TWG Insurance Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
4.2

TWG Insurance CEO Mark E. Jones
Mark E. Jones

Pros
  • The thing that sets TWG apart the most is the work environment (in 13 reviews)

• I wanted to be recognized for my hard work through promotions as quick as possible, and I wanted to learn sales (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours, Benefits are cheap, but can have limited coverage (in 11 reviews)

• The picture the recruiters paint is much different than the reality of life in the ranks of a call center (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Sales Experience-This is a Career

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

I had no idea what glassdoor was until some of my co-workers were discussing the site one day in the office. I asked one of my closest colleagues to describe exactly what the site’s purpose was and what was going on. Some of the top producers in the company had recently quit or had been let go…and the rumor mill was in full force. My friend informed me that the site contained multiple misleading reviews about the company, but some of the reviews were quite accurate.

I worked at TWG for less than two years, and I saw everything. From close friends unexpectedly quitting, to top agents being fired for insubordination…you couldn’t predict what would happen when you walked in the door for work. Because the company is so young, the culture is constantly evolving. The pay structure, the hours, the incentives, the parties, the rules, the atmosphere, the morale, and the people are always subject to change. If you have a hard time adapting to change, TWG is not the place for you. The company is still in its infancy, and everyone from the new agent in the training room to the CEO is constantly learning and adapting.

I joined TWG because I didn’t want to join a large company with a corp environment right after college. I wanted to be recognized for my hard work through promotions as quick as possible, and I wanted to learn sales. I don’t regret my decision for one minute. Clearly, if you read all of these reviews you will understand that this job isn’t for the lackadaisical. You must be cognizant of the fact that this job is quite difficult. You will be tested mentally, physically, and most of all emotionally. You will feel bored, annoyed, angry, and discouraged…welcome to sales. Every month you are expected to work your butt off. However, the harder you work the more you will get back.

Everyone has a hard time making the transition from college to their first “real world” job. I feel as though TWG received a lot of negative press from the employees who couldn’t handle the pressure and time commitment expected of you here. This is sales people, this is a career…not a walk in the park. You can’t wake up and “take the day off” like you could in school. You are constantly on the grind, and every day you are busy. In college, I followed most of my classmates in the “work hard..play hard” mentality. At TWG you can definitely play hard, but you must work efficiently.

It was hard for me to leave TWG in order to pursue a different career in my hometown. After working in financial services for almost three months, I actually missed the insurance business. I now work on the commercial side of the insurance arena, but I definitely owe TWG credit for giving me an invaluable sales experience. The least I could do was write an honest review on this site.

Pros:
    -You can actually see your contribution in the overall success of the company.
    -I was never micromanaged; just do your job and you won’t be bothered. Work hard…perform well. You will be rewarded with flex-time, longer lunches etc.
    -The company is constantly growing, and doing extremely well.
    -Incredible office and location. Las Colinas is rapidly becoming a premier location for businesses.
    -The opportunities for advancement come at you quickly. Your overall performance can open doors.
    -Your manager actually cares about your success, their paycheck depends on it.
    -The people. Everyone is young and full of energy. The competition pushes you to strive for excellence. Everyone is working just as hard as you are, so everyone is ready to unwind after a long day.
    -Constant opportunities for happy hours, Rangers/Stars/Mavs games, volleyball, kickball, and weekend getaways.
    -Goal hit lunches and dinners, occasional cash incentives.
    -The relationships your build with your coworkers. All my friends looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I was going to hang out with my co-workers during the weekend. I find that to be a very unique quality. I consider many of my old colleagues as best friends and trustworthy advisors.
    -Hours. You can leave at 6pm if you want, they will never force you to stay. However, if you aren’t working a little more than the official office hours at your first job, you will not succeed. The day flies by if you are working efficiently.
    -You do not have to come in on Saturday, if you want to you can. The previous posts are BS.
    -The CEO values honesty, integrity, and hard work. The company’s successes and failures ride on his shoulders. He is clearly leading this company in the right direction. He truly cares about all of his employees.
    -You have the potential to earn commission your first year. The agents in my start group who could sell and who worked hard saw bonuses and commission.
    -Call center in Manilla does all the “cold calling”. These leads are handed to you on a silver platter.
    -The Risk Management Dept does a fantastic job, they are there to protect the company and the agents.

