TWIST

Updated July 15, 2014
Updated July 15, 2014
3.2

Paul Schneider

Twist taught me how to be a professional.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at TWIST full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for Twist for almost 2 years, and have nothing but good things to say about my time there. I went in having been a manager at a smaller boutique and thinking that I was a good salesperson, but I had no idea how much they would help me in so many ways. I had no experience selling jewelry, but they trained me extensively on metals, stones, and the various techniques the jewelry artists use to make their jewelry. Even though it is commission based selling, they gave me a time to really learn the store before expecting me to be a competitive seller. Because it is still managed by the actual owners, they have a very personal approach to their business. The owners are artists themselves, and grew the store from a tiny baby to what it is today. They have a hands on approach to every aspect of the store. I loved working for people who really believed in their vision, and in every single thing they were selling. It was exciting to tell the story of how they started the store, of the different artists at Twist, and to feel that I had become part of that story. They were extremely clear about what they expected of me, and very open with their time and any questions I ever had. As an employee, I felt taken care of, not just with the generous commission rate, but also with full insurance, and the discount. They treated me as an individual, and made me feel very appreciated for who I am, and the unique skills that I brought to the job. Every morning started with "getting dressed" with jewelry to model for the day, and I enjoyed having lunch in "the kitchen" with my co-workers. As supportive as the environment was, the store itself is extremely organized, and is run like clockwork. It is a compassionate business, but also extremely focused, with systems in place to help you be an excellent seller, to help you build your own relationships with customers, and thus, to really sell and make money.

Cons

If you are looking for an anonymous job that requires the bare minimum from you, this may not be the place for you. Twist, in my opinion, is that elusive dream job that everyone is looking for. I now work for a big, established store on Madison Avenue in NY as a jewelry specialist because of my experience at Twist, but I will always miss the family feeling I had there.

I don't have any advice to the management, because they were open to it moment by moment while I worked there, and we are still on excellent terms.

Best sales job I've had

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at TWIST full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are three things that are really important to me in a sales job: fair compensation, a company with integrity that treats me well, and a product that I can believe in. Twist offered all of that when I worked for them. I've been a professional salesperson for many years and have not worked for a company that financially compensates their employees as well as Twist. Commission is a huge motivator for me, like most sales people, so that was a huge plus. As a fulltime salesperson I also got really good health insurance, dental insurance, eye coverage, pto and the owners funded a 401k. The managers and owners were compassionate and respectful towards me and the rest of my co-workers. The values of Twist were evident from the start of training and are passed along well from the owners to the managers and through the rest of the sales staff. It was easy for me to stand behind and believe in the items that we sold. The uniqueness of each piece and the people that created them made selling the work enjoyable. The customer base was as engaged in the products as the rest of the salespeople were. The staff that I worked with was really passionate about what we sold and the store that we worked for. We all got along really well, and even though we were working on commission it didn't seem overly competitive.

Cons

The only negative I have is that they don't have a store in the city where I moved to.

Continue to look for professional sales people, offer top level compensation and foster a respectful workplace.

Awful

I worked at TWIST

Pros

Good work out, stand all day, run to follow customers around the store, walk up and down the stairs to get back stock, pretty jewelry..ok home

Cons

terrible management, awful co workers, owner watches staff at all times and comments on if they stalk , i mean help a customer, if even the managers customer comes in you ring the sale under them ...even if you helped the customer completely for no matter how long, unethical on every level.
    worked for 2 mos at in the slowest time of the year .. i guess i saw i would make no money so i left.

get new leadership that know what they are doing.

Difficult Employment at Independent Jewelry Retailer

I worked at TWIST

Pros

Inspiring to work in an environment with so much beautiful art and jewelry. Co-workers were generally very easy to work with and supportive of one another. Although this is not the main reason I worked here, the employee discounts were generous.

Cons

Management had terrible communication skills and would not provide feedback on performance in any positive light. The only time you heard about how you were doing was if they felt you were doing something wrong. Little focus to educating employees about items for sale and motivating them to do well. Senior management was terrible at picking other management which affected everyone. Management slow to take action when it was obviously needed. Difficult to feel good at work. Although the employee discount was great, the hourly wages were too pitiful to take advantage of it without a significant saving time. Overall, fairly difficult and energy-depleting employment environment.

Communicate with all staff on an ongoing basis. When employee disciplinary action is needed, take action in a timely fashion - don't let morale go down because necessary changes are not being made. Find new ways to motivate staff and promote talent.

The worst job experience I've ever had.

I worked at TWIST

Pros

The pay is decent and you work on a commission.

Cons

The management was not consistent, picked favorites, and were highly unprofessional.

Cut back on the workplace gossip and slandor.