG a viable long term career option.
    8. Ownership potential. I love working at a company where I know that strong performance and commitment over time can open the door to becoming a Director and partner in the company.
    9. Executive leadership. They don't get everything right 100% of the time, but executive management is always willing to listen to my ideas. I know that I can get an appointment with Kevin, Mike, Robyn or Mark whenever I want to discuss something. I also know they care about me as an individual and are deeply committed to the success of TWG. Sometimes they have to make hard decisions but I am glad to know they place a very high priority on protecting everyone's livelihoods.

ConsWe work hard, but I would work hard wherever I worked. I want to succeed and build my career. Sometimes this means putting in a few extra hours.

This is a sales company and attitude is an important part of being successful. It's great to work around people who encourage and lift you when you have a bad day or week and this is normally the case now. There used to be a group of employees who were constantly complaining and creating problems as opposed to being part of the solution. I think someone else referred to an "entitlement" attitude. Happily, most of these people are gone now so they are not here to drag others down with them.

TWG is also a place where lots of change happens. This is part of the fun and excitement of working for an aggressive, nimble company. You need to be flexible to enjoy working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for caring about the individuals that make up TWG. Continue to be open to new ideas. Continue on the current training and team management path we are on. I am grateful to be part of the team and I love it here.

Worked for TWG Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

TWG Insurance – Why Work for Us?

TWG Insurance is one of the largest and fastest growing independent insurance agencies in the United States. Our job is to Protect Families, and we do this by finding the right insurance at the right price and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TWG Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TWG Insurance CEO Mark E. Jones. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by TWG Insurance employees.