Cons

-Selling is a roller coaster ride, you feel on top of the world one day...but the next you feel helpless.
    -No ownership of your book. Once you leave TWG, your book of clients goes to the corporate account.
    -Commission percentages could be adjusted.
    -High pressure. "call center" atmosphere
    -Benefits could be better.

When recruiting potential employees, make sure they know what the daily sales routine is.
    Keep listening to your employees, the surveys were a great idea.
    Some agents think that upper management could care less about the turnover rates, make it clear that you do care.

This company has the highest level of integrity and intellectual capital I have ever seen in a company.

Current Employee - Director of Business Development  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Irving, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance

Pros

-Incredible culture
    -Unlimited opportunity for growth
    -High level of integrity
    -Strong leadership
    -A "forward thinking" company that utilizes great technology, which makes the day to day work environment desirable
    -People in general are very content here, and there is a very positive atmosphere

Cons

-Vacation time is 2 wks until after your 3rd year, and you can not borrow advance days
    -Hours are strictly 8a-6p, many people come in earlier and work later, so hours can be long

Keep up the great work! I would recommend - and I do recommend - everyone I know to work here!

A great place to start your career

I have been working at TWG Insurance

Pros

Great people, great management, great product, and you get weekends off.

Cons

You have to work hard at first to build your success. Patients will be needed to start off the job, but it will pay off in the long run.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience in building a business

Former Employee - Director  in  Colleyville, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Colleyville, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

There is great potential to move up and build the business. Getting involved from the ground up in a start-up company is rare, and I value the time I worked at TWG. The atmosphere is young, vibrant and energetic. This too is a rare find, and unlike many large companies where you only know the people in your department, TWG is much more inclusive and team-oriented. They are great with team-building activities and you do feel closer to your coworkers. Hard work is expected and if you apply yourself, management will recognize your accomplishments. The compensation structure for entry level salaried employees is competitive. TWG focuses on hiring very smart and future-focused employees, so it is a great atmosphere to voice your opinion on better ways to do the job.

Cons

Senior management during my tenure was for the most part young, so nearly all of the mentorship came from the CEO. In my experience I found it difficult to balance work and my personal life as there was always much more work than I could complete during work hours. We always looked for ways to re-engineer and re-organize methods, but with each efficiency realized came a larger workload. Coming in early, working late, working on weekends and on vacation was typical for me. Taking time off was difficult because of the amount of work that piled up while you were gone.

Continue to improve the work/personal life balance by making daily workloads something that can be accomplished. Keep hiring great people and TWG will continue to succeed!

Phenomenal Structure Compared to Previous Sales/Consulting Positions I've had; but Definitely Not for Everyone.

I have been working at TWG Insurance

Pros

If you have the fortitude and desire to work hard, smart and ethically to earn a great long-term living with reasonable job security and a positive working environment, this is an excellent place for you:
    The most important word in the previous sentence is the word "If."

A ton of the posts on this site highlight a romanticized view of the perfect job for everyone, and others are clearly posted by disgruntle employees upset about their lack of success in the workplace or the fact that they were caught doing things they shouldn't.

One of the things I respect most about this company is that no one employee is view by the upper management as 'above the law' so to speak. I have worked in various corporate environments and learned that unfortunately incompetence and laziness are simply a matter of life with many of America's top companies (name banks, hospital, government agency or restaurant to your self and observe their employees if you doubt this). At TWG I have a daily goal which is reasonably realistic (admittedly aggressive, as any progressive sales company should be), and a weekly and monthly goal based on this number that I am expected to achieve; and rewarded when I do so.

I fully acknowledge that the company's checks and balance system will become aware if I engage in any destructive practices. This means that I have absolutely zero incentive to try to lie, cheat or steal my way to the top. I have to rely solely on my principles, sales skills, and hard work to achieve success.

The income structure clearly supports employees who have a long-term commitment to the company, and justifiably so. Realistically, why would any relatively young company reward fair-weather employees? I, personally, want to work for a company that I know is providing a service to its clients, and will benefit me long-term for helping to provide that service. Quite honestly, I don't care much about the first year's income; with the economy as it is I'm thankful that I haven't had to miss a paycheck since I started work after College. I'm more concerned that I will be able to support my family when they need me years down the road, that I'll be able to retire comfortably and enjoy a long-lasting career without the stress of job hopping every few years.

