TXI Reviews

Updated June 27, 2014
Updated June 27, 2014
3.1

Mel Brekhus

TXI - good company to work for, cares about employees.

Current Employee - Director IS Solution Delivery/PMO in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director IS Solution Delivery/PMO in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TXI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TXI was very pro-employee and also pro-customer. The company culture was very good also. Had it not been for the merger with Martin Marietta, I would have expected to retire at TXI.

Cons

Only Con to mention was the poor management decisions that caused the company to lose money over the past 3-4 years and made the company a take-over target.

It is moot at this point with the merger finalizing with Martin Marietta and very little TXI management being included in the merged company, however related to the Con above, I would have liked to see the management team make a better assessment of their California operation and perhaps have cut their losses sooner with regard to that asset.

Love working at TXI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TXI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Technology. They use VMWare and are a VDI / Oracle shop. Lots of challenges and opportunities to learn something new.

Cons

Recently sold to Martin Marietta and the future is in question for those employed there for post purchase changes.

Knowing is so much better than not knowing - give folks a chance to look elsewhere if they will be let go.

Very greedy company with little respect for it's employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midlothian, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midlothian, TX

I have been working at TXI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Better pay than flipping burgers??

Cons

Poor management, low pay, not enough staff to properly do the job, can't advance unless you are one of the "good ole boys",

Need more staff, listen to the employees

Couldn't pay me enough money to go back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at TXI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent benefits, associates pleasant to work with

Cons

Family "owned" company with limited advancement if you don't have the same last name. Expected to work 24/7 with little or no work life balance & if you mention the long hours/late night calls, manager tells you it's part of the job & will not offer any relief. Poor bonuses. No opportunity for personal development. Management cares more about their bonuses than employee well being, and will unload extra work (often their own) on them so they can reap the benefits without putting in the work.

Thank you for the opportunity to learn how to work with poor management. Please train management on their employee's responsibilities so they can assist if needed, especially with coverage during vacations and personal time off

Love working at TXI - Good company to work at.

Current Employee - Senior UNIX Administrator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior UNIX Administrator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TXI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good technology and management that is informed.

Cons

Location - its a long drive.

Keep on growing the business - I am liking the stock price!

Has its pros and cons

I have been working at TXI full-time

Pros

Decent Pay
    All training provided to people with no experience
    Flexible work schedules if time needed for Dr Appts.

Cons

Long hours in the summer... often working 12 hr days - 6, sometimes 7 days a week
    Hours dropped back to 40 hrs in the winter months, which can drastically impact the paycheck when you are used to the summer months, so plan accordingly
    Often told on Friday that you are working on Saturday
    If a paid holiday falls on a weekday, management likes to have you work that day and then take Friday off.. fine for some holidays, but 4th of July, New Years Eve, Christmas, should not be changed. And if there is a holiday, you can expect to work Saturday of the following week to make up for lost production days.

Give employees advance notice before working on the weekend, not the day before.

Best IT Department of my Career

Current Employee - IT Management in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TXI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company places importance on ethics. Personal life is on par with professional life in terms of importance. Low turnover. Multitude of long term employees. Progressive within the industry. Green initiative. Community involvement. Talent pool within IT is very impressive. Senior Management open door policy. VP is knowledgeable and supportive of individual contributors and managers without micromanaging.

Cons

Company is mid-sized with flat organizational structure. Employee happiness results in low turnover so promotion opportunity is rare. This, clearly, is only a con with regard to individuals who are looking for rapid advancement in their careers. Central to Dallas so suburban commute is difficult.

Continue efforts at improved communication, employee development, and promoting within. Very satisfied with all efforts of management.

You can't ever plan anything in your personal time.

Former Employee - Information Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Information Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at TXI

Pros

Opportunity to learn new technologies

Cons

Lots of weekends with no comp time and very difficult to get pto. You need to call in sick in order to get time off. Unrealistic expectations in regards to work load with no raises and no bonuses. Weekend work in usually thrown on you at the last minute (like the Wednesday or Thursday before), management acts like it is a bad thing if you don't like to do it that way. My manager threw me under the bus when I was out at a doctor's appointment to my director after all of the weekend time I've put in and time taken away from my family. They have a very high stress atmosphere, very negative with nothing in return. So pretty much I have no personal time and no money. I was on call 24x7 for 7 months straight. The management doesn't like to hire people because they want bigger bonuses.

Upper management and management in general do not care for their employees or their family life. They only care for their kids and wives and getting those big bonuses. They just need a warm body and number to assign to you.

YOU NEED TO CARE FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES. Quit being greedy and address the human side of things.

Satisfactory

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at TXI

Pros

It is nice to see that the product you provide has helped build a city. The fruits of your labor will be around for generations. The people are friendly.

Cons

This is a commodity driven sector. It is nice to have a company that prides itself on providing the best product but the bottom line is that the product must be at an affordable price.

Keep providing the quality product that you are providing. Continue to look for ways in which the product can be delivered at an affordable price to the end user.

Ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TXI

Pros

There are really good people who work with TXI.

Cons

Top Heavy Family Business....very little chance of promotion or advancement.