TWG Insurance

Updated September 19, 2014
4.1

TWG Insurance CEO Mark E. Jones
Mark E. Jones

Pros
  • The thing that sets TWG apart the most is the work environment (in 13 reviews)

• I wanted to be recognized for my hard work through promotions as quick as possible, and I wanted to learn sales (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours, Benefits are cheap, but can have limited coverage (in 11 reviews)

• You basically work in a glorified call center, so you are constantly getting phone calls (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work and grow with if you are willing to work hard.

I have been working at TWG Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fairly young company, a lot of hires directly from college so it is a really good environment if you are in the 21-35 age bracket.

- As a quickly growing company (fastest growing independent insurance agency in the US) there is and will continue to be A LOT of room for advancement.

- The company does a good job of setting up extra-curricular events and rec league teams for the employees to enjoy. Dodgeball, Softball and Volleyball leagues as well as monthly happy hours and other events.

- For the sales side, the pay is as good as you are and grows overtime since you get renewals every year on the clients that you maintain. The longer you stay, the more you make regardless of advancement opportunities.

- Management has shown that they care about the well being and happiness of the employees.

- The company has strong ethical values (hard to find in the insurance world) and has shown time and time again that they will cut loose people who breach integrity or write unethical business (even top producers and tenured agents).

Cons

- Training can be arduous and a lot is expected of you.

- Like any sales position, it is very stressful (especially when you are behind) and can sometimes become overwhelming if you are not good at managing your stress.

- Especially early on, you will be putting in a lot more than 40 hours a week. But in this job, the more you work the more money you can make and the faster you will advance so if you are willing to work hard early and often it will pay off dividends.

- Benefits, while affordable, are a bit lackluster when it comes to coverage.

- If you want an easy job where you come in, chill and get on Facebook from 9-5 this is not the place for you.

Take better care of the service team as they are what keeps the machine well-oiled and running smoothly. They may not bring in the money, but they keep it here.

Great place if you like insurance

Former Employee - Client Advocate in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Client Advocate in Irving, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture was great, everyone there was super nice and always willing to help. During training, they throw a ton of information at you but they really want you to understand and help you in any way to learn the industry. Once on the floor, when you need help or have any questions everyone there is always willing to help. They also try to have events set up for the employees to get to know everyone better which is always nice. Breakfast from Panera on Friday, free beer when they do awards once a month.

Cons

You basically work in a glorified call center, so you are constantly getting phone calls. When someone is missing from work you can tell because of how many calls are on hold. They hire a lot of college grads that do not realize how little they are getting paid, and it settles in more when you are getting paid the same as someone that doesn't have a degree, which then gets you thinking as to why you even went to college. Another thing is that I found myself staying an hour to two hours after my shift was done in order to get through all the people I needed to call, you get faster with time. Another thing is that even though the people there are nice, there was ALOT of gossip, and one of the things I hate the most in the job place is gossip. We are all adults, there is no need for this in the office. Some people also see their position as higher than others at times.

Don't really have advice but to keep doing what you are doing.

TWG Summer Account Executive Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, young company

Cons

to much time spent training

Glad to be out of this company..best thing I ever did

I worked at TWG Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-You will meet some nice people here

-The company does do fun events from time to time such as dodge-ball tournaments, BBQ, fancy holiday party

-Office space is nice and breakfast was provided every week

-Some people have flexible schedules where they are out of the office more and able to set their own schedule

-Sometimes during hot periods the company will let you wear shorts or have theme days

-Casual Fridays

Cons

-Compensation is ridiculous- the company hired a lot of people right out of college who don't realize how little they are making and killing themselves to do so

-Long hours expected- they have a set schedule of hours 8-6 M-Th and 8-5 F. However, if you are there at 8 and not before its frowned upon. If you leave on time, its frowned upon. And lunch had better be 1 hour on the dot. There is no flexibility for 99% of employees

-A certain member of upper management is arrogant and sue happy- tons of employees who have left to go sell insurance have been hit with lawsuits- so be careful if selling insurance is something you want to do as a career (common knowledge within the company.) This person likes to refer to anyone who leaves the company as barnacles on his TWG ship- talks a lot of trash about those who leave the company anytime he wants- company staff meetings, the hallway, etc.

-Lots of immature people and drama- they hire right out of college, so its not a shock but this company does not have the maturity of other organizations

-Company definitely plays favorites and its no secret who those favorites are, as a result there are a lot of double standards and promotions that don't always make sense

-Lots of egos in this company

-Company also has people go in and post positive reviews- this is done regularly- so be careful if you are basing your decision off of only the positives

Care more about your employees and manage turnover. There's a reason so many people come and go- and a lot of it has to do with the company culture and lack of respect for the employees.

Lots of opportunity if you are willing to work for it

Current Employee - Account Executive in Irving, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Like other insurance agencies, if you put in the work up front (the first three years or so), you get paid big dividends every year after. You can definitely make a lot of money within a few years and set yourself up for a cushy paycheck in the long-term. Also, you get the feel of managing your own clientele, which helps you build autonomy in your job as you progress in your career. The industry and this firm are very stable, so job security is high. The training program is very helpful and everyone at the company wants to help you succeed.

Cons

Even in interviews, you are informed about how tough it is mentally to do well in this job. The learning curve coupled with the small paycheck at the beginning plus long hours don't add up to be worth it for a lot of people. If you have a vision of your priorities, stick to it through the ups and downs and you'll fare better.

Listen to the newer employees on the ground level, the ones who have been here 6 months to a year. They have a perspective that upper management and long-term employees don't and it's an important one.

Best company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is young and vibrant and if you have a drive to succeed then you will see great benefits.

Cons

There is nothing negative about a career with TWG Insurance.

Best career decision I've made!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

TWG offers a chance for employees to make an immediate impact in the company. Management is open to new ideas and input from all levels of employees.
    Competitive pay and benefits.
    Fun work environment, including extracurricular activities once or more each week.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but you will be pushed hard. Longer hours than some other jobs, but nobody successful works 40 hrs/week.

Never stop innovating and looking for ways to improve.

People here are awesome to work with and management maintains a steady vision of our personal and company goals.

I have been working at TWG Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Environment, Salary, Company Events, Pay Structure, Co-workers and Management styles make this a great place to learn and grow within the company.

Cons

One may find themselves overwhelmed with all of the information that needs to be learned during training. One may also encounter themselves with late hours if one doesn't keep up with the day's work load.

No suggestions.

The Funnest Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Client Advocate in Irving, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love my current role with the company because of the atmospere that we get to work in every day. I love the people around me and we are always doing things to involve our front office with the sales and customer services teams.

Cons

We need more employees to help with the workload.

Keep On Keepin On.

TWG is a challenging job but has many rewards

Current Employee - Account Service Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Service Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TWG has a great work enviroment. The atmosphere is very young and fun. The motto is work hard, play hard for a reason. The company strives to make sure that not only are we meeting and exceeding goals but also celebrating those sucesses along the way. The managers are very hands on and they care alot about their individual teams and also the company as a whole.

Cons

TWG is a young company that is growing exceptionally fast and has alot of trial and errors to figure out best operations. It is a learning experience for everyone involved so not all of the ideas or procedures are easy or well liked but they listen to feedback and over the past 2 years the company has made efforts to make positive changes so the employee retention is at an all time high. If you are looking for an easy job TWG is not the place. It is a very challenging job but if you work hard and are committed there can be many rewards.

Again TWG is a learning experience for everyone involved so I do not have any exact feedback for management at the moment. They have really been listening and making the efforts to make sure their team is satisfied with their job.