The innovative nature of the company is also quite impressive. Having bought and sold several houses prior to employment here, and helping dozens of others to do the same, I have never seen many of the features utilized by TWG in this industry. It is very refreshing to be able to correctly state to my friends that no other insurance company that I know of does business the way that we do, and that I can confidently state that for a very large majority of our prospective customers, we are poised to provide them the best service available. (Hats off to our service team for this, especially)

The lower level management system currently in place is proving to be pretty effective as well. I have regular meetings behind closed doors with my immediate supervisor so that I can discuss any issues or concerns that I have with my performance, with my co-workers, etc. I have yet to have an concern that wasn't answered swiftly and to my satisfaction. While no management style is perfect for everyone, the "How Can We Help You Be Successful" attitude is immensely appreciated.
    Even when I have been behind my projected goal (and have been a few times), meetings focus on the necessary changes required to return my production numbers back into the black. It's never a question of "Why are you under performing" but has so far always been "I know you can perform better; how can I help you reach your potential?"

Cons

If you want a 9-5 job that will let you get by with minimum effort and no real commitment and dedication, please don't waste your time or our corporate resources.

Is this the easiest job ever?
    Will you work long hours? Yes
    Will you earn more than the Salary the first year? No (in fact, the CEO informed me prior to my accepting the offer letter that I should anticipate earning at or around the salary the first year)
    Will there be pressure to work overtime? Not if you work hard during the regular 44 hour work week!
    Do I work more than the required 44 hours? Yes, solely because of my poor (but improving) time management skills, and has only included one Saturday due to a ton of missed production days that I needed to catch up from.

If you plan on working for a year or two, then moving on to something else, please don't even apply for this position. Since the model is based for long-term employee benefit and retention your first year will require a lot more work than other sales jobs. If you want to make 100K your first year out of college, then go sell mortgages and accept the risk of no residual income if your sales falter. If you can accept a modest income while you build a book of business worthy of being rewarded year after year, then the model works for you.

The job is office based. You will likely be at a desk for a year doing nothing but selling insurance. If you join with the intentions of moving on to bigger and better things within the company, make sure that you can accept paying your dues becoming proficient at phone-based sales before you expect anyone to give you a shot at any more prestigious positions or sales models.

If you can't handle rejection, don't like pressure, or are easily frustrated with customers doing illogical things this probably not a good fit for you. Since we service a very broad market we see a lot of people make poor choices and it can be very frustrating when people tell you "no" for the sole reason that they are willingly doing the wrong thing because it takes less effort or feels better.

Again I stress the largest con:
    This job requires a lot of work. At times it feels futile (as any sales agent will tell you on a bad day) to try to keep up with all of the activities and follow ups with customers that require attention. Sometimes I feel so limited by my time management that I have no clue how more senior agents produce so well and maintain their work-life balance. Any new hires should remember to focus long term, and always practice principles that hold true regardless of scale. I'm working on this greatly, and have improved some, but am still not as efficient as I would like to be, and will likely take a good bit longer to satisfy myself.

Also, if you're the type of sales person prone to manipulate, fabricate, mislead, or otherwise misrepresent material information just to get the sale or earn the revenue, don't even bother with TWG. The checks and balance system will catch you, and is ever-improving. While honest mistakes happen, it is very evident that malicious behavior of this nature is not tolerated, regardless of how much revenue you're bringing in.

Keep the "What can we fix/do to help you be successful?" Attitude that a lot of the management team has now. Remember that turnover can be curbed if you are continually hiring the right people, and dedicating the corporate structure to making them successful as individuals.

The learning curve dictates that a year-3 agent should, on average, be vastly more efficient (read, More Profitable) than a typical year-1 agent.

One option to help reduce turnover could be to offer greater (more immediate) incentives for the first year to keep the new hires engaged and eager for the long term profitability that is sure to come if they follow the business model and honest sales practices.

unique

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance

Pros

-small company, you get to know everyone
    -fun and energetic environment, feels like you are working with friends rather than just co-workers
    -great personal growth
    -open and honest communications between all employees on all levels
    -sales managers are extremely helpful and care about your personal success

Cons

-disconnect between upper management and sales team - but this is a young company - still growing and working on making it a better place each day
    -high turnover (a lot of these are young employees moving around and making life changes)

keep listening to feedback of sales and service team. if we work together as a company, we can continue to grow TWG and make it a great place to work for all positions

Great company with an even greater future.

I have been working at TWG Insurance

Pros

1. Managment
    -From the top to the bottom all individiduals in leadership positions not only want TWG to thrive, but want each individual succeed in all aspects of life.

2. Compensation Structure
    -Although no structure is ever perfect, in general, pay strucutre at TWG compensates fairly and provides GREAT longterm growth opportunity. If you plan on making $75K after your first year this job may not be the right one for you.
    -However, if you truly put the time and the work into your job and have the patience to do what it takes to succeed you will top the 6-figures probably in 4-7 years. If you are a soon top be college grad think about how many of your friends 4-7 years from now at ages 25-28 will be making 100K or more a year.

3. Work Schedule
    -In my opinion, could be considered both a pro and a con. Admitedly, this is not the job for someone looking to work 40 hours a week. Hours are officially (8-6pm M-Th, 8-5pm F). If you are in the top 10% or so you will have more flexibility than this. With my math, that makes required working hours about 44 per week which is not at all unreasonable for a job that is predominantly sales.

5. People!
    Our CEO will tell you that this company's competitive advantage is truly its people. Although I am not close with every individual at the office, I can say that those that work here, for the most part, care very much about making the office a great atmosphere and a comfortable place to work.

6. Comapny Events
    -Although this is more of a bonus than a positive, I do appreciate the fact that TWG cares enough about its employees to spend hug amounts of money every other month or so for an event that rewards its employees. These events are also an excellent way for co-workers to get to know one another better, which makes the workplace a much more comfortable place.

6. Diversity
    -When I started work at TWG, one demographic accounted for the vast majority of employees at the company. I can now say that this is quickly changing. Although a slow process, recruiters at TWG are making a huge effort to recruit outside the box. By this I mean that TWG is no longer soly recruiting large state Universities. They are using other resources that are more capable of finding qualified individuals from a multitude of backgrounds and life experiences .Although bringing diversity into the workplace is a slow process, I am already seeing a huge difference from the day I started working.

Cons

1. Work Schedule
    -This, like I said above, is both a Pro and a Con. I completely agree with the official work hours here but, unfortunately, often find it difficult to actually be ready to go by 6pm. This is partly because I am still learning to become more efficient at how I manage my time, but is also partly because I am often stuck on the phone with a potential client that requires attending to at a late hour. Neither of these issues are the direct fault of TWG, but ARE an inevitable part of a sales career, especially this one. With time, I am sure I will learn how to use my time better and put myself in position to head home at closing. Many people, even less experienced people do this.

2. Emotional Toll
    -As this job is cyclical in nature, there will be times that will make you want to question your desire to stick with it, or will make you question your ability to succeed (In my opinion, this more than any other factor has contributred to the high turnover that other before have referred to). It is important, however, to always think long term with this job. It is also important to be mentally tough so that down times only make you stronger and do not casue you to make a rash decision and give up before having an opportunity to succeed.

Not much to say. Management is doing a great job!

TWG Insurance is the right place for ambitious and dedicated people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

Hard work is rewarded, no politics involved. The work you put in is recognized by management. Management does a great job helping you develop your strengths and strengthen your weaknesses. Promotions and compensation are fair and merit based. Fun work environment and plenty of events/parties that allow for socializing outside of the office.

Cons

Just like every other company, some coworkers who don't want to put in the hard work necessary to develop their own skills and to further the productivity of the company as a whole can create negativity in the office.

The leaders of TWG do a great job facilitating learning and growth.

Strong learning and professional development.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

Great People
    Fast paced learning environment
    Management is respectful and knowledgeable
    Growing company
    Room for upward movement
    Pay for performance
    Fairly paid
    Fun work environment
    Great location (next to a bunch of restaurants)
    Very nice building
    Comfortable work environment
    Management is interested in you as a person

Cons

Pay for performance is a two edge sword- If you are performing well you are paid well but if you are having a slow month you do not get paid very much
    Work hours can be long
    Some employees have an entitlement attitude that gets frustrating to those around, some of the out of state hires have been particularly annoying

Keep being in touch with employees on a personal level. It makes them feel like you care about their individual growth.

Challenging but rewarding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Colleyville, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colleyville, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

- much more responsiblity than I would have had elsewhere
    - pushed me out of my comfort zone
    - great benefits; considerably better than my husband's job

Cons

- high pressure
    - frustration with the lack of commitment of some coworkers
    - hours weren't completely static--my attention was required outside of normal business hours at times

I know that recruiting practices have changed to give potential employees a more accurate view of what it means to work in insurance. My advice would be to continue that trend so that the employees you hire are committed and prepared for their jobs.

Worked for TWG Insurance? Contribute to the Community!